|Median resident age:||37.6 years|
|Indiana median age:||40.1 years|
Zip codes: 47341.
Fountain City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $79,316 (it was $71,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $663.
- White alone - 774 (97.2%)
- Two or more races - 13 (1.6%)
- Black alone - 7 (0.9%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
- Hispanic - 1 (0.1%)
Latest news from Fountain City, IN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (30.7%), English (9.8%), Irish (9.7%), United States (9.4%), Swedish (5.1%), Russian (4.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1114 feet
Land area: 0.26 square miles.
|Population density: 2,997 people per square mile||(average).|
For population 25 years and over in Fountain City:
- High school or higher: 91.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 2.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fountain City town:
- Never married: 19.3%
- Now married: 56.5%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 12.2%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Indiana and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Fountain City, Indiana as of January 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Fountain City to the number of sex offenders is 197 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $595 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $495 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Muncie, IN (29.8 miles , pop. 67,430).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Cincinnati, OH (60.8 miles , pop. 331,285).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (194.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Whitewater, IN (2.2 miles) , Lynn, IN (2.6 miles ), Hollansburg, OH (2.7 miles ), Spring Grove, IN (2.8 miles ), Greens Fork, IN (2.8 miles ), Richmond, IN (3.0 miles ), Economy, IN (3.0 miles) , New Paris, OH (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $90,300
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $96,000
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $111,900
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $116,300
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $160,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.95 N, Longitude: 84.92 W
Area code: 765
- Manufacturing (29%)
- Wholesale trade (15%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (40%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (17%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Health technologists and technicians (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Fountain City, Indiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Fountain City-area historical tornado activity is near Indiana state average. It is 99% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.7 miles away from the Fountain City town center killed one person and injured 12 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 4/25/1961, a category F4 tornado 21.3 miles away from the town center injured 7 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Fountain City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Indiana state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 131.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 189.9 miles away from Fountain City center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 49.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 176.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 205.3 miles away from Fountain City center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 137.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Wayne County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Fountain City:
- GOLDEN LIVING CENTER-RICHMOND (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
- OAK RIDGE CONVALESCENT CTR (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
- FMC - RICHMOND (Dialysis Facility, about 9 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
- REID HOSPITAL AND HEALTH CARE SERVICES (Hospital, about 9 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
- HERITAGE HOUSE OF RICHMOND (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
- HERITAGE REGENCY INC (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
- HICKORY CREEK AT RICHMOND (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; RICHMOND, IN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fountain City:
- Indiana University-East (about 7 miles; Richmond, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,867)
- Ball State University (about 31 miles; Muncie, IN; FT enrollment: 20,254)
- Miami University-Oxford (about 33 miles; Oxford, OH; FT enrollment: 17,670)
- Edison State Community College (about 41 miles; Piqua, OH; FT enrollment: 2,049)
- Sinclair Community College (about 41 miles; Dayton, OH; FT enrollment: 13,779)
- Anderson University (about 41 miles; Anderson, IN; FT enrollment: 2,378)
- University of Dayton (about 43 miles; Dayton, OH; FT enrollment: 10,392)
Public high school in Fountain City:
- Northeastern High School (Students: 547; Location: 7295 N US 27; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Fountain City:
Private elementary/middle school in Fountain City:
Notable locations in Fountain City: Levi Coffin House (A), Fountain City - New Garden Township Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 76.6. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.212. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 13.4 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 1.76. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 28.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 18.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.32. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.4 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Fountain City and their reported violations in the past:FOUNTAIN CITY WATER WORKS (Population served: 735, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:NEW GARDEN FRIENDS CHURCH (Population served: 40, Groundwater):
- CCR INADEQUATE REPORTING - Between JAN-19-2000 and DEC-31-2025, Consumer Confidence Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAR-01-2000)
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JAN-1998, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-05-2002)
- One routine major monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Fountain City that have no violations reported:
- NORTHEASTERN WAYNE SCHOOL/CONCESSION (Population served: 610, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(9.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 16.7% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Fountain City compared to Indiana state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Fountain City (2011 data):
- MainSource Bank: Fountain City Branch at Main Street (U.S. Highway 27), branch established on 1953/12/19. Info updated 2009/12/09: Bank assets: $2,729.1 mil, Deposits: $2,167.0 mil, headquarters in Greensburg, IN, positive income, 86 total offices, Holding Company: Mainsource Financial Group, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (73%)
- Electricity (20%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Religion statistics for Fountain City town (based on Wayne County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 41.11%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Southern Baptist Convention||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America|
