Hartford, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.8 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12838.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,930 (it was $16,969 in 2000)
Hartford town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $156,985 (it was $86,600 in 2000)
Races in Hartford, NY (2010)
- 2,20697.2%White alone
- 170.7%Two or more races
- 60.3%Asian alone
- 50.2%Black alone
- 20.09%American Indian alone
|New Hartford NY area apartments (25 replies)|
|If New York State is so bad, why do we live here? (575 replies)|
|Whitesboro vs. New Hartford near Utica (8 replies)|
|15 questions about the Thruway cities (238 replies)|
|EXTREME out-migration of population from NYC.....over 500,000 people lost since 2010 (48 replies)|
|Looking to move upstate ny (54 replies)|
Latest news from Hartford, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (17.7%), French (16.9%), English (16.6%), United States (7.8%), German (7.6%), French Canadian (7.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 390 feet
Land area: 43.4 square miles.
Population density: 52 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hartford:
- High school or higher: 83.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hartford town:
- Never married: 23.6%
- Now married: 63.7%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 6.4%
19 residents are foreign born
According to our research of New York and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Hartford, New York as of November 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hartford to the number of sex offenders is 2,299 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hartford town:||2.2% ($1,872)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (46.6 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (137.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (175.3 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Fort Ann, NY (2.4 miles ), Hebron, NY (2.4 miles ), Granville, NY (2.8 miles ), Kingsbury, NY (2.9 miles ), Argyle, NY (3.1 miles ), Hudson Falls, NY (3.1 miles ), Pawlet, VT (3.2 miles ), Fort Edward, NY (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 43.36 N, Longitude: 73.41 W
Area code: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Paper (8%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (4%)
- Health care (14%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Hartford, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hartford-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 65% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 31.7 miles away from the Hartford town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
On 6/24/1960, a category F3 tornado 34.4 miles away from the town center injured 9 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hartford-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 62.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 79.7 miles away from Hartford center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 91.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 79.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 59.1 miles away from Hartford center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 81.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charles Fraser MacLean - Judge on the New York Supreme Court, Cyrus D. Prescott - Politician, Raymond Macdonald Alden - Scholar and educator.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipients born in Hartford: Charles F. Cleveland, William H. Walling.
Hospitals and medical centers near Hartford:
- INDIAN RIVER REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; GRANVILLE, NY)
- EMMA LAING STEVENS HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 9 miles away; GRANVILLE, NY)
- WASHINGTON COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH CHHA (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; HUDSON FALLS, NY)
- WASHINGTON COUNTY HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE PROGRA (Hospital, about 11 miles away; HUDSON FALLS, NY)
- THE PINES AT GLENS FALLS CTR FOR NRSG AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; GLENS FALLS, NY)
- AIM SERVICES, INC (Hospital, about 13 miles away; SOUTH GLENS FALLS, NY)
- GLENS FALLS HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; GLENS FALLS, NY)
Amtrak stations near Hartford:
- 11 miles: FORT EDWARD/GLENS FALLS (FORT EDWARD, EAST ST.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 14 miles: WHITEHALL (MAIN ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 18 miles: FAIR HAVEN (DEPOT & WATER STS.)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hartford:
- Adirondack Community College (about 13 miles; Queensbury, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,826)
- Castleton State College (about 21 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Skidmore College (about 27 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 28 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 46 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- Union College (about 46 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
- Williams College (about 46 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
Public high school in Hartford:
- Hartford Central School (Students: 516; Location: PO BOX 79; Grades: PK-12; Our rating: 61)
Public elementary/middle school in Hartford:
