|Median resident age:||38.6 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 37722
Hartford CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $98,556 (it was $63,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 3,777 (97.3%)
- Hispanic - 50 (1.3%)
- Two or more races - 26 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 11 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 11 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 5 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.08%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1260 feet
Land area: 87.4 square miles.
|Population density: 47 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in Hartford:
- High school or higher: 60.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hartford CCD:
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 8.6%
- Divorced: 14.0%
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Hartford, Tennessee as of January 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hartford to the number of sex offenders is 817 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hartford CCD:||0.6% ($368)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Asheville, NC (38.6 miles , pop. 68,889).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Charlotte, NC (138.9 miles , pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (482.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Dunn Creek, TN (3.2 miles ), Newport, TN (3.3 miles ), Del Rio, TN (3.3 miles ), Pittman Center, TN (3.4 miles ), Fairgarden, TN (3.8 miles ), Chestnut Hill, TN (3.8 miles ), Parrottsville, TN (3.9 miles ), Cove Creek, NC (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 35.81 N, Longitude: 83.18 W
- Construction (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Truck transportation (4%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (4%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (31%)
- Health care (7%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (3%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (13%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (16%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers (4%)
Average climate in Hartford, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hartford-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 53% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/18/1976, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 10.2 miles away from the Hartford place center injured 10 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/11/1963, a category F2 tornado 13.9 miles away from the place center killed one person and injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hartford-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Tennessee state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 43.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 171.2 miles away from Hartford center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 139.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 165.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 166.2 miles away from Hartford center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 317.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cocke County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 9, Heavy Rains: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Hartford:
- SMOKY MOUNTAIN HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE, INC (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- SMOKY MOUNTAIN HOSPICE INC (Hospital, about 10 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- BAPTIST CONVALESCENT CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- TENNOVA HEALTHCARE-NEWPORT MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- FMC DIALYSIS NEWPORT (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- VIP HOME NURSING REHAB SERVICE INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
- NEWPORT HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; NEWPORT, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hartford:
- Walters State Community College (about 29 miles; Morristown, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,359)
- Tusculum College (about 35 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Western Carolina University (about 37 miles; Cullowhee, NC; FT enrollment: 8,684)
- University of North Carolina at Asheville (about 38 miles; Asheville, NC; FT enrollment: 3,312)
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College (about 39 miles; Asheville, NC; FT enrollment: 6,992)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 44 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 56 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
Public elementary/middle school in Hartford:
- Grassy Fork Elementary School (Students: 121; Location: 4120 Big Creek Road; Grades: K-8)
Notable locations in Hartford: Snakeden Mountain Campsite (A), Cosby Ranger Station (B), Dayenport Gap Appalachian Trail Shelter (C), Davenport Gap Appalachian Trail Shelter (D), Kyle Carver Orchards (E), Gilliland Creek Campsite (F), Otter Creek Campsite (G), Sugar Cove Campsite (H), Cosby Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (I), Cosby Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (J), Davenport Gap Shelter (K), Grassy Fork Volunteer Fire Department (L). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hartford include: Catons Grove Methodist Church (A), New Prospect Baptist Church (B), Laurel Spring Church (C), Andrews Chapel (D), Browns Baptist Church (E), Allen Grove Church (F), McMillan Church (G), Moraine Seminary Church (H), Ogle Chapel (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Johnson Cemetery (1), Mack Cemetery (2), Gunter Cemetery (3), Campbell Cemetery (4), Abe Cemetery (5), Valentine Cemetery (6), Tritt Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Maddron Creek (A), Long Branch (B), Indian Camp Creek (C), Jones Branch (D), Shoestring Branch (E), Stillhouse Branch (F), Tinker Branch (G), Toms Creek (H), Turnalay Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 69.1. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 24.3. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.13. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.7 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Hartford compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (55%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (20%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (12%)
