|Median resident age:||36.1 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 31036
Elko CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $115,040 (it was $70,800 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,758 (67.0%)
- Black alone - 1,258 (30.6%)
- Hispanic - 55 (1.3%)
- American Indian alone - 16 (0.4%)
- Two or more races - 16 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 12 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.02%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 416 feet
Land area: 194.5 square miles.
|Population density: 25 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in Elko:
- High school or higher: 71.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elko CCD:
- Never married: 22.5%
- Now married: 64.6%
- Separated: 4.3%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 7.6%
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there were 7 registered sex offenders living in Elko, Georgia as of January 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Elko to the number of sex offenders is 694 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Elko CCD:||0.7% ($488)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Macon, GA (32.5 miles , pop. 97,255).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Atlanta, GA (105.5 miles , pop. 416,474).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (691.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Henderson, GA (2.7 miles ), Perry, GA (2.8 miles ), Unadilla, GA (2.9 miles ), Hawkinsville, GA (3.5 miles ), Pinehurst, GA (3.6 miles ), Finleyson, GA (4.1 miles ), Warner Robins, GA (4.1 miles ), Marshallville, GA (4.2 miles ).
Latitude: 32.37 N, Longitude: 83.66 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 478
- Public administration (15%)
- Construction (11%)
- Transportation equipment (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Wood products (3%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Health care (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Elko, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Elko-area historical tornado activity is near Georgia state average. It is 32% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/30/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.6 miles away from the Elko place center killed 18 people and injured 300 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/31/1961, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.9 miles away from the place center killed one person and injured 14 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Elko-area historical earthquake activity is near Georgia state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 124.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 185.8 miles away from Elko center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 228.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 220.6 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 208.3 miles away from Elko center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 238.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Houston County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elko:
- Central Georgia Technical College (about 13 miles; Warner Robins, GA; Full-time enrollment: 6,829)
- Fort Valley State University (about 19 miles; Fort Valley, GA; FT enrollment: 3,200)
- Middle Georgia State College (about 32 miles; Macon, GA; FT enrollment: 7,091)
- Mercer University (about 33 miles; Macon, GA; FT enrollment: 6,297)
- Georgia Southwestern State University (about 39 miles; Americus, GA; FT enrollment: 2,689)
- Gordon State College (about 55 miles; Barnesville, GA; FT enrollment: 3,336)
- Georgia Military College-Distance Learning Campuses (about 56 miles; Milledgeville, GA; FT enrollment: 6,438)
Notable locations in Elko: Davis-Felton Plantation (A), Houston County Fire Department Station 3 (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Elko include: Davis Chapel (A), Grovania Methodist Church (B), Hayneville First Baptist Church (C), Friendship Church (D), Green Grove Church (E), Holly Grove Church (F), Laidler Springs Church (G), Hayneville Church (H), Oak Grove Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Ladies Cemetery (1), Shiloh Cemetery (2), Means Lane Cemetery (3), Elko Cemetery (4), Hayneville Cemetery (5), Henderson Cemetery (6), Holmes Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Greens Pond (A), Bloodworth Lake (B), Perfect Lake (C), Kersey Lake (D), Richards Lake (E), Rush Lake (F), Miller Pond (G), Kersey Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Big Indian Creek (A), Spring Creek (B), Flat Creek (C), Elko Creek (D), Catna Creek (E), Burnham Branch (F), Big Grocery Creek (G), Okeetuck Creek (H), Neale Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 46.8. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.50. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.1 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 0.00238. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.1 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Elko and their reported violations in the past:TWIN OAKS RV CAMPING (Population served: 200, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - Between OCT-2004 and DEC-2004, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-19-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JAN-19-2005), St Public Notif received (MAR-21-2005)
|This place:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Elko compared to Georgia state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (58%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (36%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Wood (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Religion statistics for Elko CCD (based on Houston County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 52.73%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Assemblies of God|
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Non-Charismatic Churches Independent||Lutheran Church||Muslim Estimate||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Houston County:||1.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Houston County:||1.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Houston County:||4.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
9.81% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200538,333 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.54% of residents moved from foreign countries($3,016 average AGI)
Houston County: 0.54% Georgia average: 0.39%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Bibb County, GA||1.04% ($33,733 average AGI)|
|from Peach County, GA||0.72% ($33,166)|
|from Crawford County, GA||0.14% ($28,922)|
8.94% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200639,618 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.50% of residents moved to foreign countries($2,133 average AGI)
Houston County: 0.50% Georgia average: 0.09%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Elko:
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WNNG (1350 AM; 15 kW; WARNER ROBINS, GA; Owner: CHASE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPGA (980 AM; 5 kW; PERRY, GA; Owner: RADIO PERRY, INC.)
