We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.9 years|
|Alabama median age:||38.3 years|
Zip codes: 36344.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,168 (it was $13,290 in 2000)
Hartford city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $80,431 (it was $47,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $85,327; Detached houses: $92,876; Mobile homes: $12,735
Median gross rent in 2013: $450.
Races in Hartford, AL (2010)
- 2,01776.9%White alone
- 47017.9%Black alone
- 411.6%Two or more races
- 110.4%American Indian alone
- 30.1%Asian alone
- 10.04%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rate? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
|Increasing Density in Birmingham (re)development patterns (6 replies)|
|Local Pizza Thread 2012 (Joe's, Pie, Tortoras, Venice) (645 replies)|
|what about Hartford Alabama (7 replies)|
|Moving Here? Need Advice? Help Us Help You. (294 replies)|
|Moving from Southeastern NC to Birmingham area and need advice on areas deemed most unsafe (7 replies)|
|Spring Football (8 replies)|
Latest news from Hartford, AL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (15.5%), English (9.0%), German (6.3%), Irish (6.3%), French (3.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 278 feet
Land area: 6.23 square miles.
Population density: 424 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hartford:
- High school or higher: 73.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 17.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hartford city:
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 43.9%
- Separated: 6.7%
- Widowed: 14.7%
- Divorced: 13.3%
11 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Alabama and other state lists there were 17 registered sex offenders living in Hartford, Alabama as of February 10, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Hartford to the number of sex offenders is 156 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $346 (0.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $268 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dothan, AL (19.0 miles , pop. 57,737).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Montgomery, AL (93.6 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (585.0 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Slocomb, AL (2.4 miles ), Black, AL (2.7 miles ), Esto, FL (3.0 miles ), Clayhatchee, AL (3.1 miles ), Noma, FL (3.1 miles ), Eunola, AL (3.2 miles) , Malvern, AL (3.2 miles ), Geneva, AL (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $40,100
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $50,600
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $98,000
- 2000: 6 buildings, average cost: $60,600
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $88,900
- 2003: 7 buildings, average cost: $88,900
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $88,900
- 2005: 10 buildings, average cost: $68,700
- 2006: 14 buildings, average cost: $92,700
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $101,300
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $107,900
- 2009: 7 buildings, average cost: $150,300
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $141,700
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $141,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 31.10 N, Longitude: 85.69 W
Area code: 334
|Crime rates in Hartford by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 292.9)||385.2||384.6||478.1||550.1||379.3||392.3||280.3||363.7||408.5||338.7||262.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hartford detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.02|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (23%)
- Transportation and warehousing (12%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Retail trade (31%)
- Health care and social assistance (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Construction (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (23%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Transportation occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (25%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (14%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (5%)
Average climate in Hartford, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hartford-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 49% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.1 miles away from the Hartford city center killed 9 people and injured 50 people and caused $250 million in damages.
On 12/29/1973, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.7 miles away from the city center injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hartford-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 93.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 340.5 miles away from Hartford center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 183.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 234.5 miles away from the city center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 169.4 miles away from Hartford center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 267.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Geneva County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 8, Hurricanes: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Dixie Howell - Football and baseball player and coach, Early Wynn - Baseball player, Scott Peacock - Chef.
