We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||49.8 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01346.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $39,317 (it was $24,777 in 2000)
Heath town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $228,668 (it was $122,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $254,045; Detached houses: $264,125; Townhouses or other attached units: $219,950; In 2-unit structures: $222,435; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $204,584; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $487,647; Mobile homes: $43,609
Races in Heath, MA (2010)
- 68096.3%White alone
- 121.7%Two or more races
- 30.4%Black alone
- 10.1%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The most expensive homes are getting cheaper May 29
- Why is Florida now third among the most populous states? May 27
- Fast food chains growth is largest in the sector May 25
- Hard market: consumption and production of cement May 23
- The number of attached homes has been declining since the 2007 crash May 21
|Blighted/Decayed areas in Boston??? (109 replies)|
|Where are the "hoods" at in Boston? (59 replies)|
|Why Would You or Wouldn’t You Choose to Live More Rurally? (63 replies)|
|If you could live in any town in the Northeast... (52 replies)|
|Central and/or Western MA: what do you like? (46 replies)|
|Shooting in Roxbury (108 replies)|
Latest news from Heath, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (19.5%), Irish (19.0%), Italian (16.4%), French (15.7%), German (14.9%), French Canadian (8.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1785
Elevation: 1680 feet
Land area: 24.9 square miles.
Population density: 28 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Heath:
- High school or higher: 85.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.2%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 35.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Heath town:
- Never married: 22.9%
- Now married: 60.9%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 4.4%
- Divorced: 8.5%
11 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Heath, Massachusetts as of May 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Heath to the number of sex offenders is 796 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Heath town:||1.3% ($1,617)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chicopee, MA (37.2 miles , pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (91.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (138.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Charlemont, MA (2.1 miles ), Rowe, MA (2.2 miles ), Colrain, MA (2.3 miles ), Buckland, MA (2.5 miles ), Shelburne Falls, MA (2.6 miles ), Whitingham, VT (2.7 miles ), Halifax, VT (2.8 miles ), Jacksonville, VT (2.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $132,100
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $148,700
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $105,600
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $80,400
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $108,000
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $147,900
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $131,300
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $233,100
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $297,400
- 2006: 5 buildings, average cost: $145,300
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $264,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $57,400
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $217,900
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $258,000
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $227,700
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $400,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.68 N, Longitude: 72.82 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 413
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Utilities (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Educational services (23%)
- Health care (18%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (3%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Heath, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Heath-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 20% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 35.6 miles away from the Heath town center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 tornado 36.1 miles away from the town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Heath-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 116.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 132.9 miles away from Heath center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 83.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 94.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 35.9 miles away from Heath center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 132.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Hurricanes: 4, Snowstorms: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: William W. Snow - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Heath:
- ANCHORAGE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; SHELBURNE, MA)
- CHARLENE MANOR EXTENDED CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- HOSPICE OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, INC (Hospital, about 12 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- FRANKLIN CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- BUCKLEY-GREENFIELD HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- HOME CARE PRN INC (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- GENTIVA HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
Operable nuclear power plant near Heath:
- 17 miles: Vermont Yankee in Vernon, VT.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Heath:
- Williams College (about 20 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 26 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
- Smith College (about 27 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 32 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Keene State College (about 33 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- Holyoke Community College (about 35 miles; Holyoke, MA; FT enrollment: 4,911)
- Westfield State University (about 38 miles; Westfield, MA; FT enrollment: 5,548)
Notable location: Heath Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: South Cemetery (1), Center Cemetery (2), Maple Grove Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Davenport Brook Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: West Branch Brook (A), Dickenson Brook (B), Davenport Brook (C), Carley Brook (D), Burrington Brook (E), Underwood Brook (F), Kinsman Brook (G), Heath Brook (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 53.7. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 26.0. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 13.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Heath town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||3.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||3.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.07% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,154 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($130 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.03% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampshire County, MA||1.74% ($33,774 average AGI)|
|from Worcester County, MA||0.81% ($33,513)|
|from Hampden County, MA||0.42% ($30,770)|
5.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,267 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($160 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.05% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Heath:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Heath:
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Heath:
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
- W38DL (Channel 38; ADAMS, ETC., MA; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
Heath fatal accident list:
Dec 28, 1987 03:20 PM, No 9 Road, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $3,133,000Total costs
- 800Total average daily traffic
- 68Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,264Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: N1AMW, Grant Date: 04/12/1994, Expiration Date: 04/12/2004, Cancellation Date: 04/14/2006, Registrant: Robert T Markert, Hosmer Rd, Heath, MA 01346
- Call Sign: W1HPQ, Grant Date: 11/28/1995, Expiration Date: 11/28/2005, Cancellation Date: 11/29/2007, Registrant: Russell E Johnson, South Rd, Heath, MA 01346
- Call Sign: KB1RCF, Licensee ID: L01427305, Grant Date: 08/28/2008, Expiration Date: 08/28/2018, Certifier: Ellen L Jenkins, Registrant: Ellen L Jenkins, 51 Bray Rd, Heath, MA 01346
- Call Sign: AB1JX, Licensee ID: L01448699, Grant Date: 12/01/2008, Expiration Date: 12/01/2018, Certifier: Alan R Corey, Registrant: Alan R Corey, 12 Schoolhouse Rd, Heath, MA 01346
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: BURGESS GEORGE LOUIS OSPREY-II (Category: Amphibian, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 6190G , Serial Number: 290
Registrant (Individual): Erich J Holan, 40 Papoose Lake Dr, Heath, MA 01346
Deregistered: Cancel Date: 10/22/1975, Exported to: Canada
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 5
- Hazardous Condition: 8
Incident types - Heath
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (51%)
- Wood (27%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Heath compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.