Helena: blues fest mainstage helena
Helena: old home on the River
Helena: Bridge entering Arkansas
Helena: Historic Horner House
Helena: blues fest helena
Helena: View to Bubba's Bluescorner, 105 CHerry Street, Helena, Ar
Helena: Sight on Cherry Street, Helena, Ar.
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||31.7 years|
|Arkansas median age:||36.0 years|
Zip codes: 72342.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $17,648 (it was $13,028 in 2000)
Helena city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $66,291 (it was $47,600 in 2000)
Races in Helena, AR (2000)
- 4,26967.5%Black alone
- 1,92130.4%White alone
- 380.6%Asian alone
- 330.5%Two or more races
- 80.1%American Indian alone
- 80.1%Other race alone
|Kiwi looking for information about Helena Western-Helena (10 replies)|
|Is Arkansas considered a Midwestern state? (244 replies)|
|Magnolia & Southern AR. (21 replies)|
|How different do you feel Western Arkansas is from Eastern Arkansas? (28 replies)|
|Is AR welcoming to professional, progressive minorities. (23 replies)|
|Just wanted to say.. (31 replies)|
Latest news from Helena, AR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (6.0%), Irish (5.5%), English (4.2%), German (3.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%), Subsaharan African (1.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 11/16/1833
Elevation: 198 feet
Land area: 8.90 square miles.
Population density: 593 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Helena:
- High school or higher: 62.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.9%
- Unemployed: 15.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Helena city:
- Never married: 34.6%
- Now married: 40.0%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 10.6%
58 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Arkansas and other state lists there were 14 registered sex offenders living in Helena, Arkansas as of October 13, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Helena to the number of sex offenders is 377 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Helena city:||1.0% ($497)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Memphis, TN (54.3 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (375.5 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Helena-West Helena, AR (1.1 miles ), West Helena, AR (1.7 miles ), Lula, MS (2.9 miles ), Lexa, AR (3.1 miles ), Friars Point, MS (3.4 miles ), LaGrange, AR (3.4 miles) , Coahoma, MS (3.5 miles ), Lake View, AR (3.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $90,000
- 1998: 26 buildings, average cost: $52,400
- 1999: 28 buildings, average cost: $52,300
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $55,000
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $51,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $75,000
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,200
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $187,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 34.53 N, Longitude: 90.60 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,209 (+19.1%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 845 (47.7%)
Area code: 870
|Crime rates in Helena by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.3)||822.2||840.4||1073.7||736.8||548.6||731.1||756.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Helena detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.90|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Public administration (11%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Construction (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Other transportation, and support activities, and couriers (6%)
- Health care (6%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (18%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Health care (12%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Private households (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Helena, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Helena-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Arkansas state average. It is 80% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/1963, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 7.6 miles away from the Helena city center killed 5 people and injured 10 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/29/1956, a category F3 tornado 8.2 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Helena-area historical earthquake activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 78.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 147.6 miles away from Helena center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 101.5 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 101.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 112.7 miles away from Helena center
On 3/25/1976 at 01:00:11, a magnitude 4.5 (4.1 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 75.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Phillips County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 8, Floods: 6, Tornadoes: 6, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Blanche Lincoln - politician, Ken Hatfield - College football player, Leotis Martin - Boxer, Bruce Bennett (Arkansas politician) - Soilder, John Stroger - Politician, Red Holloway - Jazz tenor saxophonist, Robert Lockwood, Jr. - Delta blues guitarist, Robert Nighthawk - Blues musician, Roberta Martin - Gospel singer, William Warfield - Opera singer.
Hospitals and medical centers in Helena:
- HELENA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (Proprietary, provides emergency services, 1801 MARTIN LUTHER KING DRIVE)
- SOUTHEAST ARKANSAS HOSPICE-PHILLIPS COUNTY (629 OAKLAND AVENUE)
- FMCNA - HELENA (108 D ANNA PL)
- REGIONAL HOME CARE HELENA (119 HICKORY HILL)
- CRESTPARK HELENA, LLC (116 NOVEMBER DRIVE)
- CRESTPARK OF HELENA-SKILLED (116 NOVEMBER DR BOX 310)
- CRESTPARK RETIREMENT HELENA, LLC (111 HOSPITAL DRIVE)
Heliports located in Helena:
College/University in Helena:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Helena:
- Coahoma Community College (about 19 miles; Clarksdale, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,284)
- Northwest Mississippi Community College (about 37 miles; Senatobia, MS; FT enrollment: 6,607)
- Southwest Tennessee Community College (about 54 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 8,043)
- University of Memphis (about 54 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 17,427)
- Delta State University (about 55 miles; Cleveland, MS; FT enrollment: 3,304)
- Rhodes College (about 56 miles; Memphis, TN; FT enrollment: 2,052)
- University of Mississippi (about 62 miles; University, MS; FT enrollment: 17,642)
Public high school in Helena:
Public elementary/middle schools in Helena:
Notable locations in Helena: Phillips County Museum (A), Phillips County Courthouse (B), Helena City Hall (C), Estevan Hall (D), Delta Cultural Center (E), Helena Fire Department (F), Arkansas Street Fire Station (G), Helena Public Library (H), Phillips County Community Center (I), Fern Hill Fire Station (J), Pafford Emergency Medical Services - West Helena (K), Helena Police Department (L), Phillips County Sheriff's Office (M). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Helena include: First Baptist Church (A), First United Methodist Church (B), Morning Star Church (C), Saint Johns Episcopal Church (D), Silver Cloud Church (E), Springdale Church (F), Calvary Baptist Church (G), Centennial Baptist Church (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Magnolia Cemetery (1), Maple Hill Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Heritage Hill Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Helena include: Perry Street Historic District (1), Beech Street Historic District (2), Cherry Street Historic District (3), Eliza Miller Park (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Super 8 Motel (1007 Martin Luther King J), Edwardian Inn (317 Biscoe Street), Magnolia Hill Bed & Breakfast (608 Perry Street).
