Hamden, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||47.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 13782.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $27,993 (it was $19,754 in 2000)
Hamden town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $142,618 (it was $77,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $201,811; Detached houses: $197,829; Townhouses or other attached units: $172,267; In 2-unit structures: $205,145; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $487,340; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $172,519; Mobile homes: $70,975
Races in Hamden, NY (2010)
- 1,25194.6%White alone
- 100.8%Two or more races
- 60.5%American Indian alone
- 50.4%Black alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
|within 140 miles of the city... (24 replies)|
|Normal nice towns in upstate NY? (8 replies)|
|Family with 6 year old needing information on Delaware County (Meredith, Delhi, Margaretville) (5 replies)|
|Understanding of Hurricanes (53 replies)|
|This is why you should heed warnings and actually prepare yourself (42 replies)|
|Acceptance of other races in Wantagh (101 replies)|
Latest news from Hamden, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (22.6%), English (16.6%), German (16.6%), Italian (10.9%), Scottish (8.5%), United States (8.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 59.8 square miles.
Population density: 22 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hamden:
- High school or higher: 78.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hamden town:
- Never married: 22.3%
- Now married: 58.2%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 8.7%
36 residents are foreign born (2.2% Europe, 0.5% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hamden town:||1.5% ($1,191)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Union, NY (52.6 miles , pop. 56,298).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Newark, NJ (111.0 miles , pop. 273,546).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (111.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Delhi, NY (2.5 miles ), Walton, NY (2.7 miles ), Downsville, NY (3.1 miles ), Meredith, NY (3.4 miles ), Andes, NY (3.4 miles ), Bovina, NY (3.4 miles ), Franklin, NY (3.4 miles ), Bloomville, NY (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $79,300
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $78,000
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $123,600
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $94,400
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $153,400
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $102,200
- 2003: 7 buildings, average cost: $159,400
- 2004: 10 buildings, average cost: $215,900
- 2005: 8 buildings, average cost: $153,100
- 2006: 8 buildings, average cost: $120,000
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $161,000
- 2008: 7 buildings, average cost: $160,700
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $140,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 2014: 6 buildings, average cost: $166,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.22 N, Longitude: 75.00 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 607
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (15%)
- Construction (13%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Health care (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Health care (21%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (11%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Hamden, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hamden-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 60% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.5 miles away from the Hamden town center injured 12 people and caused $3 million in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 22.2 miles away from the town center injured 3 people and caused $800,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hamden-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 124.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 169.8 miles away from Hamden center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 33.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 141.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 282.2 miles away from Hamden center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 194.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Delaware County (33) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 23
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 16, Storms: 14, Hurricanes: 4, Blizzards: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Water Shortage: 1, Wind: 1, Other: 2 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hamden:
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi (about 6 miles; Delhi, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,911)
- SUNY Oneonta (about 18 miles; Oneonta, NY; FT enrollment: 6,081)
- SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill (about 40 miles; Cobleskill, NY; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- SUNY Broome Community College (about 47 miles; Binghamton, NY; FT enrollment: 4,969)
- Colgate University (about 50 miles; Hamilton, NY; FT enrollment: 3,094)
- SUNY at Binghamton (about 51 miles; Vestal, NY; FT enrollment: 15,096)
- Ulster County Community College (about 52 miles; Stone Ridge, NY; FT enrollment: 2,207)
Notable locations in Hamden: Rocking L Ranch (A), Lucky Dog Farm (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Hamden: Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Feak Hollow Cemetery (1), Feak Hollow-Jamieson Cemetery (2), Archer Cemetery (3), Hamden Cemetery (4), Bostwick Cemetery (5), Goldsmith Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Crystal Brook (A), Bagley Brook (B), Mallory Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
