|Median resident age:||49.4 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04942.
Harmony town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $90,613 (it was $56,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 902 (96.1%)
- Two or more races - 18 (1.9%)
- Asian alone - 7 (0.7%)
- Hispanic - 5 (0.5%)
- American Indian alone - 3 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.1%)
|Feedback on Harmony, ME (14 replies)|
|Finally! A serious Maine Winter... (132 replies)|
|Fishing Harmony (3 replies)|
|Lobsters/steamers in Skowhegan/Harmony area (9 replies)|
|Deer guides near Harmony (7 replies)|
|Political Atmosphere in Maine (63 replies)|
Latest news from Harmony, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (20.3%), French (14.2%), Irish (12.3%), United States (9.5%), German (5.7%), Italian (5.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 06/15/1803
Elevation: 316 feet
Land area: 38.8 square miles.
Population density: 24 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Harmony:
- High school or higher: 75.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 10.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Harmony town:
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 62.9%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 11.3%
12 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Harmony, Maine as of May 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Harmony to the number of sex offenders is 466 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Harmony town:||1.0% ($554)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (97.2 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (198.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (359.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Athens, ME (2.4 miles ), Cambridge, ME (2.5 miles ), Hartland, ME (2.7 miles ), Wellington, ME (2.8 miles ), St. Albans, ME (2.8 miles ), Ripley, ME (2.8 miles ), Cornville, ME (3.3 miles ), Parkman, ME (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 44.97 N, Longitude: 69.54 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (24%)
- Leather and allied products (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (14%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Textile mills and textile products (4%)
- Apparel (12%)
- Health care (12%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Textile mills and textile products (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Construction laborers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (19%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Harmony, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Harmony-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 208.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 247.4 miles away from Harmony center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 144.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 81.0 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 33.9 miles away from Harmony center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 52.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Somerset County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Harmony:
- SANFIELD REHAB AND LIVING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; HARTLAND, ME)
- SQUARE ROAD GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 11 miles away; SAINT ALBANS, ME)
- DEXTER HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; DEXTER, ME)
- SEBASTICOOK VALLEY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; PITTSFIELD, ME)
- PITTSFIELD REHAB AND NURSING (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; PITTSFIELD, ME)
- BIRCH GROVE REHAB AND LIVING CTR (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; PITTSFIELD, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Harmony:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 37 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- Husson University (about 38 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 43 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 46 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 92 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 98 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 98 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Public elementary/middle school in Harmony:
- Harmony Elementary School (Location: MAIN ST PO BOX 100; Grades: K-8)
Notable locations in Harmony: Harmony Regional Ambulance Service (A), Harmony Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Klondike Cemetery (1), Chadborne Cemetery (2), Leighton Cemetery (3), Libby Cemetery (4), North Road Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Lake Como (A), Mainstream Pond (B), Mud Pond (C), Perry Pond (D), Higgins Brook (E), Sugar Hill (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Goodwin Brook (A), Little Ferguson Brook (B), Whitehouse Brook (C), Higgins Stream (D), Grant Brook (E), Railbridge Brook (F), Kimball Brook (G), Lyshornes Brook (H), Church Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2001 was 74.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Harmony compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (64%)
- Wood (27%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
- Electricity (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Religion statistics for Harmony town (based on Somerset County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 29.86%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Church of the Nazarene||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||United Church of Christ||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Somerset County:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||2.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||9.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.56% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,526 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Kennebec County, ME||1.67% ($27,240 average AGI)|
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.89% ($23,204)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.22% ($25,475)|
5.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,088 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Harmony:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Harmony:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WIGY (97.5 FM; MADISON, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Harmony:
- WABI-TV (Channel 5; BANGOR, ME; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING SERVICE)
Harmony fatal accident list:
Jul 29, 1991 12:15 AM, 150, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Jul 1, 1990 03:40 AM, 154, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Oct 22, 1981 08:50 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 6, Fatalities: 2, Drunken drivers: 1
Total length: 8 meters (26ft)
Total average daily traffic: 5,010
Total average daily truck traffic: 398
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 7,515
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 44.966722 Lon: -69.532806, Call Sign: WPWF745
Assigned Frequencies: 154.055 MHz, 154.055 MHz
Grant Date: 09/20/2012, Expiration Date: 11/06/2022, Certifier: Phillip N Campbell
Registrant: Yankee Communications, 935 Main Street, Clinton, ME 04927, Phone: (207) 453-2000, Fax: (866) 536-5243, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: N1MRT, Licensee ID: L00489747
Grant Date: 03/28/2002, Expiration Date: 06/09/2012, Certifier: Raymond A Roberts
Registrant: Raymond A Roberts, Harmony, ME 04942
- Call Sign: N1SWS, Licensee ID: L00882781
Grant Date: 06/30/2004, Expiration Date: 08/10/2014
Registrant: Scott R Loupin, 20 Bean Hill Road, Harmony, ME 04942
- Call Sign: N5KRF
Grant Date: 10/27/1997, Expiration Date: 10/27/2007, Cancellation Date: 10/28/2009
Registrant: Oscar L Aristizabal, Rar Ofc Ministries, Harmony, ME 04942-0008
- Call Sign: WB1EDL, Licensee ID: L00226076
Grant Date: 03/11/2004, Expiration Date: 05/31/2014, Certifier: Freddie M Underwood Jr
Registrant: Freddie M Underwood Jr, 3 Deam Dr, Harmony, ME 04942
- Call Sign: KB1PDZ, Licensee ID: L01549508
Grant Date: 06/19/2007, Expiration Date: 06/19/2017, Certifier: Mark A Wormwood
Registrant: Mark A Wormwood, Harmony, ME 04942
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: AERONCA 7AC (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (65 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 84238 , Serial Number: 7AC-2930, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 12/10/1955
Registrant (Individual): Ralph K Bagley, 105 Trafton Rd, Harmony, ME 04942
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
State forum archive:
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.