Forrest City, Arkansas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||35.0 years|
|Arkansas median age:||38.0 years|
Zip codes: 72335.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $13,994 (it was $11,716 in 2000)
Forrest City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $75,786 (it was $56,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $116,575; Detached houses: $124,701; Townhouses or other attached units: $118,595; Mobile homes: $78,577
Median gross rent in 2016: $583.
Races in Forrest City, AR (2016)
- 9,77165.3%Black alone
- 3,88325.9%White alone
- 2911.9%Two or more races
- 590.4%American Indian alone
- 590.4%Asian alone
- 520.3%Other race alone
- 180.1%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Relocating to Arkansas from California (61 replies)|
|Family reunion at Forrest City (1 reply)|
|Planning my vacation to Arkansas..suggestions please! (90 replies)|
|What area of the country is Arkansas considered? (87 replies)|
|First time in Arkansas (38 replies)|
|Our Arkansas dreams die a painful death (73 replies)|
Latest news from Forrest City, AR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (4.0%), Arab (2.2%), German (1.7%), African (1.6%), Irish (1.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 05/11/1870
Elevation: 252 feet
Land area: 16.3 square miles.
Population density: 912 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Forrest City:
- High school or higher: 77.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 16.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Forrest City city:
- Never married: 40.3%
- Now married: 30.9%
- Separated: 5.9%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 17.3%
627 residents are foreign born (2.6% Latin America).
According to our research of Arkansas and other state lists there were 51 registered sex offenders living in Forrest City, Arkansas as of January 21, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Forrest City to the number of sex offenders is 294 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $442 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $462 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Memphis, TN (46.9 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (376.7 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Madison, AR (1.9 miles ), Caldwell, AR (2.1 miles ), Widener, AR (2.5 miles ), Palestine, AR (2.7 miles ), Haynes, AR (2.9 miles ), Colt, AR (2.9 miles ), Wynne, AR (3.9 miles ), Marianna, AR (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 14 buildings, average cost: $60,600
- 1998: 21 buildings, average cost: $64,000
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $121,000
- 2000: 10 buildings, average cost: $57,000
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $109,700
- 2002: 15 buildings, average cost: $93,900
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $147,300
- 2004: 15 buildings, average cost: $83,200
- 2005: 12 buildings, average cost: $86,100
- 2006: 15 buildings, average cost: $78,300
- 2007: 11 buildings, average cost: $68,500
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $53,000
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $126,700
- 2012: 44 buildings, average cost: $99,200
- 2013: 4 buildings, average cost: $112,100
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 35.01 N, Longitude: 90.79 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,792 (+18.7%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 3,042 (73.4%)
Area code: 870
|Crime rates in Forrest City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.3)||763.1||540.5||629.5||609.4||640.0||621.5||670.4||656.9||654.1||606.7||621.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Forrest City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.20|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +1,010 (+7.3%).
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Wholesale trade (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Manufacturing (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Material moving occupations (12%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (10%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (16%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Community and social service occupations (6%)
Average climate in Forrest City, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Forrest City-area historical tornado activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 114% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/21/1952, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.5 miles away from the Forrest City city center killed 29 people and injured 180 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/6/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.1 miles away from the city center killed 4 people and injured 112 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Forrest City-area historical earthquake activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 50.6 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 120.4 miles away from Forrest City center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 80.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 81.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 01:00:11, a magnitude 4.5 (4.1 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 45.0 miles away from Forrest City center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 89.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Birthplace of: Don Kessinger - Baseball player and coach, Gilbert Morris - Novelist, Dennis Winston - Football player, G. Wood - Actor, Jason Jones (wide receiver) - Football player.
