|Median resident age:||51.4 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05146.
Grafton town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $199,515 (it was $106,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 656 (96.6%)
- Two or more races - 11 (1.6%)
- Hispanic - 7 (1.0%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.4%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.3%)
|Vermont Weather (2561 replies)|
|News, Vermont Towns Have an Image, and They Say Dollar Stores Arenít Part of It. (73 replies)|
|Vermont's future and the youth fleeing the state. (156 replies)|
|Escape the Rat Race: 7 Reasons Professionals Are Moving to Vermont (34 replies)|
|Tell me about Rutland (34 replies)|
|Vermonters hit hard by hurricane (102 replies)|
Latest news from Grafton, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (15.1%), Irish (12.3%), United States (12.3%), French (8.3%), German (6.0%), Scottish (5.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 841 feet
Land area: 38.4 square miles.
Population density: 18 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Grafton:
- High school or higher: 83.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.6%
- Unemployed: 4.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grafton town:
- Never married: 17.2%
- Now married: 66.4%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 9.4%
38 residents are foreign born (2.9% Europe, 1.4% North America, 1.2% Latin America).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Grafton, Vermont as of May 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Grafton to the number of sex offenders is 309 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Grafton town:||2.2% ($2,290)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (59.7 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (97.5 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (174.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Chester-Chester Depot, VT (2.3 miles ), Athens, VT (2.3 miles ), Saxtons River, VT (2.4 miles ), Rockingham, VT (2.5 miles ), Windham, VT (2.5 miles ), Chester, VT (2.6 miles ), Andover, VT (2.9 miles ), North Walpole, NH (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 43.19 N, Longitude: 72.60 W
Area code: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (6%)
- Health care (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Health care (11%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (11%)
- Food (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (4%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (14%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Customer service representatives (5%)
- Postsecondary teachers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
Average climate in Grafton, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Grafton-area historical tornado activity is significantly above Vermont state average. It is 43% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.9 miles away from the Grafton town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 34.4 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Grafton-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 102.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 105.6 miles away from Grafton center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 54.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 105.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 112.2 miles away from Grafton center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 98.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Windham County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 8, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Grafton: Augustus I. Robbins.
Amtrak stations near Grafton:
- 9 miles: BELLOWS FALLS (DEPOT ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 16 miles: OKEMO (LUDLOW, OKEMO MOUNTAIN) - Seasonal Bus Station
- 17 miles: CLAREMONT (PLAINS RD.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grafton:
- Keene State College (about 25 miles; Keene, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,098)
- Dartmouth College (about 39 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 40 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Castleton State College (about 42 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Williams College (about 46 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
- Mount Wachusett Community College (about 52 miles; Gardner, MA; FT enrollment: 3,143)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 54 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
Public elementary/middle school in Grafton:
- Grafton Elementary School (Students: 84; Location: 58 SCHOOL STREET; Grades: K-6)
Notable locations in Grafton: Timbertrail Camp (A), Grafton Cross Country Ski Center (B), Windham Foundation (C), Grafton Historical Society Museum (D), Grafton Historical Museum Library (E), Grafton Public Library (F), Grafton Fireman's Association, Incorporated (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Grafton: Grafton Congregational Church and Chapel (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Village Cemetery (1), Stiles Cemetery (2), Houghtonville Cemetery (3), Cobb-West Cemetery (4), Middletown Cemetery (5), Burgess Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: South Branch Saxtons River (A), Hinkley Brook (B), Willie Brook (C), Howe Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Grafton Homestead (499 Route 121 East) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 86.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 3.66. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 9.6 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 22.9. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.02. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Grafton and their reported violations in the past:OLD TAVERN AT GRAFTON DANIELS CAFE (Address: 225 TOWNSHEND RD , Population served: 220, Groundwater):
