Harlan: Winter Wonderland
Harlan: Beginning of Cumberland River, in Harlan County
Harlan: fishing lake
Harlan: snowed creek 2009
Harlan: Swinging Bridge
Harlan: The Mornings Foggy Sun Rise
Harlan: Tom's Cabom
Harlan: lake view-top of mountains
Harlan: winter 2009
Harlan: Worn out barn. Somewhere in Harlan County.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||44.1 years|
|Kentucky median age:||38.7 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $21,834 (it was $15,572 in 2000)
Harlan city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $90,113 (it was $69,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $116,453; Detached houses: $121,433; Mobile homes: $36,877
Median gross rent in 2016: $416.
Races in Harlan, KY (2016)
- 1,34786.2%White alone
- 865.5%Asian alone
- 835.3%Black alone
- 271.7%American Indian alone
- 161.0%Other race alone
- 30.2%Two or more races
|Eastern Kentucky (206 replies)|
|Harlan Kentucky man stuns the Judges on the Voice. (1 reply)|
|Transplants: What do you think of Kentucky (118 replies)|
|Is Louisville Southern or Midwestern? (148 replies)|
|LOOKING for Information on Baxter Helton Jones from Harlan (1 reply)|
|NY Times: Six out of ten "Hardest Places to Live" in America? Found in southeastern Kentucky. (54 replies)|
Latest news from Harlan, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (23.1%), Irish (9.0%), English (8.4%), German (4.7%), Scotch-Irish (2.8%), Scottish (1.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 04/15/1884
Elevation: 1280 feet
Land area: 1.75 square miles.
Population density: 951 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Harlan:
- High school or higher: 82.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.1%
- Unemployed: 12.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Harlan city:
- Never married: 28.2%
- Now married: 40.8%
- Separated: 3.7%
- Widowed: 12.7%
- Divorced: 14.6%
71 residents are foreign born (1.5% Asia).
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there were 12 registered sex offenders living in Harlan, Kentucky as of June 19, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Harlan to the number of sex offenders is 130 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,167 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $722 (0.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johnson City, TN (63.2 miles , pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (104.5 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (416.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Loyall, KY (1.4 miles ), Pine Mountain, KY (2.3 miles ), Wallins Creek, KY (2.3 miles ), South Wallins, KY (2.3 miles ), Cawood, KY (2.7 miles ), Evarts, KY (2.7 miles ), Coldiron, KY (2.7 miles ), Kenvir, KY (3.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 11 buildings, average cost: $46,800
Latitude: 36.84 N, Longitude: 83.32 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,081 (+133.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 272 (46.2%)
Area code: 606
|Crime rates in Harlan by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 273.6)||372.3||619.7||427.6||378.8||291.2||251.8||386.3||266.9||293.4||502.1||329.6||178.9||179.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Harlan detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||7.73|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -748 (-26.4%).
- Retail trade (20%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Construction (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (6%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Management occupations (14%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Material moving occupations (11%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Legal occupations (5%)
- Sales and related occupations (18%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (16%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (12%)
- Personal care and service occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
Average climate in Harlan, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Harlan-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Kentucky state average. It is 57% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/9/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 24.8 miles away from the Harlan city center killed one person and injured 15 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 7/6/1980, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 18.5 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Harlan-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 100.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 80.5 miles away from Harlan center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 95.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 273.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/17/1990 at 21:01:17, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 LG, 4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 3.5 miles away from Harlan center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 77.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Harlan County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 4, Mudslides: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Landslides: 2, Snows: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Nick Lachey - Dance musician, Karl Spillman Forester - Federal judge, Peggy McDowell Curlin - Women's rights activist, Rusty York - Banjoist.
Hospitals and medical centers in Harlan:
- HARLAN APPALACHIAN REGIONAL HEALTHCARE HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Other, provides emergency services, 81 BALL PARK ROAD)
- MOUNTAIN HERITAGE HOSPICE INC (163 BELKWAY VILLAGE CTR 2 P O BOX 189)
- HARLAN HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (200 MEDICAL CENTER DRIVE)
- FMC - NA HARLAN (136 VILLAGE CENTER RD)
- HARLAN ARH HHA (81 BALL PARK ROAD)
Airports and heliports located in Harlan:
- Tucker-Guthrie Memorial Airport (I35) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 500, Itinerant Ops: 3,300, Local Ops: 2,100, Military Ops: 500)
- Harlan Hospital Heliport (6KY0)
College/University in Harlan:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Harlan:
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 21 miles; Cumberland, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,196)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 27 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- Hazard Community and Technical College (about 29 miles; Hazard, KY; FT enrollment: 2,087)
- Walters State Community College (about 44 miles; Morristown, TN; FT enrollment: 4,359)
- University of the Cumberlands (about 48 miles; Williamsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 3,585)
- Tusculum College (about 56 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Northeast State Community College (about 57 miles; Blountville, TN; FT enrollment: 4,480)
Public high school in Harlan:
- HARLAN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 461, Location: 420 E CENTRAL ST, Grades: 5-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Harlan:
Library in Harlan:
Notable locations in Harlan: Harlan County Emergency Management (A), Harlan Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Clover Fork Cumberland River (A), Dave Smith Branch (B), Coldiron Branch (C), Catron Creek (D), Martins Fork Cumberland River (E), Baker Branch (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Holiday Inn Express (2608 South USHighway 421), Mount Aire Motel (355 Skidmore Drive), Tomlinson and Cody (100 Walnut Street).
