Greenville: Public Library, November 2005
Greenville: Post Office Building detail
Greenville: Discover Greenville
Greenville: A pretty college town on a gray day.
Greenville: This clock is on one side of the courthouse, main square
Greenville: Go Comets is in the windows of the local stores for the local team
Greenville: The Bond County courthouse is in the center of the square
Greenville: Winter day at the maijn square.
Greenville: After a bit of winter snow, but the sun returns on the courthouse.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||30.8 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 62246.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $21,195 (it was $17,326 in 2000)
Greenville city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $95,917 (it was $66,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $630.
Races in Greenville, IL (2010)
- 5,41777.4%White alone
- 89512.8%Black alone
- 1432.0%Two or more races
- 480.7%American Indian alone
- 490.7%Asian alone
- 40.06%Other race alone
- 20.03%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Going to Chicago for the first time next week.What to see and of course where to eat? (22 replies)|
|Living in Chicago and Commuting to burbs....help me pick my poison (18 replies)|
|What's with all the toll roads in the Chicago area? (50 replies)|
|Pros and Cons of Springfield (8 replies)|
|Moving to Carbondale IL from SC (27 replies)|
|i57 from Chicago to Champaign (3 replies)|
Latest news from Greenville, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (25.8%), English (11.9%), French (10.5%), Irish (6.4%), United States (4.8%), Italian (2.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 11/11/1872
Elevation: 500 feet
Land area: 5.20 square miles.
Population density: 1,324 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Greenville:
- High school or higher: 86.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.1%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greenville city:
- Never married: 32.4%
- Now married: 48.2%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 9.6%
225 residents are foreign born (1.2% Latin America).
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 13 registered sex offenders living in Greenville, Illinois as of July 31, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Greenville to the number of sex offenders is 537 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $2,332 (2.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $2,039 (2.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Louis, MO (48.8 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (223.4 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Smithboro, IL (1.8 miles) , Mulberry Grove, IL (2.8 miles ), Pocahontas, IL (2.9 miles ), Old Ripley, IL (3.0 miles) , Donnellson, IL (3.2 miles ), Pierron, IL (3.4 miles ), Panama, IL (3.4 miles ), Sorento, IL (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $87,100
- 1998: 6 buildings, average cost: $104,600
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $85,700
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $92,000
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $91,900
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $107,000
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $149,400
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $119,400
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $149,700
- 2006: 12 buildings, average cost: $145,800
- 2007: 6 buildings, average cost: $148,200
- 2008: 9 buildings, average cost: $159,500
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $159,500
- 2010: 10 buildings, average cost: $159,500
- 2011: 9 buildings, average cost: $159,500
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $238,500
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $720,000
- 2014: 3 buildings, average cost: $295,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 38.89 N, Longitude: 89.40 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,641 (+23.8%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,611 (60.3%)
Area code: 618
|Crime rates in Greenville by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 291.8)||110.1||108.4||140.7||125.3||118.8||122.4||124.6||106.7||88.6||89.5||89.2||100.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Greenville detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.29|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +1,663 (+31.4%).
- Educational services (23%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Retail trade (16%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Wholesale trade (7%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Information (5%)
- Production occupations (16%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Community and social service occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (6%)
- Fire fighting and prevention, and other protective service workers including supervisors (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Sales and related occupations (16%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (10%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
Average climate in Greenville, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Greenville-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 84% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/24/1956, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.7 miles away from the Greenville city center killed 6 people and injured 36 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 12/2/1950, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 1.5 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 25 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Greenville-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 87.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 81.9 miles away from Greenville center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 107.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 119.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 88.8 miles away from Greenville center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 73.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bond County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Job Adams Cooper - Union Army soldier, Tom Merritt - Podcaster, Clint Tracy - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Greenville:
Airports and heliports located in Greenville:
- Greenville Airport (GRE) (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 2,000, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 20,000, Military Ops: 1,000)
- Greenville Regional Hospital Heliport (59IS)
College/University in Greenville:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greenville:
- Kaskaskia College (about 26 miles; Centralia, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,867)
- McKendree University (about 30 miles; Lebanon, IL; FT enrollment: 2,564)
- Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville (about 33 miles; Edwardsville, IL; FT enrollment: 11,933)
- Southwestern Illinois College (about 39 miles; Belleville, IL; FT enrollment: 9,085)
- Lewis and Clark Community College (about 43 miles; Godfrey, IL; FT enrollment: 4,189)
- Saint Louis Community College (about 47 miles; Saint Louis, MO; FT enrollment: 18,019)
- Saint Louis University (about 49 miles; Saint Louis, MO; FT enrollment: 11,606)
Public high school in Greenville:
- BOND CTY COMM UNIT 2 HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 564, Location: 1000 E STATE ROUTE 140, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Greenville:
Notable locations in Greenville: Bond County Courthouse (A), Bond County Emergency Medical Services (B), Greenville Fire Protection District (C), Bond County Jail (D), Greenville City Hall (E), Greenville Public Library (F), Hogue Hall (G), Janssen Hall (H), Memorial Library (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Greenville include: First Presbyterian Church (A), Grace Episcopal Church (B), Plymouth Church (C), Wilkerson Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (D), Faith Chapel (E), Fellowship Baptist Church (F), First Baptist Church (G), First United Methodist Church (H), Free Methodist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Montrose Cemetery (1), Halls Grove Cemetery (2), Old City Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Greenville include: Jaycee Park (1), Bond County Fairground (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Simple Room (Recreation Areas; 405 Franklin Ave).
