Hill City, Kansas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||52.1 years|
|Kansas median age:||36.5 years|
Zip codes: 67642.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,714 (it was $16,989 in 2000)
Hill City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $79,572 (it was $42,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $85,568; Detached houses: $88,607; Townhouses or other attached units: $75,347; Mobile homes: $24,769
Median gross rent in 2016: $476.
Races in Hill City, KS (2016)
- 1,21784.3%White alone
- 533.7%Black alone
- 543.7%Two or more races
- 392.7%Asian alone
- 30.2%American Indian alone
|Considering Hays, Kansas...the good, the bad, the ugly (57 replies)|
|Interesting things in western Kansas other than farms and ranches? (16 replies)|
|Northwest Kansas (9 replies)|
|News: "Oil boom strikes Kansas" (20 replies)|
|Rural Kansas Oil News (14 replies)|
|Non-KC Area Kansans Perspectives (41 replies)|
Latest news from Hill City, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (27.0%), American (14.0%), English (11.4%), French (5.3%), Irish (3.7%), French Canadian (3.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 2190 feet
Land area: 0.93 square miles.
Population density: 1,556 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hill City:
- High school or higher: 93.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.5%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 12.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hill City city:
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 57.7%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 11.8%
- Divorced: 11.0%
49 residents are foreign born (0.9% Asia, 0.3% Latin America).
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Hill City, Kansas as of December 09, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Hill City to the number of sex offenders is 481 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,319 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $1,501 (1.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Wichita, KS (178.6 miles , pop. 344,284).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (485.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Bogue, KS (2.9 miles) , Morland, KS (3.5 miles) , Damar, KS (3.8 miles) , Palco, KS (4.1 miles ), Edmond, KS (4.2 miles) , Lenora, KS (4.3 miles ), WaKeeney, KS (4.9 miles ), Zurich, KS (4.9 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $174,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $190,000
Latitude: 39.37 N, Longitude: 99.85 W
Area code: 785
|Crime rates in Hill City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 289.2)||174.1||139.1||147.2||109.5||161.8||191.2||137.6||109.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hill City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.73|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (19%)
- Health care and social assistance (12%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Wholesale trade (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (45%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Accommodation and food services (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (19%)
- Production occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (17%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (8%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
Average climate in Hill City, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hill City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Kansas state average. It is 57% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/27/1951, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.4 miles away from the Hill City city center killed 5 people and injured 100 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/10/1985, a category F4 tornado 24.1 miles away from the city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hill City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Kansas state average. It is 53% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 365.1 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 203.6 miles away from Hill City center
On 5/30/1991 at 22:07:44, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 26.5 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 316.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/15/1995 at 00:31:33, a magnitude 4.1 (3.8 LG, 4.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 183.8 miles away from Hill City center
On 7/15/1992 at 02:56:40, a magnitude 3.3 (3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 44.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Graham County (10) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 5, Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Hill City:
airports located in Hill City:
- Hill City Municipal Airport (HLC) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 100, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 12,500)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hill City:
- Fort Hays State University (about 44 miles; Hays, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,728)
- Barton County Community College (about 90 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 101 miles; Kearney, NE; FT enrollment: 6,047)
- Central Community College (about 131 miles; Grand Island, NE; FT enrollment: 4,159)
- Hutchinson Community College (about 138 miles; Hutchinson, KS; FT enrollment: 4,174)
- Kansas State University (about 176 miles; Manhattan, KS; FT enrollment: 20,703)
- Newman University (about 178 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,066)
Public high school in Hill City:
Public elementary/middle school in Hill City:
- HILL CITY ELEM (Students: 127, Location: 216 N 4TH AVE, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Hill City: Hill City Municipal Power Plant (A), Graham County Sheriff's Office Jail (B), Graham County Courthouse (C), Hill City Police Department (D), Graham County Sheriff's Office (E), Hill City Fire Department (F), Graham County Rural Fire Department Station 1 (G), Graham County Health Department (H), Hill City Oil Museum (I), Graham County Historical Society (J), Graham County Public Library (K), Hill City Town Hall (L), Kansas Department of Transportation (M), Graham County Community Center (N). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hill City include: First Assembly of God Church (A), First Presbyterian Church (B), First Southern Baptist Church (C), Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church (D), Hill City Christian Church (E), Hill City Church of God (F), Hill City United Methodist Church (G), Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church (H), Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Courts: Graham-County - Magistrate Court (410 North Pomeroy Street), Chief Judge 17th Judicial District (410 North Pomeroy Street), Graham-County - Clerk Of District Court (410 North Pomeroy Street).
(8.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 20.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 19.7% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
14 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Hill City in 2000:
- 45 people in nursing homes
- 20 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 4 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Banks with branches in Hill City (2011 data):
- Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hill City: Farmers And Merchants Bank Of Hill C at 120 East Main Street, branch established on 1988/02/18. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $41.7 mil, Deposits: $36.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Stockton Bancshares, Inc.
- The First State Bank: Hill City Branch at 101 East Cherry Street, branch established on 1932/06/24. Info updated 2007/02/28: Bank assets: $299.5 mil, Deposits: $211.8 mil, headquarters in Norton, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Norton Bankshares, Inc.