|Name||American Baptist Churches in the USA||The Wesleyan Church||Church of the Nazarene||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Wayne County:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wayne County:||1.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wayne County:||4.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$2,411||$28,932||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$2,429||$29,148||1||$279|
|Streets and Highways||1||$1,990||$23,880||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||4||$9,695||$29,085||1||$279|
Fountain City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Sewerage: $0 ($0.00)
- Current Operations - Sewerage: $130,000 ($164.97)
General - Other: $129,000 ($163.71)
Water Utilities: $76,000 ($96.45)
Police Protection: $30,000 ($38.07)
Regular Highways: $22,000 ($27.92)
Financial Administration: $0 ($0.00)
Central Staff Services: $0 ($0.00)
- General - Interest on Debt: $32,000 ($40.61)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Fire Protection: $12,000 ($15.23)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $0 ($0.00)
Regular Highways: $0 ($0.00)
Police Protection: $0 ($0.00)
General - Other: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $115,000 ($145.94)
Fountain City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $133,000 ($168.78)
All Other: $19,000 ($24.11)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $23,000 ($29.19)
Highways: $13,000 ($16.50)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $11,000 ($13.96)
General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($5.08)
Rents: $1,000 ($1.27)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $82,000 ($104.06)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $25,000 ($31.73)
Highways: $22,000 ($27.92)
All Other: $16,000 ($20.30)
- Tax - Property: $92,000 ($116.75)
Individual Income: $28,000 ($35.53)
Public Utilities: $1,000 ($1.27)
NEC: $1,000 ($1.27)
Fountain City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $615,000 ($780.46)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $585,000 ($742.39)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $30,000 ($38.07)
Fountain City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $462,000 ($586.29)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $80,000 ($101.52)
4.42% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200533,305 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries($124 average AGI)
Wayne County: 0.14% Indiana average: 0.10%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Fayette County, IN||0.33% ($30,659 average AGI)|
|from Preble County, OH||0.32% ($26,706)|
|from Randolph County, IN||0.29% ($20,132)|
5.39% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200634,331 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Fountain City:
- WHON (930 AM; 1 kW; CENTERVILLE, IN; Owner: BREWER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKBV (1490 AM; 1 kW; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: RODGERS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WSAI (1530 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WONE (980 AM; 5 kW; DAYTON, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WRFD (880 AM; daytime; 23 kW; COLUMBUS-WORTHINGTON, OH; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF OHIO, INC.)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WHIO (1290 AM; 5 kW; DAYTON, OH; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Fountain City:
- WQLK (96.1 FM; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: BREWER BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WFMG (101.3 FM; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: RODGERS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WZZY (98.3 FM; WINCHESTER, IN; Owner: RODGERS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDJO (106.5 FM; GREENVILLE, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WVXR (89.3 FM; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: XAVIER UNIVERSITY)
- W237AT (95.3 FM; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE COLLEGE)
- W213AO (90.5 FM; NEW PARIS, OH; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY)
- WHKO (99.1 FM; DAYTON, OH; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WTGR (97.5 FM; UNION CITY, OH; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC. OF OHIO)
- WDPG (89.9 FM; GREENVILLE, OH; Owner: DAYTON PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WMDH-FM (102.5 FM; NEW CASTLE, IN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGTZ (92.9 FM; EATON, OH; Owner: BLUE CHIP BROADCASTING LICENSES, LTD)
- WJYW (88.9 FM; UNION CITY, IN; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC)
- WIFE (100.3 FM; CONNERSVILLE, IN; Owner: RODGERS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMUB (88.5 FM; OXFORD, OH; Owner: THE PRES.& TRUSTEES OF MIAMI UNIV.)
- WBSH (91.1 FM; HAGERSTOWN, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WECI (91.5 FM; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: EARLHAM COLLEGE)
- WLBC-FM (104.1 FM; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: MUNCIE SABRECOM, INC.)
- WDKF (94.5 FM; ENGLEWOOD, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
TV broadcast stations around Fountain City:
- WHIO-TV (Channel 7; DAYTON, OH; Owner: WHIO-TV HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WDTN (Channel 2; DAYTON, OH; Owner: WDTN BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WPTO (Channel 14; OXFORD, OH; Owner: GREATER DAYTON PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
- WKEF (Channel 22; DAYTON, OH; Owner: WKEF LICENSEE L.P.)
- WRGT-TV (Channel 45; DAYTON, OH; Owner: WRGT LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPTD (Channel 16; DAYTON, OH; Owner: GREATER DAYTON PUBLIC TV, INC.)
- WKOI (Channel 43; RICHMOND, IN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING OF INDIANA, INC.)
- W61DE (Channel 61; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WIPB (Channel 49; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
Fountain City fatal accident list:
Jul 15, 2006 01:30 PM, South Green, Haryley Ave, Lat: 39.95256, Lon: -84.91807, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Jan 30, 1999 02:43 AM, Us-27, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jul 26, 1992 04:12 AM, 27, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Pedestrians: 2, Fatalities: 1
Nov 5, 1984 04:25 AM, 27 N, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Total length: 2 meters (7ft)
Total costs: $885,000
Total average daily traffic: 624
Total average daily truck traffic: 31
Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic: 852
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 24
- Hazardous Condition: 5
Incident types - Fountain City
|Most common first names in Fountain City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Fountain City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Fountain City on our top lists:
- #47 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Hardware, plumbing and heating equipment and supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #94 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Petroleum and coal products"
- #58 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving out compared to moving in (pop. 50,000+)"
- #87 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides 24-hour air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
- #91 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides Annual air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
Total of 14 patent applications in 2008-2014.