|Median resident age:||45.3 years|
|Iowa median age:||44.4 years|
Zip codes: 50548.
Humboldt city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $94,879 (it was $83,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $576.
- White alone - 4,370 (93.2%)
- Hispanic - 235 (5.0%)
- Two or more races - 34 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 23 (0.5%)
- Asian alone - 20 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.09%)
- Other race alone - 4 (0.09%)
|Lake City, Guthrie Center, Clarion, Humboldt, Manning (9 replies)|
|Looking for the perfect small town in Iowa ! (102 replies)|
|What's wrong with Iowa?? (63 replies)|
|Tell me about Webster City (5 replies)|
|Questions from a Texas looking to move (10 replies)|
|Iowa photo thread (268 replies)|
Latest news from Humboldt, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (34.2%), Norwegian (10.1%), Irish (9.0%), English (7.7%), United States (6.0%), Czech (3.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 03/22/1874
Elevation: 1085 feet
Land area: 4.65 square miles.
Population density: 997 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Humboldt:
- High school or higher: 88.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.5%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Humboldt city:
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 12.6%
- Divorced: 10.5%
124 residents are foreign born (0.4% Asia, 0.3% Europe).
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there were 6 registered sex offenders living in Humboldt, Iowa as of July 07, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Humboldt to the number of sex offenders is 776 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,373 (1.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,393 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Ames, IA (56.8 miles , pop. 50,731).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (136.8 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (340.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Dakota City, IA (1.0 miles ), Rutland, IA (2.1 miles) , Badger, IA (2.9 miles ), Thor, IA (3.0 miles) , Pioneer, IA (3.1 miles) , Livermore, IA (3.2 miles ), Bode, IA (3.2 miles ), Hardy, IA (3.2 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 17 buildings, average cost: $128,400
- 1998: 12 buildings, average cost: $165,000
- 1999: 10 buildings, average cost: $159,500
- 2000: 10 buildings, average cost: $151,000
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $185,600
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $169,600
- 2003: 10 buildings, average cost: $187,500
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $140,000
- 2005: 6 buildings, average cost: $198,200
- 2006: 6 buildings, average cost: $199,000
- 2007: 6 buildings, average cost: $271,700
- 2008: 8 buildings, average cost: $191,300
- 2009: 4 buildings, average cost: $176,300
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $226,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $221,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.72 N, Longitude: 94.22 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +466 (+9.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,133 (54.2%)
Area code: 515
|Crime rates in Humboldt by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||62.7||50.9||43.7||46.1||43.3||48.4||76.4||37.8||77.8||33.7||46.5||43.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Humboldt detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.28|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -135 (-2.9%).
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Construction (13%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Wholesale trade (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (38%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Construction (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
Average climate in Humboldt, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Humboldt-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 101% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/14/1966, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 29.5 miles away from the Humboldt city center killed 6 people and injured 172 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 8/29/1964, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.6 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Humboldt-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 222.8 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 280.0 miles away from Humboldt center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 237.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 444.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 228.4 miles away from Humboldt center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 169.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Humboldt County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 6, Tornadoes: 5, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Frank Gotch - Professional wrestler, Jack Clancy - College and Professional football player, Christian Clemenson - Film actor, Gus Thompson - Major League Baseball pitcher, Rod Hamilton - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Humboldt:
Airports and heliports located in Humboldt:
- Humboldt Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 2,272, Local Ops: 1,728)
- Humboldt County Memorial Hospital Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Humboldt:
- Iowa Central Community College (about 17 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,682)
- Buena Vista University (about 51 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
- Iowa Lakes Community College (about 57 miles; Estherville, IA; FT enrollment: 2,311)
- Iowa State University (about 57 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- North Iowa Area Community College (about 63 miles; Mason City, IA; FT enrollment: 2,235)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 77 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Drake University (about 83 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
Public high school in Humboldt:
- Humboldt High School (Students: 438; Location: 1500 Wildcat Rd; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Humboldt:
Private elementary/middle school in Humboldt:
Notable locations in Humboldt: Humboldt Fish Hatchery (A), Humboldt County Fairgrounds (B), Humboldt County Jail (C), Humboldt Fire Department (D), Humboldt City Hall (E), Humboldt Law Enforcement Center (F), Humboldt Public Library (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Humboldt include: Zion Church (A), Oak Hill Church (B), Our Saviours Lutheran Church (C), Congregational United Church of Christ (D), Faith United Methodist Church (E), Saint Marys Catholic Church (F), Zion Lutheran Church (G), Abundant Life Christian Fellowship (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Oakwood Cemetery (1), Union Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Lake Nokomis (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Humboldt include: Riverside Park (1), Worthington Park (2), Hampson Hillside Park (3), Tourist Park (4), Iowa Park (5), Bicknell Park (6), George Beebe Park (7), Taft Park (8), John Brown Park (9). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Broadway Inn (812 13th Street North), Corner Inn Motel (Bv) (1004 13th St N), Super 8 Motel (1520 10th Avenue North), Humboldt Super 8 Motel (1520 10th Ave. North Junction Of Hwy. 3 & 169).
