We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.3 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01344.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $31,545 (it was $19,107 in 2000)
Erving town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $183,413 (it was $96,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $239,396; Detached houses: $247,810; Townhouses or other attached units: $286,407; In 2-unit structures: $183,965; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $220,096; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $141,974; Mobile homes: $52,355
Races in Erving, MA (2010)
- 1,72896.0%White alone
- 251.4%Two or more races
- 50.3%Black alone
- 50.3%American Indian alone
- 40.2%Asian alone
- 10.06%Other race alone
|Boundaries of MA's regions (63 replies)|
|The Safest Low-Rent Neighborhood in Massachusetts? (42 replies)|
|'Do Bostonians really care about Western MA' Globe article (75 replies)|
|Average Taxes by Town (avg $ and % increase) (27 replies)|
|What do you consider Western Mass? (91 replies)|
|Pros and Cons of Massachusetts (50 replies)|
Latest news from Erving, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (18.7%), English (17.2%), Polish (15.7%), Irish (15.1%), French Canadian (10.3%), German (10.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1838
Elevation: 475 feet
Land area: 13.9 square miles.
Population density: 130 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Erving:
- High school or higher: 84.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Erving town:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 56.5%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 11.2%
30 residents are foreign born (0.8% North America, 0.7% Europe, 0.5% Asia).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Erving, Massachusetts as of April 22, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Erving to the number of sex offenders is 1,800 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Erving town:||0.7% ($681)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chicopee, MA (30.5 miles , pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (72.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (141.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Millers Falls, MA (1.6 miles ), Gill, MA (2.1 miles ), Wendell, MA (2.1 miles ), Montague, MA (2.2 miles ), Turners Falls, MA (2.3 miles ), Bernardston, MA (2.7 miles ), Northfield, MA (2.7 miles ), Orange, MA (2.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 10 buildings, average cost: $101,100
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $114,100
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $82,500
- 2002: 16 buildings, average cost: $100,200
- 2003: 11 buildings, average cost: $152,300
- 2004: 11 buildings, average cost: $167,800
- 2005: 14 buildings, average cost: $185,800
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $46,200
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $339,300
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $336,200
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $414,700
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $45,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $125,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.60 N, Longitude: 72.45 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 413
|Crime rates in Erving by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.5)||169.6||132.1||169.1||169.1||85.0||181.7||247.1||406.3||256.2||162.3||215.7||160.8||221.7||142.3||160.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Erving detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.82|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (11%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Paper (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Plastics and rubber products (4%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (3%)
Average climate in Erving, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Erving-area historical tornado activity is above Massachusetts state average. It is 13% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.9 miles away from the Erving town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1979, a category F4 tornado 40.0 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Erving-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 133.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 145.2 miles away from Erving center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 75.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 19.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 113.3 miles away from Erving center
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 266.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Hurricanes: 4, Snowstorms: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Erving:
- NURSE'S HOUSE CALL - GREENFIELD (Home Health Center, about 7 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- YANKEE FAMILY DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- POET'S SEAT HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- BAYSTATE FRANKLIN MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 8 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- HOSPICE OF FRANKLIN COUNTY (Hospital, about 8 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- HOME CARE PRN INC (Home Health Center, about 8 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- GENTIVA HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 8 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
Amtrak stations near Erving:
- 16 miles: AMHERST (RAILROAD ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: BRATTLEBORO (VERNON RD.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Operable nuclear power plant near Erving:
- 13 miles: Vermont Yankee in Vernon, VT.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Erving:
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 16 miles; Amherst, MA; Full-time enrollment: 26,583)
