Gilmore City, Iowa
Gilmore City: Looking South down Main Street from Highway 3
Gilmore City: This photograph serves as immutable proof that life in Gilmore City - Iowa's Limestone Capital - is both cheery and bright.
Gilmore City: A towering mansion of Gilmore City inches closer to perfection as its expensive renovations move toward completion.
Gilmore City: Falling Leaves in Gilmore City 2008
Gilmore City: POST OFFICE
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||40.1 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.0 years|
Zip codes: 50541.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,364 (it was $15,511 in 2000)
Gilmore City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $51,005 (it was $39,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $51,494; Detached houses: $51,548
Median gross rent in 2016: $444.
Races in Gilmore City, IA (2010)
- 48896.8%White alone
- 40.8%Two or more races
- 20.4%Black alone
- 20.4%Asian alone
Latest news from Gilmore City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (17.1%), American (16.6%), Norwegian (14.1%), English (8.8%), Irish (6.3%), Danish (3.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 04/16/1887
Elevation: 1240 feet
Land area: 1.24 square miles.
Population density: 404 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Gilmore City:
- High school or higher: 91.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gilmore City city:
- Never married: 24.7%
- Now married: 53.3%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 11.3%
- Divorced: 8.5%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Gilmore City, Iowa as of February 25, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Gilmore City to the number of sex offenders is 238 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $663 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $687 (1.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Ames, IA (63.9 miles , pop. 50,731).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (129.8 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (351.4 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Bradgate, IA (2.3 miles) , Pioneer, IA (2.4 miles) , Rolfe, IA (2.7 miles ), Rutland, IA (2.8 miles) , Palmer, IA (3.3 miles ), Clare, IA (3.3 miles) , Humboldt, IA (3.4 miles ), Pocahontas, IA (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $85,000
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $35,000
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $30,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $167,300
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $116,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.73 N, Longitude: 94.44 W
Area code: 515
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (35%)
- Transportation and warehousing (14%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Construction (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Health care and social assistance (17%)
- Manufacturing (13%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Construction (8%)
- Information (7%)
- Transportation occupations (26%)
- Production occupations (24%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
- Material moving occupations (5%)
- Sales and related occupations (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (19%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (16%)
- Personal care and service occupations (11%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
Average climate in Gilmore City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gilmore City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 94% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1979, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.6 miles away from the Gilmore City city center killed 3 people and injured 26 people and caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
On 8/29/1964, a category F4 tornado 17.0 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Gilmore City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 218.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 269.5 miles away from Gilmore City center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 226.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 223.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 453.8 miles away from Gilmore City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 158.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Humboldt County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 7, Tornadoes: 6, Winds: 2, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Gilmore City:
- HUMBOLDT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPI (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; HUMBOLDT, IA)
- QHC HUMBOLDT NORTH, LLC (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; HUMBOLDT, IA)
- QHC HUMBOLDT SOUTH, LLC (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; HUMBOLDT, IA)
- POCAHONTAS COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; POCAHONTAS, IA)
- GOOD SAMARITAN SOCIETY - MANSON (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; MANSON, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gilmore City:
- Iowa Central Community College (about 21 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,682)
- Buena Vista University (about 40 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
- Iowa Lakes Community College (about 51 miles; Estherville, IA; FT enrollment: 2,311)
- Iowa State University (about 64 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- North Iowa Area Community College (about 73 miles; Mason City, IA; FT enrollment: 2,235)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 83 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Drake University (about 88 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
Public elementary/middle school in Gilmore City:
- GILMORE CITY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 82, Location: 402 SE E AVE, Grades: KG-6)
Notable locations in Gilmore City: Gilmore City (A), Pro Cooperative Elevator (B), Gilmore City Ambulance (C), Gilmore City Fire Department (D), Gilmore City Police Department (E), Gilmore City City Hall (F), Gilmore City Library (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Gilmore City include: Saint John's Church (A), First Lutheran Church (B), Faith United Methodist Church (C), First Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
(14.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Banks with branches in Gilmore City (2011 data):
- Bank Iowa: Gilmore City Branch at 106 Southeast C Avenue, branch established on 1931/10/19. Info updated 2011/08/05: Bank assets: $1,089.9 mil, Deposits: $913.9 mil, headquarters in West Des Moines, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 24 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Iowa Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Gilmore City city (based on Humboldt County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Humboldt County:||2.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Humboldt County:||8.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Gilmore City, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$2,704||$16,224||6||$622|
|Streets and Highways||2||$1,318||$7,908||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$314||$1,884||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$2,015||$12,090||2||$142|
|Totals for Government||13||$9,123||$8,421||31||$3,748|
Gilmore City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $517,000 ($1031.94)
Regular Highways: $52,000 ($103.79)
Water Utilities: $47,000 ($93.81)
Sewerage: $30,000 ($59.88)
Solid Waste Management: $27,000 ($53.89)
Libraries: $27,000 ($53.89)
Police Protection: $17,000 ($33.93)
General - Other: $13,000 ($25.95)
Health Services - Other: $8,000 ($15.97)
Fire Protection: $8,000 ($15.97)
General Public Buildings: $6,000 ($11.98)
Financial Administration: $6,000 ($11.98)
Central Staff Services: $4,000 ($7.98)
Judicial and Legal Services: $2,000 ($3.99)
- General - Interest on Debt: $3,000 ($5.99)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $114,000 ($227.54)
Gilmore City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $25,000 ($49.90)
Solid Waste Management: $23,000 ($45.91)
All Other: $9,000 ($17.96)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $19,000 ($37.92)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $4,000 ($7.98)
General Revenue, NEC: $3,000 ($5.99)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $580,000 ($1157.68)
Water Utilities: $42,000 ($83.83)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $47,000 ($93.81)
General Support: $5,000 ($9.98)
- Tax - Property: $85,000 ($169.66)
Total General Sales: $11,000 ($21.96)
NEC: $1,000 ($2.00)
Gilmore City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $68,000 ($135.73)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $68,000 ($135.73)
Gilmore City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $406,000 ($810.38)
4.67% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,720 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
5.26% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,102 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Gilmore City:
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KVFD (1400 AM; 1 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gilmore City:
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KIAQ (96.9 FM; CLARION, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KKEZ (94.5 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KHBT (97.7 FM; HUMBOLDT, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KTLB (105.9 FM; TWIN LAKES, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KJYL (100.7 FM; EAGLE GROVE, IA; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- K206BF (89.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KUEL (92.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Gilmore City:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Gilmore City and their reported violations in the past:GILMORE CITY WATERWORKS (Population served: 504, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JUN-01-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (NOV-22-2011), St Public Notif requested (NOV-22-2011), St BCA signed (NOV-30-2011), St Public Notif received (JUN-18-2012), St Compliance achieved (OCT-12-2012)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2005 and AUG-2007, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (OCT-19-2007), St Public Notif requested (OCT-19-2007), St BCA signed (NOV-16-2007), St Public Notif received (JUN-11-2008), St Compliance achieved (JUL-08-2008)
- One routine major monitoring violation
- 3 regular monitoring violations
|Most common first names in Gilmore City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Gilmore City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (85%)
- Electricity (13%)
- Wood (2%)
Gilmore City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2018.