Hospitals in Forrest City:
- FORREST CITY MEDICAL CENTER (Proprietary, provides emergency services, 1601 NEWCASTLE ROAD)
- METH HOS OF JONESBORO/HOSPICE FOR CITY (815 NORTH WASHINGTON)
- PATIENT'S CHOICE HOSPICE (1712 LINDAUER)
Nursing Homes in Forrest City:
- CRESTPARK FORREST CITY, LLC (500 KITTEL RD)
- CRESTPARK INN OF FORREST CITY (603 KITTEL ROAD)
- CRESTPARK RETIREMENT INN (P O BOX 1658)
- FOREST CITY LIFE CARE (P O BOX 1081)
Dialysis Facilities in Forrest City:
Home Health Centers in Forrest City:
Airports and heliports located in Forrest City:
- Forrest City Municipal Airport (FCY) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 1,000, Local Ops: 30,000, Military Ops: 300)
- Forrest City Medical Center Heliport (AR72)
Colleges/Universities in Forrest City:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Forrest City:
- Southwest Tennessee Community College (about 44 miles; Memphis, TN; Full-time enrollment: 8,043)
- University of Memphis (about 47 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 17,427)
- Rhodes College (about 47 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 2,052)
- Northwest Mississippi Community College (about 54 miles; Senatobia, MS; FT enrollment: 6,607)
- Coahoma Community College (about 54 miles; Clarksdale, MS; FT enrollment: 2,284)
- Harding University (about 56 miles; Searcy, AR; FT enrollment: 5,360)
- Arkansas State University-Main Campus (about 58 miles; Jonesboro, AR; FT enrollment: 12,323)
Public high school in Forrest City:
- FORREST CITY HIGH SCHOOL (Location: 467 VICTORIA ST, Grades: 9-12)
Private high school in Forrest City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Forrest City:
Notable locations in Forrest City: Forrest City Country Club (A), Geriatrics Nursing Center (B), Forrest City Public Library (C), Saint Francis County Courthouse (D), Forrest City Fire Department (E), Southern Paramedic Service - Forrest City (F), Saint Francis County Sheriff's Office (G), Forrest City Police Department (H), Arkansas State Police Troop D (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Center: Valli Vista Shopping Center (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Forrest City include: Summerfield Church (A), Jerusalem Church (B), Church of God of Forrest City (C), Graham Memorial Presbyterian Church (D), Church of the Good Shepherd (E), First Methodist Church (F), First Christian Church (G), Saint Francis Catholic Church (H), Church of Christ (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Forrest City Cemetery (1), Mount Vernon Cemetery (2), Henderson Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Forest Lake Number 6 (A), Forest Lake Number 5 (B), Forest Lake Number 3 (C), Hickey Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Forrest City include: Smith Stadium (1), Stuart Springs Park (2), Northside Park (3), Beech Grove Park (4), Sycamore Street Park (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Forrest City Area Chamber of Commerce (203 North Izard Street), Honda of Forrest City (Tours & Charters; 4240 North Washington Street).
Hotels: Holiday Inn (200 Holiday Drive), Best Western Colony Inn (2333 North Washington Avenue), Save Inn (Highway 70 West), Luxury Inn (315 Barrow Hill Road), Forrest City-Days Inn (350 Barrow Hill Road), Econo Lodge Forrest City (204 Holiday Drive), Forrest City Super 8 Motel (215 Barrow Hill Road), Texas Motel (2021 East Broadway Street), Best Value Inn (115 Barrow Hill Road).
Court: St Francis County - Circuit Court Judge (Court House).
(25.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.1% for Black residents, 26.5% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Forrest City in 2010:
- 3,814 people in federal prisons
- 91 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 88 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 48 people in residential treatment centers for juveniles (non-correctional)
- 38 people in residential treatment centers for adults
- 5 people in other noninstitutional facilities
People in group quarters in Forrest City in 2000:
- 2,286 people in federal prisons and detention centers
- 179 people in nursing homes
- 108 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 36 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 31 people in other nonhousehold living situations
- 16 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Banks with branches in Forrest City (2011 data):
- First National Bank of Eastern Arkansas: Izard Street Branch, North Washington Branch, First National Bank Of Eastern Arkan. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $355.0 mil, Deposits: $314.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 14 total offices, Holding Company: Bancshares Of Eastern Arkansas, Inc.
