|Median resident age:||33.6 years|
|Kansas median age:||32.8 years|
Zip codes: 67951.
Hugoton city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $76,998 (it was $68,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $667.
- White alone - 2,453 (59.7%)
- Hispanic - 1,626 (39.5%)
- Asian alone - 41 (1.0%)
- Two or more races - 34 (0.8%)
- American Indian alone - 9 (0.2%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.05%)
|How does Kansas differentiate itself from Nebraska or Iowa? (66 replies)|
|Junction City or Manhattan?? (56 replies)|
|Liberal, KS (29 replies)|
|Non-KC Area Kansans Perspectives (38 replies)|
|Can Anyone Tell Me Anything About Elkhart? (8 replies)|
|Fairview School (1 reply)|
Latest news from Hugoton, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (14.0%), United States (12.4%), Irish (6.9%), English (5.7%), Swedish (2.0%), French (1.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 3111 feet
Land area: 1.78 square miles.
Population density: 2,237 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hugoton:
- High school or higher: 83.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hugoton city:
- Never married: 17.9%
- Now married: 68.1%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 6.5%
841 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Hugoton, Kansas as of May 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hugoton to the number of sex offenders is 1,309 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,025 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $895 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Amarillo, TX (139.6 miles , pop. 173,627).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (221.1 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (397.8 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Moscow, KS (3.6 miles ), Rolla, KS (4.0 miles ), Tyrone, OK (4.7 miles ), Hooker, OK (4.8 miles ), Liberal, KS (5.0 miles ), Richfield, KS (5.0 miles) , Satanta, KS (5.2 miles ), Ulysses, KS (5.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 9 buildings, average cost: $115,500
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $125,200
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $250,000
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $133,500
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $76,500
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $167,000
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $143,800
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $146,000
- 2006: 6 buildings, average cost: $133,200
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $217,500
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $245,700
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $181,700
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $67,000
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $301,500
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.18 N, Longitude: 101.35 W
Area code: 620
|Crime rates in Hugoton by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 296.7)||139.3||143.0||195.1||108.7||60.9||18.0||23.2||26.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hugoton detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.30|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +281 (+8.2%).
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (21%)
- Construction (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Utilities (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Educational services (27%)
- Health care and social assistance (18%)
- Information (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Hugoton, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hugoton-area historical tornado activity is below Kansas state average. It is 22% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/5/1993, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 5.7 miles away from the Hugoton city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/5/1993, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.7 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hugoton-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Kansas state average. It is 22% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 59.1 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 189.8 miles away from Hugoton center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 288.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 195.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 180.4 miles away from Hugoton center
On 3/22/2004 at 12:09:56, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 194.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Stevens County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 2
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 2, Fire: 1, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Billy Drago - Film actor.
Hospitals and medical centers in Hugoton:
Airports located in Hugoton:
- Hugoton Municipal Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 8,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hugoton:
- Amarillo College (about 141 miles; Amarillo, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,622)
- West Texas A & M University (about 156 miles; Canyon, TX; FT enrollment: 6,820)
- Fort Hays State University (about 161 miles; Hays, KS; FT enrollment: 8,728)
- Barton County Community College (about 167 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- Southwestern Oklahoma State University (about 186 miles; Weatherford, OK; FT enrollment: 4,126)
- Colorado State University-Pueblo (about 194 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,993)
- Pueblo Community College (about 196 miles; Pueblo, CO; FT enrollment: 5,329)
Public high school in Hugoton:
- Hugoton High School (Students: 319; Location: 215 W 11TH; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Hugoton:
Private elementary/middle school in Hugoton:
Notable locations in Hugoton: Hugoton Municipal Power Plant Number 2 (A), Stevens County Fairgrounds (B), Stevens County Sheriff's Office Jail (C), Stevens County Sheriff's Office (D), Stevens County Courthouse (E), Hugoton Police Department (F), Stevens County Fire Department Hugoton Station (G), Stevens County Emergency Medical Services (H), Stevens County Health Office (I), Stevens County Library (J), Stevens County Historical Museum (K), Hugoton Recreation Commission (L), Hugoton City Hall (M), Hugoton Public Works (N), Stevens County Road and Bridge Department (O), Bob Sosa Recreation Center (P), Hugoton Senior Center (Q). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hugoton include: Church of Christ (A), Church of God (B), Church of the Nazerene (C), Faith Chapel Church of God in Christ (D), Faith Lutheran Church (E), Hugoton Baptist Church (F), Lighthouse Fellowship Church (G), Monte Santo Pentacostal Church (H), Saint Helen Catholic Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Stevens County - Gas & Historical Museum (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 905 South Adams Street).
Hotels: Shady Lane Bed & Breakfast (110 North Main Street), Jackson's Supper Club and Motel (615 South Monroe Street), B & B Motel (1041 S Main St).
