|Median resident age:||44.8 years|
|Pennsylvania median age:||40.1 years|
Zip codes: 15748.
Homer City borough income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $93,720 (it was $64,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $488.
- White alone - 1,673 (98.0%)
- Two or more races - 16 (0.9%)
- Black alone - 6 (0.4%)
- Hispanic - 5 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.2%)
Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Homer City: 87.5 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
|Homer City Vs. Spring Church PA (Indiana CO Vs. Armstrong CO) (2 replies)|
|Wawa vs Sheetz (110 replies)|
|VT family deciding where to relocate in PA - Help! (24 replies)|
|Pittsburgh Area and North - Best BBQ Ribs Place? (27 replies)|
|you pull it auto parts... (16 replies)|
|Drill, drill drill, into the heart of nuclear. (26 replies)|
Latest news from Homer City, PA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (19.8%), Irish (16.6%), Italian (15.4%), English (8.8%), Polish (7.0%), Slovak (7.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 09/26/1872
Elevation: 1080 feet
Land area: 0.56 square miles.
|Population density: 3,017 people per square mile||(average).|
For population 25 years and over in Homer City:
- High school or higher: 90.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Homer City borough:
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 55.6%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 9.8%
- Divorced: 13.1%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Pennsylvania and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Homer City, Pennsylvania as of January 24, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Homer City to the number of sex offenders is 844 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,497 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,536 (1.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pittsburgh, PA (43.6 miles , pop. 334,563).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (215.1 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Lucerne Mines, PA (1.0 miles ), Graceton, PA (1.5 miles ), Coral, PA (1.7 miles ), Black Lick, PA (2.2 miles ), Indiana borough, PA (2.4 miles ), Chevy Chase Heights, PA (2.6 miles ), Jacksonville, PA (2.7 miles ), Armagh, PA (3.0 miles) .
Latitude: 40.54 N, Longitude: 79.16 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +842 (+48.0%)
Workers who live and work in this borough: 172 (21.0%)
Area code: 724
|Crime rates in Homer City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 272.0)||126.3||75.1||42.4||92.9||36.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Homer City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.18|
Population change in the 1990s: -8 (-0.4%).
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Construction (12%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (10%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Educational services (26%)
- Retail trade (17%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (3%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (3%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Homer City, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Homer City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Pennsylvania state average. It is 29% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/3/1980, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.1 miles away from the Homer City borough center injured 140 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 6/2/1998, a category F4 tornado 34.0 miles away from the borough center injured 5 people and caused $6 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Homer City-area historical earthquake activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 92.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 127.6 miles away from Homer City center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 165.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 129.3 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 302.4 miles away from Homer City center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 341.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Indiana County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Steve Demeter - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Homer City:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Homer City:
- BEACON RIDGE, A CHOICE COMM (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
- CAMERON MANOR INC (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
- INDIANA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 5 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
- DCI OF INDIANA (Dialysis Facility, about 5 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
- INDIANA PRESBYTERIAN HOME (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
- JULIA POUND CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
- HERITAGE VISITING NURSE'S AGENCY (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; INDIANA, PA)
Amtrak stations near Homer City:
- 20 miles: JOHNSTOWN (47 WALNUT ST.) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 20 miles: LATROBE (329 KCKINLEY AVE.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, full-service food facilities, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Homer City:
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus (about 6 miles; Indiana, PA; Full-time enrollment: 14,471)
- Wyo Tech-Blairsville (about 8 miles; Blairsville, PA; FT enrollment: 2,602)
- University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown (about 26 miles; Johnstown, PA; FT enrollment: 2,815)
- Seton Hill University (about 27 miles; Greensburg, PA; FT enrollment: 2,167)
- Saint Francis University (about 28 miles; Loretto, PA; FT enrollment: 2,636)
- Westmoreland County Community College (about 31 miles; Youngwood, PA; FT enrollment: 4,669)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Altoona (about 40 miles; Altoona, PA; FT enrollment: 3,656)
Public high schools in Homer City:
Private elementary/middle schools in Homer City:
Notable location: Homer City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creek: Yellow Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Country Cordial Farmhouse (436 Sunflower Lane).
