|Median resident age:||44.7 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 78118
Gillett CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $103,353 (it was $54,200 in 2000)
- White alone - 573 (90.2%)
- Hispanic - 53 (8.3%)
- Two or more races - 9 (1.4%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 354 feet
Land area: 194.6 square miles.
Population density: 3.2 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Gillett:
- High school or higher: 73.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 41.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gillett CCD:
- Never married: 17.7%
- Now married: 65.8%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 6.3%
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Gillett, Texas as of May 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Gillett to the number of sex offenders is 619 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Gillett CCD:||0.6% ($307)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Antonio, TX (50.0 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Nixon, TX (3.6 miles ), Stockdale, TX (3.8 miles ), Runge, TX (3.8 miles ), Karnes City, TX (3.9 miles ), Falls City, TX (3.9 miles ), Nordheim, TX (4.0 miles ), Smiley, TX (4.0 miles ), Poth, TX (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 29.09 N, Longitude: 97.80 W
Area code: 830
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers (8%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (7%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Educational services (27%)
- Health care (22%)
- Finance and insurance (15%)
- Utilities (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (14%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (13%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (12%)
- Health technologists and technicians (10%)
- Registered nurses (9%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
Average climate in Gillett, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gillett-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 3% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/25/1966, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 18.9 miles away from the Gillett place center injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 12/1/1953, a category F3 tornado 29.7 miles away from the place center injured 10 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Gillett-area historical earthquake activity is below Texas state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 27.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 344.6 miles away from Gillett center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 18.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 324.5 miles away from the city center
On 7/20/1991 at 23:38:19, a magnitude 3.6 (3.4 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 19.2 miles away from Gillett center
On 3/24/1997 at 22:31:34, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 95.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Karnes County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 5, Fires: 2, Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Gillett:
- COLONIAL CONVALESCENT AND NURSIN (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; NIXON, TX)
- STOCKDALE NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; STOCKDALE, TX)
- KARNES CITY HOSPITAL INC (Hospital, about 15 miles away; KARNES CITY, TX)
- KARNES CITY CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; KARNES CITY, TX)
- KARNES CITY HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; KARNES CITY, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gillett:
- Coastal Bend College (about 46 miles; Beeville, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,880)
- St Philip's College (about 46 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 5,970)
- Palo Alto College (about 49 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 5,055)
- University of the Incarnate Word (about 49 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 6,875)
- Trinity University (about 49 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 2,467)
- San Antonio College (about 49 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 15,182)
- Our Lady of the Lake University (about 51 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 2,133)
Notable locations in Gillett: Panna Maria Historic District (A), Saint Joseph School Museum (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Gillett: Gillett Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Mary Cemetery (1), Salt Creek Cemetery (2), Treybig Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Korth Lake (A), Pawelek Lake Number 2 (B), Pawelek Lake Number 1 (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Shockley Creek (A), Cibolo Creek (B), Rhymes Creek (C), Pridgeon Creek (D), Panna Maria Creek (E), Mustang Creek (F), Mulifest Creek (G), Jacobs Creek (H), Jack Pump Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Gillett compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (50%)
- Electricity (40%)
- Utility gas (7%)
- Wood (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Gillett CCD (based on Karnes County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 62.70%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Karnes County:||2.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Karnes County:||0.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Karnes County:||6.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
7.30% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,927 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bexar County, TX||1.07% ($36,773 average AGI)|
|from Bee County, TX||0.68% ($27,750)|
|from Wilson County, TX||0.41% ($28,235)|
6.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,089 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Gillett:
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KSAH (720 AM; 10 kW; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Owner: KSAH LICENSING, INC.)
- KCTA (1030 AM; 50 kW; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Owner: BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF THE SOUTHWEST)
- KENS (1160 AM; 25 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
- KSLR (630 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF TEXAS, INC.)
- KDRY (1100 AM; 11 kW; ALAMO HEIGHTS, TX; Owner: KDRY RADIO, INC.)
- KTSA (550 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF SAN ANTONIO)
- KONO (860 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KXTN (1310 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- KLUP (930 AM; 5 kW; TERRELL HILLS, TX; Owner: SOUTH TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KEDA (1540 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: D & E BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gillett:
- KXTN-FM (107.5 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KROM (92.9 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KSMG (105.3 FM; SEGUIN, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KISS-FM (99.5 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KCJZ (106.7 FM; TERRELL HILLS, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KEMA (94.5 FM; THREE RIVERS, TX; Owner: ROY E. HENDERSON)
- KTNR (92.1 FM; KENEDY, TX; Owner: GOOD NEWS BROADCASTING OF TEXAS)
TV broadcast stations around Gillett:
- K45DX (Channel 45; FLORESVILLE, TX; Owner: TELEFUTURA PARTNERSHIP OF FLORESVILLE)
- KENS-TV (Channel 5; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
- WOAI-TV (Channel 4; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KVDA (Channel 60; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TELEMUNDO OF TEXAS PARTNERSHIP, LP)
- KABB (Channel 29; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KABB LICENSEE, LLC)
- KSAT-TV (Channel 12; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: POST-NEWSWEEK STATIONS, SAN ANTONIO, LP)
- KWEX-TV (Channel 41; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KWEX LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, L.P.)
- KSAA-LP (Channel 28; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: MAKO COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- KHCE (Channel 23; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: SAN ANTONIO COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL TV, INC.)
- KXTM-LP (Channel 21; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: HUMBERTO LOPEZ)
- KLRN (Channel 9; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: ALAMO PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- KRRT (Channel 35; KERRVILLE, TX; Owner: SAN ANTONIO (KRRT-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- KFTO-CA (Channel 67; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TELEFUTURA PARTNERSHIP OF SAN ANTONIO)
- KQVE-LP (Channel 46; La VERNIA, TX; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- KAVU-TV (Channel 25; VICTORIA, TX; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
Gillett fatal accident list:
Dec 4, 1987 12:20 AM, 80, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Gillett)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:34 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- GEORGE H1, 1 M E Of Hwy 80 On County Road 277 (Lat: 29.160389 Lon: -97.755222), Type: Tower, Structure height: 45.7 m, Call Sign: WQPL928
Assigned Frequencies: 11345.0 MHz, 11465.0 MHz
Grant Date: 06/25/2012, Expiration Date: 06/25/2022, Certifier: Jamie Pulsay
Registrant: Twin Eagle Consulting, L.L.C., 7300 South Alton Way, Suite 5a, Centennial, CO 80112, Phone: (303) 606-6825, Fax: (202) 434-4646, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: N5DCD, Licensee ID: L00976330
Grant Date: 02/09/2005, Expiration Date: 04/12/2014, Certifier: James D Haley
Registrant: James D Haley, 1899 County Road 270, Gillett, TX 78116
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: MOONEY AIRPLANE CO INC M20TN (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: CONT MOTOR TSIO-550-G (280 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 478PS , Serial Number: 31-0027, Year manufactured: 2007, Airworthiness Date: 03/15/2007
Registrant (Partnership): Partners Lp Echelto, 13537 Fm 887, Gillett, TX 78116