|Median resident age:||45.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 13312.
Greig town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $111,552 (it was $70,900 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,181 (98.5%)
- Asian alone - 8 (0.7%)
- Two or more races - 6 (0.5%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.2%)
- Hispanic - 2 (0.2%)
Latest news from Greig, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (19.0%), German (15.4%), French (14.6%), United States (12.9%), English (10.3%), Hungarian (7.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 92.9 square miles.
Population density: 13 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Greig:
- High school or higher: 80.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.5%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greig town:
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 60.0%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 8.3%
11 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Greig town:||1.9% ($1,366)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Utica, NY (41.7 miles , pop. 60,651).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (121.2 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (210.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Lyons Falls, NY (2.5 miles ), Lyonsdale, NY (2.6 miles ), Turin, NY (2.6 miles ), Watson, NY (2.7 miles ), Port Leyden, NY (2.8 miles ), Martinsburg, NY (3.0 miles ), Leyden, NY (3.3 miles ), Lowville, NY (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2011: 8 buildings, average cost: $93,800
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.70 N, Longitude: 75.31 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 315
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Construction (11%)
- Paper (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (6%)
- Health care (24%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (3%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (3%)
Average climate in Greig, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Greig-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 51.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 96.2 miles away from Greig center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 186.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 55.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 80.5 miles away from Greig center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 300.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lewis County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 8
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 4, Floods: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Snows: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Caleb Lyon - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Greig:
- LEWIS COUNTY PUB HEALTH CHHA (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; LOWVILLE, NY)
- LEWIS COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; LOWVILLE, NY)
- LEWIS COUNTY HOSPICE (Hospital, about 12 miles away; LOWVILLE, NY)
- SUNSET NURSING HOME INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BOONVILLE, NY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greig:
- Jefferson Community College (about 38 miles; Watertown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,886)
- Utica College (about 42 miles; Utica, NY; FT enrollment: 2,952)
- Mohawk Valley Community College (about 44 miles; Utica, NY; FT enrollment: 5,693)
- Herkimer County Community College (about 49 miles; Herkimer, NY; FT enrollment: 2,774)
- Morrisville State College (about 58 miles; Morrisville, NY; FT enrollment: 2,823)
- Le Moyne College (about 60 miles; Syracuse, NY; FT enrollment: 3,041)
- Syracuse University (about 62 miles; Syracuse, NY; FT enrollment: 20,717)
Churches in Greig include: Saint Thomas Church (A), Calvary Bible Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Brantingham Cemetery (1), Sands Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Little Otter Lake (A), Little Pine Lake (B), Lost Lake (C), Mudhole Pond (D), Pine Lake (E), Pleasant Lake (F), Sand Pond (G), West Pine Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Otter Creek (A), Yellow Creek (B), Emerson Creek (C), Fish Creek (D), Drunkard Creek (E), Tommy Roaring Creek (F), Crooked Creek (G), Middle Branch Pine Creek (H), Little Pine Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Greig: Singing Waters Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 58.1. This is better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.646. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 27.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 10.9. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Greig compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (55%)
- Wood (23%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (17%)
- Electricity (3%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Greig town (based on Lewis County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 64.66%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Conservative Mennonite Conference||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Mennonite Church USA|
|Name||Episcopal Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||The Wesleyan Church||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lewis County:||3.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lewis County:||4.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.78% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,614 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jefferson County, NY||1.24% ($32,870 average AGI)|
|from Oneida County, NY||0.58% ($31,509)|
|from St. Lawrence County, NY||0.25% ($37,240)|
5.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,656 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
0.10% of residents moved to foreign countries ($587 average AGI)
Lewis County: 0.10% New York average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Greig:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBRV (900 AM; 1 kW; BOONVILLE, NY)
- WADR (1480 AM; 5 kW; REMSEN, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WRUN (1150 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY)
- WNER (1410 AM; 5 kW; WATERTOWN, NY)
- WIBX (950 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHEN (620 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTLB (1310 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY; Owner: GALAXY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Greig:
- WLLG (99.3 FM; LOWVILLE, NY; Owner: THE FLACK BROADCASTING GROUP L.L.C.)
- WBDI (106.7 FM; COPENHAGEN, NY; Owner: FORCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WJNY (90.9 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: PUBLIC B/CNG COUNCIL CENTRAL NY, INC)
- WUCL (93.5 FM; REMSEN, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WXLH (91.3 FM; BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WFRY-FM (97.5 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF WATERTOWN, INC.)
- WBRV-FM (101.3 FM; BOONVILLE, NY; Owner: THE FLACK BROADCASTING GROUP L.L.C.)
- WTOJ (103.1 FM; CARTHAGE, NY; Owner: CLANCY-MANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRGR (102.3 FM; TUPPER LAKE, NY; Owner: RADIO LAKE PLACID, INC.)
- WWJS (90.1 FM; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: LIBERTY COMMUNICATIONS FAMILY B/G)
- WOUR (96.9 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WUNY (89.5 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: PUBLIC BC COUNCIL OF CENTRAL NY, INC)
- WODZ-FM (96.1 FM; ROME, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- W206BH (89.1 FM; LYONS FALLS, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- W213AR (90.5 FM; LYONS FALLS, NY; Owner: BLACK RIVER VALLEY GOSPEL RADIO, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Greig:
- WWTI (Channel 50; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: CENTRAL NY NEWS, INC.)
- WPBS-TV (Channel 16; WATERTOWN, NY; Owner: ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY EDUCATIONAL TV COUNCIL, INC)
- WWNY-TV (Channel 7; CARTHAGE, NY; Owner: UNITED COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WSPX-TV (Channel 56; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: PAXSON SYRACUSE LICENSE, INC.)
Greig fatal accident list:
Jun 16, 2001 03:58 PM, Cr-42, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Dec 29, 2001 04:40 PM, Cr-39, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Nov 16, 1997 12:49 AM, Middle, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Oct 26, 1997 02:25 AM, Partridgev, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Dec 14, 1997 00:15 AM, Cr-8b, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 28 meters (92ft)
Total costs: $20,659,000
Total average daily traffic: 4,439
Total average daily truck traffic: 370
Total future (year 2017) average daily traffic: 6,115
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1920-1929: 1
- 1930-1939: 0
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 1
- 1960-1969: 2
- 1970-1979: 3
- 1980-1989: 2
- 1990-1999: 0
- 2000-2009: 1
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- Brantingham Rd 2 Mi E Of Greig Rd (Lat: 43.698111 Lon: -75.324611), Overall height: 30.8 m, Call Sign: WNTW730
Assigned Frequencies: 19137.5 MHz, 19157.5 MHz
Grant Date: 02/16/1995, Expiration Date: 02/16/2000, Cancellation Date: 05/21/2000
Registrant: Phone: (716) 822-3692
- BRANTINGHAM, Brantingham Rd 2 Mi E Of Greig Rd (Lat: 43.698139 Lon: -75.324611), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.8 m, Call Sign: WPYE232
Assigned Frequencies: 19137.5 MHz, 19157.5 MHz
Grant Date: 07/25/2003, Expiration Date: 07/25/2013, Certifier: John J Mckeown
Registrant: Comsearch, 19700 Janelia Farm Boulevard, Ashburn, VA 20147, Phone: (703) 726-5671, Fax: (703) 726-5594, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 2