We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||39.4 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36360
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,584 (it was $15,584 in 2000)
Echo CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $90,327 (it was $52,200 in 2000)
Races in Echo, AL (2000)
- 1,96493.8%White alone
- 813.9%Black alone
- 221.1%Two or more races
- 160.8%American Indian alone
- 20.10%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 454 feet
Land area: 95.4 square miles.
Population density: 22 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Echo:
- High school or higher: 72.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.8%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Echo CCD:
- Never married: 14.3%
- Now married: 67.3%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 8.5%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Echo CCD:||0.4% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dothan, AL (17.7 miles , pop. 57,737).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Montgomery, AL (77.4 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (601.7 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Newville, AL (3.0 miles ), Ozark, AL (3.2 miles ), Napier Field, AL (3.4 miles ), Headland, AL (3.4 miles ), Newton, AL (3.4 miles ), Midland City, AL (3.4 miles ), Grimes, AL (3.5 miles ), Pinckard, AL (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 31.48 N, Longitude: 85.47 W
Area code: 334
Unemployment by year (%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Construction (11%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Utilities (6%)
- Other transportation, and support activities, and couriers (6%)
- Plastics and rubber products (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Health care (13%)
- Apparel (8%)
- Personal and laundry services (7%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (14%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Engineers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
Average climate in Echo, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Echo-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 52% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 30.0 miles away from the Echo place center killed 9 people and injured 50 people and caused $250 million in damages.
On 1/13/1972, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.4 miles away from the place center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Echo-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 109.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 368.4 miles away from Echo center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 169.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 208.8 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 239.8 miles away from Echo center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 165.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dale County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 13, Floods: 9, Tornadoes: 9, Hurricanes: 5, Winds: 3, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Echo:
- COMMUNITY HOSPICE OF DALE MEDICAL CENTER (Hospital, about 10 miles away; OZARK, AL)
- DALE MEDICAL CTR HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; OZARK, AL)
- DALE MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; OZARK, AL)
- OZARK DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; OZARK, AL)
- OZARK HEALTH AND REHABILITATION, LLC (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; OZARK, AL)
- AMEDISYS HOME HEALTH OF OZARK (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; OZARK, AL)
- OAKVIEW MANOR HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; OZARK, AL)
Operable nuclear power plants near Echo:
- 18 miles: Joseph M. Farley 1 and 2 in Dothan, AL.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Echo:
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 12 miles; Dothan, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,611)
- Enterprise State Community College (about 26 miles; Enterprise, AL; FT enrollment: 2,101)
- Troy University (about 37 miles; Troy, AL; FT enrollment: 16,148)
- Tuskegee University (about 68 miles; Tuskegee, AL; FT enrollment: 2,810)
- Bainbridge State College (about 69 miles; Bainbridge, GA; FT enrollment: 2,308)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 75 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
- Darton State College (about 75 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 5,000)
Notable locations in Echo: Adams Mill (A), Choctawhatchee Volunteer Fire Department (B), Echo Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Echo include: Mount Carmel Church (A), New Hope Church (B), Peniel Baptist Church (C), Mount Pisgah Baptist Church (D), Mount Enon Baptist Church (E), Browns United Methodist Church (F), Clopton United Methodist Church (G), Christian Hill Church (H), Echo United Methodist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Salem Cemetery (1), Dykes Cemetery (2), Abbeville Cemetery (3), Christian Hill Cemetery (4), Clopton Cemetery (5), New Hope Cemetery (6), Mount Carmel Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Barfield Lake (A), Lake Arthur (B), Ammons Pond (C), Harris Pond (D), Newton Pond (E), Jerry Mcdaniel Lake (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Seabes Creek (A), Roberts Branch (B), Middle Creek (C), Stuckey Mill Creek (D), Kelly Creek (E), Hopn Branch (F), Sikes Creek (G), Dry Creek (H), Caney Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 63.3. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 28.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 21.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 13.3. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 18.1 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Echo CCD (based on Dale County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dale County:||1.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dale County:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dale County:||6.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
12.71% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,203 average adjusted gross income)
0.42% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,312 average AGI)
Dale County: 0.42% Alabama average: 0.05%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Houston County, AL||1.94% ($28,603 average AGI)|
|from Coffee County, AL||1.37% ($31,459)|
|from Henry County, AL||0.33% ($31,789)|
13.25% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($40,568 average adjusted gross income)
0.72% of residents moved to foreign countries ($2,185 average AGI)
Dale County: 0.72% Alabama average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Echo:
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WAGF (1320 AM; 3 kW; DOTHAN, AL)
- WOZK (900 AM; 1 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: OZARK B/CING. CORP.)
- WTKN (1560 AM; daytime; 5 kW; DALEVILLE, AL; Owner: JOSEPH A. ADAMS, SR.)
- WTBF (970 AM; 5 kW; TROY, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Echo:
- WAQG (91.7 FM; OZARK, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WJRL-FM (103.9 FM; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WTVY-FM (95.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WOOF-FM (99.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WIZB (94.3 FM; ABBEVILLE, AL; Owner: CELEBRATIONS COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY, INC.)
- WDYF (90.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: FAITH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXUS (100.5 FM; FORT RUCKER, AL; Owner: SKYWAY BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WKMX (106.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: WKMX, INC.)
- WDJR (96.9 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WESP (102.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WAGF-FM (101.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WOAB (104.9 FM; OZARK, AL; Owner: OZARK BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRWA (88.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: TROY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WZTZ (101.1 FM; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WJJN (92.1 FM; COLUMBIA, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WVOB (91.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: BETHANY BIBLE COLLEGE & B.T.S. INC.)
- WGTF (89.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: DOTHAN COMMUNITY EDUCL. RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Echo:
- WGIQ (Channel 43; LOUISVILLE, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WDFX-TV (Channel 34; OZARK, AL; Owner: WAITT LICENSE CO. OF ALABAMA, L.L.C.)
- WDHN (Channel 18; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: MORRIS NETWORK OF ALABAMA, INC.)
- WTVY (Channel 4; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WJJN-LP (Channel 5; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: JAMES WILSON, III)
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCOV-TV (Channel 20; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: WOODS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- W41BN (Channel 41; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (26%)
- Wood (4%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Echo compared to Alabama state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.