|Median resident age:||47.1 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 62835.
Enfield village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $37,553 (it was $29,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $581.
- White alone - 593 (99.5%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.2%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.2%)
|Top 10 Reasons NOT to move to Chicago? (246 replies)|
|Guns (66 replies)|
|What is going on in Uptown???? (224 replies)|
|beautiful posters and shooting range (21 replies)|
|Skokie: We are considering buying. Any advice? (5 replies)|
|Cook County Gun Ban (26 replies)|
Latest news from Enfield, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.8%), Irish (21.4%), English (17.3%), United States (11.8%), Danish (1.7%), French (1.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 09/22/1875
Elevation: 470 feet
Land area: 1.16 square miles.
Population density: 510 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Enfield:
- High school or higher: 86.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 12.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Enfield village:
- Never married: 25.6%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 4.0%
- Divorced: 14.4%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Enfield, Illinois as of April 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Enfield to the number of sex offenders is 591 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $819 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $446 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Evansville, IN (43.9 miles , pop. 121,582).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (109.5 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (261.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Springerton, IL (2.4 miles) , Norris City, IL (2.9 miles ), Carmi, IL (3.1 miles ), Mill Shoals, IL (3.2 miles ), McLeansboro, IL (3.3 miles ), Burnt Prairie, IL (3.4 miles) , Broughton, IL (3.6 miles) , Belle Prairie City, IL (3.8 miles) .
Latitude: 38.10 N, Longitude: 88.34 W
Area code: 618
|Crime rates in Enfield by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 313.1)||147.7||66.4||59.7||60.7||33.7||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Enfield detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.64|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (20%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Construction (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (47%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (14%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Construction laborers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (7%)
- Electricians (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Registered nurses (12%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
Average climate in Enfield, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Enfield-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 62% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/2/1990, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 12.6 miles away from the Enfield village center killed one person and injured 12 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 12/18/1957, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 44.1 miles away from the village center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Enfield-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 34.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 31.5 miles away from Enfield center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 55.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 37.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 91.8 miles away from Enfield center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 36.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in White County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 4, Floods: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Enfield:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Enfield:
- WABASH CHRISTIAN RETIREMENT (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARMI, IL)
- PHOENIX REHABILITATION AND NURSING CARE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARMI, IL)
- CORNERSTONE HEALTHCARE OF IL (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARMI, IL)
- MEADOWBROOK ESTATES (Hospital, about 11 miles away; MCLEANSBORO, IL)
- MCLEANSBORO REHABILITATION AND HCC (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; MCLEANSBORO, IL)
- HAMILTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DISTRICT Critical Access Hospitals (about 11 miles away; MCLEANSBORO, IL)
Airports located in Enfield:
- Stoney Real Estate Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Enfield:
- Rend Lake College (about 32 miles; Ina, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,778)
- University of Southern Indiana (about 38 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 9,532)
- Wabash Valley College (about 39 miles; Mount Carmel, IL; FT enrollment: 2,142)
- University of Evansville (about 45 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 2,688)
