Hartford City, Indiana
Hartford City: court house
Hartford City: Hartford City, IN
Hartford City: Blackford County Courthouse
Hartford City: court house
Hartford City: south side of square
Hartford City: Blackford County Jail Hartford City. IN
Hartford City: Hartford City (Carnegie) Library
Hartford City: Blackford County Courthouse in Hartford City
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||40.2 years|
|Indiana median age:||37.3 years|
Zip codes: 47348.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,026 (it was $15,596 in 2000)
Hartford City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $60,403 (it was $53,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $598.
Races in Hartford City, IN (2010)
- 6,00696.6%White alone
- 921.5%Two or more races
- 180.3%Black alone
- 100.2%American Indian alone
- 80.1%Asian alone
- 90.1%Other race alone
- 40.06%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Bi-racial married couple looking to relo from So Cali to Indianapolis (58 replies)|
|Question about Muncie schools (6 replies)|
|Who else is ready for Fall? (9 replies)|
|Indiana bank ratings (7 replies)|
|Montpelier (15 replies)|
Latest news from Hartford City, IN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (20.3%), United States (15.9%), Irish (15.2%), English (10.3%), French (2.2%), Dutch (2.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 922 feet
Land area: 3.72 square miles.
Population density: 1,635 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hartford City:
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hartford City city:
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 51.3%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 16.7%
30 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Indiana and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Hartford City, Indiana as of September 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hartford City to the number of sex offenders is 2,030 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $503 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $528 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Muncie, IN (18.0 miles , pop. 67,430).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Wayne, IN (45.1 miles , pop. 205,727).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (153.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Shamrock Lakes, IN (2.0 miles) , Upland, IN (2.6 miles ), Eaton, IN (2.8 miles ), Matthews, IN (2.8 miles ), Montpelier, IN (2.9 miles ), Dunkirk, IN (3.2 miles ), Fowlerton, IN (3.3 miles ), Gaston, IN (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 40.45 N, Longitude: 85.37 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: -333 (-5.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,043 (40.2%)
Area code: 765
|Crime rates in Hartford City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||130.7||157.9||169.5||191.7||185.4||219.1||196.8||238.4||213.7||203.0||210.3||194.7||239.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hartford City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.82|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -30 (-0.4%).
- Manufacturing (46%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Construction (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (22%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Manufacturing (13%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Production occupations (31%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (6%)
Average climate in Hartford City, Indiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hartford City-area historical tornado activity is near Indiana state average. It is 108% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/11/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.8 miles away from the Hartford City city center killed 4 people and injured 125 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 4/11/1965, a category F4 tornado 7.1 miles away from the city center killed 25 people and injured 835 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hartford City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Indiana state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 192.9 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 173.2 miles away from Hartford City center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 175.2 miles away from the city center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 52.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 213.9 miles away from Hartford City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 190.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Blackford County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 4, Tornadoes: 4, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Joseph W. Fordney - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Hartford City:
- CAREY SERVICES, INC (306 EAST FIFTH ST)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY HEALTH BLACKFORD HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Private, provides emergency services, 410 PILGRIM BLVD)
- HEARTS WITH INTEGRITY (1603 N WALNUT ST)
- BRIDGEWATER REHABILITATION CENTRE (715 N MILL ST)
- HARTFORD CITY COMMUNITY CARE CENTER (715 NORTH MILL STREET)
- MILLER'S MERRY MANOR (0548 S 100 W)
Airports located in Hartford City:
- Minneman Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 610, Local Ops: 1,650)
- Hickory Hills Airport (Runways: 2)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hartford City:
- Taylor University (about 7 miles; Upland, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,272)
- Indiana Wesleyan University (about 17 miles; Marion, IN; FT enrollment: 13,681)
- Ball State University (about 18 miles; Muncie, IN; FT enrollment: 20,254)
- Anderson University (about 29 miles; Anderson, IN; FT enrollment: 2,378)
- Indiana University-Kokomo (about 41 miles; Kokomo, IN; FT enrollment: 2,500)
- University of Saint Francis-Fort Wayne (about 46 miles; Fort Wayne, IN; FT enrollment: 2,075)
- Indiana Institute of Technology (about 46 miles; Fort Wayne, IN; FT enrollment: 4,320)
Public high school in Hartford City:
- Blackford High School (Students: 741; Location: 2392 N SR 3 N; Grades: 9-12)
Private high school in Hartford City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Hartford City:
Notable locations in Hartford City: Hartford City Fire Department (A), Northside Greenhouse (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Relax Inn of H C (State Road 3 North).
