|Median resident age:||48.8 years|
|Nebraska median age:||42.2 years|
Zip codes: 68820.
Howard City village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $54,884 (it was $33,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $443.
- White alone - 178 (94.2%)
- Hispanic - 10 (5.3%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (28.3%), Polish (16.0%), English (13.1%), Irish (13.1%), Danish (4.9%), United States (4.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1885
Land area: 0.71 square miles.Population density: 267 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in Howard City:
- High school or higher: 83.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 13.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Howard City village:
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 57.0%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 14.7%
- Divorced: 6.9%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,117 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $719 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lincoln, NE (108.2 miles , pop. 225,581).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (574.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Rockville, NE (2.6 miles) , Cairo, NE (2.7 miles ), Dannebrog, NE (3.1 miles ), Ravenna, NE (3.3 miles ), Farwell, NE (3.3 miles) , Ashton, NE (3.6 miles ), Poole, NE (3.8 miles) , St. Paul, NE (4.1 miles ).
Latitude: 41.07 N, Longitude: 98.72 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 308
- Construction (35%)
- Manufacturing (25%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (42%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (16%)
- Construction laborers (16%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (19%)
- Cashiers (16%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (9%)
- Child care workers (9%)
- Accountants and auditors (6%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (6%)
Average climate in Howard City, Nebraska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Howard City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Nebraska state average. It is 107% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/8/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.1 miles away from the Howard City village center .
On 5/8/1965, a category F4 tornado 15.3 miles away from the village center killed 4 people and injured 53 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Howard City-area historical earthquake activity is near Nebraska state average. It is 59% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 651.3 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 117.6 miles away from Howard City center
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 365.2 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 220.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/20/2002 at 04:29:40, a magnitude 3.5 (3.3 MB, 3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 30.5 miles away from Howard City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 116.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Howard County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 5, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Howard City:
- Central Community College (about 22 miles; Grand Island, NE; Full-time enrollment: 4,159)
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 33 miles; Kearney, NE; FT enrollment: 6,047)
- Northeast Community College (about 97 miles; Norfolk, NE; FT enrollment: 3,334)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (about 107 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 20,817)
- Nebraska Wesleyan University (about 110 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 2,072)
- Southeast Community College Area (about 111 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 8,838)
- Wayne State College (about 120 miles; Wayne, NE; FT enrollment: 3,121)
Notable location: Boelus Volunteer Fire and Rescue (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 42.6. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 7.58. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
(6.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents)
|This village:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Howard City compared to Nebraska state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (63%)
- Electricity (35%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Religion statistics for Howard City village (based on Howard County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 62.74%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Howard County:||4.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nebraska:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Howard County:||7.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||1||$1,000|
Howard City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Central Staff Services: $5,000 ($26.46)
Financial Administration: $4,000 ($21.16)
General Public Buildings: $1,000 ($5.29)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $40,000 ($211.64)
Central Staff Services: $16,000 ($84.66)
Financial Administration: $12,000 ($63.49)
General Public Buildings: $2,000 ($10.58)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $18,000 ($95.24)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $33,000 ($174.60)
Howard City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $22,000 ($116.40)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $23,000 ($121.69)
Interest Earnings: $4,000 ($21.16)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $22,000 ($116.40)
All Other: $5,000 ($26.46)
General Support: $1,000 ($5.29)
- Tax - NEC: $12,000 ($63.49)
Property: $10,000 ($52.91)
Howard City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $216,000 ($1142.86)
6.86% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($32,457 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
8.17% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($27,960 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Howard City:
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KMMJ (750 AM; 11 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KRGI (1430 AM; 5 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE)
- KKPR (1460 AM; 5 kW; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PLATTE RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KNLV (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; ORD, NE; Owner: SANDHILLS ADVERTISING CORP.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KGFW (1340 AM; 1 kW; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Howard City:
- KSYZ-FM (107.7 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: NEUHOFF BROADCASTING-GRAND ISLAND, I)
- KKPR-FM (98.9 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PLATTE RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- KRGI-FM (96.5 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KQKY (105.9 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KROR (101.5 FM; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: ETERNAL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KRNY (102.3 FM; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KLIQ (94.5 FM; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KHNE-FM (89.1 FM; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- KRGY (97.3 FM; AURORA, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KROA (95.7 FM; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: GRACE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Howard City:
- KTVG (Channel 17; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: HILL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KHGI-TV (Channel 13; KEARNEY, NE; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF CENTRAL NEBRASKA, A CALIFORNIA LP)
- KHAS-TV (Channel 5; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: GREATER NEBRASKA TELEVISION, INC.)
- KGIN (Channel 11; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: KOLN/KGIN LICENSE, INC.)
- KHNE-TV (Channel 29; HASTINGS, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
- K41FU (Channel 41; COLUMBUS & FREMONT, NE; Owner: ROGER E. HARDERS)
Total length: 0 meters
Total average daily traffic: 965
Total average daily truck traffic: 86
Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic: 1,399