We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||39.7 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01031.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $29,992 (it was $20,824 in 2000)
Hardwick town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $234,656 (it was $130,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $290,186; Detached houses: $307,171; Townhouses or other attached units: $245,260; In 2-unit structures: $229,949; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $208,138; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $152,176; Mobile homes: $58,938
Races in Hardwick, MA (2010)
- 2,86595.8%White alone
- 291.0%Two or more races
- 270.9%Black alone
- 80.3%American Indian alone
- 60.2%Asian alone
- 20.07%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
|Liberal rural towns (103 replies)|
|Boundaries of MA's regions (63 replies)|
|Central and/or Western MA: what do you like? (46 replies)|
|Please finish this sentence. I have lived in Mass for years, and if I could live ANYWHERE in Mass, I would live.... (75 replies)|
|The Best Town Commons in Massachusetts (72 replies)|
|Suburban vs. Urban Thread (40 replies)|
Latest news from Hardwick, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (18.7%), Irish (18.3%), Polish (17.2%), English (15.1%), French Canadian (8.3%), German (7.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1739
Elevation: 880 feet
Land area: 38.6 square miles.
Population density: 77 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hardwick:
- High school or higher: 84.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.9%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hardwick town:
- Never married: 25.3%
- Now married: 58.7%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 7.0%
76 residents are foreign born (1.5% Europe, 0.6% North America, 0.4% Africa).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Hardwick, Massachusetts as of April 23, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Hardwick to the number of sex offenders is 2,673 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hardwick town:||1.4% ($1,810)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Worcester, MA (21.0 miles , pop. 172,648).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (56.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (135.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: New Braintree, MA (2.1 miles ), Ware, MA (2.6 miles ), Barre, MA (2.6 miles ), Oakham, MA (2.8 miles ), North Brookfield, MA (2.8 miles ), West Brookfield, MA (2.9 miles ), Petersham, MA (3.0 miles ), Warren, MA (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 9 buildings, average cost: $101,900
- 1998: 11 buildings, average cost: $97,100
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $105,600
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $102,700
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $197,600
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $146,400
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $154,900
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $152,800
- 2005: 16 buildings, average cost: $153,700
- 2006: 8 buildings, average cost: $169,900
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $282,600
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $190,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $190,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $98,800
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $210,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.35 N, Longitude: 72.20 W
|Crime rates in Hardwick by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 281.3)||N/A||N/A||N/A||219.4||116.1||120.6||123.5||157.5||130.3||158.6||106.5||147.6||138.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hardwick detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.33|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Health care (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Paper (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
Average climate in Hardwick, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hardwick-area historical tornado activity is above Massachusetts state average. It is 10% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 8.5 miles away from the Hardwick town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1970, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.0 miles away from the town center killed one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hardwick-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 154.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 166.4 miles away from Hardwick center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 85.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 4.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 245.0 miles away from Hardwick center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 127.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Worcester County (27) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 12
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 8, Hurricanes: 6, Snowstorms: 5, Winter Storms: 4, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Moses Robinson - Politician, Squire Whipple - Bridging engineer, Charles L. Robinson - Politician, Jonathan Robinson (American politician) - Politician, Wyman Spooner - Printer.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Hardwick: Elmer A. Snow.
