We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||39.4 years|
|Virginia median age:||37.8 years|
Zip codes: 22942.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,994 (it was $17,881 in 2000)
Gordonsville town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $189,088 (it was $89,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $829.
Races in Gordonsville, VA (2010)
- 1,04269.7%White alone
- 34723.2%Black alone
- 352.3%Two or more races
- 70.5%Asian alone
- 10.07%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Small businesses are especially popular in Florida Mar 28
- Early delinquencies are more likely for higher income borrowers Mar 26
- Selecting an airline for a trip Mar 24
- People with mortgaged homes are the least risky borrowers Mar 22
- Food services is among the worst-performing sectors in the Midwest Mar 20
|In Search Of - Best Barbecue Within 10 Miles of the Beltway? (38 replies)|
|Good place to raise a family around UVA? Lake Monticello? Waynesboro? Hollymead/Forest Lakes? (0 replies)|
|Gordonsville, Virginia? (10 replies)|
|Charlottesville - Waynesboro commute (12 replies)|
|A slightly unusual house search request.... (4 replies)|
|Moving to Virginia late summer (5 replies)|
Latest news from Gordonsville, VA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (26.1%), English (11.3%), Irish (7.0%), German (6.9%), Scandinavian (1.4%), French Canadian (1.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1870
Elevation: 493 feet
Land area: 0.91 square miles.
Population density: 1,714 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Gordonsville:
- High school or higher: 75.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.2%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gordonsville town:
- Never married: 35.7%
- Now married: 43.7%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 11.3%
21 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Virginia and other state lists there were 15 registered sex offenders living in Gordonsville, Virginia as of March 29, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Gordonsville to the number of sex offenders is 102 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,209 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,070 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Richmond, VA (57.2 miles , pop. 197,790).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Washington, DC (83.3 miles , pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (208.1 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Orange, VA (3.0 miles ), Blue Ridge Shores, VA (3.0 miles ), Ruckersville, VA (3.5 miles ), Piney Mountain, VA (3.5 miles ), Louisa, VA (3.6 miles ), Hollymead, VA (3.7 miles ), Rivanna, VA (3.9 miles ), Pantops, VA (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 38.13 N, Longitude: 78.19 W
Area code: 540
|Crime rates in Gordonsville by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 288.6)||100.0||122.1||102.6||94.8||153.7||121.2||130.0||112.9||79.7||47.6||106.9||71.5||114.1||66.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Gordonsville detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||5.07|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (22%)
- Construction (15%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (31%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Production occupations (20%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (16%)
- Management occupations (14%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (16%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (16%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (14%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Healthcare support occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
Average climate in Gordonsville, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gordonsville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Virginia state average. It is 22% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/24/2001, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.1 miles away from the Gordonsville town center injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 7/25/1985, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.4 miles away from the town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Gordonsville-area historical earthquake activity is near Virginia state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 40.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 260.1 miles away from Gordonsville center
On 5/5/2003 at 16:32:32, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 27.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 190.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/15/1991 at 06:54:08, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 10.9 mi) earthquake occurred 30.7 miles away from Gordonsville center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 313.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Orange County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 5, Hurricanes: 4, Storms: 4, Floods: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Earthquake: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: James W. Flanagan - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Gordonsville:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Gordonsville:
- DOGWOOD VILLAGE OF ORANGE COUNTY HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; ORANGE, VA)
- UVA ORANGE DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; ORANGE, VA)
- LOUISA HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; LOUISA, VA)
- CHARLOTTESVILLE NORTH DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA)
- DAVITA - CHARLOTTESVILLE (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA)
- WESTMINSTER CANTERBURY BLUE RI (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA)
airports located in Gordonsville:
- Gordonsville Municipal Airport (GVE) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 37, Itinerant Ops: 2,279, Local Ops: 7,534, Military Ops: 314)
Amtrak station near Gordonsville:
- 19 miles: CHARLOTTSVILLE (CHARLOTTESVILE, 810 W. MAIN ST.) . Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Operable nuclear power plants near Gordonsville:
- 18 miles: North Anna 1 and 2 in Mineral, VA.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gordonsville:
- Piedmont Virginia Community College (about 19 miles; Charlottesville, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,029)
- University of Virginia-Main Campus (about 19 miles; Charlottesville, VA; FT enrollment: 22,274)
- Germanna Community College (about 28 miles; Locust Grove, VA; FT enrollment: 4,455)
- University of Mary Washington (about 41 miles; Fredericksburg, VA; FT enrollment: 4,506)
- Blue Ridge Community College (about 43 miles; Weyers Cave, VA; FT enrollment: 2,891)
- James Madison University (about 43 miles; Harrisonburg, VA; FT enrollment: 19,727)
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College (about 52 miles; Richmond, VA; FT enrollment: 8,271)
Public elementary/middle school in Gordonsville:
- GORDON-BARBOUR ELEM (Students: 430, Location: 500 W BAKER STREET, Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Gordonsville: Orange County Rescue Squad Gordonsville Garage (A), Gordonsville Volunteer Fire Department Company Number 24 (B), Orange County Rescue Squad Station Number 24 (C), Gordonsville Police Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Gordonsville include: Christ Episcopal Church (A), Gordonsville Baptist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Gordonsville include: Old Gordon Inn Memorial (1), Gordonsville Historic District (2), Dix Memorial Pool (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Exchange Hotel Civil War Museum (400 North Main Street), Orange County Office Of (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 200 South Main).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 49.3. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 28.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 13.8. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.54. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
(10.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 28.6% for Black residents, 32.4% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Banks with branches in Gordonsville (2011 data):
