We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.3 years|
|Kentucky median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 42050.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,834 (it was $11,573 in 2000)
Hickman city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $51,613 (it was $37,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $407.
Races in Hickman, KY (2010)
- 1,51863.4%White alone
- 81534.0%Black alone
- 321.3%Two or more races
- 30.1%American Indian alone
- 30.1%Other race alone
|Driving/Touring the Purchase..Paducah to Hickman (3 replies)|
|Lexington Kentucky and suburbs schools? (65 replies)|
|tell me about Fulton, KY (50 replies)|
|Kentucky obesity problem. What can be done? (45 replies)|
|Hickman Kentucky (17 replies)|
|Murray transporation (13 replies)|
Latest news from Hickman, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (20.4%), Irish (13.3%), German (8.2%), English (7.5%), Subsaharan African (4.8%), French (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 02/18/1841
Elevation: 460 feet
Land area: 3.56 square miles.
Population density: 631 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hickman:
- High school or higher: 71.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 13.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hickman city:
- Never married: 28.4%
- Now married: 44.7%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 15.4%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there were 13 registered sex offenders living in Hickman, Kentucky as of October 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hickman to the number of sex offenders is 177 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $549 (1.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $279 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, TN (67.8 miles , pop. 59,643).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (109.5 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (373.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Woodland Mills, TN (2.7 miles ), Dixie, TN (2.8 miles ), Cayce, KY (2.9 miles) , Union City, TN (3.5 miles ), Clinton, KY (3.6 miles ), Pinhook, MO (3.6 miles) , Columbus, KY (3.8 miles ), Troy, TN (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $38,000
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $43,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $47,700
- 2004: 10 buildings, average cost: $58,600
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $29,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 36.57 N, Longitude: 89.19 W
Area code: 270
|Crime rates in Hickman by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 308.5)||135.9||85.4||157.2||225.5||143.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hickman detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.36|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -125 (-4.7%).
- Manufacturing (32%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (23%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Production occupations (21%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (13%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (10%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations (4%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
Average climate in Hickman, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hickman-area historical tornado activity is above Kentucky state average. It is 91% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/22/1981, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 24.4 miles away from the Hickman city center killed one person and injured 32 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/1/1997, a category F4 tornado 30.9 miles away from the city center injured 15 people and caused $2 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hickman-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 35.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 45.8 miles away from Hickman center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 148.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 90.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 22.0 miles away from Hickman center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 50.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Fulton County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 8, Floods: 7, Tornadoes: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Mudslides: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snow: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Elvis Jacob Stahr, Jr. - Government official and college president.
Hospitals and medical centers near Hickman:
- OBION COUNTY NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; UNION CITY, TN)
- ARBOR PLACE OF CLINTON (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CLINTON, KY)
- BIRCHTREE HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CLINTON, KY)
- WEST KENTUCKY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CLINTON, KY)
- CLINTON-HICKMAN CO HOSP (Hospital, about 13 miles away; CLINTON, KY)
- CLINTON-HICKMAN COUNTY NURSING FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CLINTON, KY)
- EXTENDICARE HOME HEALTH OF WESTERN TN (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; UNION CITY, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hickman:
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 24 miles; Martin, TN; Full-time enrollment: 7,013)
- Dyersburg State Community College (about 38 miles; Dyersburg, TN; FT enrollment: 2,211)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 45 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
- Bethel University (about 48 miles; McKenzie, TN; FT enrollment: 5,878)
- Murray State University (about 49 miles; Murray, KY; FT enrollment: 8,930)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 56 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- Union University (about 65 miles; Jackson, TN; FT enrollment: 4,051)
Public high school in Hickman:
- Fulton County High School (Students: 246; Location: 2740 Moscow Ave; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Hickman:
Notable location: Hickman Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Henson Broom Shop (Museums; 101 Clinton Street).
Courts: Fulton County - Circuit Court Clerk (202 East Moulton Street), Kentucky State - Administrative Office of the Courts- Court Designated Wo (202 East Moulton Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2003 was 91.4. This is worse than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 3.30. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.0 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 1.35. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.0 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2003 was 34.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 1.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hickman and their reported violations in the past:HICKMAN WATER DEPARTMENT (Population served: 3,191, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-11-2004, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-22-2005), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-22-2005), St Public Notif received (JUN-22-2006), St Compliance achieved (OCT-05-2007)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - In FEB-01-2004, Contaminant: DBP Stage 1. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUN-02-2005), St Formal NOV issued (JUN-02-2005), St Compliance achieved (OCT-25-2005), St Public Notif received (OCT-25-2005)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2003, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-10-2006), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-10-2006), St Public Notif received (AUG-13-2007), St Compliance achieved (OCT-05-2007)
- 4 minor monitoring violations
(16.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 52.0% for Black residents, 4.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 82.4% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
7 people in military treatment facilities with assigned patients in 2010
189 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Hickman compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Hickman (2011 data):