- Forrest City Bank, National Association: at 715 N Washington, branch established on 1919/01/01; Express Bank Branch at 3200 North Washington, branch established on 1998/04/25. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $52.1 mil, Deposits: $47.4 mil, local headquarters, negative income in the last year, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Forrest City Financial Corporation
- Regions Bank: Forrest City - Rosser Branch at 321 North Rosser, branch established on 1921/01/01; Forrest City Civic Ctr Branch at 1403 Washington Street, branch established on 2009/07/01. Info updated 2011/02/24: Bank assets: $123,368.2 mil, Deposits: $98,301.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1778 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- The First National Bank of Wynne: Forrest City Branch at 810 North Washington, branch established on 1986/12/05. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $259.8 mil, Deposits: $224.3 mil, headquarters in Wynne, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: First National Corporation Of Wynne
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Forrest City city (based on St. Francis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|St. Francis County:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|St. Francis County:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||0.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|St. Francis County:||7.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|St. Francis County:||32.4%|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Forrest City, AR Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$11,816||$47,264||8||$4,574|
|Judicial and Legal||8||$17,688||$26,532||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||34||$102,621||$36,219||0||$0|
|Police - Other||11||$23,074||$25,172||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||11||$21,941||$23,936||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||18||$34,729||$23,153||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||10||$21,474||$25,769||6||$4,552|
|Other and Unallocable||8||$17,854||$26,781||3||$1,846|
|Totals for Government||154||$429,535||$33,470||26||$14,931|
5.85% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($22,727 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Crittenden County, AR||0.83% ($22,047 average AGI)|
|from Cross County, AR||0.64% ($29,755)|
|from Lee County, AR||0.53% ($21,024)|
7.12% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,944 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Forrest City:
- KXJK (950 AM; 5 kW; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KWAM (990 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHBQ (560 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WREC (600 AM; 5 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KWYN (1400 AM; 1 kW; WYNNE, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Forrest City:
- KARH (88.1 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- K204CK (91.5 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- K234AB (94.7 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL DIST., UNV OF ARK)
- KTRQ (102.3 FM; COLT, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KBFC (93.5 FM; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KWYN-FM (92.5 FM; WYNNE, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KAKJ (105.3 FM; MARIANNA, AR; Owner: L.T. SIMES II & RAYMOND SIMES)
- WYPL (89.3 FM; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: MEMPHIS/SHELBY COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY & INFO CNTR.)
- KVRN (90.7 FM; MARVELL, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Forrest City:
- KVTJ (Channel 48; JONESBORO, AR; Owner: AGAPE CHURCH, INC.)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 30Number of bridges
- 152m499ftTotal length
- 191,082Total average daily traffic
- 39,622Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
Drinking water stations with addresses in Forrest City and their reported violations in the past:FORREST CITY WATERWORKS (Population served: 14,049, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-31-2014), St Public Notif received (MAR-20-2014), St Compliance achieved (APR-01-2014)
- MCL, Average - Between JAN-2009 and MAR-2009, Contaminant: Trichloroethylene. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-07-2009), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-08-2009), St Public Notif received (JUN-03-2009), St Compliance achieved (2 times from OCT-25-2010 to JAN-07-2011)
- MCL, Average - Between OCT-2008 and DEC-2008, Contaminant: Trichloroethylene. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (APR-03-2009), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-08-2009), St Compliance achieved (2 times from OCT-25-2010 to JAN-07-2011)
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2008 and JUN-2008, Contaminant: Trichloroethylene. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (AUG-08-2008), St Public Notif received (SEP-11-2008), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-08-2009), St Compliance achieved (2 times from JUN-09-2009 to JAN-07-2011)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Forrest City, Arkansas:
- Days Inn, 200 Holiday Dr, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335
- Americas Best Value Inn, 115 Barrow Hill Rd, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 , Phone: (870) 633-0042
- Econo Lodge, 204 Holiday Dr, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 , Phone: (870) 633-6900, Fax: (870) 633-6900
- Hampton Inn Forrest City, 300 Holiday Dr, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 , Phone: (870) 630-9000, Fax: (870) 630-0951
- Comfort Suites, 320 Holiday Dr, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 , Phone: (870) 633-2300, Fax: (870) 633-2301
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 220 Eldridge Rd, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 , Phone: (870) 633-3700, Fax: (870) 633-3701
- Super 8, 215, Barrow Hl Road,Forrest City, Forrest City, Arkansas 72335 , Phone: (870) 633-0888
|Most common first names in Forrest City, AR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Forrest City, AR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (55%)
- Electricity (43%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
|Businesses in Forrest City, AR|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Payless||1|
|Burger King||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|Days Inn||1||Super 8||1|
|H&R Block||1||Taco Bell||1|
Forrest City compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Forrest City on our top lists:
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Law enforcement workers including supervisors (population 5,000+)"
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in federal prisons and detention centers (population 1,000+)"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of burglaries per 100,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+)"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of murders per 100,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data (population 5,000+)"
- #95 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of males (pop. 5,000+)"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest household incomes disparities (population 5,000+)"
Total of 13 patent applications in 2008-2019.