We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||34.3 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 40734
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $14,747 (it was $10,847 in 2000)
Gray CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $85,871 (it was $52,100 in 2000)
Races in Gray, KY (2000)
- 2,95697.8%White alone
- 321.1%Two or more races
- 130.4%Black alone
- 80.3%American Indian alone
- 20.07%Other race alone
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1102 feet
Land area: 31.8 square miles.
Population density: 96 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Gray:
- High school or higher: 53.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gray CCD:
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 66.2%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 8.7%
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there were 12 registered sex offenders living in Gray, Kentucky as of December 05, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Gray to the number of sex offenders is 255 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Gray CCD:||0.7% ($353)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (67.2 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (80.4 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (392.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Camp Ground, KY (2.6 miles ), North Corbin, KY (2.6 miles ), Corbin, KY (2.6 miles ), Barbourville, KY (2.8 miles ), Girdler, KY (2.8 miles ), Artemus, KY (3.2 miles ), Bush, KY (3.3 miles ), Rockholds, KY (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 36.94 N, Longitude: 83.97 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 606
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (19%)
- Wood products (8%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Printing and related support activities (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (3%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (3%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (15%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Construction (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Gray, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Gray-area historical tornado activity is below Kentucky state average. It is 24% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 33.8 miles away from the Gray place center .
On 6/29/1973, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 14.2 miles away from the place center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Gray-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 87.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 79.3 miles away from Gray center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 238.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 83.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 193.4 miles away from Gray center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 221.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Knox County (23) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 19
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 14, Tornadoes: 6, Winter Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Mudslides: 2, Snows: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Gray:
- CHRISTIAN HEALTH CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; CORBIN, KY)
- BARBOURVILLE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; BARBOURVILLE, KY)
- CORBIN HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CORBIN, KY)
- THE HERITAGE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CORBIN, KY)
- SETON HOME HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; LONDON, KY)
- PROFESSIONAL HOME HEALTH CARE, INC (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; LONDON, KY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gray:
- University of the Cumberlands (about 18 miles; Williamsburg, KY; Full-time enrollment: 3,585)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 31 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- Somerset Community College (about 37 miles; Somerset, KY; FT enrollment: 4,698)
- Hazard Community and Technical College (about 49 miles; Hazard, KY; FT enrollment: 2,087)
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 54 miles; Cumberland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,196)
- Eastern Kentucky University (about 58 miles; Richmond, KY; FT enrollment: 13,525)
- Walters State Community College (about 65 miles; Morristown, TN; FT enrollment: 4,359)
Notable location: Bailey Switch Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Gray include: Grays Church (A), Candle Ridge Church (B), Mount Pleasant Church (C), Richland Church (D), Poplar Grove Church (E), Emanuel Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Black Cemetery (1), Turner Cemetery (2), Brafford Cemetery (3), Powell Cemetery (4), Clouse Cemetery (5), Helton Cemetery (6), Johnson Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Asher Branch (A), Dozier Fork (B), Cooley Branch (C), Wilson Branch (D), Stringer Branch (E), Lynn Camp Branch (F), Knox Fork (G), Jarvis Branch (H), Quillan Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2005 was 51.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 19.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 13.9. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 11.1 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Gray CCD (based on Knox County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Knox County:||2.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||3.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
5.69% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,393 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Laurel County, KY||1.40% ($22,794 average AGI)|
|from Whitley County, KY||1.21% ($20,763)|
|from Bell County, KY||0.52% ($27,735)|
5.27% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,509 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Gray:
- WKDP (1330 AM; 5 kW; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTT (680 AM; 1 kW; CORBIN, KY; Owner: ENCORE COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WEKC (710 AM; daytime; 4 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: GERALD PARKS)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WKLB (1290 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, KY; Owner: BARKER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WYWY (950 AM; 1 kW; BARBOURVILLE, KY; Owner: BARBOURVILLE-COMMNITY BROADC/G CO IN)
- WMIK (560 AM; 3 kW; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEZJ (1440 AM; 3 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFSR (970 AM; 5 kW; HARLAN, KY; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING COMPAY)
- WHLN (1410 AM; 5 kW; HARLAN, KY)
- WFTG (1400 AM; 1 kW; LONDON, KY; Owner: F.T.G. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Gray:
- WKDP-FM (99.5 FM; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCTT-FM (107.3 FM; CORBIN, KY; Owner: ENCORE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKKQ (96.1 FM; BARBOURVILLE, KY; Owner: BARBOURVILLE COMMUNITY B/NG CO.INC.)
