Howard City, Nebraska
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||54.1 years|
|Nebraska median age:||36.3 years|
Zip codes: 68820.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,623 (it was $11,797 in 2000)
Howard City village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $49,244 (it was $33,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $50,268; Detached houses: $52,587; Mobile homes: $19,200
Median gross rent in 2013: $488.
Races in Howard City, NE (2010)
- 17894.2%White alone
- 10.5%American Indian alone
Ancestries: German (27.0%), Polish (12.6%), English (11.6%), Irish (8.4%), United States (6.0%), Danish (4.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1885
Land area: 0.71 square miles.
Population density: 268 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Howard City:
- High school or higher: 89.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 13.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Howard City village:
- Never married: 18.4%
- Now married: 47.4%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 19.6%
- Divorced: 13.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,023 (2.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $736 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lincoln, NE (108.2 miles , pop. 225,581).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (574.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Rockville, NE (2.6 miles) , Cairo, NE (2.7 miles ), Dannebrog, NE (3.1 miles ), Ravenna, NE (3.3 miles ), Farwell, NE (3.3 miles) , Ashton, NE (3.6 miles ), Poole, NE (3.8 miles) , St. Paul, NE (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 41.07 N, Longitude: 98.72 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 308
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Construction (16%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (43%)
- Manufacturing (12%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (6%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Production occupations (45%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (20%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Transportation occupations (7%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (2%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (2%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (24%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (20%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (6%)
Average climate in Howard City, Nebraska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Howard City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Nebraska state average. It is 107% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/8/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.1 miles away from the Howard City village center .
On 5/8/1965, a category F4 tornado 15.3 miles away from the village center killed 4 people and injured 53 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Howard City-area historical earthquake activity is near Nebraska state average. It is 59% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 651.3 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 117.6 miles away from Howard City center
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 365.2 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 220.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/20/2002 at 04:29:40, a magnitude 3.5 (3.3 MB, 3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 30.5 miles away from Howard City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 116.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Howard County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Howard City:
- Central Community College (about 22 miles; Grand Island, NE; Full-time enrollment: 4,159)
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 33 miles; Kearney, NE; FT enrollment: 6,047)
- Northeast Community College (about 97 miles; Norfolk, NE; FT enrollment: 3,334)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (about 107 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 20,817)
- Nebraska Wesleyan University (about 110 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 2,072)
- Southeast Community College Area (about 111 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 8,838)
- Wayne State College (about 120 miles; Wayne, NE; FT enrollment: 3,121)
Notable location: Boelus Volunteer Fire and Rescue (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 45.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.36. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
(13.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents)
|This village:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Howard City village (based on Howard County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Howard County:||4.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nebraska:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Howard County:||7.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.76 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Howard City, NE Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$1,436|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||1||$1,436|
Howard City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Central Staff Services: $5,000 ($26.32)
Financial Administration: $4,000 ($21.05)
General Public Buildings: $1,000 ($5.26)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $40,000 ($210.53)
Central Staff Services: $16,000 ($84.21)
Financial Administration: $12,000 ($63.16)
General Public Buildings: $2,000 ($10.53)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $18,000 ($94.74)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $33,000 ($173.68)
Howard City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $22,000 ($115.79)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $23,000 ($121.05)
Interest Earnings: $4,000 ($21.05)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $22,000 ($115.79)
All Other: $5,000 ($26.32)
General Support: $1,000 ($5.26)
- Tax - NEC: $12,000 ($63.16)
Property: $10,000 ($52.63)
Howard City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $216,000 ($1136.84)
6.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,971 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hall County, NE||3.12% ($34,684 average AGI)|
7.65% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,074 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Howard City:
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KMMJ (750 AM; 11 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KRGI (1430 AM; 5 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE)
- KKPR (1460 AM; 5 kW; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PLATTE RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KNLV (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; ORD, NE; Owner: SANDHILLS ADVERTISING CORP.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KGFW (1340 AM; 1 kW; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Howard City:
- KSYZ-FM (107.7 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: NEUHOFF BROADCASTING-GRAND ISLAND, I)
- KKPR-FM (98.9 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PLATTE RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- KRGI-FM (96.5 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KQKY (105.9 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KROR (101.5 FM; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: ETERNAL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KRNY (102.3 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KLIQ (94.5 FM; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KHNE-FM (89.1 FM; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- KRGY (97.3 FM; AURORA, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KROA (95.7 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: GRACE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Howard City:
- KTVG (Channel 17; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: HILL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KHGI-TV (Channel 13; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF CENTRAL NEBRASKA, A CALIFORNIA LP)
- KHAS-TV (Channel 5; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: GREATER NEBRASKA TELEVISION, INC.)
- KGIN (Channel 11; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: KOLN/KGIN LICENSE, INC.)
- KHNE-TV (Channel 29; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- K41FU (Channel 41; COLUMBUS & FREMONT, NE; Owner: ROGER E. HARDERS)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- 1,110Total average daily traffic
- 111Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,610Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (70%)
- Electricity (29%)
Howard City compared to Nebraska state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.