We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||45.4 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05777.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $25,620 (it was $16,756 in 2000)
Ira town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $193,115 (it was $102,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $261,292; Detached houses: $271,472; Townhouses or other attached units: $240,441; In 2-unit structures: $474,703; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $302,762; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $179,304; Mobile homes: $94,084
Races in Ira, VT (2010)
- 42498.1%White alone
- 20.5%American Indian alone
- 20.5%Two or more races
- 10.2%Black alone
|Retire to Vermont (39 replies)|
|Single-payer system: will you stay or go? (79 replies)|
|Retirement-dreams question: How do Upstate NY, Vermont, &NH compare re: tax burden & cost of living? (10 replies)|
|Why is so much negativity directed at Vermont? (63 replies)|
|Keurig Green Mountain to be sold for $14B (5 replies)|
|Essex Junction (18 replies)|
Latest news from Ira, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (22.6%), Polish (20.9%), English (16.5%), French (12.7%), United States (12.1%), German (11.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 859 feet
Land area: 21.3 square miles.
Population density: 20 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Ira:
- High school or higher: 90.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 24.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ira town:
- Never married: 24.8%
- Now married: 63.1%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.4%
- Divorced: 6.6%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Ira town:||1.5% ($1,491)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (67.1 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (131.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (191.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: West Rutland, VT (1.9 miles ), Clarendon, VT (2.2 miles ), Middletown Springs, VT (2.4 miles ), Rutland, VT (2.5 miles ), Tinmouth, VT (2.6 miles ), Wallingford, VT (2.6 miles ), Proctor, VT (2.8 miles ), Castleton, VT (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 43.55 N, Longitude: 73.07 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Transportation equipment (10%)
- Hardware, plumbing and heating equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers (6%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- U. S. Postal service (4%)
- Health care (23%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (4%)
- Registered nurses (11%)
- Customer service representatives (10%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (7%)
- Child care workers (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Ira, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Ira-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Vermont state average. It is 69% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 33.6 miles away from the Ira town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 42.9 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Ira-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 69.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 72.7 miles away from Ira center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 73.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 72.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 65.6 miles away from Ira center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 103.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Rutland County (13) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 7, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Leonard F. Wing - Army.
Hospitals and medical centers near Ira:
- VERMONT ACHIEVEMENT CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
- THE PINES AT RUTLAND CENTER FOR NURSING AND REHABI (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
- FLETCHER ALLEN HEALTHCARE - RRMC SATELLITE (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
- RUTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 7 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW CENTER GENESIS HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
- RUTLAND HEALTHCARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
- RUTLAND AREA VNA (Home Health Center, about 7 miles away; RUTLAND, VT)
Amtrak stations near Ira:
- 7 miles: RUTLAND (MERCHANTS ROW) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 11 miles: FAIR HAVEN (DEPOT & WATER STS.)
- 16 miles: KILLINGTON (RTE 4) - Seasonal Bus Station . Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ira:
- Castleton State College (about 8 miles; Castleton, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,079)
- Adirondack Community College (about 33 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Middlebury College (about 33 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Dartmouth College (about 41 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Norwich University (about 46 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Skidmore College (about 48 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 49 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
Notable locations in Ira: Ira Town Hall (A), Ira Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Ira: Ira Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Riverside Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 41.7. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.459. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 6.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 6.62. This is about average. Closest monitor was 6.2 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.918. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 6.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 12.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 6.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.86. This is about average. Closest monitor was 6.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Ira town (based on Rutland County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Rutland County:||3.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rutland County:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rutland County:||7.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.23% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,004 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($158 average AGI)
Rutland County: 0.04% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Addison County, VT||0.36% ($27,426 average AGI)|
|from Chittenden County, VT||0.30% ($29,063)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.30% ($24,696)|
4.98% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,088 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved to foreign countries ($182 average AGI)
Rutland County: 0.04% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Ira:
- WSYB (1380 AM; 5 kW; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVNR (1340 AM; 1 kW; POULTNEY, VT; Owner: PINE TREE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
Strongest FM radio stations in Ira:
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WEXP (101.5 FM; BRANDON, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C.)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WLJH (90.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE INC)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Ira:
- W07AG (Channel 7; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: WNYT INC.)
- W69AR (Channel 69; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MT. MANSFIELD TELEVISION, INC.)
- WVER (Channel 28; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- W61CE (Channel 61; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MARGARET SANGUINETTI (ADMINISTRATRIX OF THE ESTATE))
Ira fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $740,000Total costs
- 7,710Total average daily traffic
- 462Total average daily truck traffic
- 10,795Total future (year 2016) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Herrick, Lat: 43.565444 Lon: -73.098806, Type: Upole, Structure height: 18 m, Overall height: 19 m, Call Sign: WQIG801
Assigned Frequencies: 3653.00 MHzGrant Date: 02/06/2008, Expiration Date: 02/06/2018, Certifier: Josh GarzaRegistrant: Rini Coran, Pc, 1140 19th Street, Nw Suite 600, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 463-4310, Fax: (202) 296-2014, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (74%)
- Wood (17%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Electricity (2%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Ira compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.