|Median resident age:||36.3 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 38560
|Forks of the River:||$44,090|
Forks of the River CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $111,818 (it was $84,000 in 2000)
|Forks of the River:||$111,818|
- White alone - 1,955 (95.4%)
- Black alone - 60 (2.9%)
- Two or more races - 17 (0.8%)
- American Indian alone - 11 (0.5%)
- Hispanic - 5 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.10%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 56.4 square miles.
Population density: 39 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Forks of the River:
- High school or higher: 65.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Forks of the River CCD:
- Never married: 15.3%
- Now married: 68.9%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 9.2%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Forks of the River CCD:||0.4% ($370)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Murfreesboro, TN (38.3 miles , pop. 68,816).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Nashville-Davidson, TN (49.9 miles , pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (401.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Gordonsville, TN (2.1 miles ), Carthage, TN (2.3 miles ), South Carthage, TN (2.3 miles ), Buffalo Valley, TN (3.1 miles ), Granville, TN (3.1 miles ), Alexandria, TN (3.6 miles ), Baxter, TN (3.7 miles ), Underhill, TN (3.7 miles ).
Latitude: 36.22 N, Longitude: 85.87 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 615
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Metal and metal products (14%)
- Transportation equipment (11%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Wood products (3%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Health care (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Transportation equipment (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (8%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Forks of the River, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Forks of the River-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 58% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.2 miles away from the Forks of the River place center killed 10 people and injured 51 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/26/1959, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.5 miles away from the place center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Forks of the River-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 190.3 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 173.8 miles away from Forks of the River center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 119.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 161.6 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 110.6 miles away from Forks of the River center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 211.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Smith County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 7, Floods: 6, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Forks of the River:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Forks of the River:
- Tennessee Technological University (about 21 miles; Cookeville, TN; Full-time enrollment: 9,761)
- Volunteer State Community College (about 37 miles; Gallatin, TN; FT enrollment: 5,311)
- Middle Tennessee State University (about 38 miles; Murfreesboro, TN; FT enrollment: 21,628)
- Trevecca Nazarene University (about 50 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,223)
- Belmont University (about 52 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 5,795)
- Vanderbilt University (about 53 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 10,518)
- Lipscomb University (about 53 miles; Nashville, TN; FT enrollment: 3,827)
Notable locations in Forks of the River: Enigma (A), Smith County Fire Department District 2 (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Forks of the River include: Ballard Chapel (A), Macedonia Church (B), Saint Marys Church (C), Trinity Church (D), Green Valley Church (E), Elmwood United Methodist Church (F), Maggart United Methodist Church (G), Jack Apple Church (H), Caney Fork Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Winfree Cemetery (1), Bates Cemetery (2), Dickens Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Jersey Miniery Zinc Company Lake (A), Laurel Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Maggarte Branch (A), Hurricane Creek (B), Ferguson Branch (C), Little Indian Creek (D), Brindley Branch (E), Dillard Creek (F), Perkins Branch (G), Young Branch (H), Turkey Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Forks of the River: Granville Recreation Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 39.4. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.63. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.4 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Forks of the River compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (48%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (40%)
- Wood (10%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Forks of the River CCD (based on Smith County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 35.46%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Church of the Nazarene|
|Name||Duck River and Kindred Baptists Associations||Church of God of Prophecy||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Smith County:||3.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Smith County:||0.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Smith County:||6.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
5.84% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,248 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wilson County, TN||1.48% ($29,525 average AGI)|
|from Davidson County, TN||0.67% ($28,689)|
|from DeKalb County, TN||0.40% ($27,037)|
5.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,263 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Forks of the River:
- WRKM (1350 AM; 1 kW; CARTHAGE, TN; Owner: WOOD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WPLN (1430 AM; 15 kW; MADISON, TN)
- WMGC (810 AM; 5 kW; MURFREESBORO, TN; Owner: RADIO 810 NASHVILLE, LIMITED)
- WHIN (1010 AM; 5 kW; GALLATIN, TN; Owner: WHIN, INC.)
- WATX (1590 AM; 2 kW; ALGOOD, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
Strongest FM radio stations in Forks of the River:
- WUCZ (104.1 FM; CARTHAGE, TN; Owner: WOOD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGSQ (94.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBXE (93.7 FM; BAXTER, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WMOT (89.5 FM; MURFREESBORO, TN; Owner: MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WWOG (90.9 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WGFX (104.5 FM; GALLATIN, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGIC (98.5 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLQK (95.9 FM; LIVINGSTON, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WMAK (96.3 FM; MURFREESBORO, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WWTN (99.7 FM; MANCHESTER, TN; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WLIV-FM (104.7 FM; MONTEREY, TN; Owner: WKXN INC)
- WKXD-FM (106.9 FM; MONTEREY, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- W206AJ (89.1 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHRS (91.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: NASHVILLE PUBLIC RADIO)
- WANT (98.9 FM; LEBANON, TN; Owner: BAY-POINTE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLCT (102.1 FM; LAFAYETTE, TN; Owner: LAFAYETTE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WFMQ (91.5 FM; LEBANON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Forks of the River:
- WPGD (Channel 50; HENDERSONVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WCTE (Channel 22; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: UPPER CUMBERLAND BROADCAST COUNCIL)
- WHTN (Channel 39; MURFREESBORO, TN; Owner: CHRISTIAN TELEVISION NETWORK, INC.)