|Median resident age:||34.3 years|
|Idaho median age:||33.2 years|
Howe CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $125,170 (it was $83,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 320 (93.3%)
- Hispanic - 17 (5.0%)
- Two or more races - 3 (0.9%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.6%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.3%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 4824 feet
Land area: 1166.1 square miles.
Population density: 0.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Howe:
- High school or higher: 70.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Howe CCD:
- Never married: 16.7%
- Now married: 76.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.0%
- Divorced: 7.0%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Howe CCD:||0.7% ($586)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Idaho Falls, ID (47.5 miles , pop. 50,730).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: West Adams, CO (487.3 miles , pop. 259,628).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (704.5 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Butte City, ID (4.0 miles) , Atomic City, ID (4.3 miles) , Arco, ID (4.3 miles ), Moore, ID (4.6 miles) , Mud Lake, ID (5.0 miles ), Lost River, ID (5.5 miles) , Mackay, ID (6.1 miles ), West Clark, ID (6.1 miles ).
Latitude: 43.69 N, Longitude: 112.94 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 208
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (61%)
- Truck transportation (10%)
- Repair and maintenance (10%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Food (3%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (26%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (11%)
- Health care (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Pharmacies and drug stores (7%)
- Utilities (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (50%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (16%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (26%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other financial specialists (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (7%)
- Printing workers (7%)
Average climate in Howe, Idaho
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Howe-area historical earthquake activity is near Idaho state average. It is 263% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 128.6 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 50.6 miles away from Howe center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 321.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 118.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/28/1983 at 19:51:24, a magnitude 5.8 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.8 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 49.6 miles away from Howe center
On 6/30/1975 at 18:54:13, a magnitude 6.1 (5.6 MB, 5.9 MS, 6.1 UK, 6.1 ML) earthquake occurred 128.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Butte County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Earthquake: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Howe:
- Howe Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 4,000, Local Ops: 700)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Howe:
- Brigham Young University-Idaho (about 59 miles; Rexburg, ID; Full-time enrollment: 30,522)
- Idaho State University (about 63 miles; Pocatello, ID; FT enrollment: 10,350)
- College of Southern Idaho (about 110 miles; Twin Falls, ID; FT enrollment: 5,051)
- Utah State University (about 147 miles; Logan, UT; FT enrollment: 21,131)
- Boise State University (about 164 miles; Boise, ID; FT enrollment: 16,774)
- Montana State University (about 166 miles; Bozeman, MT; FT enrollment: 12,942)
- College of Western Idaho (about 179 miles; Nampa, ID; FT enrollment: 6,300)
Public elementary/middle school in Howe:
- Howe Elementary School (Students: 30; Location: SADDLE MOUNTAIN RD; Grades: K-5)
Notable locations in Howe: Bell Mountain Ranger Station (A), Little Lost River Access Area (B), Fallert (C), Little Lost Ski Area (D), Idaho National Laboratory Safety Department Station 3 (E), Idaho National Laboratory Safety Department Station 1 (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Pass Creek Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Cedar Run Creek (A), Camp Creek (B), Cabin Fork (C), Boulder Creek (D), Black Creek (E), Birch Creek (F), Big Spring Creek (G), Pine Creek (H), Bell Mountain Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Howe and their reported violations in the past:HOWE TOWNSITE (Population served: 55, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JAN-2014, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (FEB-27-2014), St Public Notif requested (MAR-02-2014)
|This place:||3.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Howe compared to Idaho state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (42%)
- Wood (30%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Howe CCD (based on Butte County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 57.12%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Catholic Church||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Butte County:||3.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Idaho:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Butte County:||18.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
6.35% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,776 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
8.36% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,551 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Bonneville County, ID||1.61% ($28,133 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Howe:
- KZNR (690 AM; 10 kW; BLACKFOOT, ID; Owner: WESTERN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KBLI (1620 AM; 10 kW; BLACKFOOT, ID; Owner: WESTERN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KID (590 AM; 5 kW; IDAHO FALLS, ID; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KUPI (980 AM; 5 kW; AMMON, ID; Owner: RAY GROTH OIL COMPANY, INC.)
