Forest City, Missouri
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||47.8 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.4 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,074 (it was $18,671 in 2000)
Forest City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $66,104 (it was $40,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $462.
Races in Forest City, MO (2010)
- 25695.5%White alone
- 31.1%American Indian alone
- 31.1%Two or more races
Latest news from Forest City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (32.8%), American (27.5%), Irish (8.4%), Italian (5.3%), English (3.8%), Czech (1.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1857
Elevation: 856 feet
Land area: 0.98 square miles.
Population density: 260 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Forest City:
- High school or higher: 83.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Forest City city:
- Never married: 15.4%
- Now married: 49.7%
- Separated: 5.6%
- Widowed: 5.3%
- Divorced: 24.0%
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Forest City, Missouri as of May 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Forest City to the number of sex offenders is 128 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $837 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $569 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Joseph, MO (24.4 miles , pop. 73,990).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (71.3 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (412.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Oregon, MO (1.6 miles ), White Cloud, KS (2.4 miles ), Fortescue, MO (2.9 miles) , Highland, KS (3.1 miles ), Bigelow, MO (3.2 miles) , Big Lake, MO (3.2 miles) , Mound City, MO (3.3 miles ), Fillmore, MO (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 39.98 N, Longitude: 95.19 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (15%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Wholesale trade (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Utilities (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (29%)
- Information (22%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Transportation occupations (17%)
- Sales and related occupations (15%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Personal care and service occupations (13%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
Average climate in Forest City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Forest City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Missouri state average. It is 102% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/29/1979, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 34.4 miles away from the Forest City city center injured 20 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/26/1984, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 14.0 miles away from the city center injured 9 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Forest City-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 48.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 405.4 miles away from Forest City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 362.5 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 375.2 miles away from the city center
On 3/23/2007 at 08:15:49, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 36.8 miles away from Forest City center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 398.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Holt County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Winds: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: W. Tate Brady - Ku Klux Klan activist.
Hospitals and medical centers near Forest City:
- OREGON CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 3 miles away; OREGON, MO)
- HIGHLAND CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; HIGHLAND, KS)
- HIGHLAND HEALTHCARE AND REHAB CTR (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; HIGHLAND, KS)
- TIFFANY HEIGHTS (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; MOUND CITY, MO)
- DONIPHAN CO HEALTH DEPT HHA (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; TROY, KS)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Forest City:
- Highland Community College (about 10 miles; Highland, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,148)
- Missouri Western State University (about 27 miles; Saint Joseph, MO; FT enrollment: 4,557)
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 31 miles; Maryville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,946)
- Grantham University (about 58 miles; Kansas City, MO; FT enrollment: 8,385)
- Park University (about 62 miles; Parkville, MO; FT enrollment: 9,131)
- Kansas City Kansas Community College (about 65 miles; Kansas City, KS; FT enrollment: 4,718)
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City (about 71 miles; Kansas City, MO; FT enrollment: 12,834)
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 92.4. This is worse than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 3.49. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.1 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 36.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 28.3. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 24.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 10.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.2 miles away from the city center.
(12.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 81.8% for American Indian residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Forest City city (based on Holt County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Holt County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Holt County:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Holt County:||6.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Forest City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||5||$200|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||1||$195|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||1||$20|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||8||$1,581|
Forest City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Central Staff Services: $13,000 ($51.18)
Regular Highways: $4,000 ($15.75)
Sewerage: $2,000 ($7.87)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $69,000 ($271.65)
Central Staff Services: $4,000 ($15.75)
Sewerage: $4,000 ($15.75)
General - Other: $3,000 ($11.81)
Solid Waste Management: $2,000 ($7.87)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $21,000 ($82.68)
Forest City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $28,000 ($110.24)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($15.75)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $16,000 ($62.99)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $15,000 ($59.06)
Public Utilities: $12,000 ($47.24)
Property: $10,000 ($39.37)
Other Selective Sales: $3,000 ($11.81)
NEC: $1,000 ($3.94)
Tobacco Sales: $0 ($0.00)
Forest City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Short Term Debt Outstanding - Beginning: $243,000 ($956.69)
End of Fiscal Year: $235,000 ($925.20)
Forest City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $80,000 ($314.96)
5.20% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($24,618 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
6.21% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($51,593 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Forest City:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFEQ (680 AM; 5 kW; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KSFT (1550 AM; 5 kW; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC)
- KYFR (920 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KMA (960 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: KMA BROADCASTING L.P.)
- WIBW (580 AM; 5 kW; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Forest City:
- KSJQ (92.7 FM; SAVANNAH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KKJO-FM (105.5 FM; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC)
- K219CE (91.7 FM; FALLS CITY, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- KXCV (90.5 FM; MARYVILLE, MO; Owner: NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE UNIV.)
- KAIR-FM (93.7 FM; HORTON, KS; Owner: KNZA INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Forest City:
- KQTV (Channel 2; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF THE MIDWEST, INC.)
- KTAJ (Channel 16; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- K46FG (Channel 46; FALLS CITY, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDTV COMMISSION)
Forest City fatal accident list:
Aug 23, 1995 09:15 PM, 111, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 5m16ftTotal length
- $743,000Total costs
- 771Total average daily traffic
- 114Total average daily truck traffic
- 984Total future (year 2034) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 12
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Forest City
|Most common first names in Forest City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Forest City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (39%)
- Utility gas (38%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (11%)
- Wood (11%)
Forest City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.