- John A Logan College (about 48 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 55 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- Kaskaskia College (about 57 miles; Centralia, IL; FT enrollment: 3,867)
Public elementary/middle school in Enfield:
- Booth Elementary School (Location: PO Box 39; Grades: PK-8)
Notable location: Enfield Fire Protection District (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Enfield Village Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 75.2. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 37.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.59. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.5 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Enfield and their reported violations in the past:ENFIELD (Address: 105 EAST MAIN STREET , Population served: 877, Purch surface water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2012 and MAR-2012, Contaminant: Chloramine. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (APR-11-2012), St Compliance achieved (APR-16-2012)
|This village:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
14 people in residential treatment centers for adults in 2010
39 people in nursing homes in 2000
18 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse in 2000
Enfield compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (69%)
- Electricity (24%)
- Wood (5%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Enfield village (based on White County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 59.42%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Charismatic Churches Independent|
|Name||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Assemblies of God||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|White County:||3.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|White County:||8.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||9||$865|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||1||$1,542|
|Totals for Government||3||$8,414||$33,656||11||$4,356|
Enfield government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $243,000 ($410.47)
Water Utilities: $104,000 ($175.68)
Financial Administration: $82,000 ($138.51)
Sewerage: $42,000 ($70.95)
Police Protection: $35,000 ($59.12)
General - Other: $25,000 ($42.23)
Regular Highways: $23,000 ($38.85)
Solid Waste Management: $18,000 ($30.41)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($3.38)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $45,000 ($76.01)
Regular Highways: $4,000 ($6.76)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $131,000 ($221.28)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $3,000 ($5.07)
Enfield government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $46,000 ($77.70)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $23,000 ($38.85)
Interest Earnings: $3,000 ($5.07)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $246,000 ($415.54)
Water Utilities: $140,000 ($236.49)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $65,000 ($109.80)
Highways: $18,000 ($30.41)
- Tax - Property: $46,000 ($77.70)
Enfield government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $54,000 ($91.22)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $54,000 ($91.22)
Enfield government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $223,000 ($376.69)
4.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,561 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wayne County, IL||0.41% ($36,783 average AGI)|
|from Saline County, IL||0.37% ($36,095)|
|from Edwards County, IL||0.30% ($23,941)|
4.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,345 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Enfield:
- WMCL (1060 AM; 3 kW; MCLEANSBORO, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WROY (1460 AM; 1 kW; CARMI, IL; Owner: CARMI BROADCASTING, CO.)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WGGH (1150 AM; 5 kW; MARION, IL)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVHI (1330 AM; 5 kW; EVANSVILLE, IN)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Enfield:
- WRUL (97.3 FM; CARMI, IL; Owner: CARMI BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBJW (91.7 FM; ALBION, IL; Owner: MUSIC MINISTRIES INC)
- WQRL (106.3 FM; BENTON, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WFIW-FM (104.9 FM; FAIRFIELD, IL; Owner: WAYNE COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WISH-FM (98.9 FM; GALATIA, IL; Owner: GALATIA FM JOINT VENTURE)
- WOKZ (105.9 FM; FAIRFIELD, IL; Owner: WAYNE COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEBQ-FM (102.3 FM; ELDORADO, IL; Owner: VISHER-CHOATE II)
- WYFX (106.7 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IN; Owner: THE ORIGINAL COMPANY, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Enfield:
- WSIL-TV (Channel 3; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
Total length: 3 meters (10ft)
Total average daily traffic: 2,350
Total average daily truck traffic: 329
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 2,355
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Enfield)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:7
- Rr 1 Box 10a (Lat: 38.105333 Lon: -88.337556), Structure height: 12 m, Call Sign: WPDJ815
