|Median resident age:||40.8 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12837.
Hampton town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $133,798 (it was $75,400 in 2000)
- White alone - 912 (97.2%)
- Hispanic - 13 (1.4%)
- Two or more races - 9 (1.0%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.2%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
|Honeymoon in the Hamptons (38 replies)|
|One night in the hamptons.... (59 replies)|
|Affordable options for summer weekend stays in The Hamptons? (10 replies)|
|Please Help! Question about S92/Hampton Jitney and Suffolk County (2 replies)|
|Hampton Court (0 replies)|
|Pecking order of Hampton towns and villages? (51 replies)|
Latest news from Hampton, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (19.7%), French (14.2%), Irish (9.6%), English (7.9%), French Canadian (7.0%), German (6.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 431 feet
Land area: 22.6 square miles.
Population density: 42 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hampton:
- High school or higher: 82.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hampton town:
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 11.6%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of New York and other state lists there were 6 registered sex offenders living in Hampton, New York as of March 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hampton to the number of sex offenders is 147 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hampton town:||2.2% ($1,640)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (60.9 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (140.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (189.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Fair Haven, VT (1.8 miles ), Poultney, VT (1.9 miles ), Whitehall, NY (2.4 miles ), Castleton, VT (2.7 miles ), West Haven, VT (2.7 miles ), Wells, VT (3.1 miles ), Middletown Springs, VT (3.1 miles ), Granville, NY (3.2 miles ).
Latitude: 43.55 N, Longitude: 73.29 W
Area code: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (5%)
- Transportation equipment (5%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (16%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Food (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Extraction workers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
Average climate in Hampton, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hampton-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New York state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 39.9 miles away from the Hampton town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 43.4 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hampton-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 59.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 68.1 miles away from Hampton center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 84.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 67.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 55.5 miles away from Hampton center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 94.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Howard Dean - Chairman of the Democratic National Committee, James Rood Doolittle - Lawyer and politician, David Gardiner Tyler - Confederate Army soldier, Edna F. Kelly - Politician, Charnele Brown - Actor, Edward Beecher - Abolitionist, Henry Davis (clergyman) - Christian cleric.
Hospitals and medical centers near Hampton:
- SAGER NURSING HOME, INC. (Nursing Home, about 3 miles away; FAIR HAVEN, VT)
- EMMA LAING STEVENS HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 10 miles away; GRANVILLE, NY)
- INDIAN RIVER REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; GRANVILLE, NY)
- VERMONT ACHIEVEMENT CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
Amtrak stations near Hampton:
- 4 miles: FAIR HAVEN (DEPOT & WATER STS.)
- 6 miles: WHITEHALL (MAIN ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 16 miles: RUTLAND (MERCHANTS ROW) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hampton:
- Castleton State College (about 7 miles; Castleton, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,079)
- Adirondack Community College (about 23 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Middlebury College (about 33 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Skidmore College (about 41 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 41 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Dartmouth College (about 52 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Norwich University (about 52 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
Notable locations in Hampton: Hampton Flats (A), Green Hill Organic Orchard (B), Yorkmont Farm (C), Fairview Orchard (D), Hampton Volunteer Fire Company (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Hampton: William Miller Chapel (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Miller Cemetery (1), Warren Cemetery (2), Hampton Flats Cemetery (3), Hooker Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Melvin Pond (A), Crystal Lake (B), Hills Pond (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 49.1. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.431. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 7.45. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 1.62. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 12.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.97. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
6 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Hampton compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (69%)
- Wood (13%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Electricity (8%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hampton town (based on Washington County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.97%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Assemblies of God||The Wesleyan Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Reformed Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||1.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||4.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,003 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Warren County, NY||1.91% ($26,057 average AGI)|
|from Saratoga County, NY||1.42% ($33,385)|
|from Rutland County, VT||0.25% ($27,850)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,699 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hampton:
- WVNR (1340 AM; 1 kW; POULTNEY, VT; Owner: PINE TREE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSYB (1380 AM; 5 kW; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hampton:
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WEXP (101.5 FM; BRANDON, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C.)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WLJH (90.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE INC)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WNYV (94.1 FM; WHITEHALL, NY; Owner: PINE TREE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Hampton:
- WVER (Channel 28; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- W61CE (Channel 61; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MARGARET SANGUINETTI (ADMINISTRATRIX OF THE ESTATE))
- W07AG (Channel 7; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: WNYT INC.)
- W69AR (Channel 69; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MT. MANSFIELD TELEVISION, INC.)
Hampton fatal accident list:
Dec 18, 2009 12:30 AM, Hickey Rd, Lat: 43.53209, Lon: -73.28756, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Jul 18, 2003 10:35 AM, Manchester Rd, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Nov 21, 2001 00:30 AM, Sr-04, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Feb 18, 2000 09:50 PM, Sr-4, Vehicles: 3, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
May 3, 1999 08:20 PM, Sr-24, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 9 meters (30ft)
Total costs: $1,278,000
Total average daily traffic: 14,020
Total average daily truck traffic: 1,730
Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic: 19,452
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Hampton)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: K2ZKA, Licensee ID: L01460026
Grant Date: 01/20/2009, Expiration Date: 02/05/2019, Certifier: Peter A Larro
Registrant: Peter A Larro, 675 State Route 22a, Hampton, NY 12837
- Call Sign: KC2PRP, Licensee ID: L01152178
Grant Date: 05/16/2006, Expiration Date: 05/16/2016, Certifier: Robert Rizzardi
Registrant: Robert Rizzardi, 131 Hog Creek Rd, E Hampton, NY 11937
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150H (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6720S , Serial Number: 15067520, Year manufactured: 1967, Airworthiness Date: 09/29/1967
Registrant (Individual): Kenneth J Williams, 19 Williams Rd, Hampton, NY 12837
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 3
|Most common first names in Hampton, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hampton, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Total of 7 patent applications in 2008-2015.