We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||50.7 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05733.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $27,289 (it was $17,031 in 2000)
Goshen town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $227,862 (it was $109,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $317,816; Detached houses: $335,432; Townhouses or other attached units: $170,526; In 2-unit structures: $667,927; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $239,014; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $739,005; Mobile homes: $121,341
Races in Goshen, VT (2010)
- 15997.0%White alone
- 10.6%Black alone
- 10.6%American Indian alone
|Hunting question in light of news story this weekend (45 replies)|
|Book About Vermont Titled Mud Season (10 replies)|
|Old Growth Forest hikes in VT (10 replies)|
|Is it just my land or are mosquitoes shockingly low this summer? (26 replies)|
|Heading to Vermont in late May for getaway with family.. (15 replies)|
|best hikes and swimming holes in central vermont (23 replies)|
Latest news from Goshen, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (16.7%), Scottish (11.5%), Irish (9.7%), Polish (7.9%), United States (7.9%), French (7.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 21.3 square miles.
Population density: 7.7 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Goshen:
- High school or higher: 93.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.0%
- Unemployed: 0.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Goshen town:
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 58.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 14.9%
7 residents are foreign born (1.3% North America, 0.9% Europe, 0.9% Latin America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Goshen town:||1.2% ($1,333)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (86.7 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (144.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (213.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Leicester, VT (2.0 miles ), Salisbury, VT (2.3 miles ), Brandon, VT (2.4 miles ), Ripton, VT (2.8 miles ), East Middlebury, VT (2.9 miles ), Hancock, VT (2.9 miles ), Whiting, VT (3.1 miles ), Sudbury, VT (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $91,700
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $118,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $118,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $80,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.87 N, Longitude: 73.02 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Construction (8%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (6%)
- Educational services (39%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Social assistance (14%)
- Health care (11%)
- Computer and electronic products (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Secondary school teachers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (20%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Computer specialists (5%)
- Social scientists and related workers (5%)
- Postsecondary teachers (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
Average climate in Goshen, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Goshen-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 54.4 miles away from the Goshen town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 10/24/1955, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 43.3 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Goshen-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 66.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 54.9 miles away from Goshen center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 75.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 54.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 61.8 miles away from Goshen center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 119.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Addison County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Amtrak stations near Goshen:
- 18 miles: KILLINGTON (RTE 4) - Seasonal Bus Station . Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: RANDOLPH (DEPOT SQ.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: RUTLAND (MERCHANTS ROW) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Goshen:
- Middlebury College (about 13 miles; Middlebury, VT; Full-time enrollment: 3,077)
- Castleton State College (about 20 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Norwich University (about 26 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Dartmouth College (about 39 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Champlain College (about 43 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- University of Vermont (about 44 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Community College of Vermont (about 44 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
Notable locations in Goshen: Proctor Lookout (A), Vermont Thorpe Camp (B), Goshen Four Corners (C), Moosalamoo Campground (D), Blueberry Hill Winter Sports Area (E), United States Forest Service Mount Moosalamoo Campground (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Goshen Cemetery (1), North Goshen Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Sugar Hill Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Gould Brook (A), Barnard Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 41.7. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.459. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 18.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 6.62. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.2 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.918. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 12.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.86. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Goshen town (based on Addison County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Addison County:||4.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Addison County:||1.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Addison County:||6.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.56% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($42,955 average adjusted gross income)
0.13% of residents moved from foreign countries ($262 average AGI)
Addison County: 0.13% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Chittenden County, VT||1.68% ($37,800 average AGI)|
|from Rutland County, VT||0.55% ($32,122)|
|from Washington County, VT||0.24% ($26,528)|
5.88% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,680 average adjusted gross income)
0.15% of residents moved to foreign countries ($638 average AGI)
Addison County: 0.15% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Goshen:
- WSYB (1380 AM; 5 kW; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WFAD (1490 AM; 1 kW; MIDDLEBURY, VT; Owner: ADDISON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Goshen:
- WEXP (101.5 FM; BRANDON, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C.)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWFY (100.9 FM; BERLIN, VT; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, LLC)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WGLY-FM (91.5 FM; BOLTON, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Goshen:
- WVER (Channel 28; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- W61CE (Channel 61; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MARGARET SANGUINETTI (ADMINISTRATRIX OF THE ESTATE))
Goshen fatal accident list:
Oct 7, 1989 01:30 PM, Vt 73, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- $810,000Total costs
- 424Total average daily traffic
- 7Total average daily truck traffic
- 636Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Goshen Dam - Spillway (Lat: 43.915278 Lon: -73.003889), Type: Pole, Structure height: 13.5 m, Call Sign: WPWR262
Assigned Frequencies: 169.425 MHzGrant Date: 01/08/2003, Expiration Date: 01/08/2013, Cancellation Date: 03/16/2013, Certifier: Donald J Rendall JrRegistrant: Green Mountain Power Corporation, 7 Green Mountain Drive, Montpellier, VT 05602, Phone: (802) 229-7922, Fax: (802) 229-7841, Email:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Goshen and their reported violations in the past:CAMP THORPE (Address: 680 CAPEN HILL RD , Population served: 106, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUL-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (JUL-27-2011), St Formal NOV issued (JUL-27-2011), St Public Notif requested (JUL-27-2011), St Boil Water Order (JUL-27-2011), St Compliance achieved (FEB-01-2012)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUL-2007, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (JUL-19-2007), St Formal NOV issued (JUL-19-2007), St Tech Assistance Visit (JUL-19-2007), St Public Notif requested (JUL-19-2007), St Public Notif received (AUG-21-2007), St Compliance achieved (JAN-29-2010)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - Between JUL-2008 and SEP-2008, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (OCT-22-2008), St Public Notif requested (OCT-22-2008), St Public Notif received (JUN-12-2009), St Compliance achieved (JAN-29-2010)
- One routine major monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (37%)
- Wood (36%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (25%)
- Other fuel (3%)
Goshen compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2019.