|Median resident age:||42.4 years|
|Iowa median age:||44.4 years|
Zip codes: 51528.
Dow City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $64,074 (it was $34,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $443.
- White alone - 463 (90.8%)
- Hispanic - 46 (9.0%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.2%)
Latest news from Dow City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (42.2%), Swedish (8.3%), Irish (7.3%), United States (6.8%), English (4.3%), Norwegian (2.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 02/22/1884
Elevation: 1131 feet
Land area: 0.32 square miles.
Population density: 1,619 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Dow City:
- High school or higher: 80.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Dow City city:
- Never married: 23.4%
- Now married: 57.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 13.5%
43 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Dow City, Iowa as of July 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Dow City to the number of sex offenders is 514 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $527 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $576 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Council Bluffs, IA (50.4 miles , pop. 58,268).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (53.4 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (402.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Arion, IA (1.5 miles) , Buck Grove, IA (2.2 miles) , Dunlap, IA (2.7 miles ), Denison, IA (3.1 miles ), Defiance, IA (3.3 miles ), Charter Oak, IA (3.3 miles ), Earling, IA (3.4 miles ), Ute, IA (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $175,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $145,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.93 N, Longitude: 95.49 W
Area code: 712
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (35%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (16%)
- Transportation and warehousing (12%)
- Construction (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Wholesale trade (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Manufacturing (23%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Wholesale trade (3%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (19%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (15%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Food processing workers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (8%)
- Secondary school teachers (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (7%)
- Food processing workers (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
Average climate in Dow City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dow City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 77% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1992, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 3.6 miles away from the Dow City city center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/26/1976, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.0 miles away from the city center injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Dow City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Iowa state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 183.3 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 253.2 miles away from Dow City center
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB) earthquake occurred 260.2 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 89.6 miles away from the city center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 112.4 miles away from Dow City center
On 8/9/1997 at 17:46:03, a magnitude 3.4 (3.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 87.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Crawford County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Dow City:
- DUNLAP NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; DUNLAP, IA)
- CRAWFORD COUNTY HOME HEALTH HO (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; DENISON, IA)
- EVENTIDE LUTHERAN HOME FOR THE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; DENISON, IA)
- MOSAIC-SETTLERS (Hospital, about 11 miles away; DENISON, IA)
- DENISON CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; DENISON, IA)
- MANILLA MANOR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; MANILLA, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Dow City:
- Iowa Western Community College (about 48 miles; Council Bluffs, IA; Full-time enrollment: 5,344)
- Metropolitan Community College Area (about 50 miles; Omaha, NE; FT enrollment: 12,236)
- Creighton University (about 52 miles; Omaha, NE; FT enrollment: 5,370)
- Buena Vista University (about 52 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
- University of Nebraska Medical Center (about 53 miles; Omaha, NE; FT enrollment: 2,815)
- University of Nebraska at Omaha (about 54 miles; Omaha, NE; FT enrollment: 12,073)
- Bellevue University (about 59 miles; Bellevue, NE; FT enrollment: 7,139)
Public elementary/middle school in Dow City:
- Boyer Valley Elementary School (Students: 220; Location: 212 School St; Grades: PK-5)
Library in Dow City:
Notable locations in Dow City: Dow City (A), Dow House Historic Site (B), Dow City Arion Fire Department (C), Dow City Library (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Dow City include: Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (A), Saint Mary Catholic Church (B), United Methodist Church (C), Bethlehem Lutheran Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Dow City that have no violations reported:
- DOW CITY WATER WORKS (Population served: 510, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(26.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 45.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Dow City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Dow City (2011 data):
