Horse Branch, Kentucky
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||37.4 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 42349
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $16,283 (it was $12,427 in 2000)
Horse Branch CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $77,471 (it was $45,700 in 2000)
Races in Horse Branch, KY (2000)
- 1,91598.5%White alone
- 90.5%Two or more races
- 50.3%Black alone
- 60.3%Asian alone
- 30.2%American Indian alone
- 10.05%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 79.6 square miles.
Population density: 25 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Horse Branch:
- High school or higher: 50.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.9%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 36.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Horse Branch CCD:
- Never married: 18.0%
- Now married: 63.0%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 9.8%
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Horse Branch, Kentucky as of April 27, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Horse Branch to the number of sex offenders is 665 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Horse Branch CCD:||0.5% ($215)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Owensboro, KY (31.7 miles , pop. 54,067).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Louisville, KY (73.9 miles , pop. 256,231).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (307.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Rosine, KY (1.8 miles) , Welchs Creek, KY (3.2 miles ), Caneyville, KY (3.3 miles ), Beaver Dam, KY (3.3 miles ), Hartford, KY (3.5 miles ), Short Creek, KY (3.5 miles ), Fordsville, KY (3.5 miles ), McHenry, KY (3.8 miles ).
Latitude: 37.46 N, Longitude: 86.68 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 270
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (18%)
- Construction (16%)
- Metal and metal products (7%)
- Rail transportation (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Paper (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Health care (21%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Food (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Transportation equipment (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (10%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (4%)
Average climate in Horse Branch, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Horse Branch-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 52% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 20.7 miles away from the Horse Branch place center killed 31 people and injured 270 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 6.7 miles away from the place center injured 2 people.
Earthquake activity:Horse Branch-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 95.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 70.3 miles away from Horse Branch center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 114.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 158.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 94.9 miles away from Horse Branch center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 158.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Ohio County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 6, Mudslides: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Landslides: 2, Winds: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tropical Depression: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Horse Branch:
- Owensboro Community and Technical College (about 29 miles; Owensboro, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,754)
- Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 35 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 2,794)
- Western Kentucky University (about 35 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 16,942)
- Madisonville Community College (about 46 miles; Madisonville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,082)
- Elizabethtown Community and Technical College (about 49 miles; Elizabethtown, KY; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- University of Evansville (about 59 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 2,688)
- Hopkinsville Community College (about 60 miles; Hopkinsville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,269)
Public elementary/middle school in Horse Branch:
- HORSE BRANCH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 176, Location: 11980 US HWY 62 E, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Horse Branch: Dan (A), Rosine Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Horse Branch include: Fairview Church (A), Hopewell Church (B), Leach Chapel (C), New Baymus Church (D), Antioch Church (E), Bethel Church (F), Saint Johns Church (G), Salem Church (H), Cane Run Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: McCord Cemetery (1), Wilson Cemetery (2), Arnold Ridge Cemetery (3), Axton Cemetery (4), Voyles Cemetery (5), Wade Cemetery (6), Ferguson Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Browns Creek (A), Brush Run (B), Cow Creek (C), Sled Run (D), McGrady Creek (E), Muddy Creek (F), Jenny Branch (G), Richland Creek (H), Horse Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Horse Branch CCD (based on Ohio County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Ohio County:||1.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio County:||2.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
5.22% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,780 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Daviess County, KY||1.71% ($32,138 average AGI)|
|from Muhlenberg County, KY||0.31% ($22,240)|
|from Butler County, KY||0.25% ($29,550)|
5.27% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,890 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Horse Branch:
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WKCT (930 AM; 5 kW; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: DAILY NEWS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAIA (1600 AM; 1 kW; BEAVER DAM, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WVJS (1420 AM; 5 kW; OWENSBORO, KY; Owner: TSB III, LLC)
- WLBQ (1570 AM; 1 kW; MORGANTOWN, KY; Owner: BUTLER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO.)
- WKCM (1160 AM; 3 kW; HAWESVILLE, KY; Owner: HANCOCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
Strongest FM radio stations in Horse Branch:
- WBKR (92.5 FM; OWENSBORO, KY; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF EVANSVILLE/OWENSBORO, INC.)
- WXMZ (106.3 FM; HARTFORD, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WQXQ (101.9 FM; CENTRAL CITY, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WUBT (101.1 FM; RUSSELLVILLE, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXCM (97.1 FM; HAWESVILLE, KY; Owner: WLME, INC.)
- WLME (102.9 FM; CANNELTON, IN; Owner: HANCOCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WKLX (100.7 FM; BROWNSVILLE, KY; Owner: CHARLES M. ANDERSON)
- WKYU-FM (88.9 FM; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WTCJ-FM (105.7 FM; TELL CITY, IN; Owner: HANCOCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSTO (96.1 FM; OWENSBORO, KY; Owner: TSB III, LLC)
- WBFI (91.5 FM; MCDANIELS, KY; Owner: BETHEL FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WXBC (104.3 FM; HARDINSBURG, KY; Owner: BRECKINRIDGE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBIO (94.7 FM; PHILPOT, KY; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC OF KENTUCKY)
- WKHG (104.9 FM; LEITCHFIELD, KY; Owner: HERITAGE MEDIA OF KENTUCKY INC)
TV broadcast stations around Horse Branch:
- W62CJ (Channel 62; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKGB-TV (Channel 53; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WBKO (Channel 13; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WKYU-TV (Channel 24; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
Horse Branch fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Horse Branch)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:26 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Ohio West KY, 3893 State Route 505 South (Lat: 37.405278 Lon: -86.704722), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 89 m, Overall height: 94.5 m, Call Sign: WQTL384
Assigned Frequencies: 6315.84 MHzGrant Date: 02/26/2014, Expiration Date: 02/26/2024, Certifier: Ronald R SmithRegistrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 1200, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8665, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: WA4UGG, Licensee ID: L01300557, Grant Date: 07/03/2007, Expiration Date: 08/12/2017, Registrant: Donald R Davis Sr, 20855 Beaver Dam Road, Horse Branch, KY 42349-9611
- Call Sign: WD4GL, Previous Call Sign: KC4ZWS, Licensee ID: L01207543, Grant Date: 09/23/2008, Expiration Date: 11/18/2018, Registrant: Gerald T Lee, 2332 Sipes School Road, Horse Branch, KY 42349
- Call Sign: KK4ZSN, Licensee ID: L01853212, Grant Date: 03/27/2014, Expiration Date: 03/27/2024, Certifier: Ethan E Eadens, Registrant: Ethan E Eadens, 1722 St Rt 2713, Horse Branch, KY 42349
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (36%)
- Electricity (36%)
- Wood (22%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Horse Branch compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.