Hotels: 2 Acres Motel (1505 South State Route 127), Budget Host Inn (1525 East Bowman Drive).
(15.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 11.8% for Black residents, 41.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 8.1% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
People in group quarters in Greenville in 2010:
- 1,536 people in federal prisons
- 356 people in college/university student housing
- 138 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 24 people in group homes intended for adults
- 6 people in federal detention centers
People in group quarters in Greenville in 2000:
- 1,611 people in federal prisons and detention centers
- 610 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 96 people in nursing homes
- 21 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 13 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Banks with branches in Greenville (2011 data):
- The Bradford National Bank of Greenville: The Bradford Lane Branch at 600 South Idler Lane, branch established on 1989/08/07; The Bradford National Bank Of Greenv at 100 East College Avenue, branch established on 1867/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $225.1 mil, Deposits: $197.4 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Bradford Bancorp, Inc.
- Midland States Bank: Greenville Branch at 318 West College, branch established on 1894/01/01. Info updated 2010/10/19: Bank assets: $1,510.0 mil, Deposits: $1,222.1 mil, headquarters in Effingham, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 32 total offices, Holding Company: Midland States Bancorp, Inc.
- National Bank: Greenville Branch at 605 South Third Street, branch established on 1995/12/30. Info updated 2011/05/11: Bank assets: $310.4 mil, Deposits: $281.3 mil, headquarters in Hillsboro, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 12 total offices, Holding Company: Country Bancorp, Inc.
- The First National Bank: Greenville Branch at 1310 East City Route 40, branch established on 1992/05/26. Info updated 2008/09/30: Bank assets: $275.0 mil, Deposits: $241.0 mil, headquarters in Vandalia, IL, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: First Vandalia Corp.
- First Bank: Greenville Branch at 200 West Main Avenue, branch established on 1869/01/01. Info updated 2007/12/04: Bank assets: $6,579.8 mil, Deposits: $5,800.6 mil, headquarters in Creve Coeur, MO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 148 total offices, Holding Company: First Banks, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Greenville city (based on Bond County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bond County:||2.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bond County:||5.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Greenville, IL Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$14,398||$57,592||5||$934|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$43,040||$51,648||2||$2,214|
|Police - Other||4||$11,420||$34,260||7||$4,201|
|Streets and Highways||9||$28,381||$37,841||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$3,221||$38,652||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||45||$163,340||$43,557||20||$9,891|
Greenville government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $993,000 ($144.23)
Police Protection: $881,000 ($127.96)
Regular Highways: $847,000 ($123.02)
Central Staff Services: $560,000 ($81.34)
General - Other: $537,000 ($78.00)
Sewerage: $507,000 ($73.64)
Libraries: $152,000 ($22.08)
Solid Waste Management: $21,000 ($3.05)
Parks and Recreation: $20,000 ($2.90)
- General - Interest on Debt: $234,000 ($33.99)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $624,000 ($90.63)
Sewerage: $212,000 ($30.79)
Central Staff Services: $176,000 ($25.56)
Libraries: $21,000 ($3.05)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $1,690,000 ($245.46)
Greenville government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $807,000 ($117.21)
All Other: $32,000 ($4.65)
Parks and Recreation: $5,000 ($0.73)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $214,000 ($31.08)
Interest Earnings: $187,000 ($27.16)
Fines and Forfeits: $53,000 ($7.70)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $1,440,000 ($209.15)
- State Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $1,891,000 ($274.66)
Highways: $207,000 ($30.07)
All Other: $92,000 ($13.36)
- Tax - Property: $460,000 ($66.81)
Other Selective Sales: $163,000 ($23.67)
Other License: $86,000 ($12.49)
Greenville government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $5,390,000 ($782.86)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $5,020,000 ($729.12)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $370,000 ($53.74)
Greenville government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $5,032,000 ($730.86)
5.95% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,932 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Madison County, IL||1.63% ($32,600 average AGI)|
|from Clinton County, IL||0.52% ($34,688)|
|from Montgomery County, IL||0.44% ($33,667)|
6.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($24,249 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Greenville:
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WCBW (880 AM; 2 kW; HIGHLAND, IL; Owner: NEW LIFE EVANGELISTIC CENTER, INC.)
