Indiana County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 28.4. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 4.55. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 15.1 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2008 was 5.69. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.1 miles away from the city center.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 15.6%
(15.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 40.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This borough: || 2.5 people|
|Pennsylvania: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This borough: || 70.6%|
|Whole state: || 67.5%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This borough: || 7.2%|
|Whole state: || 5.0%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Ernest, PA
Ernest compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Back to the top
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (94%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Electricity (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Wood (1%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Indiana County Pennsylvania:
Religion statistics for Ernest (based on Indiana County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 43.17%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Old Order Amish|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Christian and Missionary Alliance||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Assemblies of God||American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Here:||1.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|Number of supercenters and club stores:
|This county:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|Indiana County:||0.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|This county:||3.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Indiana County:||5.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|State:||9.1%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Streets and Highways
|Totals for Government
Ernest government finances in 2002:
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $56,000 ($121.21)
Regular Highways: $17,000 ($36.80)
General - Other: $6,000 ($12.99)
Central Staff Services: $6,000 ($12.99)
General Public Buildings: $4,000 ($8.66)
Judicial and Legal Services: $3,000 ($6.49)
Financial Administration: $3,000 ($6.49)
Parks & Recreation: $1,000 ($2.16)
Fire Protection: $1,000 ($2.16)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $7,000 ($15.15)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $3,000 ($6.49)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $4,000 ($8.66)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $2,000 ($4.33)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $8,000 ($17.32)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $58,000 ($125.54)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $72,000 ($155.84)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $9,000 ($19.48)
All Other: $2,000 ($4.33)
- Tax - Individual Income: $16,000 ($34.63)
NEC: $8,000 ($17.32)
Property: $4,000 ($8.66)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $29,000 ($62.77)
4.52% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($29,067 average adjusted gross income)
0.25% of residents moved from foreign countries ($253 average AGI)
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
5.18% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($30,397 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($173 average AGI)
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Ernest:
- WCCS (1160 AM; 10 kW; HOMER CITY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WDAD (1450 AM; 1 kW; INDIANA, PA; Owner: RMS MEDIA MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WAVL (910 AM; 5 kW; APOLLO, PA; Owner: EVANGEL HEIGHTS ASSEMBLY OF GOD)
- WLYE (850 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WECZ (1540 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA)
- WKHB (620 AM; 6 kW; IRWIN, PA; Owner: BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVSC (990 AM; 10 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPIT (730 AM; 5 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCED (1420 AM; 5 kW; DU BOIS, PA; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Ernest:
- WQMU (92.5 FM; INDIANA, PA; Owner: RMS MEDIA MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WQEJ (89.7 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WQED MULTIMEDIA)
- WFRJ (88.9 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKYE (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WQKK (92.1 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WLCY (106.3 FM; BLAIRSVILLE, PA; Owner: LONGO MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WPCL (97.3 FM; NORTHERN CAMBRIA, PA; Owner: HE'S ALIVE INCORPORATED)
- WMAJ-FM (104.9 FM; HOLLIDAYSBURG, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- W294AE (106.7 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WZPT (100.7 FM; NEW KENSINGTON, PA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO SUBSIDIARY OPERATIONS INC.)
- W267AC (101.3 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN NETWORK)
- WPRR (100.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: VITAL LICENSES, LLC)
- WFGY (98.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- WKYE-FM1 (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WINSTON RADIO CORPORATION)
- WALY (103.9 FM; BELLWOOD, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WBXQ (94.7 FM; CRESSON, PA; Owner: SOUNDS GOOD, INC.)
- WBRX (94.3 FM; PATTON, PA; Owner: SHERLOCK BROADCASTING, INC)
- WHPA (93.5 FM; BARNESBORO, PA; Owner: VERNAL ENTERPRISES INC.)
- WYTR (103.3 FM; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WGLU (99.1 FM; EBENSBURG, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Ernest:
- WLLS-LP (Channel 49; INDIANA, PA; Owner: LARRY L. SCHRECONGOST)
- W25AX (Channel 25; KITTANNING, PA; Owner: TURNPIKE TELEVISION)
- WCWB (Channel 22; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: WCWB LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTAE-TV (Channel 4; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: WTAE HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WPCB-TV (Channel 40; GREENSBURG, PA; Owner: CORNERSTONE TELEVISION, INC.)
- W60BL (Channel 60; BUTLER, PA; Owner: TURNPIKE TELEVISION)
- WJAC-TV (Channel 6; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WPXI-TV HOLDINGS, INC.)
Ernest fatal accident list:
Oct 3, 1988 07:35 PM, 110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- Cr Rofw 2000 E Of Ridge Pike (Lat: 40.105944 Lon: -75.306583), Type: Pole, Structure height: 15 m, Overall height: 18 m, Call Sign: KGV725, Licensee ID: L00201418
Assigned Frequencies: 160.800 MHz
Grant Date: 01/23/2003, Expiration Date: 03/06/2013, Cancellation Date: 05/11/2004, Certifier: Robert Mac Millan
Registrant: Pennsylvania Lines LLC, 99 Spring St Sw Box 123, Atlanta, GA 30303, Phone: (215) 209-3716, Fax: (215) 209-2304
- .3 Mi N Of Sr 110 On Blue Spruce Rd (Lat: 40.680611 Lon: -79.164194), Structure height: 2 m, Call Sign: WPBB566
Assigned Frequencies: 452.300 MHz
Grant Date: 09/07/2002, Expiration Date: 11/05/2012, Cancellation Date: 08/06/2009
Registrant: Business Radio Licensing, 26941 Cabot Road 134, Laguna Hills, CA 92653, Phone: (949) 348-8510, Fax: (949) 348-8514, Email:
|Most common first names in Ernest, PA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Ernest, PA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #9 on the list of "Top 100 cities with oldest houses"
- #23 on the list of "Top 100 cities with old houses but young residents"
- #22 (15739) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Carpatho Rusyn first ancestries"
- #33 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides Annual air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
- #56 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides 24-hour air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"