- Wood (11%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Religion statistics for Hartford CCD (based on Cocke County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 44.62%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Churches of Christ||Catholic Church||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cocke County:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cocke County:||1.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cocke County:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
5.76% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200530,623 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Sevier County, TN||0.84% ($21,525 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, TN||0.74% ($22,764)|
|from Hamblen County, TN||0.47% ($23,035)|
4.89% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200627,410 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hartford:
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WKJV (1380 AM; 25 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: INTERNATIONAL BAPTIST OUTREACH MISSIONS)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSEV (930 AM; 5 kW; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WOXL (970 AM; 5 kW; CANTON, NC; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- WWNC (570 AM; 5 kW; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WNPC (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INCORPORATED)
- WGCR (720 AM; daytime; 10 kW; PISGAH FOREST, NC; Owner: ANCHOR BAPTIST BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hartford:
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WNPC-FM (92.9 FM; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: HARRIS BROADCASTING INC DBA WNPC INC)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQNS (104.9 FM; WAYNESVILLE, NC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WKSF (99.9 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W220CD (91.9 FM; ENKA, NC; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WMIT (106.9 FM; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSEV-FM (105.5 FM; GATLINBURG, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WNCW (88.7 FM; SPINDALE, NC; Owner: ISOTHERMAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WFQS (91.3 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WWCU (90.5 FM; CULLOWHEE, NC; Owner: WESTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WCQS (88.1 FM; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCVP-FM (95.9 FM; ROBBINSVILLE, NC; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNCC-FM (96.7 FM; FRANKLIN, NC; Owner: SUTTON RADIOCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAEZ (94.9 FM; GREENEVILLE, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Hartford:
- WASV-TV (Channel 62; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SOUTH CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- W51CK (Channel 51; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WHNS (Channel 21; ASHEVILLE, NC; Owner: MEREDITH CORPORATION)
- WJZC-LP (Channel 22; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Hartford Mnws (Lat: 35.817500 Lon: -83.145000), Type: Pole, Structure height: 16 m, Call Sign: WPCH361
Assigned Frequencies: 465.100 MHz
Grant Date: 02/22/2013, Expiration Date: 05/20/2023, Certifier: Richard A Donaldson
Registrant: Duke Energy Carolinas, LLC, 1934 Augistine Ave., Covington, KY 41014, Phone: (859) 815-6413, Email:
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1
- 1390 Ike Wright Road (Lat: 35.874444 Lon: -83.153889), Type: Upole, Structure height: 15 m, Call Sign: WPRT804
Assigned Frequencies: 459.600 MHz
Grant Date: 01/25/2001, Expiration Date: 01/25/2011, Cancellation Date: 05/04/2006, Certifier: Stanley C Thompson
Registrant: Bellsouth Telecommunications, Inc, 22j64 Bsc 675 West Peachtree St, Ne, Atlanta, GA 30375, Phone: (404) 927-2692, Fax: (404) 522-7665, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KC4YXN
Grant Date: 04/09/1991, Expiration Date: 04/09/2001, Cancellation Date: 04/10/2003
Registrant: William F Ball, Rt 1 Box 61, Hartford, TN 37753
- Call Sign: KE4BEJ, Licensee ID: L00691435
Grant Date: 08/08/2003, Expiration Date: 08/17/2013
Registrant: Dawn C Carter, 3770 Trail Hollow Road, Hartford, TN 37753
- Call Sign: N1TBF, Licensee ID: L00876852
Grant Date: 06/24/2004, Expiration Date: 09/13/2014, Certifier: Luc R R De Mey
Registrant: Luc R R De Mey, 3770 Trail Hollow Rd, Hartford, TN 37753
- Call Sign: KJ4CIL, Licensee ID: L01374157
Grant Date: 02/27/2008, Expiration Date: 02/27/2018, Certifier: Thomas P Harp Jr
Registrant: Thomas P Harp Jr, Hartford, TN 37753
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: LANGFORD STEPHEN M FLYBABY 1-A (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 20987 , Serial Number: LB5258-1A
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, 3096 Angle Way, Hartford, TN 37753
Deregistered: Cancel Date: 12/05/1995, Exported to: Mexico
- Aircraft: CESSNA 310B (Category: Land, Engines: 2, Seats: 5, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 167 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6602B , Serial Number: 35702, Year manufactured: 1958, Airworthiness Date: 04/14/1958
Registrant (Individual): Adele M Mcdonald, 3881 Green Corner Rd, Hartford, TN 37753
- Aircraft: MCFALL PATRICK ALAN KR 2 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 88KR , Serial Number: 1
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, 3496 Angle Way, Hartford, TN 37753
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 16
- Hazardous Condition: 14
Incident types - Hartford
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2014.