We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.3 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 60420.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $25,357 (it was $20,928 in 2000)
Dwight village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $119,269 (it was $91,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $125,185; Detached houses: $132,550; Townhouses or other attached units: $108,589; In 2-unit structures: $68,905; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $113,838; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $89,766; Mobile homes: $24,376
Median gross rent in 2013: $686.
Races in Dwight, IL (2010)
- 4,03294.6%White alone
- 360.8%Black alone
- 270.6%Two or more races
- 210.5%Asian alone
- 20.05%American Indian alone
- 20.05%Other race alone
|At what point does it start to get "country"? (112 replies)|
|Interstate 55 Construction in 2002 (8 replies)|
|Trying to move from orland park to dwight (1 reply)|
|south suburbs? (91 replies)|
|Does anyone like living in the Chicago suburbs, yet partial to experiencing cities other than Chicago? (11 replies)|
|Question about a South Suburb (13 replies)|
Latest news from Dwight, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (25.3%), Irish (14.0%), English (8.2%), United States (7.9%), Danish (5.2%), Polish (4.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 01/29/1874
Elevation: 640 feet
Land area: 2.57 square miles.
Population density: 1,612 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Dwight:
- High school or higher: 90.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.6%
- Unemployed: 11.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Dwight village:
- Never married: 22.8%
- Now married: 59.1%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 9.9%
45 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Dwight, Illinois as of July 31, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Dwight to the number of sex offenders is 422 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $3,432 (2.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $3,116 (2.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Joliet, IL (34.6 miles , pop. 106,221).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Chicago, IL (64.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Campus, IL (2.8 miles) , Odell, IL (2.8 miles ), Gardner, IL (3.0 miles ), Emington, IL (3.0 miles) , Reddick, IL (3.1 miles ), Verona, IL (3.1 miles ), South Wilmington, IL (3.1 miles ), Kinsman, IL (3.2 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $112,200
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $217,500
- 1999: 7 buildings, average cost: $98,100
- 2000: 20 buildings, average cost: $61,300
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $129,800
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $129,800
- 2003: 7 buildings, average cost: $154,900
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $162,500
- 2005: 13 buildings, average cost: $194,800
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $185,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $177,500
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $212,500
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $180,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $246,500
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $60,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.09 N, Longitude: 88.43 W
Area code: 815
|Crime rates in Dwight by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||205.2||132.9||131.8||168.3||156.5||115.3||156.3||142.5||185.7||54.0||164.0||66.7||68.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Dwight detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.90|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +106 (+2.5%).
- Manufacturing (32%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Construction (10%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Production occupations (14%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (12%)
- Material moving occupations (12%)
- Transportation occupations (10%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (14%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (8%)
- Production occupations (6%)
Average climate in Dwight, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dwight-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 76% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1990, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 34.1 miles away from the Dwight village center killed 29 people and injured 350 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/17/1963, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.1 miles away from the village center killed one person and injured 70 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Dwight-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Illinois state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 184.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 159.8 miles away from Dwight center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 35.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 217.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 183.6 miles away from Dwight center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 173.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Livingston County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 5, Floods: 3, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Clay Harbor - Player of football.
Hospitals and medical centers in Dwight:
Airports located in Dwight:
- Dwight Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 650, Local Ops: 1,350)
- Jim & Peg Rla Airport (Runways: 1)
- Sauer Airport (Runways: 1)
- Watters Airport (Runways: 1)
Operable nuclear power plants near Dwight:
- 17 miles: Braidwood 2 in Braidwood, IL.
- 17 miles: Braidwood 1 in Braidwood, IL.
- 18 miles: LaSalle County 1 in Seneca, IL.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Dwight:
- Olivet Nazarene University (about 30 miles; Bourbonnais, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,731)
- Kankakee Community College (about 31 miles; Kankakee, IL; FT enrollment: 2,969)
- Joliet Junior College (about 31 miles; Joliet, IL; FT enrollment: 11,401)
- University of St Francis (about 35 miles; Joliet, IL; FT enrollment: 2,454)
- Illinois Valley Community College (about 39 miles; Oglesby, IL; FT enrollment: 2,747)
- Lewis University (about 40 miles; Romeoville, IL; FT enrollment: 5,739)
- Governors State University (about 45 miles; University Park, IL; FT enrollment: 4,043)
Public high schools in Dwight:
Private high school in Dwight:
Public elementary/middle school in Dwight:
- Dwight Common School (Location: 801 S Columbia St; Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Dwight: Dwight Sewage Works (A), Dwight Fire Protection District (B), Dwight Chicago and Alton Railroad Depot (C), Dwight Village Hall (D), Dwight Emergency Medical Services (E), Prairie Creek Public Library (F), William Fox Developmental Center (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Dwight include: Church of the Nazarene (A), Dwight United Methodist Church (B), Emanuel Lutheran Church (C), First Baptist Church (D), First Congregational Church (E), New Assembly of God Church (F), Pioneer Gothic Church (G), Saint Patricks Roman Catholic Church (H), Saint Peters Evangelical Lutheran Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Dwight Old Town Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoir: Dwight Lions Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Dwight include: Renfrew Park (1), Robert W Stephenson Memorial Swimming Pool (2), Florence W Garrett Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Dwight Historical Society (Historical Places & Services; 119 West Main Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 64.9. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2000 was 0.201. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2000 was 9.21. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 15.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 28.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.41. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.2 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Dwight and their reported violations in the past:DWIGHT (Population served: 4,400, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Water Quality Parameter M/R - Between JAN-2006 and JUN-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-11-2006), St Compliance achieved (JUL-12-2006)
(8.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 41.2% for Black residents, 40.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 71.3% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
81 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities in 2010
161 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
68 people in nursing homes in 2000
Dwight compared to Illinois state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Dwight (2011 data):
- Bank of Pontiac: Dwight Branch at 132 East Main, branch established on 1855/04/14; Motor Facility at East Chippewa And Franklin, branch established on 1975/12/01. Info updated 2010/08/04: Bank assets: $390.3 mil, Deposits: $329.4 mil, headquarters in Pontiac, IL, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Pontiac Bancorp, Inc.
