We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||28.7 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 78543.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $10,829 (it was $7,550 in 2000)
Elsa city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $51,239 (it was $34,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $109,111; Detached houses: $117,102; Townhouses or other attached units: $329,213; In 2-unit structures: $93,546; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $106,982; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $103,080; Mobile homes: $38,157; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $52,116
Median gross rent in 2013: $400.
Races in Elsa, TX (2010)
- 1122.0%White alone
- 70.1%Black alone
- 30.05%Other race alone
- 20.04%Two or more races
- 10.02%American Indian alone
|Rental for Elsa England (6 replies)|
|Houston vs. Dallas (12939 replies)|
|San antonio's hottest local news person (382 replies)|
|Only 5 day option period - too risky or do able? (25 replies)|
|Harmony school of science-Austin, anyone has kids attending this school? (9 replies)|
|Cities with cool and worst names? (74 replies)|
Latest news from Elsa, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 66 feet
Land area: 1.48 square miles.
Population density: 4,451 people per square mile(average).
For population 25 years and over in Elsa:
- High school or higher: 49.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 20.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elsa city:
- Never married: 27.9%
- Now married: 42.9%
- Separated: 6.6%
- Widowed: 15.4%
- Divorced: 7.2%
1,267 residents are foreign born (20.3% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 21 registered sex offenders living in Elsa, Texas as of September 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Elsa to the number of sex offenders is 299 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $819 (1.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $906 (1.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Southeast Hidalgo, TX (10.2 miles , pop. 102,051).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Corpus Christi, TX (106.4 miles , pop. 277,454).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (220.4 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Edcouch, TX (1.4 miles ), La Blanca, TX (1.6 miles ), La Villa, TX (2.0 miles ), Olivarez, TX (2.1 miles ), Laguna Seca, TX (2.1 miles ), San Carlos, TX (2.2 miles ), Monte Alto, TX (2.3 miles ), Mila Doce, TX (2.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 17 buildings, average cost: $58,800
- 1998: 10 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 1999: 12 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 2000: 54 buildings, average cost: $52,200
- 2001: 54 buildings, average cost: $52,200
- 2002: 62 buildings, average cost: $52,200
- 2003: 67 buildings, average cost: $52,200
- 2004: 51 buildings, average cost: $52,800
- 2005: 58 buildings, average cost: $52,000
- 2006: 48 buildings, average cost: $52,200
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $39,600
- 2008: 10 buildings, average cost: $41,300
- 2009: 16 buildings, average cost: $36,200
- 2010: 116 buildings, average cost: $123,900
- 2011: 69 buildings, average cost: $107,900
- 2012: 97 buildings, average cost: $113,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 26.30 N, Longitude: 97.99 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 956
Property values in Elsa, TX
|Crime rates in Elsa by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||319.3||572.7||560.0||563.7||497.9||700.6||674.6||305.6||452.4||312.5||453.9||431.6||297.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Elsa detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.31|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +410 (+8.0%).
- Manufacturing (16%)
- Other services, except public administration (13%)
- Construction (11%)
- Health care and social assistance (10%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Wholesale trade (9%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (27%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (24%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (16%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (27%)
- Personal care and service occupations (16%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
Average climate in Elsa, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Elsa-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Texas state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/12/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 20.1 miles away from the Elsa city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/12/1969, a category F3 tornado 27.9 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Elsa-area historical earthquake activity is below Texas state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/23/2007 at 19:09:15, a magnitude 5.6 (5.4 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 321.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 174.0 miles away from Elsa center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 427.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/24/1997 at 22:31:34, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 98.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 181.3 miles away from Elsa center
On 7/20/1991 at 23:38:19, a magnitude 3.6 (3.4 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 180.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hidalgo County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 12, Floods: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Elsa:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Elsa:
- FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE TRI-CITY (Dialysis Facility, about 8 miles away; ALAMO, TX)
- ESSENTIAL HOME CARE INC (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; WESLACO, TX)
- A HEALING TOUCH HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; WESLACO, TX)
- WESLACO DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 9 miles away; WESLACO, TX)
- A AND I HEALTHCARE INC (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; WESLACO, TX)
- MILAGROS II HOME CARE INC (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; WESLACO, TX)
- SPECTRUM HEALTH CARE SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; DONNA, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elsa:
- The University of Texas-Pan American (about 12 miles; Edinburg, TX; Full-time enrollment: 16,766)
- South Texas College (about 18 miles; McAllen, TX; FT enrollment: 19,701)
- Texas State Technical College-Harlingen (about 21 miles; Harlingen, TX; FT enrollment: 3,700)
- The University of Texas at Brownsville (about 43 miles; Brownsville, TX; FT enrollment: 9,165)
- Texas A & M University-Kingsville (about 86 miles; Kingsville, TX; FT enrollment: 9,295)
- Texas A & M University-Corpus Christi (about 107 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; FT enrollment: 9,092)
- Del Mar College (about 108 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; FT enrollment: 5,213)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- South Texas College in Weslaco (formerly STCC) is another school that should be added to the universities/college section.