Hospitals and medical centers in Hartford:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Hartford:
- GENEVA COUNTY HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; GENEVA, AL)
- COMPASSIONATE HANDS HOSPICE, INC (Hospital, about 13 miles away; GENEVA, AL)
- WIREGRASS MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; GENEVA, AL)
- JACKSON CO CONVALESCENT CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; GRACEVILLE, FL)
- SIGNATURE HEALTHCARE OF NORTH FLORIDA (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; GRACEVILLE, FL)
- CAMPBELLTON GRACEVILLE HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; GRACEVILLE, FL)
Airports and heliports located in Hartford:
- Flying H Ranch Airport (Runways: 1)
- Striplin Airfield Airport (Runways: 1)
- Highbluff Stagefield Ahp Heliport
- Highfalls Stagefield Ahp Heliport
Operable nuclear power plants near Hartford:
- 20 miles: Joseph M. Farley 1 and 2 in Dothan, AL.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hartford:
- Enterprise State Community College (about 16 miles; Enterprise, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,101)
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 21 miles; Dothan, AL; FT enrollment: 3,611)
- Troy University (about 51 miles; Troy, AL; FT enrollment: 16,148)
- Northwest Florida State College (about 61 miles; Niceville, FL; FT enrollment: 5,052)
- Gulf Coast State College (about 64 miles; Panama City, FL; FT enrollment: 4,474)
- Bainbridge State College (about 71 miles; Bainbridge, GA; FT enrollment: 2,308)
- Tuskegee University (about 92 miles; Tuskegee, AL; FT enrollment: 2,810)
Public high school in Hartford:
- Geneva County High School (Students: 195; Location: 301 LILY ST; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Hartford:
Notable locations in Hartford: City of Hartford Sewage Lagoon (A), Hartford Volunteer Fire and Rescue (B), Hartford Health Care Center (C), Hartford Public Library (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hartford include: Shiloh Baptist Church (A), Prosperity Missionary Baptist Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), First Assembly of God Church (D), First United Methodist Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Hartford City Cemetery (1), Shiloh Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Daughtry Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 56.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 24.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 21.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 13.3. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.8 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hartford and their reported violations in the past:HARTFORD WATER WORKS (Address: 203 West Main Street , Population served: 4,038, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 21 regular monitoring violations
(20.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 45.2% for Black residents, 89.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 77.5% for other race residents, 88.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
80 people in nursing homes in 2000
23 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Hartford compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Hartford (2011 data):
- City Bank of Hartford: City Bank Of Hartford at 307 West Main Street, branch established on 1975/10/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $57.1 mil, Deposits: $51.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Hartford Financial Corporation
- The First National Bank of Hartford: The First National Bank Of Hartford at 101 Third Avenue South, branch established on 1905/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $146.5 mil, Deposits: $125.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 1 total offices, Holding Company: First Hartford Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (85%)
- Utility gas (7%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Wood (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hartford city (based on Geneva County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Geneva County:||4.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Geneva County:||4.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||6||$3,500|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$1,150||$13,800||1||$652|
|Police Protection - Officers||7||$17,947||$30,766||1||$642|
|Police - Other||6||$7,562||$15,124||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||8||$14,667||$22,001||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$1,594||$19,128||2||$762|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$3,915||$23,490||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||45||$92,414||$24,644||21||$15,906|
Hartford government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $1,734,000 ($656.07)
General - Other: $349,000 ($132.05)
Police Protection: $300,000 ($113.51)
Regular Highways: $217,000 ($82.10)
Financial Administration: $118,000 ($44.65)
Solid Waste Management: $109,000 ($41.24)
Parks & Recreation: $96,000 ($36.32)
Libraries: $39,000 ($14.76)
Water Utilities: $37,000 ($14.00)
Fire Protection: $29,000 ($10.97)
Elementary & Secondary Education: $20,000 ($7.57)
Sewerage: $10,000 ($3.78)
Health Services - Other: $7,000 ($2.65)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $541,000 ($204.69)
Hartford government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $120,000 ($45.40)
Solid Waste Management: $116,000 ($43.89)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $43,000 ($16.27)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $1,734,000 ($656.07)
Water Utilities: $173,000 ($65.46)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $286,000 ($108.21)
Property: $41,000 ($15.51)
NEC: $32,000 ($12.11)
Hartford government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $768,000 ($290.58)
6.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,567 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Houston County, AL||1.87% ($24,937 average AGI)|
|from Coffee County, AL||0.82% ($32,600)|
|from Dale County, AL||0.48% ($31,610)|
7.33% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,378 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hartford:
- WTKN (1560 AM; daytime; 5 kW; DALEVILLE, AL; Owner: JOSEPH A. ADAMS, SR.)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WGEA (1150 AM; 1 kW; GENEVA, AL; Owner: SHELLEY BROADCASTING CO, INC., D.I.P)
- WZEP (1460 AM; 10 kW; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Owner: WALTON COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAGF (1320 AM; 3 kW; DOTHAN, AL)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WGTX (1280 AM; 5 kW; DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FL)
- WEBY (1330 AM; 25 kW; MILTON, FL; Owner: SPINNAKER LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WTCL (1580 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CHATTAHOOCHEE, FL; Owner: METZ, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hartford:
- WDJR (96.9 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRWA (88.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: TROY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WRJM-FM (93.7 FM; GENEVA, AL; Owner: STAGE DOOR DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WOOF-FM (99.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WKMX (106.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: WKMX, INC.)
