|Median resident age:||35.5 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14735.
Hume town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $69,568 (it was $55,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,028 (97.9%)
- Hispanic - 19 (0.9%)
- American Indian alone - 13 (0.6%)
- Two or more races - 7 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.2%)
|Most famous person you've ever ran into on the street? (89 replies)|
|What's Wrong With You People In New York? (288 replies)|
|Peer pressure to move to Elmwood (89 replies)|
Latest news from Hume, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (29.7%), English (19.2%), Irish (14.3%), United States (6.9%), Polish (5.6%), Italian (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 37.9 square miles.
Population density: 55 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Hume:
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.6%
- Unemployed: 8.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hume town:
- Never married: 23.4%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 9.1%
31 residents are foreign born
According to our research of New York and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Hume, New York as of May 05, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Hume to the number of sex offenders is 1,932 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Hume town:||2.2% ($1,241)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Cheektowaga, NY (44.0 miles , pop. 79,988).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Buffalo, NY (47.1 miles , pop. 292,648).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (231.3 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Fillmore, NY (1.1 miles ), Houghton, NY (2.1 miles ), Pike, NY (2.3 miles ), Granger, NY (2.4 miles ), Caneadea, NY (2.5 miles ), Centerville, NY (2.5 miles ), Genesee Falls, NY (2.5 miles ), Allen, NY (2.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $95,300
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $95,300
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $44,000
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $57,500
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $36,500
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $83,500
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $47,700
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $25,800
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $53,900
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $130,000
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $107,300
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $98,100
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $119,200
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $90,800
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $131,700
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.48 N, Longitude: 78.12 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 585
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (16%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Food (6%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Utilities (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Educational services (26%)
- Health care (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Hume, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hume-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 65% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/20/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.9 miles away from the Hume town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 7/24/1967, a category F3 tornado 20.7 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Hume-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 135.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 215.9 miles away from Hume center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 167.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 260.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 142.4 miles away from Hume center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 184.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Allegany County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Almond E. Fisher - Medal of Honor recipient.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Hume: Almond E. Fisher.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hume:
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred (about 23 miles; Alfred, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,483)
- Alfred University (about 24 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 2,411)
- SUNY College at Geneseo (about 27 miles; Geneseo, NY; FT enrollment: 5,520)
- St Bonaventure University (about 34 miles; Saint Bonaventure, NY; FT enrollment: 2,286)
- Genesee Community College (about 37 miles; Batavia, NY; FT enrollment: 4,290)
- Bryant & Stratton College-Online (about 40 miles; Orchard Park, NY; FT enrollment: 2,212)
- Erie Community College (about 48 miles; Buffalo, NY; FT enrollment: 11,035)
Notable locations in Hume: Hoffman Farms (A), Neal Family Farm (B), Riverland Dairy Farms (C), Speicher Farms (D), Mariposa Ponds Campground (E), Wide Awake Club Library (F), Hume Town Hall (G), Fillmore Fire Department (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hume include: Saint Patricks Church (A), Wesleyan Church (B), First Baptist Church of Hume (C), Wiscoy Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Wiscoy Cemetery (1), Hume Village Cemetery (2), Alger Cemetery (3), Pine Grove Cemetery (4), Holy Cross Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Spring Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Sixtown Creek (A), Wiscoy Creek (B), Elm Creek (C), East Koy Creek (D), Rush Creek (E), Cold Creek (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Hume: Hank Miller Memorial Field (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.6 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Hume compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (63%)
- Wood (18%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hume town (based on Allegany County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 35.73%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||The Wesleyan Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Assemblies of God|
|Name||Episcopal Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||General Association of Regular Baptist Churches||Christian and Missionary Alliance||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Allegany County:||3.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Allegany County:||0.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Allegany County:||5.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.77% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,330 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cattaraugus County, NY||0.62% ($22,941 average AGI)|
|from Steuben County, NY||0.51% ($28,181)|
|from Erie County, NY||0.44% ($30,113)|
5.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,101 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hume:
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WCJW (1140 AM; daytime; 3 kW; WARSAW, NY; Owner: LLOYD LANE, INCORPORATED)
- WHHO (1320 AM; 5 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WGR (550 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WABH (1380 AM; 10 kW; BATH, NY)
- WNED (970 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY)
- WXRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; LANCASTER, NY; Owner: DOME BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTOR (770 AM; daytime; 9 kW; YOUNGSTOWN, NY; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGGO (1590 AM; 5 kW; SALAMANCA, NY; Owner: CATT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLEA (1480 AM; 3 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYSL (1040 AM; 3 kW; AVON, NY; Owner: RADIO LIVINGSTON, LTD)
- WHLD (1270 AM; 5 kW; NIAGARA FALLS, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hume:
- WNSA (107.7 FM; WETHERSFIELD TWNSHP, NY; Owner: ADELPHIA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, DEBTOR-IN-POSSESSION)
- WTSS (102.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WJSL (90.3 FM; HOUGHTON, NY; Owner: WXXI PUBLIC BROADCASTING COUNCIL)
- WZKZ (101.9 FM; ALFRED, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WDNY-FM (93.9 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MILLER MEDIA INC.)
- W201CY (88.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MARS HILL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- W246AP (97.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF THE FINGER LAKES)
- W282AC (104.3 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCIY (88.9 FM; CANANDAIGUA, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCOU (88.3 FM; WARSAW, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WFXF (107.3 FM; SOUTH BRISTOL TOWNSH, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNVE (95.1 FM; HONEOYE FALLS, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WKPQ (105.3 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WJQZ (103.5 FM; WELLSVILLE, NY; Owner: DBM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCID (89.1 FM; FRIENDSHIP, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WPIG (95.7 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: ARROW COMMUNICATIONS OF N.Y., INC.)
- WCKR (92.1 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNED-FM (94.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/C ASSOC.)
- WBUF (92.9 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WOLN (91.3 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
TV broadcast stations around Hume:
- WKBW-TV (Channel 7; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WKBW-TV LICENSE, INC.)
- WGRZ-TV (Channel 2; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: MULTIMEDIA ENTERTAINMENT, INC.)
- WNYO-TV (Channel 49; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: NEW YORK TELEVISION, INC.)
- WIVB-TV (Channel 4; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WIVB BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WNGS (Channel 67; SPRINGVILLE, NY; Owner: CAROLINE K. POWLEY D/B/A UNICORN/SPRINGVILLE)
- WPXJ-TV (Channel 51; BATAVIA, NY; Owner: PAXSON BUFFALO LICENSE, INC.)
- W62AQ (Channel 62; FILLMORE, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- W56AV (Channel 56; RUSHFORD & HOUGHTON, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
Hume fatal accident list:
Mar 23, 1999 01:00 PM, Cr-3, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
May 20, 1997 03:45 PM, 19, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 65 meters (213ft)
Total costs: $34,608,000
Total average daily traffic: 12,386
Total average daily truck traffic: 1,177
Total future (year 2022) average daily traffic: 17,023
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1930-1939: 1
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 1
- 1960-1969: 3
- 1970-1979: 6
- 1980-1989: 4
- 1990-1999: 2
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1