Court: Magisterial District Court Of Indiana County (10 Bryant Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 106. This is significantly worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.409. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 8.53. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 5.9 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 3.80. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 5.9 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 25.4. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 21.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 10.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2009 was 0.0476. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 5.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Homer City and their reported violations in the past:CENTRAL INDIANA CO WATER AUTH (Population served: 3814, Surface_water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring, Routine/Repeat (SWTR-Filter) - In JUN-2005. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-19-2005), St Consent Decree/Judgement (DEC-19-2005)
- M&R Filter Turbidity Reporting - In JUN-2005, Contaminant: IESWTR. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-19-2005), St Consent Decree/Judgement (DEC-19-2005)
- Monitoring, Routine/Repeat (SWTR-Filter) - In MAY-2005. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-15-2005), St Consent Decree/Judgement (DEC-15-2005)
- M&R Filter Turbidity Reporting - In MAY-2005, Contaminant: IESWTR. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-15-2005), St Consent Decree/Judgement (DEC-15-2005)
- Monitoring, Routine/Repeat (SWTR-Filter) - In APR-2005. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-15-2005), St Consent Decree/Judgement (DEC-15-2005)
- One minor monitoring violation
- 19 other older monitoring violations
(6.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 25.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This borough:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
6 people in other group homes in 2000
Homer City compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Homer City (2011 data):
- S&T Bank: Homer City Branch at 34 North Main Street, branch established on 1919/09/05. Info updated 2012/03/14: Bank assets: $4,099.9 mil, Deposits: $3,349.5 mil, headquarters in Indiana, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 60 total offices, Holding Company: S & T Bancorp, Inc.
- First Commonwealth Bank: Homer Center Branch at 2254 Route 119, branch established on 1974/07/30. Info updated 2010/11/23: Bank assets: $5,779.0 mil, Deposits: $4,511.6 mil, headquarters in Indiana, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 112 total offices, Holding Company: First Commonwealth Financial Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (93%)
- Wood (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Electricity (2%)
Religion statistics for Homer City borough (based on Indiana County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 43.17%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Old Order Amish|
|Name||Christian and Missionary Alliance||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Assemblies of God||American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Indiana County:||1.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana County:||0.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana County:||3.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$8,123||$32,492||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$4,683||$28,098||4||$1,353|
|Streets and Highways||2||$5,648||$33,888||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||3||$8,898||$35,592||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$1,948||$23,376||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$306|
|Totals for Government||16||$44,891||$33,668||5||$1,659|
Homer City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $493,000 ($292.23)
Police Protection: $111,000 ($65.80)
General - Other: $79,000 ($46.83)
Regular Highways: $43,000 ($25.49)
Central Staff Services: $32,000 ($18.97)
General Public Buildings: $25,000 ($14.82)
Fire Protection: $25,000 ($14.82)
Solid Waste Management: $16,000 ($9.48)
Financial Administration: $13,000 ($7.71)
Parks & Recreation: $13,000 ($7.71)
Judicial and Legal Services: $4,000 ($2.37)
- Employee Retirement - Total Cash & Deposits: $82,000 ($48.61)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $33,000 ($19.56)
Police Protection: $23,000 ($13.63)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $374,000 ($221.70)
Homer City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $5,000 ($2.96)
Parking Facilities: $3,000 ($1.78)
All Other: $2,000 ($1.19)
- Employee Retirement - Interest Revenue: $44,000 ($26.08)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $1,000 ($0.59)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $19,000 ($11.26)
Interest Earnings: $11,000 ($6.52)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $919,000 ($544.75)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $36,000 ($21.34)