Courts: U S Government - Judge District Court (617 Walnut), Helena City - Municipal Court (226 Perry Street), U S Government - Clerk District Court (617 Walnut).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2011 was 52.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 10.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 0.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Helena and their reported violations in the past:HELENA WATER SEWER (Population served: 5,800, Groundwater):
Past health violations:LAKE VIEW MUNICIPAL WATER (Population served: 756, Groundwater):
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-05-2010), St Public Notif received (MAR-05-2010), St Compliance achieved (2 times from MAY-13-2010 to MAR-02-2011)
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In MAR-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-06-2011), St Compliance achieved (OCT-31-2011)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In FEB-2007, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-20-2007), St Compliance achieved (NOV-24-2009)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-2007, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule
- One routine major monitoring violation
- 3 minor monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Helena that have no violations reported:
- LONG LAKE WATER ASSOCIATION (Population served: 500, Primary Water Source Type: Purch groundwater)
|This city:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
People in group quarters in Helena in 2000:
- 121 people in nursing homes
- 69 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 50 people in homes for the mentally ill
- 20 people in other group homes
Helena compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Helena (2011 data):
- Helena National Bank: Mid City Branch at 623 Oakland Avenue, branch established on 1973/05/14; at 302 Cherry Street, branch established on 1940/04/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $175.4 mil, Deposits: $149.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Helena Bancshares, Inc.
- Southern Bancorp Bank: Cherry Street Branch at 502 Cherry Street, branch established on 2003/07/10. Info updated 2010/06/01: Bank assets: $1,146.8 mil, Deposits: $966.8 mil, headquarters in Arkadelphia, AR, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 40 total offices, Holding Company: Southern Bancorp, Inc
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (78%)
- Electricity (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Helena city (based on Phillips County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Phillips County:||3.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Phillips County:||0.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||0.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|Phillips County:||2.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$32,219||$38,663||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$2,708||$32,496||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||4||$4,171|
|Solid Waste Management||4||$7,920||$23,760||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||11||$21,054||$22,968||0||$0|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||12||$4,583|
|Totals for Government||47||$109,308||$27,908||16||$8,754|
Helena government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $737,000 ($139.72)
Financial Administration: $527,000 ($99.91)
Regular Highways: $499,000 ($94.60)
Sewerage: $484,000 ($91.75)
Water Utilities: $484,000 ($91.75)
Fire Protection: $355,000 ($67.30)
Solid Waste Management: $345,000 ($65.40)
Parks & Recreation: $137,000 ($25.97)
Central Staff Services: $55,000 ($10.43)
Judicial and Legal Services: $22,000 ($4.17)
General Public Buildings: $3,000 ($0.57)
- General - Interest on Debt: $513,000 ($97.25)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $104,000 ($19.72)
Regular Highways: $30,000 ($5.69)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,851,000 ($350.90)
Helena government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $460,000 ($87.20)
Solid Waste Management: $347,000 ($65.78)
All Other: $16,000 ($3.03)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($0.38)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $930,000 ($176.30)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $509,000 ($96.49)
General Revenue, NEC: $136,000 ($25.78)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $636,000 ($120.57)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $457,000 ($86.64)
General Support: $169,000 ($32.04)
All Other: $28,000 ($5.31)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $520,000 ($98.58)
Public Utilities: $354,000 ($67.11)
Property: $332,000 ($62.94)
NEC: $43,000 ($8.15)
Helena government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Industrial Revenue: $7,159,000 ($1357.16)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $6,994,000 ($1325.88)
- Long Term Debt Retired Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $165,000 ($31.28)
Helena government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $372,000 ($70.52)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $6,994,000 ($1325.88)
5.10% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($21,715 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Pulaski County, AR||0.55% ($14,000 average AGI)|
|from Shelby County, TN||0.33% ($17,682)|
|from Tunica County, MS||0.27% ($14,722)|
6.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,707 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Helena:
- KFFA (1360 AM; 1 kW; HELENA, AR; Owner: DELTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KXJK (950 AM; 5 kW; FORREST CITY, AR; Owner: FORREST CITY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJCE (680 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: ENTERCOM MEMPHIS LICENSE, LLC)
- KWAM (990 AM; 10 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WSAO (1140 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SENATOBIA, MS; Owner: JESSE C. ROSS AND ERNESTINE A. ROSS)
- WPLX (1170 AM; 10 kW; GERMANTOWN, TN; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Helena:
- KFFA-FM (103.1 FM; HELENA, AR; Owner: DELTA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJIW-FM (94.5 FM; HELENA, AR; Owner: ELIJAH MONDY,JR.)
- KCLT (104.9 FM; WEST HELENA, AR; Owner: WEST HELENA B/CASTERS)
- KVRN (90.7 FM; MARVELL, AR; Owner: EAST ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WAID (106.5 FM; CLARKSDALE, MS; Owner: RADIO CLEVELAND, INC.)
- WWUN-FM (101.5 FM; CLARKSDALE, MS; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- KAKJ (105.3 FM; MARIANNA, AR; Owner: L.T. SIMES II & RAYMOND SIMES)
- WKXY (92.1 FM; CLARKSDALE, MS; Owner: CLARKSDALE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 29 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Helena, AR)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Helena)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 2 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Helena)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 12 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 48
- Hazardous Condition: 7
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Helena
|Most common first names in Helena, AR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Helena, AR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Helena, AR|
Helena on our top lists:
- #60 on the list of "Top 100 least-safe cities (highest city-data.com crime index) (pop. 5,000+)"
- #84 (72342) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Alsatian first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.