Hospitals and medical centers near Hardwick:
- BAYSTATE MARY LANE HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 7 miles away; WARE, MA)
- GUARDIAN HOSPICE OF MASSACHUSETTS, INC (Hospital, about 9 miles away; WEST BROOKFIELD, MA)
- QUABOAG REHABILITATION AND SKILLED CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; WEST BROOKFIELD, MA)
- FAMILY HOME CARE, INC (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; SPENCER, MA)
- RUTLAND HEIGHTS HOSP- SNF (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; RUTLAND, MA)
- PALMER HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; PALMER, MA)
- FMC DIALYSIS SERVICES OF PALMER (Dialysis Facility, about 15 miles away; PALMER, MA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hardwick:
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 17 miles; Amherst, MA; Full-time enrollment: 26,583)
- Worcester State University (about 20 miles; Worcester, MA; FT enrollment: 5,426)
- Assumption College (about 20 miles; Worcester, MA; FT enrollment: 2,580)
- Mount Wachusett Community College (about 21 miles; Gardner, MA; FT enrollment: 3,143)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 21 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Clark University (about 21 miles; Worcester, MA; FT enrollment: 3,687)
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (about 21 miles; Worcester, MA; FT enrollment: 3,930)
Notable locations in Hardwick: Hardwick Rescue and Emergency Squad (A), Hardwick Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Taylor Cemetery (1), Saint Aloysius Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Dead Pond (A), Hardwick Pond (B), Hemingway Swamp (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Canterbury Brook (A), Broadmeadow Brook (B), Ellwell Brook (C), Fish Brook (D), Moose Brook (E), Newton Brook (F), Pine Hill Brook (G), Winimusset Brook (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 87.8. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.392. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.9 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 4.18. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.868. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 28.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.48. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.67. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 7.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
52 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers in 2010
53 people in other nonhousehold living situations in 2000
7 people in nursing homes in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hardwick town (based on Worcester County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Worcester County:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Worcester County:||1.79 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Worcester County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
3.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($51,386 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($555 average AGI)
Worcester County: 0.04% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.97% ($60,516 average AGI)|
|from Norfolk County, MA||0.24% ($51,162)|
|from Suffolk County, MA||0.16% ($52,384)|
4.08% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($50,030 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($764 average AGI)
Worcester County: 0.08% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hardwick:
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WARE (1250 AM; 5 kW; WARE, MA; Owner: SUCCESS SIGNAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTAG (580 AM; 5 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPNI (1430 AM; 5 kW; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hardwick:
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WAAF (107.3 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- WSRS (96.1 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WAHL (99.9 FM; ATHOL, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXLO (104.5 FM; FITCHBURG, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WBPR (91.9 FM; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WAQY (102.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WYCM (90.1 FM; CHARLTON, MA; Owner: BAY PATH VOCATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL)
- WWFX (100.1 FM; SOUTHBRIDGE, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WORC-FM (98.9 FM; WEBSTER, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLZX (99.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Hardwick:
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WUNI (Channel 27; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WUTF (Channel 66; MARLBOROUGH, MA; Owner: TELEFUTURA BOSTON LLC)
- WCVB-TV (Channel 5; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WCVB HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC.)
- WGBH-TV (Channel 2; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- WMFP (Channel 62; LAWRENCE, MA; Owner: WSAH LICENSE, INC.)
- WBZ-TV (Channel 4; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WGBX-TV (Channel 44; BOSTON, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WSBK-TV (Channel 38; BOSTON, MA; Owner: VIACOM INC.)
- WLVI-TV (Channel 56; CAMBRIDGE, MA; Owner: WLVI, INC.)
- WCRN-LP (Channel 34; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 11Number of bridges
- 20m66ftTotal length
- $5,757,000Total costs
- 30,397Total average daily traffic
- 1,863Total average daily truck traffic
- 32,312Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Hardwick Fire Dept (Lat: 42.353972 Lon: -72.200917), Type: Building, Structure height: 11 m, Overall height: 15 m, Call Sign: WPUL702
Assigned Frequencies: 453.512 MHz, 453.962 MHzGrant Date: 03/23/2012, Expiration Date: 03/28/2022, Certifier: James OwensRegistrant: Connecticut Radio, Inc, Rocky Hill, CT 06067, Phone: (860) 563-4867, Fax: (860) 563-1179
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hardwick)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hardwick and their reported violations in the past:EAGLE HILL SCHOOL (Population served: 250, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Failure to Consult with State - In JAN-01-2014, Contaminant: GROUNDWATER RULE. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-15-2014)
- 2 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
- Hazardous Condition: 6
Incident types - Hardwick
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (65%)
- Electricity (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Wood (7%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Hardwick compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Hardwick on our top lists:
- #45 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other nonhousehold living situations (population 1,000+)"
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest carbon monoxide air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the most Catholic congregations"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
- #16 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest total withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
- #23 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
Total of 36 patent applications in 2008-2017.