Green City, Missouri
Green City: Green City Depot Circa 1880
Green City: Green City R1 Elementary School
Green City: Green City R1 High School
Green City: Green City Water Tower
Green City: Welcome to Green City
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||48.0 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.1 years|
Zip codes: 63545.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $20,421 (it was $14,677 in 2000)
Green City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $58,336 (it was $42,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $70,616; Detached houses: $72,025; Mobile homes: $50,774
Median gross rent in 2013: $376.
Races in Green City, MO (2010)
- 59690.7%White alone
- 101.5%Two or more races
- 20.3%Black alone
- 20.3%American Indian alone
- 20.3%Asian alone
Latest news from Green City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (22.5%), Irish (20.5%), English (15.7%), United States (11.8%), Scotch-Irish (2.5%), French (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1880
Elevation: 1059 feet
Land area: 1.43 square miles.
Population density: 437 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Green City:
- High school or higher: 84.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Green City city:
- Never married: 20.6%
- Now married: 53.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 11.6%
- Divorced: 13.4%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Green City, Missouri as of December 03, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Green City to the number of sex offenders is 639 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $639 (0.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $621 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Columbia, MO (97.0 miles , pop. 84,531).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (118.5 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (295.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Greencastle, MO (2.0 miles ), Pollock, MO (3.1 miles) , Milan, MO (3.2 miles ), Novinger, MO (3.6 miles ), Unionville, MO (3.8 miles ), Winigan, MO (3.9 miles) , Worthington, MO (4.1 miles) , Browning, MO (4.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $129,600
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $149,000
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $152,800
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $168,100
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 40.27 N, Longitude: 92.95 W
Area code: 660
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (33%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Construction (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Retail trade (22%)
- Health care and social assistance (20%)
- Finance and insurance (12%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Production occupations (17%)
- Management occupations (14%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (7%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (32%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (23%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Transportation occupations (3%)
Average climate in Green City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Green City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 27% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/21/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.8 miles away from the Green City city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 1/24/1967, a category F4 tornado 24.2 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Green City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Missouri state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 298.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 288.2 miles away from Green City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 282.8 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 307.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 319.2 miles away from Green City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 299.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sullivan County (18) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 5, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Green City:
- SULLIVAN COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 10 miles away; MILAN, MO)
- MILAN COMMUNITY CARE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; MILAN, MO)
- PUTNAM COUNTY CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; UNIONVILLE, MO)
- PUTNAM COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 16 miles away; UNIONVILLE, MO)
airports located in Green City:
- Widmark Airport (MO83) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Green City:
- Truman State University (about 21 miles; Kirksville, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,553)
- Indian Hills Community College (about 62 miles; Ottumwa, IA; FT enrollment: 4,034)
- Moberly Area Community College (about 65 miles; Moberly, MO; FT enrollment: 3,977)
- Columbia College (about 97 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 13,975)
- University of Missouri-Columbia (about 98 miles; Columbia, MO; FT enrollment: 29,599)
- Drake University (about 100 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Southeastern Community College (about 102 miles; West Burlington, IA; FT enrollment: 2,251)
Public high school in Green City:
- GREEN CITY HIGH (Students: 173, Location: 301 N EAST ST, Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Green City:
- GREEN CITY ELEM. (Students: 156, Location: 301 N EAST ST, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Green City: Green City Rural Fire Department (A), Green City Fire Rescue (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Green City Large Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotels: Kaye Mart & Motel (314 West Highway 6), Green City Motel & Party Mart Motel (314 West Highway 6).
(12.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 58.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Banks with branches in Green City (2011 data):
- Farmers Bank of Green City: Farmers Bank Of Green City at 1 Lincoln Street, branch established on 1943/11/21. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $33.3 mil, Deposits: $25.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Green City Bancshares Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Green City city (based on Sullivan County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sullivan County:||4.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sullivan County:||6.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Green City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$1,892||$22,704||7||$561|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||2||$656|
|Police - Other||0||$0||1||$200|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,132||$25,584||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$2,055||$24,660||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||5||$10,364||$24,874||10||$1,417|
Green City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $100,000 ($160.00)
Fire Protection: $2,000 ($3.20)
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $357,000 ($571.20)
Regular Highways: $219,000 ($350.40)
Water Utilities: $193,000 ($308.80)
Solid Waste Management: $83,000 ($132.80)
Central Staff Services: $47,000 ($75.20)
Sewerage: $41,000 ($65.60)
Police Protection: $39,000 ($62.40)
Fire Protection: $5,000 ($8.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $132,000 ($211.20)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $45,000 ($72.00)
Green City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $54,000 ($86.40)
Sewerage: $34,000 ($54.40)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $17,000 ($27.20)
General Revenue, NEC: $10,000 ($16.00)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $317,000 ($507.20)
Water Utilities: $172,000 ($275.20)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $19,000 ($30.40)
General Support: $3,000 ($4.80)
- Tax - Property: $96,000 ($153.60)
Total General Sales: $25,000 ($40.00)
NEC: $3,000 ($4.80)
Tobacco Sales: $2,000 ($3.20)
Green City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $656,000 ($1049.60)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $576,000 ($921.60)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $80,000 ($128.00)
Green City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $254,000 ($406.40)
6.63% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,344 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Grundy County, MO||0.75% ($29,444 average AGI)|
|from Adair County, MO||0.70% ($31,882)|
|from Linn County, MO||0.46% ($24,455)|
7.86% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,547 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Green City:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WPSN (1590 AM; 3 kW; HONESDALE, PA; Owner: DE WIT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KIRX (1450 AM; 1 kW; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX,INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Green City:
- KLTE (107.9 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: BOTT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KHGN (90.7 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: CARE BROADCASTING, INC)
- KTUF (93.7 FM; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KIRX, INC.)
- KZBK (96.9 FM; BROOKFIELD, MO; Owner: BEST BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Green City:
- KTVO (Channel 3; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: KTVO LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, INC.)
- K34CW (Channel 34; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Owner: WAITT BROADCASTING, INC.)
Green City fatal accident list:
May 31, 1996 12:57 AM, 6, Vehicles: 3, Persons: 5, Fatalities: 1
Oct 25, 1978 04:25 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KE0FAH, Licensee ID: L01953130, Grant Date: 06/24/2015, Expiration Date: 06/24/2025, Certifier: Lon E Frost, Registrant: Lon E Frost, 17 N Green Box 202, Green City, MO 63545
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
|Most common first names in Green City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Green City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (44%)
- Electricity (42%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Wood (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Green City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.