Past health violations:GRAFTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Population served: 93, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (AUG-13-2010), St Formal NOV issued (AUG-13-2010), St Tech Assistance Visit (AUG-13-2010), St Public Notif requested (AUG-13-2010), St Compliance achieved (FEB-08-2012)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In MAR-2012, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (APR-02-2012), St Formal NOV issued (APR-02-2012), St Public Notif requested (APR-02-2012), St Boil Water Order (APR-02-2012), St Compliance achieved (MAY-07-2012)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2007, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (OCT-05-2007), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-05-2007), St Tech Assistance Visit (OCT-05-2007), St Public Notif requested (OCT-05-2007), St Public Notif received (OCT-23-2007), St Compliance achieved (SEP-25-2009)
- One regular monitoring violation
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Grafton compared to Vermont state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (66%)
- Wood (20%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (11%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Grafton town (based on Windham County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 26.61%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Episcopal Church||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Jewish||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Assemblies of God||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Windham County:||4.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,769 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved from foreign countries ($168 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.10% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cheshire County, NH||0.65% ($30,754 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.47% ($25,261)|
|from Franklin County, MA||0.22% ($38,415)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,600 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($193 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.08% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Grafton:
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKBK (1290 AM; 5 kW; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Grafton:
- WCFR-FM (96.3 FM; WALPOLE, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXKK (93.5 FM; SPRINGFIELD, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZSH (107.1 FM; BELLOWS FALLS, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Grafton:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTA (Channel 41; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- WNNE (Channel 31; HARTFORD, VT; Owner: HEARST-ARGYLE STATIONS, INC.)
- W17CI (Channel 17; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: UPPER VALLEY BROADCASTING, LLC)
Grafton fatal accident list:
Apr 23, 1988 11:00 PM, Fas 125, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Aug 24, 1987 11:10 AM, Fas 125, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jun 16, 1978 11:30 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 43 meters (141ft)
Total costs: $3,043,000
Total average daily traffic: 7,630
Total average daily truck traffic: 321
Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic: 10,151
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- Before 1900: 1
- 1900-1909: 0
- 1910-1919: 1
- 1920-1929: 0
- 1930-1939: 8
- 1940-1949: 2
- 1950-1959: 0
- 1960-1969: 0
- 1970-1979: 2
- 1980-1989: 1
- 1990-1999: 2
- 2000-2009: 0
- 2010-2012: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: N1DHY, Licensee ID: L00235773
Grant Date: 11/28/1995, Expiration Date: 11/28/2005, Cancellation Date: 11/29/2007
Registrant: Harley A Perkins, Main St, Grafton, VT 05146
- Call Sign: N1KLW, Previous Call Sign: KA1BIK, Licensee ID: L00387492
Grant Date: 10/07/2011, Expiration Date: 11/05/2021, Certifier: Kenneth E Osgood
Registrant: Kenneth E Osgood, 240 Richards Rd, Grafton, VT 05146
- Call Sign: N1MSC, Licensee ID: L00561294
Grant Date: 01/22/2013, Expiration Date: 01/22/2023, Certifier: William J Osgood
Registrant: William J Osgood, 204 Richards Rd, Grafton, VT 05146
- Call Sign: KB1KGI, Licensee ID: L00727517
Grant Date: 08/08/2003, Expiration Date: 08/08/2013, Cancellation Date: 11/01/2003, Certifier: Charles A Wojack
Registrant: Charles A Wojack, 1760 Middletown Rd, Grafton, VT 05146
- Call Sign: K1EGL, Previous Call Sign: KB1KGI, Licensee ID: L00727517
Grant Date: 11/01/2003, Expiration Date: 11/01/2013, Certifier: Charles A Wojack
Registrant: Charles A Wojack, 1760 Middletown Rd, Grafton, VT 05146
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: KOLB CO INC FIRESTAR II (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: 2 Cycle
N-Number: 433CL , Serial Number: 433
Registrant (Individual): James C Wilson, 1074 Cabell Rd, Grafton, VT 05146
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
- Hazardous Condition: 6
Incident types - Grafton