We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||40.5 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54669.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $26,515 (it was $20,142 in 2000)
Hamilton town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $213,289 (it was $129,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $174,066; Detached houses: $184,916; Townhouses or other attached units: $167,243; In 2-unit structures: $163,557; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $107,616; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $219,645; Mobile homes: $17,440
Races in Hamilton, WI (2010)
- 2,38697.9%White alone
- 220.9%Asian alone
- 90.4%Two or more races
- 80.3%Black alone
- 10.04%American Indian alone
- 10.04%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Another look at gender equality in the U.S. Oct 27
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- The fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
|Ex-Olympian and Badger alumna Suzy Favor Hamilton worked as an escort (13 replies)|
|Future of the Milwaukee Suburbs (56 replies)|
|Protests on our interstates (41 replies)|
|Schools and Neighborhoods (6 replies)|
|Favorite big midwestern city Chicago,Detroit,Indianapolis, etc.. (35 replies)|
|Moving from Omaha to Madison (5 replies)|
Latest news from Hamilton, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (48.5%), Norwegian (28.7%), Irish (9.6%), English (5.8%), United States (4.1%), Polish (3.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 50.1 square miles.
Population density: 49 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hamilton:
- High school or higher: 91.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.3%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hamilton town:
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 75.0%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 2.2%
- Divorced: 3.4%
30 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hamilton town:||1.5% ($1,902)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: La Crosse, WI (9.7 miles , pop. 51,818).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (103.2 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (224.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: West Salem, WI (1.0 miles ), Barre, WI (2.3 miles ), Bangor, WI (2.3 miles ), Medary, WI (2.4 miles ), Onalaska, WI (2.5 miles ), Burns, WI (2.6 miles ), Holmen, WI (2.9 miles ), Rockland, WI (3.0 miles ).
Latitude: 43.91 N, Longitude: 91.10 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 608
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Machinery (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Health care (15%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Food (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Top executives (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Business operations specialists (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Hamilton, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hamilton-area historical tornado activity is near Wisconsin state average. It is 15% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/5/1965, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.1 miles away from the Hamilton town center injured 7 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/26/1959, a category F3 tornado 17.2 miles away from the town center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hamilton-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 271.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 203.1 miles away from Hamilton center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 412.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 389.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 173.5 miles away from Hamilton center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 282.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in La Crosse County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Hamilton:
- MULDER HEALTH CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; WEST SALEM, WI)
- LAKEVIEW HEALTH CENTER (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; WEST SALEM, WI)
- GUNDERSEN LUTHERAN RENAL DIALYSIS - ONALASKA (Dialysis Facility, about 5 miles away; ONALASKA, WI)
- MAYO DIALYSIS - LA CROSSE (Dialysis Facility, about 6 miles away; ONALASKA, WI)
- ONALASKA CARE CTR (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; ONALASKA, WI)
- LUTHERAN HOSPITAL-LA CROSSE HHA (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; LA CROSSE, WI)
- GUNDERSEN LUTHERAN HOSPICE PROG 528 (Hospital, about 10 miles away; LA CROSSE, WI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hamilton:
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (about 10 miles; La Crosse, WI; Full-time enrollment: 9,837)
- Western Technical College (about 11 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 3,377)
- Viterbo University (about 11 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 2,848)
- Winona State University (about 29 miles; Winona, MN; FT enrollment: 8,397)
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota (about 32 miles; Winona, MN; FT enrollment: 4,022)
- Luther College (about 55 miles; Decorah, IA; FT enrollment: 2,700)