Notable locations in Elsa: Elsa Fire Department (A), Elsa Police Department (B), Pulse Emergency Medical Services (C), Guardian Emergency Medical Services (D), Advanced Cardiac and Trauma Emergency Medical Services (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 56.6. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 24.2. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 18.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 28.4. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 10.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.8 miles away from the city center.
(44.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 45.1% for other race residents)
|This city:||3.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Elsa compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Elsa (2011 data):
- First National Bank: Delta Branch at 900 East Highway 107, branch established on 1989/07/24. Info updated 2007/09/20: Bank assets: $3,517.0 mil, Deposits: $2,598.8 mil, headquarters in Edinburg, TX, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 58 total offices, Holding Company: First National Bank Group, Inc.
- Elsa State Bank and Trust Company: Elsa State Bank And Trust Company at 300 West Edinburg Avenue, branch established on 1945/03/12. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $167.6 mil, Deposits: $152.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 6 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (91%)
- Utility gas (7%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Elsa city (based on Hidalgo County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hidalgo County:||1.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hidalgo County:||0.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hidalgo County:||3.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||8||$66,800||$100,200||11||$1,949|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$8,767||$52,602||2||$2,479|
|Police Protection - Officers||23||$111,594||$58,223||0||$0|
|Police - Other||7||$26,300||$45,086||2||$1,191|
|Streets and Highways||12||$43,610||$43,610||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||7||$31,676||$54,302||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||18||$72,315||$48,210||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||113||$519,109||$55,127||22||$11,090|
3.16% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,347 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($416 average AGI)
Hidalgo County: 0.03% Texas average: 0.08%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cameron County, TX||0.34% ($29,477 average AGI)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.24% ($27,672)|
|from Starr County, TX||0.16% ($28,446)|
3.05% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,254 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($311 average AGI)
Hidalgo County: 0.03% Texas average: 0.10%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Elsa:
- KGBT (1530 AM; 50 kW; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KUBR (1210 AM; 10 kW; SAN JUAN, TX; Owner: PAULINO BERNAL)
- KURV (710 AM; 10 kW; EDINBURG, TX; Owner: VOICE OF VALLEY AGRICULTURE, INC.)
- KVJY (840 AM; 5 kW; PHARR, TX; Owner: RADIO UNICA OF MCALLEN LICENSE CORP.)
- KRGE (1290 AM; 5 kW; WESLACO, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES OF THE VALLEY)
- KRIO (910 AM; 5 kW; MCALLEN, TX; Owner: RIO GRANDE BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- KQXX (1700 AM; 10 kW; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: LA NUEVA KBOR, INC.)
- KBOR (1600 AM; 10 kW; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: LA NUEVA KBOR, INC.)
- KCTA (1030 AM; 50 kW; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Owner: BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF THE SOUTHWEST)
- KSOX (1240 AM; 1 kW; RAYMONDVILLE, TX; Owner: VOICE OF VALLEY AGRICULTURE, INC.)
- KIRT (1580 AM; 1 kW; MISSION, TX; Owner: BRAVO BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Elsa:
- KVLY (107.9 FM; EDINBURG, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- KTEX (100.3 FM; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KFRQ (94.5 FM; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- KGBT-FM (98.5 FM; MCALLEN, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KBFM (104.1 FM; EDINBURG, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBTQ (96.1 FM; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KVMV (96.9 FM; MCALLEN, TX; Owner: WORLD RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KKPS (99.5 FM; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- KJAV (104.9 FM; ALAMO, TX; Owner: PAULINO BERNAL)
- KMAZ (106.3 FM; MERCEDES, TX; Owner: LA NUEVA KBOR, INC.)
- KILM (102.1 FM; RAYMONDVILLE, TX; Owner: BMP 102.1 FM, LP)
- KBIC (105.7 FM; RAYMONDVILLE, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES OF THE VALLEY)
- KOIR (88.5 FM; EDINBURG, TX; Owner: RIO GRANDE BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- KQBO (103.1 FM; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX; Owner: SOUND INVESTMENTS UNLIMITED, INC.)
- KTER (90.7 FM; RUDOLPH, TX; Owner: FAITH PLEASES GOD CHURCH CORP.)
- KQXX-FM (105.5 FM; MISSION, TX; Owner: LA NUEVA KBOR, INC.)
