We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||40.7 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05843.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $20,557 (it was $14,813 in 2000)
Hardwick town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $148,489 (it was $77,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $193,527; Detached houses: $210,843; Townhouses or other attached units: $278,147; In 2-unit structures: $154,343; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $152,883; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $131,928; Mobile homes: $65,396
Races in Hardwick, VT (2010)
- 2,88495.8%White alone
- 692.3%Two or more races
- 180.6%Black alone
- 170.6%American Indian alone
- 100.3%Asian alone
- 10.03%Other race alone
|Need Help with Selecting Town to Relocate to (34 replies)|
|Vermont Made Beers-Here's Your Thread :) (526 replies)|
|Deciding on if I should move to Vermont... (11 replies)|
|Advice Needed: Same-Sex Couple in NEK (25 replies)|
|Fall Foliage 2012 (35 replies)|
|Considering relocating to Vermont (42 replies)|
Latest news from Hardwick, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (28.6%), English (22.4%), Irish (18.0%), United States (10.5%), French Canadian (6.9%), Scottish (5.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 841 feet
Land area: 38.5 square miles.
Population density: 78 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hardwick:
- High school or higher: 78.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hardwick town:
- Never married: 25.2%
- Now married: 53.9%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 12.1%
46 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 7 registered sex offenders living in Hardwick, Vermont as of September 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hardwick to the number of sex offenders is 455 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hardwick town:||2.0% ($1,571)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (115.1 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (164.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (265.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Greensboro Bend, VT (2.2 miles ), Greensboro, VT (2.3 miles ), Walden, VT (2.4 miles ), Woodbury, VT (2.6 miles ), Stannard, VT (2.6 miles) , Wolcott, VT (2.7 miles ), Elmore, VT (2.8 miles ), Cabot, VT (2.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $63,600
- 1998: 10 buildings, average cost: $95,700
- 2000: 11 buildings, average cost: $71,400
- 2001: 10 buildings, average cost: $98,300
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $68,200
- 2003: 9 buildings, average cost: $180,600
- 2004: 14 buildings, average cost: $77,900
- 2005: 8 buildings, average cost: $122,600
- 2006: 8 buildings, average cost: $111,000
- 2007: 12 buildings, average cost: $126,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $315,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $315,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $315,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $315,000
- 2012: 6 buildings, average cost: $184,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.52 N, Longitude: 72.35 W
Area code: 802
|Crime rates in Hardwick by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||175.8||282.1||215.7||219.1||188.1||311.6||146.9||236.3||203.3||214.4||138.5||159.4||225.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hardwick detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.37|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +193 (+6.5%).
- Construction (16%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Health care (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
Average climate in Hardwick, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Hardwick-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 67.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 106.2 miles away from Hardwick center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 79.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 66.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 26.8 miles away from Hardwick center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 54.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Caledonia County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 12, Heavy Rains: 2, Winds: 2, Landslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Lee E. Emerson - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Hardwick:
- LAMOILLE HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; MORRISVILLE, VT)
- UNION HOUSE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; GLOVER, VT)
- THE MANOR, INC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MORRISVILLE, VT)
- COPLEY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; MORRISVILLE, VT)
- ELMORE HOUSE AT COPLEY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MORRISVILLE, VT)
- MAPLE LANE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BARTON, VT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hardwick:
- Norwich University (about 31 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Michael's College (about 41 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 42 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 42 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Champlain College (about 43 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- Middlebury College (about 54 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh (about 57 miles; Plattsburgh, NY; FT enrollment: 5,934)
Public high school in Hardwick:
- Hazen Uhsd #26 School (Students: 381; Location: NORTH MAIN ST; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Hardwick:
Notable locations in Hardwick: Hardwick Memorial Building (A), Jeudevine Memorial Library (B), Hardwick Town Hall (C), Hardwick Fire Department (D), Hardwick Emergency Rescue Squad Incorporated (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Hardwick: United Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Maple Street Cemetery (1), Main Street Cemetery (2), Fairview-Saint Roberts Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Nichols Brook (A), Cooper Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Hardwick: Downtown Hardwick Village Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Village Motel (375 Mill).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 61.7. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 11.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 23.5 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hardwick and their reported violations in the past:HARDWICK TOWN WATER SYSTEM (Population served: 1,900, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:WOLCOTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Population served: 168, Groundwater):
- One minor monitoring violation
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Past health violations:MOOSE HORN CAFE (Population served: 40, Groundwater):
- OCCT/SOWT Study/Recommendation - In JUL-01-2005, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (SEP-22-2006), St Public Notif requested (SEP-22-2006), St Public Notif received (OCT-12-2006), St Compliance achieved (FEB-09-2011)
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In JUL-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (JUL-08-2009), St Formal NOV issued (JUL-08-2009), St Tech Assistance Visit (JUL-08-2009), St Public Notif requested (JUL-08-2009), St Compliance achieved (NOV-08-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (DEC-30-2005), St Boil Water Order (DEC-30-2005), St Tech Assistance Visit (DEC-30-2005), St Public Notif requested (DEC-30-2005), St Compliance achieved (NOV-08-2010)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - Between APR-2009 and JUN-2009, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (JUL-23-2009), St Public Notif requested (JUL-23-2009), St Compliance achieved (NOV-08-2010)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Hardwick compared to Vermont state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Hardwick (2011 data):
- Union Bank: Hardwick Branch at Wolcott Street, branch established on 1993/10/12. Info updated 2011/12/28: Bank assets: $551.8 mil, Deposits: $474.3 mil, headquarters in Morrisville, VT, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 17 total offices, Holding Company: Union Bankshares, Inc.