- Northeast Iowa Community College-Calmar (about 64 miles; Calmar, IA; FT enrollment: 3,365)
Notable locations in Hamilton: Maple Grove Country Club (A), West Salem Wastewater Treatment Facility (B), West Salem Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hamilton include: Christ Lutheran Church (A), Our Saviours Lutheran Church (B), Saint Leo the Great Church (C), West Salem Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Neshonoc Cemetery (1), Hamilton Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Neshonoc Lake (A), Neshonoc Lake 390 (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Bostwick Creek (A), Neshonoc Creek (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Hamilton: Swarthout Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 58.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 32.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.28. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
198 people in nursing homes in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hamilton town (based on La Crosse County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|La Crosse County:||1.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|La Crosse County:||3.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|La Crosse County:||26.1%|
5.46% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,700 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($123 average AGI)
La Crosse County: 0.03% Wisconsin average: 0.02%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Monroe County, WI||0.52% ($30,172 average AGI)|
|from Vernon County, WI||0.32% ($28,178)|
|from Houston County, MN||0.30% ($31,343)|
5.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,294 average adjusted gross income)
0.02% of residents moved to foreign countries ($128 average AGI)
La Crosse County: 0.02% Wisconsin average: 0.03%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hamilton:
- WIZM (1410 AM; 5 kW; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WKTY (580 AM; 5 kW; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WKLJ (1290 AM; 5 kW; SPARTA, WI; Owner: SPARTA-TOMAH BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKBH (1570 AM; 1 kW; HOLMEN, WI)
- WLFN (1490 AM; 1 kW; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- KAGE (1380 AM; 4 kW; WINONA, MN; Owner: KAGE, INC.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hamilton:
- WIZM-FM (93.3 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- K220EP (91.9 FM; LA CRESCENT, MN; Owner: FAITH SOUND, INC.)
- WKBH-FM (100.1 FM; WEST SALEM, WI; Owner: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- WQCC (106.3 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- WHLA (90.3 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WLSU (88.9 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: BD.OF REGENTS, UNIV.OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM)
- KQEG (102.7 FM; LA CRESCENT, MN; Owner: WHITE EAGLE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXLC (91.1 FM; LA CRESCENT, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCOW-FM (97.1 FM; SPARTA, WI; Owner: SPARTA-TOMAH BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WLXR-FM (104.9 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY B/CASTERS, L.L.C.)
- WFBZ (105.5 FM; TREMPEALEAU, WI; Owner: S & S BROADCASTING)
- K270AG (101.9 FM; LA CRESCENT, MN; Owner: S & S BROADCASTING)
- K222AG (92.3 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: RAY A. KNUDSON)
- KHME (101.1 FM; WINONA, MN; Owner: KAGE, INC.)
- WVCX (98.9 FM; TOMAH, WI; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- WAXX (104.5 FM; EAU CLAIRE, WI; Owner: MAVERICK MEDIA OF EAU CLAIRE LICENSE LLC)
- WRQT (95.7 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- KCLH (94.7 FM; CALEDONIA, MN; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- KQAL (89.5 FM; WINONA, MN; Owner: WINONA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WXYM (96.1 FM; TOMAH, WI; Owner: MAGNUM RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Hamilton:
- WKBT (Channel 8; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: QUEENB TELEVISION, LLC)
- WXOW-TV (Channel 19; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: WXOW-WQOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WDLS-LP (Channel 35; TOMAH, WI; Owner: MAGNUM RADIO, INC.)
- WLAX (Channel 25; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: GRANT MEDIA, INC.)
- WHLA-TV (Channel 31; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: WISCONSIN EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- KQEG-CA (Channel 50; La CRESCENT, MN; Owner: WHITE EAGLE PARTNERSHIP)
- W44BF (Channel 44; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: TV-45, INC.)
- WEAU-TV (Channel 13; EAU CLAIRE, WI; Owner: WEAU LICENSEE CORP.)
- K62EV (Channel 62; WINONA, MN; Owner: KTTC TELEVISION, INC.)
- W67CH (Channel 67; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: KTTC TELEVISION, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 36Number of bridges
- 140m459ftTotal length
- $2,514,000Total costs
- 181,220Total average daily traffic
- 20,367Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (37%)
- Utility gas (34%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (16%)
- Wood (10%)
- Electricity (3%)
Hamilton compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.