- KHID (88.1 FM; MCALLEN, TX; Owner: RGV EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K206BP (89.1 FM; WESLACO, TX; Owner: WORLD RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Elsa:
- KRGV-TV (Channel 5; WESLACO, TX; Owner: MOBILE VIDEO TAPES, INC.)
- KGBT-TV (Channel 4; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- KVEO (Channel 23; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF TEXAS LICENSE CORP.)
- KTLM (Channel 40; RIO GRANDE CITY, TX; Owner: SUNBELT MULTIMEDIA CO.)
- KMBH (Channel 60; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: RGV EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLUJ (Channel 44; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION)
- KNVO (Channel 48; Mc ALLEN, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KFTN-LP (Channel 30; La FERIA, TX; Owner: ORTIZ BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KLIA-LP (Channel 32; McALLEN, TX; Owner: ORTIZ BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KSFE-LP (Channel 67; McALLEN, TX; Owner: ORTIZ BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K57FE (Channel 57; MCALLEN, TX; Owner: CHANNEL 57, INC.)
- KZMC-LP (Channel 35; McALLEN, TX; Owner: ZAVALETTA BROADCASTING OF THE RIO GRANDE VALLEY, LLC)
- KTIZ-LP (Channel 52; HARLINGEN, TX; Owner: ORTIZ BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KSTI-LP (Channel 69; McALLEN, TX; Owner: FAITH PLEASES GOD CHURCH CORPORATION)
- KJST-LP (Channel 28; McALLEN, TX; Owner: FAITH PLEASES GOD CHURCH CORPORATION)
- KMAO-LP (Channel 50; RAYMONDVILLE, TX; Owner: ARACELIS ORTIZ)
- KRYM-LP (Channel 55; RAYMONDVILLE, TX; Owner: ALMA L. RODRIGUEZ)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Elsa)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 26.293056 Lon: -97.992778, Call Sign: WPUY427
Assigned Frequencies: 468.762 MHz, 468.837 MHz, 469.137 MHz, 469.462 MHz, 469.637 MHz, 469.662 MHz, 469.887 MHz, 457.512 MHz, 457.537 MHz, 457.562 MHz, 457.587 MHz, 457.612 MHz
Grant Date: 05/28/2002, Expiration Date: 05/28/2012, Cancellation Date: 07/28/2012, Certifier: Cynthia L Graybill
Registrant: Hm Electronics, Inc., 6675 Mesa Ridge Rd, San Diego, CA 92121, Phone: (858) 535-6015, Fax: (858) 452-7207, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- ELSA, 3.5 Mi Ne Of Elsa (Lat: 26.349306 Lon: -98.013278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 75 m, Overall height: 76.5 m, Call Sign: WMM706
Assigned Frequencies: 6063.80 MHz, 5945.20 MHz, 5974.85 MHz
Grant Date: 08/31/2010, Expiration Date: 08/01/2020
Registrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 1120 20th Street, Nw - Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 457-2055, Fax: (202) 457-3073, Email:
- 2 1/2 Mi S Of Rt 107 (Lat: 26.244778 Lon: -98.004167), Overall height: 152.1 m, Call Sign: WHF260, Licensee ID: L01533306
Assigned Frequencies: 946.875 MHz, 947.125 MHz
Grant Date: 04/12/1982, Expiration Date: 08/01/2013, Cancellation Date: 01/03/2013
Registrant: Capstar Tx LLC, 2625 S. Memorial Drive Suite A, Tulsa, OK 74129
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Elsa)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: FAIRCHILD M-62A (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 97 mph), Engine: FAIRCHILD 6-440 SERIES (200 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 62581 , Serial Number: T40124, Year manufactured: 1940
Registrant (Individual): Harman L Lane, Box 164, Elsa, TX 78543
|Home Mortgage Disclosure Act Aggregated Statistics For Year 1999|
(Based on 1 partial tract)
Home Purchase Loans
|C) Refinancings||D) Home Improvement Loans|
|Number||Average Value||Number||Average Value||Number||Average Value|
|APPLICATIONS APPROVED, NOT ACCEPTED||0||$0||0||$0||0||$0|
|FILES CLOSED FOR INCOMPLETENESS||0||$0||0||$0||0||$0|
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 100
- Hazardous Condition: 29
Incident types - Elsa
|Most common first names in Elsa, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Elsa, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Elsa, TX|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Jack In The Box||1|
|Church's Chicken||1||Pizza Hut||1|
Elsa on our top lists:
- #88 on the list of "Top 100 least-educated cities (pop. 5,000+)"
- #6 (78543) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Other groups first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #59 (78543) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking Spanish at home"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2006"
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"