Courts: Kentucky State - Supreme Court- Employment Services Department (119 North Cumberland Avenue), Kentucky State - Supreme Court- Unemployment Insurance Division (124 South Cumberland Avenue), Harlan County - Circuit Court Clerk (129 South 1st Street), Harlan County - District Court (129 South 1st Street), Harlan County - Circuit Court (129 South 1st Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2004 was 23.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 20.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 0.4 miles away from the city center.
(24.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 41.3% for Black residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 15.0% for American Indian residents, 100.0% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Banks with branches in Harlan (2011 data):
- The Bank of Harlan: Mansion Branch, The Bank Of Harlan, Village Center Branch. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $131.9 mil, Deposits: $112.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Harlan, Inc.
- Home Federal Bank Corporation: Village Center Branch at 185 Finance Street, branch established on 1920/01/01; Cumberland Avenue Branch at 102 Cumberland Avenue, branch established on 2001/12/18. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $347.7 mil, Deposits: $267.1 mil, headquarters in Middlesboro, KY, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Hfb Financial Corporation
- Commercial Bank: Harlan Branch at 2320 South U.S. Highway 421, branch established on 2005/11/29. Info updated 2008/09/25: Bank assets: $807.9 mil, Deposits: $626.4 mil, headquarters in Harrogate, TN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 20 total offices, Holding Company: Unified Shares, Llc
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Harlan Main Branch at 200 Professional Lane, branch established on 1968/02/06. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Harlan city (based on Harlan County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Harlan County:||3.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Harlan County:||0.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Harlan County:||4.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Harlan, KY Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||11||$29,023||$31,661||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$1,685||$20,220||4||$3,095|
|Streets and Highways||8||$15,452||$23,178||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$1,532||$18,384||3||$2,776|
|Totals for Government||41||$95,081||$27,829||7||$5,871|
2.60% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,233 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bell County, KY||0.19% ($45,813 average AGI)|
|from Fayette County, KY||0.18% ($27,667)|
|from Laurel County, KY||0.14% ($25,000)|
3.09% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,077 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Harlan:
- WFSR (970 AM; 5 kW; HARLAN, KY; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING COMPAY)
- WHLN (1410 AM; 5 kW; HARLAN, KY)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WMIK (560 AM; 3 kW; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGOC (640 AM; 10 kW; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WSWV (1570 AM; 2 kW; PENNINGTON GAP, VA; Owner: IBS COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- WKIC (1390 AM; 5 kW; HAZARD, KY)
- WPWT (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WKLB (1290 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, KY; Owner: BARKER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTCW (920 AM; 4 kW; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WZAP (690 AM; 10 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: RAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Harlan:
- WTUK (105.1 FM; HARLAN, KY; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSEH (102.7 FM; CUMBERLAND, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSGS (101.1 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- W223AA (92.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMIK-FM (92.7 FM; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEKH (90.9 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WJNV (99.1 FM; JONESVILLE, VA; Owner: REGINA KAY MOORE)
- WRIL (106.3 FM; PINEVILLE, KY; Owner: PINE HILLS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZQQ (97.9 FM; HYDEN, KY; Owner: LESLIE COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WIFX-FM (94.3 FM; JENKINS, KY; Owner: LETCHER COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC)
- WJMD (104.7 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: HAZARD BROADCASTING SERVICES)
- WXKQ-FM (103.9 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WMMT (88.7 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: APPALSHOP, INCORPORATED)
- WCTU (105.9 FM; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: STAIR COMPANY, INC)
- WDXC (102.3 FM; POUND, VA; Owner: WDXC RADIO, INC.)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Harlan:
- WAGV (Channel 44; HARLAN, KY; Owner: LIVING FAITH MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WYMT-TV (Channel 57; HAZARD, KY; Owner: WYMT LICENSEE CORP.)
- W24BT (Channel 24; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKHA (Channel 35; HAZARD, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- W31BU (Channel 31; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W53BQ (Channel 53; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W69ED (Channel 69; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W26BK (Channel 26; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 11Number of bridges
- 80m262ftTotal length
- $4,013,000Total costs
- 71,832Total average daily traffic
- 4,724Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Harlan, KY)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 21 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Harlan)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Harlan and their reported violations in the past:HARLAN MUNICIPAL WATER WORKS (Population served: 6,534, Surface water):
Past monitoring violations:COAP, INC. (Population served: 36, Purch surface water):
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2012 and SEP-2012, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-02-2012), St Formal NOV issued (NOV-02-2012), St Compliance achieved (MAR-27-2013), St Public Notif received (JUL-10-2013)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2012 and SEP-2012, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-02-2012), St Formal NOV issued (NOV-02-2012), St Compliance achieved (MAR-27-2013), St Public Notif received (JUL-10-2013)
- One regular monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JUL-01-2012, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-14-2013), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-14-2013), St Compliance achieved (JAN-03-2014)
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JAN-01-2010, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-25-2010), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-25-2010), St Compliance achieved (FEB-07-2013)
- Monitoring of Treatment (SWTR-Filter) - In DEC-2009. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-13-2010), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-13-2010), St Compliance achieved (MAY-19-2010)
- Monitoring of Treatment (SWTR-Filter) - In NOV-2009. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-13-2010), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-13-2010), St Compliance achieved (MAY-19-2010)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 27
- Hazardous Condition: 4
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Harlan
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Harlan, Kentucky:
- Ackley Motel, S Main St, Harlan, Kentucky 40831 , Phone: (606) 573-1868
- Comfort Inn, 2608 South Hwy 421, Harlan, Kentucky 40840 , Phone: (606) 573-3385, Fax: (606) 573-6717
|Most common first names in Harlan, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Harlan, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (83%)
- Utility gas (7%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
|Businesses in Harlan, KY|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|FedEx||1||Papa John's Pizza||1|
Harlan compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.