2 people in other noninstitutional facilities in 2010
6 people in other group homes in 2000
2 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Banks with branches in Hamden (2011 data):
- The National Bank of Delaware County: Hamden Branch at 35861 State Route 10, branch established on 1921/01/01. Info updated 2007/11/19: Bank assets: $258.2 mil, Deposits: $218.0 mil, headquarters in Walton, NY, positive income, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Delaware Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hamden town (based on Delaware County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Delaware County:||3.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Delaware County:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Delaware County:||7.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.84% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,910 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Otsego County, NY||0.88% ($31,302 average AGI)|
|from Chenango County, NY||0.42% ($22,930)|
|from Broome County, NY||0.29% ($32,040)|
5.40% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,734 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hamden:
- WDLA (1270 AM; 5 kW; WALTON, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDOS (730 AM; 1 kW; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: ULTIMATE B/CASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WEPN (1050 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: NEW YORK AM RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hamden:
- WDLA-FM (92.1 FM; WALTON, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WDHI (100.3 FM; DELHI, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WGKR (105.3 FM; GRAND GORGE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WSQC-FM (91.7 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMM. COUNCIL)
- WSRK (103.9 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: ULTIMATE B/CASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WCDO-FM (100.9 FM; SIDNEY, NY; Owner: CDO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZOZ (103.1 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC)
- WFKP (99.3 FM; ELLENVILLE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WBKT (95.3 FM; NORWICH, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC)
- WRIP (97.9 FM; WINDHAM, NY; Owner: RIP RADIO, LLC)
- WIYN (94.7 FM; DEPOSIT, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WHWK (98.1 FM; BINGHAMTON, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WJFF (90.5 FM; JEFFERSONVILLE, NY; Owner: RADIO CATSKILL)
- WKXZ (93.9 FM; NORWICH, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC)
- WPDA (106.1 FM; JEFFERSONVILLE, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGWR (88.1 FM; LIBERTY, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Hamden:
- WISF-LP (Channel 15; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: RASTUS BROADCAST)
- Hamden, New York
- Fatal accident count9
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents12
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:2
- Persons involved in fatal accidents22
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents4
- New York average
- Fatal accident count153
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents215
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons32
- Persons involved in fatal accidents400
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents33
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 22m72ftTotal length
- $5,540,000Total costs
- 3,577Total average daily traffic
- 211Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,663Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Gregory Hollow Rd 4 Mi Sw (Lat: 42.180083 Lon: -74.968778), Call Sign: KYU701
Assigned Frequencies: 152.007 MHz, 155.205 MHz, 155.340 MHz, 155.400 MHzGrant Date: 10/13/1998, Expiration Date: 09/29/2003, Cancellation Date: 11/30/2003Registrant: O Conner Hospital, Andes Rd, Delhi, NY 13753, Phone: (607) 746-2371
- Rt 10 Hawley Station (Lat: 42.180639 Lon: -75.013778), Call Sign: KUE234
Assigned Frequencies: 48.0200 MHz, 48.3200 MHzGrant Date: 05/26/2012, Expiration Date: 07/24/2022Registrant: Utilities Telecom Council, Inc., 1129 20th Street, Nw Suite 350, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (203) 833-6818, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KJ2F, Licensee ID: L00197158, Grant Date: 05/07/2015, Expiration Date: 07/21/2025, Certifier: Albert H Heusmann, Registrant: Albert H Heusmann, 571 Curtis Lane, Hamden, NY 13782
- Call Sign: K2JLH, Previous Call Sign: N3ECO, Licensee ID: L00197161, Grant Date: 03/16/2013, Expiration Date: 04/11/2023, Certifier: Judith L Heusmann, Registrant: Judith L Heusmann, 571 Curtis Lane, Hamden, NY 13782
- Call Sign: KC2SBA, Licensee ID: L01313623, Grant Date: 08/13/2007, Expiration Date: 08/13/2017, Certifier: Albert H Heusmann, Registrant: Delaware County Amateur Radio Association, 571 Curtis Lane, Hamden, NY 13782
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hamden and their reported violations in the past:ROADHOUSE INN (Address: 34675 STATE HWY 10 , Population served: 50, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 5 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
|Most common first names in Hamden, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hamden, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (59%)
- Wood (16%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (9%)
- Other fuel (3%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Hamden compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2017.