Courts: Blackford County Offices - Circuit Court (Court House), Blackford County Offices - County Court Probation (Court House), Blackford County Offices - County Court (Court House).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 72.4. This is about average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.85. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.4 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hartford City and their reported violations in the past:HARTFORD CITY WATER WORKS (Population served: 6,960, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring of Treatment (SWTR-Unfilt/GWR) - In APR-2010, Contaminant: GROUNDWATER RULE. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-18-2010), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-18-2010), St Compliance achieved (JUL-27-2012)
(17.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 15.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
4 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
44 people in nursing homes in 2000
6 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
Hartford City compared to Indiana state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Hartford City (2011 data):
- Pacesetter Bank: Washington Street Branch at 222 West Washington Street, branch established on 1997/04/07; at 1515 North Walnut Street, branch established on 1965/01/04. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $114.7 mil, Deposits: $100.4 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Town Financial Corporation
- First Financial Bank, National Association: Hartford City Branch at 101 West Washington Street, branch established on 1893/03/13; Auto Branch at 117 South Jefferson Street, branch established on 1961/10/31. Info updated 2009/09/21: Bank assets: $6,663.4 mil, Deposits: $5,754.9 mil, headquarters in Hamilton, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 101 total offices, Holding Company: First Financial Bancorp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (57%)
- Electricity (39%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Wood (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hartford City city (based on Blackford County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Blackford County:||4.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Blackford County:||5.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$5,710||$34,260||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||2||$2,886|
|Police Protection - Officers||13||$44,004||$40,619||7||$7,501|
|Streets and Highways||8||$22,769||$34,154||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||48||$157,012||$39,253||9||$10,387|
Hartford City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $13,000 ($2.14)
- Current Operations - Sewerage: $862,000 ($141.64)
Water Utilities: $824,000 ($135.39)
Police Protection: $580,000 ($95.30)
General - Other: $555,000 ($91.19)
Regular Highways: $428,000 ($70.33)
Solid Waste Management: $366,000 ($60.14)
Fire Protection: $349,000 ($57.34)
Central Staff Services: $162,000 ($26.62)
Parks & Recreation: $135,000 ($22.18)
Financial Administration: $44,000 ($7.23)
Electric Utilities: $39,000 ($6.41)
Judicial and Legal Services: $39,000 ($6.41)
General Public Buildings: $35,000 ($5.75)
Housing & Community Development: $30,000 ($4.93)
Welfare - Other: $22,000 ($3.61)
- Employee Retirement - Benefit Payments: $152,000 ($24.98)
- General - Interest on Debt: $53,000 ($8.71)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $3,985,000 ($654.78)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $269,000 ($44.20)
Hartford City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $1,090,000 ($179.10)
Solid Waste Management: $239,000 ($39.27)
All Other: $102,000 ($16.76)
Parks & Recreation: $10,000 ($1.64)
- Employee Retirement - From Local Government: $88,000 ($14.46)
Local Employee Contribution: $25,000 ($4.11)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $354,000 ($58.17)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $110,000 ($18.07)
Interest Earnings: $94,000 ($15.45)
Property Sale Other: $29,000 ($4.77)
Rents: $10,000 ($1.64)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $799,000 ($131.28)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $551,000 ($90.54)
All Other: $269,000 ($44.20)
Water Utilities: $0 ($0.00)
- Tax - Property: $1,371,000 ($225.27)
NEC: $63,000 ($10.35)
Public Utilities: $43,000 ($7.07)
Individual Income: $0 ($0.00)
Hartford City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $4,484,000 ($736.77)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $883,000 ($145.09)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $2,777,000 ($456.29)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $3,660,000 ($601.38)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $4,484,000 ($736.77)
Hartford City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $53,000 ($8.71)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $942,000 ($154.78)
5.00% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,659 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Delaware County, IN||0.94% ($24,104 average AGI)|
|from Grant County, IN||0.80% ($27,415)|
|from Jay County, IN||0.57% ($21,310)|
5.86% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,881 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hartford City:
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGOM (860 AM; 1 kW; MARION, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO OF INDIANA, INC.)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WSAI (1530 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WIOU (1350 AM; 5 kW; KOKOMO, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WONO (1380 AM; 5 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hartford City:
- WHTY (93.5 FM; HARTFORD CITY, IN; Owner: INDIANA SABRECOM, INC.)