- Hartford Central District School (Location: PO BOX 79)
Notable locations in Hartford: Brookefield Farm (A), B and C Farms (B), Milton Farms (C), Pole Valley Players Club (D), Hartford Volunteer Fire Company (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Hartford: Hartford Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Adamsville Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Lily Pond (A), Halls Pond (B), Cedar Swamp (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hartford and their reported violations in the past:HARTFORD TOWN TAVERN (Population served: 60, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
- One regular monitoring violation
|This town:||2.7 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Hartford compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (68%)
- Wood (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hartford town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||1.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||4.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,003 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Warren County, NY||1.91% ($26,057 average AGI)|
|from Saratoga County, NY||1.42% ($33,385)|
|from Rutland County, VT||0.25% ($27,850)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,699 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hartford:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWSC (1450 AM; 1 kW; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WMML (1230 AM; 1 kW; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WSYB (1380 AM; 5 kW; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABY (1160 AM; 5 kW; MECHANICVILLE, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WVNR (1340 AM; 1 kW; POULTNEY, VT; Owner: PINE TREE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WENU (1410 AM; 1 kW; SOUTH GLEN FALLS, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hartford:
- WLJH (90.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE INC)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WNYV (94.1 FM; WHITEHALL, NY; Owner: PINE TREE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCQL (95.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WKRD (93.7 FM; SCOTIA, NY; Owner: DOT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Hartford:
- WNCE-CA (Channel 8; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- W47CM (Channel 47; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
Hartford fatal accident list:
Oct 21, 2006 01:53 PM, Shine Hill Rd., Lat: 43.32427, Lon: -73.46193, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 8, 2003 06:13 PM, Sr-40, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Apr 2, 2000 06:15 AM, Warren Rd, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Oct 21, 1999 00:42 AM, Sr-40, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Nov 22, 1998 11:32 AM, Sr-40, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jul 3, 1997 02:54 PM, 40, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- $2,209,000Total costs
- 1,520Total average daily traffic
- 119Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,219Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Lat: 43.346167 Lon: -73.421500, Call Sign: WPWJ838
Assigned Frequencies: 452.187 MHz, 457.187 MHz
Grant Date: 12/03/2002, Expiration Date: 12/03/2012, Cancellation Date: 02/02/2013, Certifier: Pete Russell
Registrant: Cara Enterprises Inc, Salt Lake City, UT 84117-0503, Phone: (801) 278-9728, Fax: (801) 278-7239
- 4704 Route 40 & 149 (Lat: 43.360833 Lon: -73.396444), Type: Mast, Structure height: 9 m, Overall height: 10.5 m, Call Sign: WQJF423
Assigned Frequencies: 72.4000 MHz
Grant Date: 08/19/2008, Expiration Date: 08/19/2018, Certifier: Thomas Abraham
Registrant: Primex Wireless, Inc, 965 Wells St, Lake Geneva, WI 53147, Phone: (800) 537-0464
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: K2MQJ, Licensee ID: L01384631
Grant Date: 03/28/2008, Expiration Date: 05/27/2018, Certifier: William B Sheets
Registrant: William B Sheets, Hartford, NY 12838
- Call Sign: KA4DRX, Licensee ID: L00475988
Grant Date: 09/22/2008, Expiration Date: 10/14/2018, Certifier: James D Christman
Registrant: James D Christman, Hartford, NY 12838
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150L (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 10878 , Serial Number: 15075102, Year manufactured: 1973, Airworthiness Date: 08/28/1973
Registrant (Partnership): F Douglas Harwood, 287 Gilchrist Hill Rd, Hartford, NY 12838, Other Owners: David M Fearis
- Aircraft: CESSNA 140 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C90 SERIES (95 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2644N , Serial Number: 12902, Year manufactured: 1947, Airworthiness Date: 04/09/1956
Registrant (Individual): Charles E Mcphee, 1 Townsend Rd Apt 3, Hartford, NY 12838
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150M (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 81 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 704RM , Serial Number: 15078814, Year manufactured: 1976, Airworthiness Date: 10/14/1976
Registrant (Co-Owned): F Douglas Harwood, 287 Gilchrist Hill Rd, Hartford, NY 12838, Other Owners: Nicholas Striglia
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Hazardous Condition: 2
|Most common first names in Hartford, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hartford, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.