- Centrue Bank: Dwight Branch at 302 West Mazon Avenue, branch established on 1885/01/01. Info updated 2007/06/27: Bank assets: $964.9 mil, Deposits: $850.6 mil, headquarters in Streator, IL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 28 total offices, Holding Company: Centrue Financial Corporation
- The First National Bank of Dwight: The First National Bank Of Dwight at 122 W. Main Street, branch established on 1905/02/01. Info updated 2010/06/01: Bank assets: $129.6 mil, Deposits: $105.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: First Dwight Corporation
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Dwight, Illinois:
- Carefree Motel, 320 Old Rt 66, Dwight, IL 60420 , Phone: (815) 584-3079
- Super 8 Motel Dwight, 14 E Northbrook Dr, Dwight, IL 60420 , Phone: (815) 584-1888
- Classic Inn Of Dwight, 15 E Northbrook Dr, Dwight, IL 60420 , Phone: (815) 584-1200
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (83%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Dwight village (based on Livingston County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Livingston County:||1.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Livingston County:||0.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Livingston County:||5.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$1,654|
|Police Protection - Officers||9||$41,214||$54,952||1||$720|
|Police - Other||1||$2,842||$34,104||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||2||$9,216||$55,296||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$3,068||$36,816||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$2,760||$33,120||2||$1,250|
|Totals for Government||19||$83,418||$52,685||14||$7,863|
Dwight government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Sewerage: $1,060,000 ($255.36)
Water Utilities: $161,000 ($38.79)
General Public Buildings: $10,000 ($2.41)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $702,000 ($169.12)
Sewerage: $464,000 ($111.78)
Solid Waste Management: $460,000 ($110.82)
Regular Highways: $458,000 ($110.33)
Water Utilities: $391,000 ($94.19)
Financial Administration: $339,000 ($81.67)
Health Services - Other: $283,000 ($68.18)
Parks & Recreation: $170,000 ($40.95)
General Public Buildings: $100,000 ($24.09)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $45,000 ($10.84)
Parks & Recreation: $11,000 ($2.65)
Central Staff: $4,000 ($0.96)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,038,000 ($250.06)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $244,000 ($58.78)
Dwight government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $576,000 ($138.76)
Solid Waste Management: $227,000 ($54.69)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $330,000 ($79.50)
Interest Earnings: $41,000 ($9.88)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $635,000 ($152.98)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $1,531,000 ($368.83)
Highways: $120,000 ($28.91)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $333,000 ($80.22)
Property: $307,000 ($73.96)
NEC: $56,000 ($13.49)
Dwight government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $4,075,000 ($981.69)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $3,895,000 ($938.33)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $180,000 ($43.36)
Dwight government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $143,000 ($34.45)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $790,000 ($190.32)
4.54% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,906 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from McLean County, IL||0.79% ($27,684 average AGI)|
|from Grundy County, IL||0.42% ($34,419)|
|from La Salle County, IL||0.40% ($30,119)|
5.14% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,845 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dwight:
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WVIV (1200 AM; 20 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLXX-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- WAUR (930 AM; 4 kW; SANDWICH, IL; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WIND (560 AM; 5 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dwight:
- WJEZ (98.9 FM; DWIGHT, IL; Owner: LIVINGSTON COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WJDK-FM (95.7 FM; SENECA, IL; Owner: GRUNDY COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC)
- WRXQ (100.7 FM; COAL CITY, IL; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WYKT (105.5 FM; WILMINGTON, IL; Owner: STARADIO CORPORATION)
- WCFL (104.7 FM; MORRIS, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS DISTRICT COUNCIL OF ASSEMBL)
- WYXX (103.1 FM; MORRIS, IL; Owner: BIG CITY RADIO-CHI, L.L.C.)
- WYST (107.7 FM; FAIRBURY, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WJCH (91.9 FM; JOLIET, IL; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WWGN (88.9 FM; OTTAWA, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- WCCQ (98.3 FM; CREST HILL, IL; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF JOLIET, INC.)
- WALS (102.1 FM; OGLESBY, IL; Owner: LACO RADIO, INC.)
- WPJC (88.3 FM; PONTIAC, IL; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WSTQ (97.7 FM; STREATOR, IL; Owner: MENDOTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKOT (96.5 FM; MARSEILLES, IL; Owner: LASALLE COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WYYS (106.1 FM; STREATOR, IL; Owner: MENDOTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Dwight:
- WWTO-TV (Channel 35; LASALLE, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W34CD (Channel 34; QUINCY, IL; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WYIN (Channel 56; GARY, IN; Owner: NORTHWEST INDIANA PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 15Number of bridges
- 34m112ftTotal length
- $162,000Total costs
- 72,700Total average daily traffic
- 15,673Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 46 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Dwight, IL)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 26 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Dwight)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 13 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Dwight)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 30
- Hazardous Condition: 16
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Dwight
|Most common first names in Dwight, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Dwight, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Dwight, IL|
|Burger King||1||MasterBrand Cabinets||1|
Dwight on our top lists:
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in homes for the mentally retarded"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Printing and related support activities"
- #40 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Printing and related support activities"
- #21 (60420) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Danish first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"