- Citizens State Bank: Hill City Branch at 521 W Main, branch established on 1999/02/01. Info updated 2009/06/02: Bank assets: $31.2 mil, Deposits: $26.8 mil, headquarters in Morland, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Financial Shares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hill City city (based on Graham County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Graham County:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Hill City, KS Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$9,452||$37,808||6||$845|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||3||$1,058|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$10,966||$32,898||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,489||$29,868||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$2,980||$35,760||2||$2,181|
|Totals for Government||16||$45,286||$33,965||12||$4,584|
Hill City government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - Electric Utilities: $290,000 ($199.45)
Regular Highways: $20,000 ($13.76)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $1,140,000 ($784.04)
Water Utilities: $200,000 ($137.55)
Police Protection: $179,000 ($123.11)
Regular Highways: $169,000 ($116.23)
General - Other: $142,000 ($97.66)
Central Staff Services: $98,000 ($67.40)
Parks and Recreation: $84,000 ($57.77)
Sewerage: $60,000 ($41.27)
Judicial and Legal Services: $48,000 ($33.01)
Air Transportation: $24,000 ($16.51)
Local Fire Protection: $20,000 ($13.76)
- General - Interest on Debt: $18,000 ($12.38)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $125,000 ($85.97)
Parks and Recreation: $20,000 ($13.76)
Sewerage: $20,000 ($13.76)
Regular Highways: $7,000 ($4.81)
General Public Building: $1,000 ($0.69)
Water Utilities: $1,000 ($0.69)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $802,000 ($551.58)
Hill City government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $102,000 ($70.15)
Parks and Recreation: $47,000 ($32.32)
Air Transportation: $32,000 ($22.01)
Solid Waste Management: $3,000 ($2.06)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities: $2,000 ($1.38)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $51,000 ($35.08)
Interest Earnings: $32,000 ($22.01)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $1,368,000 ($940.85)
Water Utilities: $186,000 ($127.92)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $43,000 ($29.57)
General Local Government Support: $8,000 ($5.50)
All Other: $1,000 ($0.69)
- Tax - Property: $380,000 ($261.35)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $240,000 ($165.06)
Public Utilities Sales: $22,000 ($15.13)
Other License: $2,000 ($1.38)
Hill City government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $450,000 ($309.49)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $425,000 ($292.30)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $25,000 ($17.19)
Hill City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $1,340,000 ($921.60)
- Sinking Funds - Cash and Securities: $5,000 ($3.44)
5.37% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,271 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Ellis County, KS||1.09% ($30,250 average AGI)|
4.85% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,660 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Hill City:
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KXXX (790 AM; 5 kW; COLBY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; MCCOOK, NE; Owner: MCCOOK RADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hill City:
- KZNA (90.5 FM; HILL CITY, KS; Owner: KANZA SOCIETY, INC)
- KKQY (101.9 FM; HILL CITY, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC)
- KJLS (103.3 FM; HAYS, KS; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC)
- KFIX (96.9 FM; PLAINVILLE, KS; Owner: HULL BROADCASTING, INC.)
Hill City fatal accident list:
Feb 13, 2004 04:06 PM, Us-283, Cherry St., Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 6Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $462,000Total costs
- 8,660Total average daily traffic
- 1,222Total average daily truck traffic
- 9,713Total future (year 2034) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KC6RRL, Licensee ID: L00671270, Grant Date: 04/12/2013, Expiration Date: 06/08/2023, Certifier: Roland J Cheney, Registrant: Roland J Cheney, 402 S Pomeroy, Hill City, KS 67642-2138
- Call Sign: WB0ZKY, Licensee ID: L00334731, Grant Date: 04/08/2015, Expiration Date: 06/20/2025, Certifier: Lenus E Schuck, Registrant: Lenus E Schuck, 24 Walnut Drive, Hill City, KS 67642
- Call Sign: AB0PL, Previous Call Sign: N3HQ, Licensee ID: L00230493, Grant Date: 07/15/1999, Expiration Date: 07/15/2009, Cancellation Date: 02/21/2001, Certifier: David A Carter, Registrant: David A Carter, 423 North Pomeroy Avenue, Apartment D, Hill City, KS 67642
- Call Sign: NW1KS, Previous Call Sign: AB0PL, Licensee ID: L00230493, Grant Date: 02/21/2001, Expiration Date: 02/21/2011, Cancellation Date: 03/20/2001, Certifier: David A Carter, Registrant: David A Carter, 423 N Pomeroy Ave, Apt D, Hill City, KS 67642
- Call Sign: KD0FHH, Licensee ID: L00766974, Grant Date: 09/30/2008, Expiration Date: 09/30/2018, Certifier: Bryan A Irwin, Registrant: Bryan A Irwin, 1885 310 Ave, Hill City, KS 67642
- Call Sign: N0NM, Previous Call Sign: KC0ZSM, Licensee ID: L01249808, Grant Date: 04/25/2009, Expiration Date: 04/25/2019, Certifier: Raymond L Smee, Registrant: Raymond L Smee, Hill City, KS 67642
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hill City and their reported violations in the past:HILL CITY, CITY OF (Population served: 1,462, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Average - Between JUL-2007 and SEP-2007, Contaminant: Combined Uranium. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAR-14-2007), St Public Notif requested (SEP-07-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-07-2007), St Public Notif received (OCT-02-2007), St Compliance achieved (JAN-24-2008)
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2007 and JUN-2007, Contaminant: Combined Uranium. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAR-14-2007), St Public Notif requested (JUN-07-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-07-2007), St Public Notif received (JUL-02-2007), St Compliance achieved (JAN-24-2008)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 16
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Hill City
|Most common first names in Hill City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hill City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (86%)
- Electricity (11%)
- Wood (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Businesses in Hill City, KS
- Chevrolet: 1
- H&R Block: 1
- MasterBrand Cabinets: 2
Hill City compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
State forum archive:
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2018.