- WKTF (1550 AM; 10 kW; VIENNA, GA; Owner: SANTILLANA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXJO (1120 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GORDON, GA; Owner: ROBERTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WSB (750 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WCNN (680 AM; 50 kW; NORTH ATLANTA, GA; Owner: DICKEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGUN (1010 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: WGUN, INC.)
- WUFF (710 AM; daytime; 3 kW; EASTMAN, GA; Owner: FARNELL O'QUINN)
- WLCG (1280 AM; 5 kW; MACON, GA)
- WCEH (610 AM; 1 kW; HAWKINSVILLE, GA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WMLB (1160 AM; 50 kW; EAST POINT, GA; Owner: ATLANTA AREA BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Elko:
- WCOP-FM (99.9 FM; UNADILLA, GA; Owner: TOCCOA FALLS COLLEGE)
- WQSY (103.9 FM; HAWKINSVILLE, GA; Owner: TRI-COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDCO-FM (89.7 FM; COCHRAN, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WPGA-FM (100.9 FM; PERRY, GA; Owner: RADIO PERRY, INC.)
- WIBB-FM (97.9 FM; FORT VALLEY, GA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WMGB (95.1 FM; MONTEZUMA, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- W202BA (88.3 FM; WARNER ROBINS, GA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WELV-FM (102.5 FM; WARNER ROBINS, GA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WDEN-FM (99.1 FM; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WPEZ (93.7 FM; JEFFERSONVILLE, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAYS (105.5 FM; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WRBV (101.7 FM; WARNER ROBINS, GA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WVMG-FM (96.7 FM; COCHRAN, GA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WJTG (91.3 FM; FORT VALLEY, GA; Owner: JOY PUBLIC B/CNG CORP)
- WMCG (104.9 FM; MILAN, GA; Owner: TEL-DODGE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WQBZ (106.3 FM; FORT VALLEY, GA; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WQIL (101.3 FM; CHAUNCEY, GA; Owner: GSW, INC.)
- WBKG (88.9 FM; MACON, GA; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WPWB (90.5 FM; BYRON, GA; Owner: AUGUSTA RADIO FELLOWSHIP INST., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Elko:
- WDCO-TV (Channel 29; COCHRAN, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WPGA-TV (Channel 58; PERRY, GA; Owner: RADIO PERRY, INC.)
- WMGT-TV (Channel 41; MACON, GA; Owner: MORRIS NETWORK, INC.)
- WMAZ-TV (Channel 13; MACON, GA; Owner: GANNETT GEORGIA, L.P.)
- WGXA (Channel 24; MACON, GA; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF MACON LICENSE LLC)
- WGNM (Channel 64; MACON, GA; Owner: GOOD NEWS TELEVISION)
- WDMA-LP (Channel 32; MACON, GA; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Elko)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: KF4KHT, Licensee ID: L01131216
Grant Date: 03/22/2006, Expiration Date: 06/11/2016
Registrant: James R Drummond Sr, 145 Flournoy Rd, Elko, GA 31025
- Call Sign: KF4MWW, Licensee ID: L01161327
Grant Date: 10/24/2006, Expiration Date: 11/04/2016
Registrant: Lawrence W Kakritz, 190 Terrell Rd, Elko, GA 31025
- Call Sign: KG4OLJ, Licensee ID: L00379073
Grant Date: 05/24/2011, Expiration Date: 07/16/2021, Certifier: Richard E Gilbert
Registrant: Richard E Gilbert, 100 Gilbert Rd, Elko, GA 31025
- Call Sign: KG4VLN, Licensee ID: L00581513
Grant Date: 08/07/2012, Expiration Date: 10/15/2022, Certifier: Frederick H Watkins Iv
Registrant: Frederick H Watkins Iv, 2442 Elko Road, Elko, GA 31025
- Call Sign: KI4CHI, Licensee ID: L00745408
Grant Date: 09/22/2003, Expiration Date: 09/22/2013, Certifier: Angelina M Watkins
Registrant: Angelina M Watkins, 2442 Elko Rd, Elko, GA 31025
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Good Intent Call: 2
Elko on our top lists:
- #92 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Fuel dealers"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Recyclable material merchant wholesalers"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating to foreign countries in 2006"
- #66 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest lead air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
- #101 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of deaths per 1000 residents 1990-1999 to 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2014.