- KSEI (930 AM; 5 kW; POCATELLO, ID; Owner: PACIFIC EMPIRE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- KALL (700 AM; 50 kW; NORTH SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KZNI (1260 AM; 5 kW; IDAHO FALLS, ID)
- KIQN (1010 AM; 50 kW; TOOELE, UT)
- KSL (1160 AM; 50 kW; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- KWEI (1260 AM; 50 kW; WEISER, ID; Owner: TREASURE VALLEY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KERR (750 AM; 50 kW; POLSON, MT; Owner: ANDERSON RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBSU (730 AM; 15 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: IDAHO STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Howe:
- KCVI (101.5 FM; BLACKFOOT, ID; Owner: WESTERN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KLCE (97.3 FM; BLACKFOOT, ID; Owner: WESTERN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KID-FM (96.1 FM; IDAHO FALLS, ID; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBJX (107.9 FM; SHELLEY, ID; Owner: PACIFIC EMPIRE COMMUNICATIONS CORP)
TV broadcast stations around Howe:
- K59BV (Channel 59; LAVA HOT SPRINGS, ID; Owner: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION (IEPBS))
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- 6 Mi E (Lat: 43.796306 Lon: -112.263028), Call Sign: KNEX894
Assigned Frequencies: 152.945 MHz
Grant Date: 03/23/1998, Expiration Date: 03/16/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/18/2002
Registrant: Russell Mays, Howe, ID 83244
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- Jump Off Point, Jump Off Point, 6 Mi Sw Of (Lat: 43.756028 Lon: -113.100250), Type: Tower, Structure height: 6.1 m, Overall height: 10.1 m, Call Sign: WQNU546
Assigned Frequencies: 959.150 MHz
Grant Date: 05/31/2011, Expiration Date: 05/31/2021, Certifier: Marcus Kohler
Registrant: Pacificorp, 825 Ne Multnomah St. 700 Lct, Portland, OR 97232-2149, Phone: (503) 813-6398, Fax: (503) 813-6434, Email:
- Howe Peak, 6.8 Miles Sw Of (Lat: 43.712972 Lon: -113.099806), Type: Tower, Structure height: 9.2 m, Call Sign: WQPH947
Assigned Frequencies: 11265.0 MHz, 11225.0 MHz
Grant Date: 05/23/2012, Expiration Date: 05/23/2022, Certifier: Joseph W Shelton Iii
Registrant: White Cloud Communications LLC, Twin Falls, ID 83303, Phone: (208) 733-5470, Fax: (208) 735-1778, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB7QAK, Licensee ID: L00596133
Grant Date: 04/06/2013, Expiration Date: 04/06/2023
Registrant: Craig S Barnes, 1572 W. 3600 N., Howe, ID 83244
- Call Sign: WA7FDR, Licensee ID: L00872579
Grant Date: 06/03/2004, Expiration Date: 05/10/2014, Certifier: Vance L Hawley
Registrant: Vance L Hawley, ., Howe, ID 83244
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: NORRIS ROBERT J NORRIS SKYBOLT SF1 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 23RN , Serial Number: 001
Registrant (Individual): Robert J Norris, Ranch, Howe, ID 83244
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182B (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 119 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2384G , Serial Number: 51684, Year manufactured: 1958, Airworthiness Date: 12/17/1958
Registrant (Co-Owned): Charles H Mcdonald, Po Box 45, Howe, ID 83244, Other Owners: Joyce L Mcdonald
- Aircraft: CESSNA T210M (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 141 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR TSIO-520 SER (300 HP) (Turbo-prop)
N-Number: 732SE , Serial Number: 21061731, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 02/07/1977
Registrant (Individual): Wayne R Bare, General Delivery, Howe, ID 83244
Howe on our top lists:
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers"
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Food preparation and serving related occupations:"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Communications equipment operators"
- #18 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Leather and allied products"
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting"
- #92 on the list of "Top 101 cities with high-earning residents located near cities with low-earning residents"