Courts: Stevens County - Clerk Of District Court- Clerk Of District Court Fax Mac (200 East 6th), Stevens-County - Clerk Of District Court (200 East 6th Street).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hugoton and their reported violations in the past:HUGOTON, CITY OF (Population served: 3,927, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 minor monitoring violations
(4.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 29.4% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 42.3% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Hugoton in 2010:
- 53 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 13 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 6 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Hugoton in 2000:
- 52 people in nursing homes
- 6 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 2 people in wards in general hospitals for patients who have no usual home elsewhere
Hugoton compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Hugoton (2011 data):
- The First National Bank of Liberal: Hugoton Branch at 502 South Jackson Street, branch established on 1996/03/11. Info updated 2009/03/31: Bank assets: $241.3 mil, Deposits: $211.9 mil, headquarters in Liberal, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Kansas Bank Corporation
- The Citizens State Bank: at 601 S. Main Street, branch established on 1913/04/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $125.1 mil, Deposits: $109.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 1 total offices, Holding Company: Hugoton Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (86%)
- Electricity (14%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hugoton city (based on Stevens County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 61.72%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Friends (Quakers)|
|Name||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Assemblies of God||Churches of Christ||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Stevens County:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Stevens County:||9.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||5||$2,143|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$1,483|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$19,127||$45,905||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$2,497||$29,964||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||3||$10,880||$43,520||2||$1,499|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$4,184||$50,208||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$9,091||$54,546||7||$1,765|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$18,965||$75,860||1||$534|
|Totals for Government||28||$120,845||$51,791||16||$7,424|
Hugoton government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $165,000 ($41.47)
General Public Buildings: $20,000 ($5.03)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $3,478,000 ($874.09)
Police Protection: $570,000 ($143.25)
Water Utilities: $480,000 ($120.63)
Regular Highways: $388,000 ($97.51)
Central Staff Services: $240,000 ($60.32)
Parks and Recreation: $210,000 ($52.78)
Sewerage: $193,000 ($48.50)
Solid Waste Management: $162,000 ($40.71)
Judicial and Legal Services: $25,000 ($6.28)
General - Other: $22,000 ($5.53)
Health - Other: $2,000 ($0.50)
- General - Interest on Debt: $58,000 ($14.58)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $116,000 ($29.15)
Electric Utilities: $108,000 ($27.14)
Sewerage: $43,000 ($10.81)
Police Protection: $37,000 ($9.30)
Water Utilities: $27,000 ($6.79)
General Public Building: $22,000 ($5.53)
Parks and Recreation: $18,000 ($4.52)
Regular Highways: $14,000 ($3.52)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $1,989,000 ($499.87)
Hugoton government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $254,000 ($63.84)
Solid Waste Management: $127,000 ($31.92)
Parks and Recreation: $111,000 ($27.90)
All Other: $26,000 ($6.53)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $107,000 ($26.89)
Special Assessments: $102,000 ($25.63)
General Revenue, NEC: $90,000 ($22.62)
Fines and Forfeits: $55,000 ($13.82)
Royalties: $17,000 ($4.27)
Donations From Private Sources: $3,000 ($0.75)
Rents: $1,000 ($0.25)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $3,910,000 ($982.66)
Water Utilities: $517,000 ($129.93)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $107,000 ($26.89)
General Local Government Support: $4,000 ($1.01)
- Tax - Property: $740,000 ($185.98)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $393,000 ($98.77)
Public Utilities Sales: $83,000 ($20.86)
Other License: $6,000 ($1.51)
Other Selective Sales: $3,000 ($0.75)
Occupation and Business License, NEC: $1,000 ($0.25)
Hugoton government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $1,865,000 ($468.71)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $1,580,000 ($397.08)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $285,000 ($71.63)
Hugoton government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $3,212,000 ($807.24)
- Sinking Funds - Cash and Securities: $39,000 ($9.80)
5.50% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($41,784 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Morton County, KS||0.54% ($52,200 average AGI)|
8.80% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,077 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hugoton:
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KSCB (1270 AM; 5 kW; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: SEWARD COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KULY (1420 AM; 1 kW; ULYSSES, KS; Owner: KBUF PARTNERSHIP)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KYUU (1470 AM; 1 kW; LIBERAL, KS)
- KGNC (710 AM; 10 kW; AMARILLO, TX; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hugoton:
- K222AK (92.3 FM; HUGOTON, KS; Owner: KANZA SOCIETY INC.)
- KFXX-FM (106.7 FM; HUGOTON, KS; Owner: KBUF PARTNERSHIP)
- KLDG (102.7 FM; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: SEWARD COUNTY B/CASTING CO., INC.)
- KSCB-FM (107.5 FM; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: SEWARD COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KZQD (105.1 FM; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: MARIO LOREDO)
- KSLS (101.5 FM; LIBERAL, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 8
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 12
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 3
- Fatalities: 8
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 14
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 106
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 159
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 39
- Fatalities: 114
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 265
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 11
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 45 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Hugoton, KS)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 22 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hugoton)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 2 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Hugoton)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 15 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 56
- Hazardous Condition: 2
Incident types - Hugoton
|Most common first names in Hugoton, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hugoton, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Hugoton, KS|
Hugoton on our top lists:
- #36 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest average wind speeds"
- #84 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Utilities"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Financial specialists:"
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Bush (Republican) in the 2004 Presidential Election"
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2015.