- KRFT (1190 AM; 10 kW; DE SOTO, MO; Owner: ALL SPORTS RADIO, LLC)
- KTRS (550 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: KTRS-AM LICENSE, L.L.C.)
- KJSL (630 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: WMUZ RADIO, INC.)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WDID (1510 AM; daytime; 1 kW; HIGHLAND, IL; Owner: NEW LIFE EVANGELISTIC CENTER, INC.)
- KFUO (850 AM; 5 kW; CLAYTON, MO; Owner: LUTHERAN CHURCH-MISSOURI SYNOD)
- KATZ (1600 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Greenville:
- WGRN (89.5 FM; GREENVILLE, IL; Owner: GREENVILLE COL. ED. B/CG. FOUN., INC)
- WGEL (101.7 FM; GREENVILLE, IL; Owner: BOND BROADCASTING INC.)
- WSIE (88.7 FM; EDWARDSVILLE, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES, S. ILLINOIS UNIV.)
- WDLJ (97.5 FM; BREESE, IL; Owner: KM RADIO OF BREESE, L.L.C.)
- WTRH (93.3 FM; RAMSEY, IL; Owner: COUNTRYSIDE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJLY (88.3 FM; RAMSEY, IL; Owner: COUNTRYSIDE BROADCASTING)
- WCXO (96.7 FM; CARLYLE, IL; Owner: CLINTON COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSMI-FM (106.1 FM; LITCHFIELD, IL; Owner: TALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAOX (105.3 FM; STAUNTON, IL; Owner: TALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKRV (107.1 FM; VANDALIA, IL; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY, INC.)
- WVNL (91.7 FM; VANDALIA, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Greenville:
- WPXS (Channel 13; MT. VERNON, IL; Owner: EBC ST. LOUIS, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
Greenville fatal accident list:
Nov 16, 2000 08:40 AM, I-70, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Dec 10, 1987 03:05 PM, 40, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 20m66ftTotal length
- 39,550Total average daily traffic
- 9,983Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 75 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Greenville, IL)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 139 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Greenville)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 22 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Greenville)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 58
- Hazardous Condition: 29
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Greenville
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Greenville, Illinois:
- Super 8 Motel, 1700 S State Rt 127, Greenville, Illinois 62246 , Phone: (618) 664-0800, Fax: (618) 664-0845
- Budget Host Inn, 1525 S State Rt 127, Greenville, Illinois 62246 , Phone: (618) 664-1950, Fax: (618) 664-1960
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites, 1731 S State Rt 127, Greenville, Illinois 62246 , Phone: (618) 664-3030, Fax: (618) 664-1591
- Sleep Inn & Suites, 2265 Il Rt 127, Greenville, Illinois 62246 , Phone: (618) 664-9700, Fax: (618) 664-2921
|Most common first names in Greenville, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Greenville, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (74%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
|Businesses in Greenville, IL|
|Alco Stores||1||MasterBrand Cabinets||4|
|Dairy Queen||1||Sleep Inn||1|
|Econo Lodge||1||Super 8||1|
|H&R Block||1||True Value||1|
|Jones New York||1||U-Haul||1|
Greenville compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Greenville on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Community and social service occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in federal prisons and detention centers (population 1,000+)"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: Wholesale trade (population 5,000+)"
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Bangladesh (population 500+)"
- #89 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Education, training, and library occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #101 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: Educational services (population 5,000+)"
- #45 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
Total of 22 patent applications in 2008-2016.