- Merchants Bank: Hardwick Branch at 84 Vermont Route 15-West, branch established on 1981/06/01. Info updated 2011/12/09: Bank assets: $1,615.1 mil, Deposits: $1,179.4 mil, headquarters in Burlington, VT, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 34 total offices, Holding Company: Merchants Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (60%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (21%)
- Wood (17%)
- Electricity (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hardwick town (based on Caledonia County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Caledonia County:||4.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Caledonia County:||7.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,711 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Orleans County, VT||0.56% ($30,029 average AGI)|
|from Washington County, VT||0.44% ($37,611)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.31% ($41,868)|
5.63% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,803 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hardwick:
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSTJ (1340 AM; 1 kW; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVAA (1390 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, KDR, LLC)
- WSKI (1240 AM; 1 kW; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: GALLOWAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hardwick:
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLY-FM (91.5 FM; BOLTON, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Hardwick:
- WVNY (Channel 22; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: C-22 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 23m75ftTotal length
- $1,758,000Total costs
- 12,995Total average daily traffic
- 1,075Total average daily truck traffic
- 18,323Total future (year 2017) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1
- Bridgman Hill Rd (Lat: 44.520528 Lon: -72.354417), Type: Bant, Structure height: 11.7 m, Overall height: 13.7 m, Call Sign: WQBJ525
Assigned Frequencies: 157.740 MHz
Grant Date: 10/20/2004, Expiration Date: 10/20/2014, Certifier: Stephan J Suker
Registrant: Cara Enterprises Inc., Las Vegas, NV 89140-0124, Phone: (702) 838-9728, Fax: (702) 363-4607, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- West Hill (Lat: 44.530333 Lon: -72.386222), Call Sign: KJS697
Assigned Frequencies: 37.2600 MHz
Grant Date: 02/26/1992, Expiration Date: 02/26/2002, Cancellation Date: 05/05/2002
Registrant: Hardwick, Town Of, Hardwick, VT 05843, Phone: (802) 412-5201
- Memorial Bldg Church St (Lat: 44.504778 Lon: -72.369000), Call Sign: KSU589
Assigned Frequencies: 460.150 MHz, 460.300 MHz, 460.500 MHz
Grant Date: 05/11/2004, Expiration Date: 07/24/2014
Registrant: Vt Dept Of Public Safety, 103 S Main St, Waterbury, VT 05671, Phone: (802) 241-5215, Fax: (802) 241-5557, Email:
- Mackville Rd (Lat: 44.488111 Lon: -72.369000), Call Sign: WAN503
Assigned Frequencies: 465.025 MHz
Grant Date: 05/11/2004, Expiration Date: 07/24/2014
Registrant: Vt Dept Of Public Safety, 103 S Main Street, Waterbury, VT 05671, Phone: (802) 241-5215, Fax: (802) 241-5557, Email:
- 98 Highland Ave (Lat: 44.490611 Lon: -72.349556), Type: Building, Structure height: 9 m, Overall height: 14 m, Call Sign: KKV518
Assigned Frequencies: 154.190 MHz
Grant Date: 09/05/2007, Expiration Date: 09/03/2017, Certifier: Ronald Bellavance
Registrant: Sanders Radio, 734 Stagecoach Rd, Morrisville, VT 05661, Phone: (802) 888-3307, Fax: (802) 888-5993
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1
- 300 West Of Bidgeman Hill Road (Lat: 44.517833 Lon: -72.359556), Structure height: 21.3 m, Call Sign: KDS417
Assigned Frequencies: 152.030 MHz
Grant Date: 03/10/2009, Expiration Date: 04/01/2019, Certifier: Gerald W Blanchard
Registrant: Keller And Heckman LLP, 1001 G Street, Nw, Suite 500 West, Washington, DC 20001, Phone: (202) 434-4100, Fax: (202) 434-4646, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hardwick)
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182P (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 120 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 20975 , Serial Number: 18261333, Year manufactured: 1972
Registrant (Individual): Ryan Molleur, Po Box 125, Hardwick, VT 05843
- Aircraft: GIROUX B-8M (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 45 mph), Engine: MCCULLOCH 4318A&E/0-100 (72 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 47116 , Serial Number: MG-1, Year manufactured: 1975
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, Box 628, Hardwick, VT 05482
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 3
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Hardwick
|Businesses in Hardwick, VT|
|Ace Hardware||1||MasterBrand Cabinets||2|
|Decora Cabinetry||2||Rite Aid||1|
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.