- Defiance State Bank: Dow City Branch at 254 Franklin Street, branch established on 1955/07/01. Info updated 2011/08/29: Bank assets: $26.0 mil, Deposits: $22.9 mil, headquarters in Defiance, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Union Bancorporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (69%)
- Electricity (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Dow City city (based on Crawford County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 72.65%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Lutheran Church||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||United Church of Christ|
|Name||Baptist General Conference||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Community Church of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Crawford County:||3.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Crawford County:||8.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||7||$1,737|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$1,244|
|Totals for Government||1||$2,932||$35,184||8||$2,981|
Dow City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $55,000 ($106.59)
Regular Highways: $51,000 ($98.84)
- Current Operations - Solid Waste Management: $39,000 ($75.58)
Water Utilities: $30,000 ($58.14)
General - Other: $26,000 ($50.39)
Police Protection: $21,000 ($40.70)
General Public Buildings: $16,000 ($31.01)
Regular Highways: $12,000 ($23.26)
Sewerage: $11,000 ($21.32)
Financial Administration: $11,000 ($21.32)
Parks & Recreation: $3,000 ($5.81)
Central Staff Services: $3,000 ($5.81)
Fire Protection: $3,000 ($5.81)
Judicial and Legal Services: $2,000 ($3.88)
Libraries: $1,000 ($1.94)
- General - Interest on Debt: $9,000 ($17.44)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $18,000 ($34.88)
Regular Highways: $12,000 ($23.26)
Sewerage: $1,000 ($1.94)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $58,000 ($112.40)
Dow City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $35,000 ($67.83)
Sewerage: $24,000 ($46.51)
All Other: $2,000 ($3.88)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Housing & Community Development: $21,000 ($40.70)
All Other: $13,000 ($25.19)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $11,000 ($21.32)
Property Sale Other: $9,000 ($17.44)
Interest Earnings: $4,000 ($7.75)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $79,000 ($153.10)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $40,000 ($77.52)
General Support: $7,000 ($13.57)
- Tax - Property: $60,000 ($116.28)
Total General Sales: $28,000 ($54.26)
Public Utilities: $5,000 ($9.69)
NEC: $2,000 ($3.88)
Dow City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $199,000 ($385.66)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $183,000 ($354.65)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $16,000 ($31.01)
Dow City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $217,000 ($420.54)
5.85% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,632 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Polk County, IA||0.38% ($22,840 average AGI)|
|from Buena Vista County, IA||0.35% ($27,478)|
|from Carroll County, IA||0.31% ($32,650)|
6.08% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,896 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dow City:
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOMJ (590 AM; 5 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KDSN (1530 AM; 1 kW; DENISON, IA)
- KLNG (1560 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA)
- KOZN (1620 AM; 10 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTIC (840 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WEST POINT, NE; Owner: WEST POINT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dow City:
- KDSN-FM (107.1 FM; DENISON, IA; Owner: M & J RADIO CORPORATION)
- KXKT (103.7 FM; GLENWOOD, IA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKIA (92.9 FM; IDA GROVE, IA; Owner: JIM DANDY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KMLV (88.1 FM; RALSTON, NE; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KZSR (102.3 FM; ONAWA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KILV (107.5 FM; CASTANA, IA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Dow City:
- KHIN (Channel 36; RED OAK, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KMTV (Channel 3; OMAHA, NE; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KYNE-TV (Channel 26; OMAHA, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- KMEG (Channel 14; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: WAITT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KPTH (Channel 44; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF SIOUX CITY)
- KTIV (Channel 4; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: KTIV TELEVISION, INC.)
- KSIN-TV (Channel 27; SIOUX CITY, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- WOWT-TV (Channel 6; OMAHA, NE; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
Dow City fatal accident list:
Aug 9, 1986 02:40 AM, M-14, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 2
Feb 14, 1976 08:10 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: WD0Q, Licensee ID: L01454443
Grant Date: 12/24/2008, Expiration Date: 12/24/2018
Registrant: Paul E Rehm, Dow City, IA 51528
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Dow City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Dow City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Dow City on our top lists:
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Food"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Social scientists and related workers"
- #49 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Construction and extraction occupations:"
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Physicians and surgeons"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Other sales and related workers including supervisors"