Norman County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level greater than 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Highest Potential
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 39.0. This is worse than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 1.99. This is better than average. There were 22 monitors within city limits.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µ/m3] level in 2010 was 22.5. This is about average. There were 50 monitors within city limits.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µ/m3] level in 2010 was 12.0. This is worse than average. There were 42 monitors within city limits.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Gary that have no violations reported:
- GARY (Population served: 204, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 1.5%
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.6 people|
|Minnesota: || 2.4 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 71.1%|
|Whole state: || 66.5%|
No gay or lesbian households reported
|This city: || 6.0%|
|Whole state: || 5.3%|
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Gary, MN
3 people in other group homes
Gary compared to Minnesota state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Gary (2011 data):
- The Gary State Bank: at 112 Main Ave, branch established on 1946/08/17. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $11.8 mil, Deposits: $10.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (64%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (23%)
- Electricity (14%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Norman County Minnesota:
Religion statistics for Gary (based on Norman County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 95.86%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||United Methodist Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Norman County:||4.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.83 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Norman County:||9.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Minnesota:||3.90 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|This county:||10.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.98 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Minnesota:||6.5%|Adult obesity rate:
|State:||25.9%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Other and Unallocable
|Totals for Government
Gary government finances in 2002:
- Charges - All Other: $17,000 ($79.07)
Solid Waste Management: $9,000 ($41.86)
Regular Highways: $2,000 ($9.30)
- Construction - Regular Highways: $9,000 ($41.86)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $41,000 ($190.70)
General - Other: $23,000 ($106.98)
Financial Administration: $15,000 ($69.77)
Water Utilities: $12,000 ($55.81)
Fire Protection: $11,000 ($51.16)
Solid Waste Management: $10,000 ($46.51)
Police Protection: $7,000 ($32.56)
Parks & Recreation: $4,000 ($18.60)
Central Staff Services: $3,000 ($13.95)
Health Services - Other: $1,000 ($4.65)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $110,000 ($511.63)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $101,000 ($469.77)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $9,000 ($41.86)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $25,000 ($116.28)
Interest Earnings: $2,000 ($9.30)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $1,000 ($4.65)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $21,000 ($97.67)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $68,000 ($316.28)
All Other: $6,000 ($27.91)
- Tax - Property: $27,000 ($125.58)
NEC: $1,000 ($4.65)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $23,000 ($106.98)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $6,000 ($27.91)
5.14% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($29,496 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
8.10% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($28,915 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Gary:
- WWNL (1080 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: STEEL CITY RADIO, INC.)
- KQWB (1660 AM; 10 kW; WEST FARGO, ND; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- KPRM (870 AM; 25 kW; PARK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: DE LA HUNT BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KKCQ (1480 AM; 5 kW; FOSSTON, MN; Owner: PINE TO PRAIRIE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFNW (1200 AM; 10 kW; WEST FARGO, ND; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- WDAY (970 AM; 5 kW; FARGO, ND; Owner: FORUM COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY)
- KFGO (790 AM; 5 kW; FARGO, ND; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KVOX (1280 AM; 5 kW; MOORHEAD, MN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- KNOX (1310 AM; 5 kW; GRAND FORKS, ND; Owner: LEIGHTON ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- KXMR (710 AM; 50 kW; BISMARCK, ND; Owner: RADIO BISMARCK MANDAN, LLC)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KBRF (1250 AM; 10 kW; FERGUS FALLS, MN; Owner: RESULT RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gary:
- KRJM (101.5 FM; MAHNOMEN, MN; Owner: R & J BROADCASTING)
- KRJB (106.3 FM; ADA, MN; Owner: R & J BROADCASTING)
- KRVI (95.1 FM; DETROIT LAKES, MN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KVOX-FM (99.9 FM; MOORHEAD, MN; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Gary:
- KXJB-TV (Channel 4; VALLEY CITY, ND; Owner: CATAMOUNT BROADCASTING OF FARGO LLC)
- KVRR (Channel 15; FARGO, ND; Owner: RED RIVER BROADCAST CO., LLC)
Gary fatal accident list:
Sep 24, 2004 06:53 PM, 45, Main Street, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- 1/3 Mi Ne Int Cty Hwy 19 & St Hwy 32 (Lat: 47.375250 Lon: -96.266167), Call Sign: WYC852, Licensee ID: L00748803
Assigned Frequencies: 155.220 MHz
Grant Date: 10/16/2003, Expiration Date: 11/30/2013
Registrant: Norman County East Schools, Twin Valley, MN 56484
- Se 1/4 Section 26 Sundahl Twsp (Lat: 47.433583 Lon: -96.218389), Call Sign: KNGV924
Assigned Frequencies: 151.565 MHz
Grant Date: 08/07/1996, Expiration Date: 08/05/2001, Cancellation Date: 10/07/2001
Registrant: Wallace L Nelson, Rr 1 Box 190, Gary, MN 56545, Phone: (218) 356-8545
FAA Registered Aircraft:
- Aircraft: MARTINSON GENE E PIETENPOL AIRCAMPER (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 39GM , Serial Number: 0001, Year manufactured: 1987, Airworthiness Date: 10/19/1988
Registrant (Individual): Gene E Martinson, Rr 1, Gary, MN 56545
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172L (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3975Q , Serial Number: 17260075, Year manufactured: 1971, Airworthiness Date: 09/09/1971
Registrant (Individual): Gene E Martinson, Route 1, Gary, MN 56545
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
|Most common first names in Gary, MN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Gary, MN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|