- Smith College (about 22 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 24 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Mount Wachusett Community College (about 24 miles; Gardner, MA; FT enrollment: 3,143)
- Keene State College (about 25 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 25 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Holyoke Community College (about 30 miles; Holyoke, MA; FT enrollment: 4,911)
Public elementary/middle school in Erving:
- ERVING ELEMENTARY (Students: 183, Location: 28 NORTHFIELD RD, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Erving: Erving Fire Department Station 2 (A), Erving Fire Department Station 1 (B), Erving Elementary School Library (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Holton Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoirs and swamps: Northfield Mountain Reservoir (A), Laurel Lake (B), Spruce Swamp (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Osgood Brook (A), Millers River (B), Jacks Brook (C), Lyons Brook (D), Packard Brook (E), Schoolhouse Brook (F), Scots Brook (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 89.9. This is worse than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 3.19. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 7.6 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.876. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 2.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 25.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 4.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.35. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.48. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Erving town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||3.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||3.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.07% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,154 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($130 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.03% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampshire County, MA||1.74% ($33,774 average AGI)|
|from Worcester County, MA||0.81% ($33,513)|
|from Hampden County, MA||0.42% ($30,770)|
5.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,267 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($160 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.05% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Erving:
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCAT (700 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ORANGE-ATHOL, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WPNI (1430 AM; 5 kW; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHMQ (1240 AM; 1 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Erving:
- WJDF (97.3 FM; ORANGE, MA; Owner: DEANE BROTHERS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WGAJ (91.7 FM; DEERFIELD, MA; Owner: TRUATEES OF DEERFIELD ACADEMY)
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WOQL (98.7 FM; WINCHESTER, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, LLC)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WAHL (99.9 FM; ATHOL, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Erving:
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- Erving, Massachusetts
- Fatal accident count23
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents38
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:6
- Persons involved in fatal accidents49
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- Massachusetts average
- Fatal accident count100
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents140
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons33
- Persons involved in fatal accidents230
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents13
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 10Number of bridges
- 51m167ftTotal length
- $18,840,000Total costs
- 34,424Total average daily traffic
- 3,563Total average daily truck traffic
- 56,397Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:18 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Erving)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Erving, MA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KA1SIA, Grant Date: 07/12/1999, Expiration Date: 07/12/2009, Cancellation Date: 07/13/2011, Registrant: Donald R Calkins, 12 North St, Erving, MA 01344-9724
- Call Sign: KC4HTJ, Licensee ID: L00170463, Grant Date: 01/27/2010, Expiration Date: 01/30/2020, Registrant: Joshua D Hodges, 143 North St., Erving, MA 01344
- Call Sign: N1JWW, Grant Date: 09/29/1992, Expiration Date: 09/29/2002, Cancellation Date: 09/30/2004, Registrant: Mark W Mc Cord, 7 Wells St, Erving, MA 01344
- Call Sign: WB1HKN, Grant Date: 11/07/1995, Expiration Date: 11/07/2005, Cancellation Date: 11/08/2007, Registrant: Richard F Cunningham, 46 High St, Erving, MA 01344
- Call Sign: KB1FVW, Licensee ID: L00295883, Grant Date: 10/25/2010, Expiration Date: 11/02/2020, Certifier: Joseph A Bassett, Registrant: Joseph A Bassett, 5 Pleasant St, Erving, MA 01344
- Call Sign: KB1PKK, Licensee ID: L01319403, Grant Date: 08/30/2007, Expiration Date: 08/30/2017, Certifier: Aaron D Budine, Registrant: Aaron D Budine, 41 Forest St, Erving, MA 01344
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: MOONEY AIRCRAFT CORP. M20S (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: CONT MOTOR IO-550 SERIES (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 21669 , Serial Number: 30-0008, Year manufactured: 1999, Airworthiness Date: 03/31/1999
Registrant (Corporation): Ralph Semb LLC, 55 French King Hwy, Erving, MA 01344
Drinking water stations with addresses in Erving and their reported violations in the past:ERVING WATER DEPT (Population served: 560, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JAN-2014, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-27-2014)
- 3 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 13
- Hazardous Condition: 3
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Erving
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (72%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Wood (7%)
Erving compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2018.