- WDYF (90.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: FAITH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTVY-FM (95.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WXUS (100.5 FM; FORT RUCKER, AL; Owner: SKYWAY BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WFSY (98.5 FM; PANAMA CITY, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZTZ (101.1 FM; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WAGF-FM (101.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WTOT-FM (101.7 FM; GRACEVILLE, FL; Owner: GRF, INC.)
- WVOB (91.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: BETHANY BIBLE COLLEGE & B.T.S. INC.)
- WYYX (97.7 FM; BONIFAY, FL; Owner: STYLES MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WESP (102.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WJJN (92.1 FM; COLUMBIA, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WAQG (91.7 FM; OZARK, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WJRL-FM (103.9 FM; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WGTF (89.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: DOTHAN COMMUNITY EDUCL. RADIO, INC.)
- WJED (91.1 FM; DOGWOOD LAKES ESTATE, FL; Owner: BETHANY BIBLE COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Hartford:
- WTVY (Channel 4; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WDFX-TV (Channel 34; OZARK, AL; Owner: WAITT LICENSE CO. OF ALABAMA, L.L.C.)
- WJJN-LP (Channel 5; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: JAMES WILSON, III)
- WDHN (Channel 18; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: MORRIS NETWORK OF ALABAMA, INC.)
- WBIF (Channel 51; MARIANNA, FL; Owner: MARIANNA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W41BN (Channel 41; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
Hartford fatal accident list:
Jun 14, 2004 08:05 PM, 1220, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
May 24, 2000 06:00 PM, Sr-52, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Nov 12, 1989 01:20 AM, 123, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Aug 13, 1983 08:10 PM, 52, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jul 9, 1981 01:40 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Hartford)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:45 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Hartford, AL)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- Eunola EBTS, 2520 S. County Rd 55 (Al12955-A) (Lat: 31.061000 Lon: -85.752667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 97.8 m, Overall height: 102.1 m, Call Sign: WQOX398
Assigned Frequencies: 928.368 MHz, 952.368 MHz
Grant Date: 02/23/2012, Expiration Date: 02/23/2022, Certifier: Larry F Butts
Registrant: Levine, Blaszak, Block & Boothby, LLP, 2001 L Street, Nw, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 857-2574, Fax: (202) 223-0833, Email:
- DOTAL0083 MW, .15 Mi S Of Hwy 69 On Ferrite Lane (Hartford) (Lat: 31.101472 Lon: -85.676528), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 96 m, Call Sign: WQPK661
Assigned Frequencies: 11345.0 MHz
Grant Date: 06/15/2012, Expiration Date: 06/15/2022, Certifier: Patricia Morrison
Registrant: Radyn, Inc, Silver Spring, MD 20914, Phone: (301) 493-5171, Fax: (301) 576-4553, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hartford)
FAA Registered Aircraft:20 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Hartford)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
|Most common first names in Hartford, AL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hartford, AL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Hartford, AL
- FedEx: 1
- Hardee's: 1
- Subway: 1
Hartford on our top lists:
- #43 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Secondary school teachers"
- #78 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Electrical and electronic goods merchant wholesalers"
- #79 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Other health and personal care stores"
- #41 (36344) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking English at home (pop 5,000+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.