Grant City, Missouri
Grant City: The Grant City Citizen War Memorial
Grant City: our yard on 8th street
Grant City: The Grant City Court House Clock
Grant City: our yard on 8th street
Grant City: Grant City Water Tower
Grant City: Welsh Farm outside of Grant City
Grant City: The Grant City Medical Clinic
Grant City: The Grant City Court House
Grant City: Orilla's Way, Grant City
Grant City: Road on Welsh Farm outside of Grant City
Grant City: Grant City Court House and Citizen War Memorial
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||48.4 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.4 years|
Zip codes: 64456.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $20,620 (it was $14,009 in 2000)
Grant City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $52,862 (it was $28,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $73,046; Detached houses: $73,378; Mobile homes: $51,181
Median gross rent in 2015: $281.
Races in Grant City, MO (2010)
- 84498.3%White alone
- 30.3%Black alone
- 10.1%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
- 10.1%Two or more races
Latest news from Grant City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (37.6%), German (12.4%), English (11.4%), Irish (10.0%), Scotch-Irish (4.7%), Swiss (3.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1863
Elevation: 1136 feet
Land area: 1.26 square miles.
Population density: 649 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Grant City:
- High school or higher: 89.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 9.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grant City town:
- Never married: 16.0%
- Now married: 50.0%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 15.6%
- Divorced: 18.1%
1 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Grant City, Missouri as of April 28, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Grant City to the number of sex offenders is 274 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $501 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $403 (0.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Joseph, MO (55.1 miles , pop. 73,990).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (97.8 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (362.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Irena, MO (2.0 miles) , Worth, MO (2.4 miles) , Allendale, MO (2.6 miles) , Denver, MO (2.8 miles) , Redding, IA (2.9 miles) , Athelstan, IA (3.0 miles) , Blockton, IA (3.1 miles) , Gentry, MO (3.3 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $80,000
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $96,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $161,100
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 40.49 N, Longitude: 94.42 W
Area code: 660
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (19%)
- Manufacturing (17%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Retail trade (23%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (19%)
- Transportation occupations (17%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (4%)
- Healthcare support occupations (14%)
- Management occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Community and social service occupations (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
Average climate in Grant City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Grant City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Missouri state average. It is 81% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/7/1984, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.8 miles away from the Grant City town center killed 3 people and injured 64 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/2004, a category F4 tornado 27.4 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 6 people and caused $300,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Grant City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 375.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 60.4 miles away from Grant City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 349.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 366.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 367.8 miles away from Grant City center
On 2/11/1995 at 05:54:10, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 28.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Worth County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 5, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Leon C. Phillips - Lawyer and politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Grant City:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grant City:
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 27 miles; Maryville, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,946)
- Missouri Western State University (about 55 miles; Saint Joseph, MO; FT enrollment: 4,557)
- Highland Community College (about 63 miles; Highland, KS; FT enrollment: 2,148)
- Grantham University (about 87 miles; Kansas City, MO; FT enrollment: 8,385)
- Drake University (about 87 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Iowa Western Community College (about 91 miles; Council Bluffs, IA; FT enrollment: 5,344)
- Park University (about 91 miles; Parkville, MO; FT enrollment: 9,131)
Public high school in Grant City:
- WORTH CO. HIGH (Students: 187, Location: 510 EAST AVE, Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Grant City:
- WORTH CO. ELEM. (Students: 192, Location: 510 EAST AVE, Grades: PK-6)
Notable location: Worth County Fire Protection District (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(19.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
38 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Grant City (2011 data):
- Great Western Bank: Grant City Branch at 2 West 4th Street, branch established on 1881/09/07. Info updated 2010/06/08: Bank assets: $8,458.0 mil, Deposits: $6,362.5 mil, headquarters in Watertown, SD, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 187 total offices, Holding Company: National Australia Bank Limited
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Grant City town (based on Worth County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Worth County:||4.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Worth County:||9.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||19.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Grant City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$5,372||$21,488||6||$1,455|
|Totals for Government||5||$10,492||$25,181||6||$1,455|
4.63% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,270 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
6.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,755 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Nodaway County, MO||1.60% ($15,385 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Grant City:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFEQ (680 AM; 5 kW; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
- KYFR (920 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KAAN (870 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BETHANY, MO; Owner: KAAN, INC)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KMA (960 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: KMA BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Grant City:
- KXCV (90.5 FM; MARYVILLE, MO; Owner: NORTHWEST MISSOURI STATE UNIV.)
- KAAN-FM (95.5 FM; BETHANY, MO; Owner: KAAN, INC)
Grant City fatal accident list:
Sep 9, 2001 03:45 PM, Us-169, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Jan 10, 1983 07:30 PM, Lyon St, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
|Most common first names in Grant City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Grant City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (56%)
- Electricity (32%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
- Wood (5%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Grant City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2017.