- Bank of America, National Association: Gordonsville Branch at 104 South Main Street, branch established on 1958/07/26. Info updated 2009/11/18: Bank assets: $1,451,969.3 mil, Deposits: $1,077,176.8 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5782 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Gordonsville Branch at 202 South Main Street, branch established on 1970/08/31. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
- Woodforest National Bank: Gordonsville Virginia Branch at 164 Camp Creek Parkway, branch established on 2009/10/05. Info updated 2011/05/10: Bank assets: $3,488.9 mil, Deposits: $3,097.6 mil, headquarters in Houston, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 766 total offices, Holding Company: Woodforest Financial Group Employee Stock Ownership Plan (With 401(K) Provisions) (Amended And
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Gordonsville town (based on Orange County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Orange County:||1.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orange County:||1.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||1.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orange County:||4.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Gordonsville, VA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$9,525||$57,150||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$19,592||$39,184||2||$1,116|
|Streets and Highways||2||$4,607||$27,642||1||$1,860|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||4||$1,218|
|Totals for Government||15||$47,873||$38,298||8||$5,394|
Gordonsville government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $175,000 ($112.18)
Regular Highways: $105,000 ($67.31)
Financial Administration: $81,000 ($51.92)
Central Staff Services: $56,000 ($35.90)
Solid Waste Management: $44,000 ($28.21)
Transit Utilities: $9,000 ($5.77)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $4,000 ($2.56)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $66,000 ($42.31)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $120,000 ($76.92)
Gordonsville government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $249,000 ($159.62)
- Miscellaneous - Fines and Forfeits: $52,000 ($33.33)
Interest Earnings: $30,000 ($19.23)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $890,000 ($570.51)
- Tax - Property: $219,000 ($140.38)
Occupation and Business License, NEC: $94,000 ($60.26)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $64,000 ($41.03)
Public Utilities Sales: $60,000 ($38.46)
Tobacco Products Sales: $37,000 ($23.72)
Other License: $4,000 ($2.56)
Gordonsville government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $3,655,000 ($2342.95)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $3,605,000 ($2310.90)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $50,000 ($32.05)
Gordonsville government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Bond Funds - Cash and Securities: $2,000,000 ($1282.05)
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $700,000 ($448.72)
- Sinking Funds - Cash and Securities: $250,000 ($160.26)
8.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($48,059 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Spotsylvania County, VA||1.41% ($59,536 average AGI)|
|from Culpeper County, VA||0.75% ($33,082)|
|from Fairfax County, VA||0.42% ($97,611)|
7.66% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,553 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Gordonsville:
- WKTR (840 AM; daytime; 8 kW; EARLYSVILLE, VA; Owner: WKTR, INC.)
- WCHV (1260 AM; 5 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WINA (1070 AM; 5 kW; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVCV (1340 AM; 1 kW; ORANGE, VA; Owner: PIEDMONT COMMUNICATIONS, INCORPORATE)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSVA (550 AM; 10 kW; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gordonsville:
- WJMA-FM (98.9 FM; ORANGE, VA; Owner: PIEDMONT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WCUL (103.1 FM; CULPEPER, VA; Owner: JOYNER LICENSE, INC.)
- WWWV (97.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WUMX (107.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: AIR VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WNRN (91.9 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: STU-COMM, INC.)
- WVTW (88.5 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION, INC)
- WTJU (91.1 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA)
- WHTE-FM (101.9 FM; RUCKERSVILLE, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W240AF (95.9 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WUVA (92.7 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: WUVA, INC.)
- WVTU (89.3 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
- WCYK-FM (99.7 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMXH-FM (105.7 FM; LURAY, VA; Owner: EASY RADIO, INC.)
- WMRY (103.5 FM; CROZET, VA; Owner: JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY BOARD OF VISITORS)
- WACL (98.5 FM; ELKTON, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLSA (105.5 FM; LOUISA, VA; Owner: MID-VIRGINIA BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQPO (100.7 FM; HARRISONBURG, VA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WTON-FM (94.3 FM; STAUNTON, VA; Owner: HIGH IMPACT COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WPVA (90.1 FM; WAYNESBORO, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WQMZ (95.1 FM; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: EURE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Gordonsville:
- WVIR-TV (Channel 29; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHTJ (Channel 41; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W50CM (Channel 50; CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA; Owner: SHENANDOAH VALLEY EDUCUCATIONAL TV CORP.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- 8,651Total average daily traffic
- 1,038Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 42 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Gordonsville, VA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 24 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Gordonsville)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Gordonsville)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 11 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Gordonsville and their reported violations in the past:GORDONSVILLE, TOWN OF (Population served: 1,800, Purch surface water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2011 and MAR-2011, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-18-2011), St Formal NOV issued (APR-18-2011), St Compliance achieved (JUN-24-2011)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2011 and MAR-2011, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-18-2011), St Formal NOV issued (APR-18-2011), St Compliance achieved (JUN-24-2011)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2007 and SEP-2007, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-11-2007), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-11-2007), St Compliance achieved (DEC-12-2007), St Public Notif received (JAN-15-2008)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2007 and SEP-2007, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-11-2007), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-11-2007), St Compliance achieved (DEC-12-2007), St Public Notif received (JAN-15-2008)
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JAN-01-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUN-28-2006), St Formal NOV issued (JUN-28-2006), St Public Notif received (JUL-06-2006), St Compliance achieved (OCT-12-2006)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 24
- Hazardous Condition: 34
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Gordonsville
|Most common first names in Gordonsville, VA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Gordonsville, VA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (58%)
- Utility gas (20%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (11%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (6%)
- No fuel used (3%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
|Businesses in Gordonsville, VA|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||McDonald's||1|
Gordonsville compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 28 patent applications in 2008-2017.