- WVCT (91.5 FM; KEAVY, KY; Owner: VICTORY TRAINING SCHOOL CORP.)
- WWLT (103.1 FM; MANCHESTER, KY; Owner: VERNON R. BALDWIN, INC.)
- WMIK-FM (92.7 FM; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYGE (92.3 FM; LONDON, KY; Owner: ETHEL HUFF BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WEKX (102.7 FM; JELLICO, TN; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRIL (106.3 FM; PINEVILLE, KY; Owner: PINE HILLS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEZJ-FM (104.3 FM; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WTBK (105.7 FM; MANCHESTER, KY; Owner: MANCHESTER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WWEL (103.9 FM; LONDON, KY; Owner: F.T.G. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSEH (102.7 FM; CUMBERLAND, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSGS (101.1 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WTUK (105.1 FM; HARLAN, KY; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCTU (105.9 FM; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: STAIR COMPANY, INC)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WZQQ (97.9 FM; HYDEN, KY; Owner: LESLIE COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Gray:
- W33BK (Channel 33; CORBIN, KY; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WVTN-LP (Channel 48; CORBIN, KY; Owner: VICTORY TRAINING SCHOOL CORP.)
- W39CK (Channel 20; CORBIN, KY; Owner: DEREK RAY EUBANKS)
- W07AH (Channel 7; BARBOURVILLE, KY; Owner: BARBOURVILLE AREA TELEVISION CORP.)
- W04AF (Channel 4; BARBOURVILLE, KY; Owner: BARBOURVILLE AREA TELEVISION CORP.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:30 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Gray)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:5
- Lat: 36.953972 Lon: -83.977972, Call Sign: WPJM462
Assigned Frequencies: 160.020 MHz, 160.050 MHzGrant Date: 09/26/2011, Expiration Date: 08/03/2021, Certifier: Dallas R EubanksRegistrant: Professional Licensing Consultants, Inc., Rockville, MD 20849, Phone: (301) 309-2380, Fax: (301) 309-1996
- JOHNSON HOLLOW, Lat: 36.944806 Lon: -83.969556, Call Sign: KIA297
Assigned Frequencies: 173.350 MHz, 173.350 MHzGrant Date: 11/23/2010, Expiration Date: 01/30/2021Registrant: Pros Rf, 5219 Adairville Rd, Franklin, KY 42134-7500, Phone: (270) 908-4402, Fax: (786) 549-7864, Email:
- Top Of Gillium Knob 5 Km E (Lat: 36.945083 Lon: -83.968528), Type: Tower, Structure height: 79 m, Call Sign: KNBH652
Assigned Frequencies: 37.5400 MHz, 37.8000 MHzGrant Date: 08/30/2011, Expiration Date: 08/29/2021Registrant: Utility Telecom Consulting Group, Inc., 9850 S. Maryland Parkway, A5-108, Las Vegas, NV 89183, Phone: (303) 840-1041, Email:
- Lat: 36.945000 Lon: -83.968611, Call Sign: WPXT570
Assigned Frequencies: 466.462 MHz, 466.687 MHz, 466.987 MHz, 467.162 MHz, 467.400 MHz, 468.237 MHz, 468.512 MHz, 468.762 MHz, 468.962 MHz, 469.437 MHzGrant Date: 06/09/2003, Expiration Date: 06/09/2013, Cancellation Date: 10/19/2005, Certifier: Terry EstesRegistrant: Ekpc, 4775 Lexington Road, Winchester, KY 40392-0707, Phone: (859) 744-4812, Fax: (859) 744-6008, Email:
- Lat: 36.945000 Lon: -83.968611, Call Sign: WQBN528, Licensee ID: L00003833
Assigned Frequencies: 466.462 MHz, 466.687 MHz, 467.162 MHz, 467.400 MHz, 468.237 MHz, 468.512 MHz, 468.762 MHz, 468.962 MHz, 469.437 MHzGrant Date: 11/10/2004, Expiration Date: 11/10/2014, Cancellation Date: 10/24/2007, Certifier: Todd R EllisRegistrant: East Kentucky Power Cooperative, Inc., 4775 Lexington Rd, Winchester, KY 40392-0707, Phone: (859) 745-9391, Fax: (859) 744-6008, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Gray)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 16
- Good Intent Call: 4
Incident types - Gray
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (45%)
- Electricity (40%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Coal or coke (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
- Wood (2%)
Businesses in Gray, KY
- U-Haul: 1
Gray compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.