- WHCI (88.1 FM; HARTFORD CITY, IN; Owner: BLACKFORD COUNTY SCHOOL CORPORATION)
- WMRI (106.9 FM; MARION, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO OF INDIANA, INC.)
- WTUR (89.7 FM; UPLAND, IN; Owner: TAYLOR UNIVERSITY, INC.)
- WLBC-FM (104.1 FM; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: MUNCIE SABRECOM, INC.)
- WBST (92.1 FM; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WWDS (90.5 FM; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: DELAWARE COMMUNITY SCHOOL CORP.)
- WMDH-FM (102.5 FM; NEW CASTLE, IN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCJC (99.3 FM; VAN BUREN, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WERK (104.9 FM; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: INDIANA SABRECOM, INC.)
- WBSW (90.9 FM; MARION, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- W299AJ (107.7 FM; MARION, IN; Owner: FRIENDS OF CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- WNUY (100.1 FM; BLUFFTON, IN; Owner: WELLS COUNTY RADIO CORP.)
- WHTI (96.7 FM; ALEXANDRIA, IN; Owner: INDIANA SABRECOM, INC.)
- WBSB (89.5 FM; ANDERSON, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WZBD (92.7 FM; BERNE, IN; Owner: ADAMS COUNTY RADIO, INC)
- WBSJ (91.7 FM; PORTLAND, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WPGW-FM (100.9 FM; PORTLAND, IN; Owner: WPGW, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Hartford City:
- WIWU-LP (Channel 51; MARION, IN; Owner: IWU COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSOT-LP (Channel 57; MARION, IN; Owner: SUNNYCREST MEDIA, INC.)
- WTTK (Channel 29; KOKOMO, IN; Owner: TRIBUNE BROADCAST HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WIPB (Channel 49; MUNCIE, IN; Owner: BALL STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WNDY-TV (Channel 23; MARION, IN; Owner: UPN STATIONS GROUP INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 7Number of bridges
- 14m46ftTotal length
- $450,000Total costs
- 16,536Total average daily traffic
- 1,125Total average daily truck traffic
- 22,104Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 54
- Hazardous Condition: 89
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Hartford City
|Most common first names in Hartford City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hartford City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Hartford City, IN|
|Burger King||1||Pizza Hut||1|
Hartford City on our top lists:
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Nonmetallic mineral products (population 5,000+)"
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Nonmetallic mineral products (population 5,000+)"
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Music stores (population 5,000+)"
- #10 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (population 5,000+)"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Customer service representatives (population 5,000+)"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Customer service representatives (population 5,000+)"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest ratio of murders to rapes between 2001 and 2006 (population 5,000+)"
- #44 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most White Non-Hispanic residents (pop 5,000+)"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest ratio of rapes to murders between 2001 and 2006"
- #95 on the list of "Top 100 least racially diverse cities (pop. 5,000+)"
Total of 9 patent applications in 2008-2015.