- The Citizens Bank: at 1522 Union City Highway, branch established on 1930/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $109.5 mil, Deposits: $91.0 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Bancorp Of Hickman, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (68%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Wood (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hickman city (based on Fulton County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Fulton County:||2.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Fulton County:||4.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$12,809||$38,427||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||14||$34,608||$29,664||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||18||$47,417||$31,611||0||$0|
Hickman government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $48,000 ($21.32)
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $846,000 ($375.83)
General - Other: $529,000 ($235.01)
Water Utilities: $457,000 ($203.02)
Central Staff Services: $316,000 ($140.38)
Sewerage: $308,000 ($136.83)
Health Services - Other: $286,000 ($127.05)
Police Protection: $197,000 ($87.52)
Solid Waste Management: $125,000 ($55.53)
Financial Administration: $109,000 ($48.42)
Regular Highways: $91,000 ($40.43)
Fire Protection: $50,000 ($22.21)
- General - Interest on Debt: $277,000 ($123.06)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $992,000 ($440.69)
Sewerage: $12,000 ($5.33)
Police Protection: $11,000 ($4.89)
General - Other: $3,000 ($1.33)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,100,000 ($932.92)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $22,000 ($9.77)
Hickman government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $398,000 ($176.81)
Sewerage: $268,000 ($119.06)
Solid Waste Management: $130,000 ($57.75)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $14,000 ($6.22)
General Support: $10,000 ($4.44)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $324,000 ($143.94)
General Revenue, NEC: $71,000 ($31.54)
Rents: $9,000 ($4.00)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $1,003,000 ($445.58)
Water Utilities: $389,000 ($172.81)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $1,055,000 ($468.68)
Highways: $39,000 ($17.33)
- Tax - Individual Income: $230,000 ($102.18)
Property: $102,000 ($45.31)
NEC: $61,000 ($27.10)
Public Utilities: $23,000 ($10.22)
Motor Vehicle License: $17,000 ($7.55)
Hickman government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Industrial Revenue: $4,625,000 ($2054.64)
Water Utilities: $389,000 ($172.81)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $4,230,000 ($1879.16)
Water Utilities: $379,000 ($168.37)
- Long Term Debt Retired Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $395,000 ($175.48)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $10,000 ($4.44)
Hickman government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $911,000 ($404.71)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $4,230,000 ($1879.16)
7.90% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,172 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Obion County, TN||2.71% ($21,586 average AGI)|
|from Graves County, KY||0.80% ($21,353)|
|from Weakley County, TN||0.51% ($22,727)|
8.55% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($20,984 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hickman:
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WENK (1240 AM; 1 kW; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: WENK OF UNION CITY, INC.)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KRHW (1520 AM; 5 kW; SIKESTON, MO)
- KOTC (830 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KENNETT, MO; Owner: EAGLE BLUFF ENTERPRISES)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WMQM (1600 AM; 50 kW; LAKELAND, TN; Owner: WMQM, INC.)
- WKZT (1270 AM; 1 kW; FULTON, KY; Owner: RIVER COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPAD (1560 AM; 10 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hickman:
- WQAK (105.7 FM; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: TWIN STATES BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYVY (104.9 FM; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: TWIN STATES BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWKF (99.3 FM; FULTON, KY; Owner: WENK OF UNION CITY, INC.)
- WBEL (88.5 FM; CAIRO, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WKBG (102.1 FM; CLINTON, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WASL (100.1 FM; DYERSBURG, TN; Owner: DR PEPPER PEPSI-COLA BOTTLING CO.)
- KTMO (106.5 FM; NEW MADRID, MO; Owner: POLLACK BROADCASTING CO.)
- WCMT-FM (101.7 FM; MARTIN, TN; Owner: THUNDERBOLT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KYMO-FM (105.3 FM; EAST PRAIRIE, MO; Owner: USHER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Hickman:
- WUWT-CA (Channel 9; UNION CITY, TN; Owner: JOSEPH H. HARPOLE, SR.)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WPSD-TV (Channel 6; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
Hickman fatal accident list:
Jul 31, 1992 02:22 PM, Cedar, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jan 31, 1975 06:30 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- 6,520Total average daily traffic
- 579Total average daily truck traffic
- 9,009Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:2
- Annette Lefforge, Holley Street (Lat: 36.567500 Lon: -89.175250), Type: 91.4, Overall height: 88.4 m
Registrant: 7707971070, Network.Regulatory@verizonwireless.Com, 1120 SANCTUARY PKWY #150 MCGASA5REG
- Regulatory Manager, Holley Street (Lat: 36.567500 Lon: -89.175250), Type: 91.4, Structure height: 21075 m, Overall height: 88.4 m
Registrant: 7707971070, Network.Regulatory@verizonwireless.Com, 1120 SANCTUARY PKWY #150 MCGASA5REG
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Hickman, KY)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- HICKMAN, Holley Street (Lat: 36.567500 Lon: -89.175250), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 88.4 m, Overall height: 91.4 m, Call Sign: WQQQ741
Assigned Frequencies: 5974.85 MHz
Grant Date: 02/13/2013, Expiration Date: 02/13/2023, Certifier: Charles Cleary
Registrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1
- 700 Magnolia Rd Rear (Lat: 36.574222 Lon: -89.192556), Type: Tower, Overall height: 0 m, Call Sign: WRD695, Licensee ID: L00126932
Assigned Frequencies: 156.800 MHz, 161.825 MHz, 161.975 MHz
Grant Date: 12/01/1995, Expiration Date: 11/09/2000, Cancellation Date: 05/06/2001
Registrant: Wjg Maritel Corporation, 452 Courthouse Rd, Gulfport, MS 39507
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hickman)
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182T (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING IO-540 SER (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1129P , Serial Number: 18281584, Year manufactured: 2005, Airworthiness Date: 05/17/2005
Registrant (Co-Owned): Charles Alexander, 760 Alexander Rd, Hickman, KY 42050, Other Owners: Suzanne Alexander
- Aircraft: QUALLS SCORPION 133 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 50516 , Serial Number: 82634
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, Po Box 131, Hickman, KY 42050
- Aircraft: MAULE M-5-235C (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 108 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-540 SERIES (250 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 9103E , Serial Number: 7099C, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 05/05/1977
Registrant (Individual): Henry Sanger, 1301 Myron Cory Dr, Hickman, KY 42050
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
|Most common first names in Hickman, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hickman, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Hickman, KY
- U-Haul: 1
Hickman on our top lists:
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Plastics and rubber products"
- #24 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)"
- #44 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Occupational and physical therapist assistants and aides"
- #99 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in military barracks, etc."
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"