Independence, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||37.7 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14897.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $18,916 (it was $13,109 in 2000)
Independence town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $57,620 (it was $40,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $95,275; Detached houses: $96,246; Townhouses or other attached units: $136,716; In 2-unit structures: $121,534; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $333,578; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $483,816; Mobile homes: $57,151; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $126,249
Races in Independence, NY (2010)
- 1,13997.6%White alone
- 100.9%Two or more races
- 50.4%Black alone
- 30.3%Asian alone
- 10.09%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Mitchell-Lama Privatization (61 replies)|
|Dominicans are just taking over the Bronx not immigrating. (155 replies)|
|Guyanese immigrants in New York (255 replies)|
|bronx safe areas (75 replies)|
|Syracuse & CNY Region 2012 Independence Holiday Fireworks Events (7 replies)|
|Knickerbocker Village LES 1&2 Bedroom Lottery (54 replies)|
Latest news from Independence, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (18.5%), German (15.6%), Irish (13.4%), United States (9.8%), Dutch (4.3%), French (3.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 34.5 square miles.
Population density: 34 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Independence:
- High school or higher: 77.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Independence town:
- Never married: 25.0%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 8.1%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Independence town:||2.8% ($1,117)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Cheektowaga, NY (77.4 miles , pop. 79,988).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (77.4 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (198.0 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: West Union, NY (2.1 miles ), Willing, NY (2.4 miles ), Andover, NY (2.7 miles ), Stannards, NY (2.7 miles ), Greenwood, NY (2.8 miles ), Wellsville, NY (3.1 miles ), Ulysses borough, PA (3.2 miles ), Alma, NY (3.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $7,500
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $65,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $63,300
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $59,500
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2009: 7 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2010: 8 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2011: 5 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2013: 5 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $200,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.05 N, Longitude: 77.79 W
|Crime rates in Independence by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 268.0)||0.0||0.0||49.3||18.8||33.3||37.9||28.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Independence detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Machinery (15%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Wood products (3%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (3%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Health care (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Machinery (5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (11%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Independence, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Independence-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 59% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/21/2003, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.8 miles away from the Independence town center caused $200,000 in damages.
On 6/20/1969, a category F3 tornado 22.9 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Independence-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 140.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 218.2 miles away from Independence center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 176.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 265.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 150.0 miles away from Independence center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 155.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Allegany County (20) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 14, Floods: 12, Hurricanes: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Landslide: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Independence:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Independence:
- Alfred University (about 15 miles; Alfred, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,411)
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred (about 15 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 3,483)
- St Bonaventure University (about 36 miles; Saint Bonaventure, NY; FT enrollment: 2,286)
- Corning Community College (about 37 miles; Corning, NY; FT enrollment: 3,036)
- Mansfield University of Pennsylvania (about 41 miles; Mansfield, PA; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- SUNY College at Geneseo (about 52 miles; Geneseo, NY; FT enrollment: 5,520)
- Finger Lakes Community College (about 63 miles; Canandaigua, NY; FT enrollment: 4,732)
Notable locations in Independence: Whitesville Public Library (A), Whitesville Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Independence: Chenunda Creek Fellowship (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Fulmer Valley Cemetery (1), Independence Cemetery (2), Whitesville Rural Cemetery (3), Kenyon Road Cemetery (4), United States Cemetery (5), Spring Mills Cemetery (6), Pioneer Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Wileyville Creek (A), Spring Mills Creek (B), Marsh Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.8 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Independence town (based on Allegany County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Allegany County:||3.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Allegany County:||0.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Allegany County:||5.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.77% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,330 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cattaraugus County, NY||0.62% ($22,941 average AGI)|
|from Steuben County, NY||0.51% ($28,181)|
|from Erie County, NY||0.44% ($30,113)|
5.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,101 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Independence:
- WLSV (790 AM; 1 kW; WELLSVILLE, NY; Owner: DBM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHHO (1320 AM; 5 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WABH (1380 AM; 10 kW; BATH, NY)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WLEA (1480 AM; 3 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WFRM (600 AM; 1 kW; COUDERSPORT, PA; Owner: FARM & HOME BROADCASTING CO.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WLNL (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: LIGHTHOUSE MEDIA, INC.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWLZ (820 AM; 4 kW; HORSEHEADS, NY; Owner: CHEMUNG COUNTY RADIO, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Independence:
- WZKZ (101.9 FM; ALFRED, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WJQZ (103.5 FM; WELLSVILLE, NY; Owner: DBM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKPQ (105.3 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WSQA (88.7 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- WFRM-FM (96.7 FM; COUDERSPORT, PA; Owner: FARM & HOME BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WETD (90.7 FM; ALFRED, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WCID (89.1 FM; FRIENDSHIP, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCKR (92.1 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHKS (94.9 FM; PORT ALLEGANY, PA; Owner: L-COM INC.)
- W257AX (99.3 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WDNY-FM (93.9 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MILLER MEDIA INC.)
- WCIK (103.1 FM; BATH, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WPIG (95.7 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: ARROW COMMUNICATIONS OF N.Y., INC.)
- WMTT (94.7 FM; TIOGA, PA; Owner: EUROPA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W201CY (88.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MARS HILL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WOLN (91.3 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- W246AP (97.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF THE FINGER LAKES)
- WGMM (97.7 FM; BIG FLATS, NY; Owner: EOLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W282AC (104.3 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCOG-FM (100.7 FM; GALETON, PA; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Independence:
- W64AJ (Channel 64; WHITESVILLE, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- W16BE (Channel 16; HORNELL, NY; Owner: WYDC, INC.)
- W61AJ (Channel 61; ANDOVER, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 13Number of bridges
- 15m49ftTotal length
- $4,980,000Total costs
- 7,878Total average daily traffic
- 840Total average daily truck traffic
- 10,116Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Penn York Energy Corporation Office (Lat: 42.090056 Lon: -77.768333), Call Sign: KTO775, Licensee ID: L00069692
Assigned Frequencies: 48.9800 MHzGrant Date: 01/20/2011, Expiration Date: 03/19/2021Registrant: National Fuel Gas Supply Corporation
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (70%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Wood (9%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Independence compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.