We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||36.4 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 40826
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $13,873 (it was $9,214 in 2000)
Eolia CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $52,657 (it was $34,100 in 2000)
Races in Eolia, KY (2000)
- 1,64298.8%White alone
- 80.5%American Indian alone
- 20.1%Two or more races
- 10.06%Other race alone
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 50.6 square miles.
Population density: 31 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Eolia:
- High school or higher: 48.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 18.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Eolia CCD:
- Never married: 17.3%
- Now married: 65.9%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 9.2%
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Eolia, Kentucky as of January 19, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Eolia to the number of sex offenders is 1,578 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Eolia CCD:||0.7% ($234)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johnson City, TN (55.0 miles , pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (113.8 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (420.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Whitesburg, KY (2.4 miles ), Lynch, KY (2.6 miles ), Mayking, KY (2.8 miles ), Benham, KY (2.8 miles ), Cumberland, KY (3.0 miles ), Appalachia, VA (3.1 miles ), Millstone, KY (3.2 miles) , Blackey, KY (3.2 miles) .
Latitude: 37.04 N, Longitude: 82.84 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 606
Unemployment by year (%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (35%)
- Wood products (13%)
- Construction (11%)
- Apparel (10%)
- Machinery (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Health care (21%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- U. S. Postal service (6%)
- Broadcasting and telecommunications (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (5%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (12%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (10%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Extraction workers (9%)
- Woodworkers (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (6%)
Average climate in Eolia, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Eolia-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Kentucky state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/18/1995, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 22.5 miles away from the Eolia place center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/4/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 52.4 miles away from the place center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Eolia-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 100.9 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 106.0 miles away from Eolia center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 95.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 48.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 52.0 miles away from Eolia center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 292.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Letcher County (23) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 17, Storms: 15, Tornadoes: 6, Mudslides: 3, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Flash Flood: 1, Freeze: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Eolia:
- LETCHER MANOR (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; WHITESBURG, KY)
- WELLMONT LONESOME PINE HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; BIG STONE GAP, VA)
- HERITAGE HALL BIG STONE GAP (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BIG STONE GAP, VA)
- HERITAGE HALL HEALTH CARE II (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BIG STONE GAP, VA)
- NORTON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; NORTON, VA)
- HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE OF VIRGINIA (Hospital, about 14 miles away; NORTON, VA)
- BMA - MOUNTAIN EMPIRE (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; NORTON, VA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Eolia:
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 10 miles; Cumberland, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,196)
- Hazard Community and Technical College (about 23 miles; Hazard, KY; FT enrollment: 2,087)
- Northeast State Community College (about 45 miles; Blountville, TN; FT enrollment: 4,480)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (about 46 miles; Prestonsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 2,660)
- King University (about 50 miles; Bristol, TN; FT enrollment: 2,472)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 56 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- East Tennessee State University (about 58 miles; Johnson City, TN; FT enrollment: 12,774)
Public elementary/middle school in Eolia:
- ARLIE BOGGS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 146, Location: 1099 HWY 806, Grades: KG-8)
Notable locations in Eolia: Cumberland River Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (A), Cumberland River Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Eolia: Eolia Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Boggs Cemetery (1), Maggard Cemetery (2), Parsons Cemetery (3), Sturgill Cemetery (4), Roberts Branch Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Colliers Creek (A), South Fork Collier Creek (B), Andy Branch (C), Bad Branch (D), Barlow Branch (E), Bee Branch (F), Brown Branch (G), Craiger Branch (H), Coal Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Eolia: Hensley-Pine Mountain Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Eolia CCD (based on Letcher County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Letcher County:||2.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Letcher County:||0.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Letcher County:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
3.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,014 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Perry County, KY||0.38% ($26,444 average AGI)|
|from Pike County, KY||0.35% ($35,200)|
|from Knott County, KY||0.24% ($32,882)|
3.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,363 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Eolia:
- WTCW (920 AM; 4 kW; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WEZC (1480 AM; daytime; 5 kW; NEON, KY; Owner: JESUS COMMUNICATION ILNC.)
- WNVA (1350 AM; 5 kW; NORTON, VA; Owner: RADIO-WISE, INC.)
- WCPM (1280 AM; 1 kW; CUMBERLAND, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGOC (640 AM; 10 kW; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WZAP (690 AM; 10 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: RAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLSI (900 AM; 5 kW; PIKEVILLE, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKIC (1390 AM; 5 kW; HAZARD, KY)
- WFSR (970 AM; 5 kW; HARLAN, KY; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING COMPAY)
- WPWT (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WDIC (1430 AM; daytime; 5 kW; CLINCHCO, VA; Owner: DICKENSON COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Eolia:
- WIFX-FM (94.3 FM; JENKINS, KY; Owner: LETCHER COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC)
- WXKQ-FM (103.9 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WMMT (88.7 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: APPALSHOP, INCORPORATED)
- WSEH (102.7 FM; CUMBERLAND, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W223AA (92.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDXC (102.3 FM; POUND, VA; Owner: WDXC RADIO, INC.)
- WSGS (101.1 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WEKH (90.9 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WZQQ (97.9 FM; HYDEN, KY; Owner: LESLIE COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNVA-FM (106.3 FM; NORTON, VA; Owner: RADIO WISE, INC.)
- WJMD (104.7 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: HAZARD BROADCASTING SERVICES)
- WPKE-FM (103.1 FM; COAL RUN, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WISE-FM (90.5 FM; WISE, VA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA'S COLLEGE AT WISE)
- WTUK (105.1 FM; HARLAN, KY; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKCB-FM (107.1 FM; HINDMAN, KY; Owner: HINDMAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHCB (91.5 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUC. COMMUNICATION CORP)
- WETS-FM (89.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WRZK (95.9 FM; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: MURRAY COMMUNICATIONS)
TV broadcast stations around Eolia:
- W24BT (Channel 24; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WYMT-TV (Channel 57; HAZARD, KY; Owner: WYMT LICENSEE CORP.)
- W31BU (Channel 31; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W53BQ (Channel 53; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W69ED (Channel 69; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKHA (Channel 35; HAZARD, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- W26BK (Channel 26; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WAPM-CA (Channel 9; LYNCH/BENHAM, KY; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSBN-TV (Channel 47; NORTON, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
Eolia fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- 13-10 BRIGHT, Bright Road (Lat: 37.076944 Lon: -82.808333), Type: Tower, Structure height: 29 m, Call Sign: WQHB871
Assigned Frequencies: 6556.25 MHzGrant Date: 06/22/2007, Expiration Date: 06/22/2017, Certifier: William F HaysRegistrant: Kentucky Emergency Warning System, 85 State Police Road, London, KY 40741, Phone: (502) 564-5397, Fax: (502) 564-6726, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KC4EZX, Grant Date: 05/03/1988, Expiration Date: 05/03/1998, Cancellation Date: 05/04/2000, Registrant: Wilma E Carter, Hc67 Box 2010, Eolia, KY 40826
- Call Sign: KC4TAJ, Licensee ID: L00313465, Grant Date: 03/23/2011, Expiration Date: 04/09/2021, Certifier: George A Blair, Registrant: George A Blair, 24 Angler Rd, Eolia, KY 40826
- Call Sign: N4SRO, Licensee ID: L01331676, Grant Date: 10/12/2007, Expiration Date: 12/26/2017, Certifier: Clarence T Carter, Registrant: Clarence T Carter, 500 Smith Creek, Eolia, KY 40826
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (15%)
- Coal or coke (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Wood (1%)
Eolia compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.