Courts: Iowa State - Judicial Dept- District Court Clerk (Courthouse), Iowa State - Judicial Dept- Juvenile Court Services (Courthouse), Iowa State - District Court Clerk- Judicial Department- Judicial Dept- Juvenile Court Serv (Courthouse).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Humboldt and their reported violations in the past:HUMBOLDT MUNICIPAL WATER DEPT (Address: 29 5TH STREET SOUTH , Population served: 4,690, Groundwater under infl of surface water):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (AUG-20-2009), St Formal NOV issued (AUG-28-2009), St Public Notif requested (AUG-28-2009), St Public Notif received (SEP-22-2009), St Compliance achieved (MAR-04-2010)
(13.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 21.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 50.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
27 people in hospitals with patients who have no usual home elsewhere in 2010
People in group quarters in Humboldt in 2000:
- 121 people in nursing homes
- 26 people in orthopedic wards and institutions for the physically handicapped
- 11 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Humboldt compared to Iowa state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
Banks with branches in Humboldt (2011 data):
- Bank Iowa: Humboldt Drive-Up at 1302 5th Avenue North, branch established on 1975/10/01; Humboldt Branch at 506 Sumner Avenue, branch established on 1927/01/01. Info updated 2011/08/05: Bank assets: $1,089.9 mil, Deposits: $913.9 mil, headquarters in West Des Moines, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 24 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Iowa Corporation
- Northwest Bank: Humboldt Branch at 801 Sumner Avenue, branch established on 1935/12/01. Info updated 2012/03/07: Bank assets: $863.8 mil, Deposits: $728.0 mil, headquarters in Spencer, IA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 15 total offices, Holding Company: Northwest Financial Corp.
- U.S. Bank National Association: Humboldt Branch at 701 Sumner Avenue, branch established on 1982/04/02. Info updated 2012/01/30: Bank assets: $330,470.8 mil, Deposits: $236,091.5 mil, headquarters in Cincinnati, OH, positive income, 3121 total offices, Holding Company: U.S. Bancorp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (67%)
- Electricity (30%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Humboldt city (based on Humboldt County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 85.19%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Humboldt County:||2.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Humboldt County:||8.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$9,874||$59,244||6||$1,532|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$20,827||$41,654||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||5||$15,905||$38,172||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||3||$9,336||$37,344||1||$1,745|
|Parks and Recreation||3||$9,463||$37,852||2||$2,338|
|Totals for Government||25||$82,895||$39,790||17||$9,013|
Humboldt government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - Parks and Recreation: $2,950,000 ($636.46)
Regular Highways: $312,000 ($67.31)
- Current Operations - General - Other: $719,000 ($155.12)
Sewerage: $712,000 ($153.61)
Regular Highways: $649,000 ($140.02)
Water Utilities: $620,000 ($133.76)
Police Protection: $516,000 ($111.33)
Solid Waste Management: $398,000 ($85.87)
Parks and Recreation: $339,000 ($73.14)
Libraries: $235,000 ($50.70)
Financial Administration: $99,000 ($21.36)
Local Fire Protection: $85,000 ($18.34)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities, NEC: $61,000 ($13.16)
Central Staff Services: $26,000 ($5.61)
Air Transportation: $19,000 ($4.10)
General Public Buildings: $18,000 ($3.88)
Judicial and Legal Services: $14,000 ($3.02)
Health - Other: $3,000 ($0.65)
- General - Interest on Debt: $318,000 ($68.61)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $55,000 ($11.87)
Local Fire Protection: $25,000 ($5.39)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities, NEC: $16,000 ($3.45)
Air Transportation: $7,000 ($1.51)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $1,182,000 ($255.02)
Humboldt government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $788,000 ($170.01)
Solid Waste Management: $300,000 ($64.72)
All Other: $278,000 ($59.98)
Parks and Recreation: $160,000 ($34.52)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities: $19,000 ($4.10)
Regular Highways: $3,000 ($0.65)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $91,000 ($19.63)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $72,000 ($15.53)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $744,000 ($160.52)
Interest Earnings: $154,000 ($33.23)
Special Assessments: $65,000 ($14.02)
Sale of Property: $10,000 ($2.16)
Rents: $7,000 ($1.51)
Fines and Forfeits: $4,000 ($0.86)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $720,000 ($155.34)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $373,000 ($80.47)
- Tax - Property: $2,166,000 ($467.31)
General Sales and Gross Receipts: $305,000 ($65.80)
Public Utilities Sales: $26,000 ($5.61)
Other License: $15,000 ($3.24)
Humboldt government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $7,967,000 ($1718.88)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $7,669,000 ($1654.58)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $688,000 ($148.44)
Issue, Unspecified Public Purpose: $390,000 ($84.14)
Humboldt government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $4,025,000 ($868.39)
4.67% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,720 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
5.26% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,102 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Humboldt:
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KVFD (1400 AM; 1 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KFGQ (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOONE, IA; Owner: BOONE BIBLICAL MINISTRIES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Humboldt:
- KHBT (97.7 FM; HUMBOLDT, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KIAQ (96.9 FM; CLARION, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KKEZ (94.5 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KJYL (100.7 FM; EAGLE GROVE, IA; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- K206BF (89.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KUEL (92.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KICB (88.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Humboldt:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 9
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 15
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 9
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 31
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 1
- Fatal accident count: 80
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 123
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 25
- Fatalities: 86
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 199
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 8
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Humboldt, IA)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 26 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Humboldt)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 15 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Humboldt)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Humboldt, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Humboldt, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Humboldt, IA|
|Dairy Queen||1||Super 8||1|
|H&R Block||1||U.S. Cellular||1|
Humboldt on our top lists:
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in orthopedic wards and institutions for the physically handicapped"
- #41 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Machinery"
- #63 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Transportation, tourism, and lodging attendants"
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most local government spending on current operations of libraries per resident in 2004 in $"
- #90 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Machinery"
- #65 (50548) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Danish first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #83 (50548) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Norwegian first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2015.