Assigned Frequencies: 47.0600 MHz, 47.1800 MHz
Grant Date: 10/09/1998, Expiration Date: 10/08/2003, Cancellation Date: 12/14/2003
Registrant: State Of Illinois, Department Of Transportation, 2300 South Dirksen Parkway, Room 009, Springfield, IL 62764, Phone: (217) 782-7234, Fax: (217) 782-1927, Email:
- 114 E Main (Lat: 38.100889 Lon: -88.334778), Call Sign: KNCT761
Assigned Frequencies: 154.025 MHz
Grant Date: 09/05/2012, Expiration Date: 11/13/2022
Registrant: Village Of Enfield, 105 E. Main Street, Enfield, IL 62835-0099, Phone: (618) 963-2222, Fax: (618) 963-2213, Email:
- 3 Miles Nw (Lat: 38.144500 Lon: -88.366722), Call Sign: KNFG724
Assigned Frequencies: 151.490 MHz
Grant Date: 12/16/2011, Expiration Date: 03/12/2022, Certifier: Alice M Woodrow
Registrant: Washington Radio Reports, 1588 Fairfield Road Suite 7, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-0668, Fax: (717) 334-6440, Email:
- 1/2 Mi S Of Jcts 14 & 45 (Lat: 38.158667 Lon: -88.330333), Call Sign: KWQ404
Assigned Frequencies: 152.975 MHz
Grant Date: 05/18/2004, Expiration Date: 08/15/2014
Registrant: Federal Licensing Inc, 1588 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-9262, Fax: (717) 334-6440
- 152 Il Highway 14 (Lat: 38.083333 Lon: -88.340444), Type: Tower, Structure height: 57.9 m, Overall height: 58.1 m, Call Sign: KK5575
Assigned Frequencies: 48.1600 MHz
Grant Date: 01/05/2012, Expiration Date: 01/17/2022
Registrant: Hoosier Energy Rec Inc, Bloomington, IN 47402, Phone: (812) 876-2021, Email:
- Enfield Substa 186 4 Mi W (Lat: 38.100889 Lon: -88.410889), Call Sign: KNEE430, Licensee ID: L00026067
Assigned Frequencies: 154.471 MHz
Grant Date: 11/17/1997, Expiration Date: 12/15/2002, Cancellation Date: 03/16/2003
Registrant: Soyland Power Cooperative Inc, 788 N Sunnyside Rd, Decatur, IL 62522
- ENFIELD, Rr 1 Box 10a @ Idot Mtc Yd (Lat: 38.105333 Lon: -88.337556), Type: Pole, Structure height: 12 m, Overall height: 14 m, Call Sign: WQQI942
Assigned Frequencies: 47.0600 MHz, 47.1800 MHz
Grant Date: 01/02/2013, Expiration Date: 01/02/2023, Certifier: Jeff Sexton
Registrant: Illinois State Police, 801 S 7th St - Csb Ste 201-N, Springfield, IL 62703, Phone: (217) 782-7347, Fax: (217) 782-9920, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- ENFIELD OFFICE, 152 Il Hwy 14 (Lat: 38.083111 Lon: -88.348389), Type: Tower, Structure height: 57 m, Overall height: 57.9 m, Call Sign: WQMA831
Assigned Frequencies: 928.193 MHz, 952.193 MHz
Grant Date: 06/15/2010, Expiration Date: 06/15/2020, Certifier: Jerry Houser
Registrant: Wayne White Counties Electric Cooperative, 1501 W Main, Fairfield, IL 62839, Phone: (618) 842-2196, Fax: (618) 842-4497, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KA9IDB, Licensee ID: L00170322
Grant Date: 01/20/2011, Expiration Date: 01/20/2021
Registrant: Benjamin R Gates, 302 N Brockett, Enfield, IL 62835
- Call Sign: KA9IDM
Grant Date: 12/04/1998, Expiration Date: 12/04/2008, Cancellation Date: 12/07/2010
Registrant: J B Gates, 302 N Brockett St, Enfield, IL 62835-0289
- Call Sign: KA9LHS, Licensee ID: L01241330
Grant Date: 02/10/2007, Expiration Date: 03/25/2017
Registrant: James C Johnson, 406 W Johnson St, Enfield, IL 62835
- Call Sign: KA9MDH, Licensee ID: L01220042
Grant Date: 10/29/2008, Expiration Date: 08/04/2017, Certifier: Wanda D Van Paassen
Registrant: Wanda D Van Paassen, 301 Gowdy St, Enfield, IL 62835
- Call Sign: KB9GPT, Licensee ID: L00459940
Grant Date: 06/30/2012, Expiration Date: 06/30/2022
Registrant: Ruth J Gates, Enfield, IL 62835
- Call Sign: WD9EML, Licensee ID: L00227075
Grant Date: 12/22/2006, Expiration Date: 03/21/2017, Certifier: Gerald J Van Paassen
Registrant: Gerald J Van Paassen, 301 Gowdy St, Enfield, IL 62835
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: CESSNA 170A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C145 SERIES (145 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1218D , Serial Number: 19772, Year manufactured: 1950, Airworthiness Date: 05/18/1956
Registrant (Partnership): Robert K Jr Phillips, Rr 2, Enfield, IL 62835, Other Owners: Walter G Storey
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-180 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 107 mph), Engine: LYCOMING O&VO-360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 163AM , Serial Number: 28-5009, Year manufactured: 1968, Airworthiness Date: 06/27/1968
Registrant (Co-Owned): Walter G Storey, 1132 County Road 400 E, Enfield, IL 62835, Other Owners: Ruth A Storey
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 11
|Most common first names in Enfield, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Enfield, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Enfield on our top lists:
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Motor vehicle, parts and supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Office supplies and stationery stores"
- #77 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Cashiers"
- #87 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Private households"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Legal support workers"
- #95 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.