Gary City, Texas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||26.2 years|
|Texas median age:||34.5 years|
Zip codes: 75643.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $19,159 (it was $17,151 in 2000)
Gary City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $100,386 (it was $40,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $134,141; Detached houses: $155,594; Mobile homes: $91,069
Median gross rent in 2016: $840.
Races in Gary City, TX (2010)
- 29193.6%White alone
- 61.9%Black alone
- 20.6%American Indian alone
- 20.6%Asian alone
- 20.6%Two or more races
Latest news from Gary City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (35.2%), American (24.2%), European (11.2%), German (5.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 1.90 square miles.
Population density: 161 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Gary City:
- High school or higher: 80.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 10.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gary City town:
- Never married: 34.2%
- Now married: 52.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 8.7%
1 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Gary City, Texas as of December 12, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Gary City to the number of sex offenders is 527 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,359 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $907 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Longview, TX (40.1 miles , pop. 73,344).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Shreveport, LA (46.1 miles , pop. 200,145).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (151.0 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Long Branch-Dotson, TX (2.7 miles ), Carthage, TX (3.0 miles ), Timpson, TX (3.0 miles ), Tenaha, TX (3.1 miles ), Beckville, TX (3.9 miles ), Garrison, TX (4.0 miles ), Pinehill, TX (4.2 miles ), De Berry-Deadwood, TX (4.4 miles ).
Latitude: 32.03 N, Longitude: 94.37 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (19%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (18%)
- Construction (15%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Retail trade (55%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (12%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Construction (3%)
- Health care and social assistance (2%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Management occupations (22%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (13%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (11%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (10%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Community and social service occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (28%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (28%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (20%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (9%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (2%)
- Management occupations (0%)
Average climate in Gary City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gary City-area historical tornado activity is above Texas state average. It is 117% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/12/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 22.0 miles away from the Gary City town center killed 18 people and injured 77 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/7/1989, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 3.1 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Gary City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 250.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 252.7 miles away from Gary City center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 217.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 379.4 miles away from the city center
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 382.8 miles away from Gary City center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 340.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Panola County (14) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 5, Fires: 4, Storms: 3, Floods: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Gary City:
- CARTHAGE DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
- CARTHAGE HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
- LEISURE LODGE CARTHAGE (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
- EVERGREEN SUCCESS STREET COMMUNITY HOME (Hospital, about 9 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
- ETMC CARTHAGE Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
- CARTHAGE LTC PARTNERS, INC (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
- PANOLA NH (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARTHAGE, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gary City:
- Stephen F Austin State University (about 34 miles; Nacogdoches, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,542)
- LeTourneau University (about 37 miles; Longview, TX; FT enrollment: 2,357)
- Kilgore College (about 38 miles; Kilgore, TX; FT enrollment: 3,127)
- Southern University at Shreveport (about 48 miles; Shreveport, LA; FT enrollment: 2,277)
- Louisiana State University-Shreveport (about 48 miles; Shreveport, LA; FT enrollment: 3,159)
- Bossier Parish Community College (about 55 miles; Bossier City, LA; FT enrollment: 6,209)
- The University of Texas at Tyler (about 56 miles; Tyler, TX; FT enrollment: 5,774)
Public high school in Gary City:
- GARY SCHOOL (Students: 384, Location: 132 BOBCAT TRL, Grades: PK-12)
Notable locations in Gary City: Gary Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (A), Gary Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Gary Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Daniels Ditch (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(27.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This town:||2.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Gary City town (based on Panola County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Panola County:||1.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Panola County:||2.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Panola County:||6.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Gary City, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$7,357||$29,428||2||$651|
|Totals for Government||3||$7,357||$29,428||2||$651|
Gary City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $1,035,000 ($3382.35)
Fire Protection: $4,000 ($13.07)
Parks & Recreation: $3,000 ($9.80)
General - Other: $1,000 ($3.27)
- Gas Utilities - Interest on Debt: $15,000 ($49.02)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $104,000 ($339.87)
Gary City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $15,000 ($49.02)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $1,071,000 ($3500.00)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $7,000 ($22.88)
Gary City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Gas Utilities: $286,000 ($934.64)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Gas Utilities: $286,000 ($934.64)
Gary City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $456,000 ($1490.20)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $0 ($0.00)
6.35% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($41,404 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Harrison County, TX||0.69% ($48,000 average AGI)|
|from Gregg County, TX||0.58% ($46,979)|
|from Rusk County, TX||0.50% ($53,122)|
5.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,467 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Gary City:
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KGAS (1590 AM; 3 kW; CARTHAGE, TX; Owner: JERRY T. HANSZEN)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOFY (1060 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GILMER, TX; Owner: JERRY RUSSELL D/B/A THE RUSSELL COMPANY)
- KWRD (1470 AM; 5 kW; HENDERSON, TX; Owner: JERRY RUSSELL D/B/A THE RUSSELL COMPANY)
- KDET (930 AM; 1 kW; CENTER, TX; Owner: CENTER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KTBB (600 AM; 5 kW; TYLER, TX; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KOKA (980 AM; 5 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: ACCESS.1 COMMUNICATIONS - SHREVEPORT, LLC)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gary City:
- KGAS-FM (104.3 FM; CARTHAGE, TX; Owner: HANSZEN BROADCASTING)
- KQBB (100.5 FM; CENTER, TX; Owner: CENTER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KRMD-FM (101.1 FM; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KNUE (101.5 FM; TYLER, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KTUX (98.9 FM; CARTHAGE, TX; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KPXI (100.7 FM; OVERTON, TX; Owner: INSPIRATION MEDIA OF TEXAS, LLC)
- KXAL-FM (100.3 FM; TATUM, TX; Owner: HUNT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTBQ (107.7 FM; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Gary City:
- KTBS-TV (Channel 3; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: KTBS, INC.)
- KLSB-TV (Channel 19; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Owner: KLSB ACQUISITION CORP.)
- KMSS-TV (Channel 33; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: COMCORP OF TEXAS LICENSE CORP.)
- KFXK (Channel 51; LONGVIEW, TX; Owner: WARWICK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KSLA-TV (Channel 12; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: KSLA, LLC)
- KSHV (Channel 45; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: WHITE KNIGHT BROADCASTING OF SHREVEPORT LIC. CORP.)
- KETK-TV (Channel 56; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: KETK LICENSEE L.P.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- 3,100Total average daily traffic
- 496Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,340Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (61%)
- Utility gas (38%)
Gary City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.