|Median resident age:||45.1 years|
|Idaho median age:||33.2 years|
Elk City CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $153,694 (it was $100,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,895 (95.7%)
- American Indian alone - 40 (2.0%)
- Two or more races - 22 (1.1%)
- Hispanic - 18 (0.9%)
- Asian alone - 5 (0.3%)
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Elevation: 3980 feet
Land area: 5967.6 square miles.Population density: 0.3 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in Elk City:
- High school or higher: 88.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 12.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elk City CCD:
- Never married: 14.7%
- Now married: 67.2%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 13.5%
According to our research of Idaho and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Elk City, Idaho as of January 31, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Elk City to the number of sex offenders is 1,956 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Elk City CCD:||0.6% ($570)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Missoula, MT (88.4 miles , pop. 57,053).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: East Seattle, WA (337.2 miles , pop. 480,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (840.8 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Stites, ID (5.2 miles ), Kooskia, ID (5.3 miles ), Kamiah, ID (5.6 miles ), Weippe, ID (5.9 miles ), Grangeville, ID (5.9 miles ), Pierce, ID (6.0 miles ), Nezperce, ID (6.4 miles ), Pierce-Headquarters, ID (6.6 miles ).
Latitude: 46.03 N, Longitude: 115.42 W
Area code: 208
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Wood products (13%)
- Construction (11%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Health care (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other construction workers and helpers (5%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (9%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Computer specialists (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
Average climate in Elk City, Idaho
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Elk City-area historical earthquake activity is below Idaho state average. It is 116% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 156.8 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 253.2 miles away from Elk City center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 396.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK) earthquake occurred 346.2 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 8/22/1984 at 09:46:30, a magnitude 5.8 (5.0 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.8 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 128.9 miles away from Elk City center
On 10/29/1983 at 23:29:11, a magnitude 5.8 (5.4 MB, 5.0 MS, 5.8 ML) earthquake occurred 137.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Idaho County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Fires: 3, Storms: 3, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Elk City:
- Elk City Airport (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 400, Itinerant Ops: 1,900)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elk City:
- Lewis-Clark State College (about 81 miles; Lewiston, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,199)
- The University of Montana (about 90 miles; Missoula, MT; FT enrollment: 13,602)
- University of Idaho (about 91 miles; Moscow, ID; FT enrollment: 10,416)
- Washington State University (about 96 miles; Pullman, WA; FT enrollment: 25,055)
- North Idaho College (about 131 miles; Coeur d'Alene, ID; FT enrollment: 4,684)
- Walla Walla Community College (about 138 miles; Walla Walla, WA; FT enrollment: 4,263)
- Eastern Oregon University (about 139 miles; La Grande, OR; FT enrollment: 3,127)
Public elementary/middle school in Elk City:
- Elk City Public School (Students: 21; Location: 100 SCHOOL ROAD; Grades: PK-8)
Private elementary/middle school in Elk City:
Notable locations in Elk City: Elk City Ranger Station (A), Elk City Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: American Hill Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Silver Spur Outfitters (Tours & Charters; 10 South Main).
Hotels: Elk City Hotel (289 Main), Red River Corral & Cabins (Red River Hot Spring).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Elk City and their reported violations in the past:ELK CITY WATER AND SEWER ASSN (Population served: 360, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In DEC-2005
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In OCT-2005
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2008 and MAR-2008, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-31-2008)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2007 and DEC-2007, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (2 times from DEC-31-2008 to JUN-18-2009)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2007 and DEC-2007, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (2 times from DEC-31-2008 to JUN-18-2009)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2005 and MAR-2005, Contaminant: Chlorine
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
|This place:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
19 people in other workers' dormitories in 2000
7 people in other nonhousehold living situations in 2000
Elk City compared to Idaho state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (62%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (8%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Religion statistics for Elk City CCD (based on Idaho County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.56%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Church of the Nazarene||Assemblies of God|
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Idaho County:||4.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Idaho:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Idaho County:||5.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
8.32% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($41,600 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Nez Perce County, ID||0.78% ($27,158 average AGI)|
|from Ada County, ID||0.45% ($24,864)|
|from Lewis County, ID||0.37% ($38,889)|
7.88% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($29,916 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Elk City:
- KERR (750 AM; 50 kW; POLSON, MT; Owner: ANDERSON RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KQQQ (1150 AM; 25 kW; PULLMAN, WA; Owner: RADIO PALOUSE, INC.)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KWEI (1260 AM; 50 kW; WEISER, ID; Owner: TREASURE VALLEY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KGA (1510 AM; 50 kW; SPOKANE, WA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOFI (1180 AM; 50 kW; KALISPELL, MT; Owner: KOFI, INC.)
- KLER (1300 AM; 5 kW; OROFINO, ID; Owner: CENTRAL IDAHO BROADCASTING)
- KTBI (810 AM; daytime; 50 kW; EPHRATA, WA; Owner: TACOMA BROADCASTERS, INCORPORATED)
- KXLY (920 AM; 20 kW; SPOKANE, WA; Owner: SPOKANE RADIO, INC.)
- KMAX (840 AM; 10 kW; COLFAX, WA; Owner: PALOUSE COUNTRY, INC.)
- KOZE (950 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ID; Owner: 4-K RADIO, INC.)
- KLCY (930 AM; 5 kW; EAST MISSOULA, MT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KORT (1230 AM; 1 kW; GRANGEVILLE, ID; Owner: 4-K RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Elk City:
- KORT-FM (92.7 FM; GRANGEVILLE, ID; Owner: 4-K RADIO, INC.)
- KNWO (90.1 FM; COTTONWOOD, ID; Owner: WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY)
- KBAZ (96.3 FM; HAMILTON, MT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- K274AS (102.7 FM; KAMIAH, ETC., ID; Owner: WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KC7BKM, Licensee ID: L00254045
Grant Date: 05/07/2004, Expiration Date: 05/07/2014
Registrant: Christopher T Fischer, Elk City, ID 83525
- Call Sign: KD7GHC, Licensee ID: L00219316
Grant Date: 06/13/2009, Expiration Date: 08/06/2019
Registrant: James A Fischer, Elk City, ID 83525-0267
- Call Sign: KF7IXI, Licensee ID: L01558704
Grant Date: 04/01/2010, Expiration Date: 04/01/2020, Certifier: Randy W Bartlett
Registrant: Randy W Bartlett, Elk City, ID 83525
- Call Sign: KF7TLP, Licensee ID: L01683577
Grant Date: 01/20/2012, Expiration Date: 01/20/2022, Certifier: Jon M Menough
Registrant: Jon M Menough, Elk City, ID 83525
- Call Sign: KF7UFX, Licensee ID: L01691456
Grant Date: 02/24/2012, Expiration Date: 02/24/2022, Certifier: Pat T Doherty
Registrant: Pat T Doherty, Elk City, ID 83525
- Call Sign: KG7BLD, Licensee ID: L01768281
Grant Date: 02/22/2013, Expiration Date: 02/22/2023, Certifier: Bob Mackie
Registrant: Bob Mackie, Elk City, ID 83525
Elk City on our top lists:
- #4 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas"
- #41 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other workers' dormitories"
- #63 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest sunshine amount differences during a year"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations:"
- #75 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Transportation, tourism, and lodging attendants"
- #92 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Sales and office occupations:"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for 3rd party candidates in the 2004 Presidential Election"