All Other: $19,000 ($11.26)
General Support: $1,000 ($0.59)
- Tax - Property: $117,000 ($69.35)
Individual Income: $97,000 ($57.50)
NEC: $45,000 ($26.67)
Homer City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $0 ($0.00)
- Employee Retirement - Total Other Securities: $471,000 ($279.19)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $296,000 ($175.46)
4.52% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200529,067 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.25% of residents moved from foreign countries($253 average AGI)
Indiana County: 0.25% Pennsylvania average: 0.12%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Westmoreland County, PA||0.56% ($32,086 average AGI)|
|from Cambria County, PA||0.39% ($25,917)|
|from Allegheny County, PA||0.34% ($29,702)|
5.18% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200630,397 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries($173 average AGI)
Indiana County: 0.03% Pennsylvania average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
|to Westmoreland County, PA||0.74% ($31,258 average AGI)|
|to Allegheny County, PA||0.54% ($27,000)|
|to Cambria County, PA||0.41% ($29,414)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Homer City:
- WCCS (1160 AM; 10 kW; HOMER CITY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDAD (1450 AM; 1 kW; INDIANA, PA; Owner: RMS MEDIA MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WAVL (910 AM; 5 kW; APOLLO, PA; Owner: EVANGEL HEIGHTS ASSEMBLY OF GOD)
- WLYE (850 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WVSC (990 AM; 10 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WKHB (620 AM; 6 kW; IRWIN, PA; Owner: BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WECZ (1540 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA)
- WPIT (730 AM; 5 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: PENNSYLVANIA MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WZSK (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; EVERETT, PA; Owner: NEW MILLENNIUM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WJAS (1320 AM; 6 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
Strongest FM radio stations in Homer City:
- WLCY (106.3 FM; BLAIRSVILLE, PA; Owner: LONGO MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WQEJ (89.7 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WQED MULTIMEDIA)
- WFRJ (88.9 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKYE (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WQKK (92.1 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WQMU (92.5 FM; INDIANA, PA; Owner: RMS MEDIA MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WPCL (97.3 FM; NORTHERN CAMBRIA, PA; Owner: HE'S ALIVE INCORPORATED)
- WMAJ-FM (104.9 FM; HOLLIDAYSBURG, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- W294AE (106.7 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WMTZ (96.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLU (99.1 FM; EBENSBURG, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- W267AC (101.3 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN NETWORK)
- WBXQ (94.7 FM; CRESSON, PA; Owner: SOUNDS GOOD, INC.)
- WZPT (100.7 FM; NEW KENSINGTON, PA; Owner: INFINITY RADIO SUBSIDIARY OPERATIONS INC.)
- WPRR (100.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: VITAL LICENSES, LLC)
- WFGY (98.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- WKYE-FM1 (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WINSTON RADIO CORPORATION)
- WALY (103.9 FM; BELLWOOD, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WHPA (93.5 FM; BARNESBORO, PA; Owner: VERNAL ENTERPRISES INC.)
- WAYC (100.9 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Homer City:
- WLLS-LP (Channel 49; INDIANA, PA; Owner: LARRY L. SCHRECONGOST)
- WJAC-TV (Channel 6; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WPXI-TV HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WCWB (Channel 22; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: WCWB LICENSEE, LLC)
- WTAE-TV (Channel 4; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: WTAE HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WPCB-TV (Channel 40; GREENSBURG, PA; Owner: CORNERSTONE TELEVISION, INC.)
- W25AX (Channel 25; KITTANNING, PA; Owner: TURNPIKE TELEVISION)
- WNPA (Channel 19; JEANNETTE, PA; Owner: VIACOM STATIONS GROUP OF PITTSBURGH INC.)
Homer City fatal accident list:
Dec 31, 2007 09:59 PM, Us-119, Sr-56, Vehicles: 2, Fatalities: 1
Nov 17, 2007 06:14 PM, Us-119, Sr-56, Vehicles: 2, Fatalities: 1
Aug 13, 1999 04:14 PM, Us-119, Vehicles: 3, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
May 27, 1990 03:30 AM, 3035, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Apr 16, 1980 05:00 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 10 meters (33ft)
Total costs: $1,000
Total average daily traffic: 5,220
Total average daily truck traffic: 144
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 6,257
Businesses in Homer City, PA
- Ford: 1
- U-Haul: 1
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2014.